Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2019 AZTR Race Discussion Reply #220 on: April 30, 2019, 09:02:03 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: April 30, 2019, 09:02:03 AM »

Update on Miroslav Franek. Got word this morning that he had to scratch in Jacob Lake due to an international return flight home on Monday. Sucks to be so close and not be able to finish what you started. Sounded like conditions were fairly miserable on the North Rim, cold rain/sleet.

We should have 3 more finishers today. Dave W. is on the final singletrack north of US89A. And our ITT duo of Evan & Justin M. should get rolling soon. Sounds like they may wait a bit in hopes the trail dries out some.

http://schillingsworth.blogspot.com/
I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to.

Ultra Endurance Profile Posters & More...:
Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR Race Discussion Reply #221 on: April 30, 2019, 10:37:56 AM
Jalene

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 30, 2019, 10:37:56 AM »

I'm still cheering for Max!  He's been at HAB speed for a while this morning.  Wondering if he's run into some death mud, maybe?

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR Race Discussion Reply #222 on: April 30, 2019, 02:55:55 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: April 30, 2019, 02:55:55 PM »

#AZT19 - Eric M Morton called in leaving Flagstaff!

http://mtbcast.com/site2/category/azt19/

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR Race Discussion Reply #223 on: April 30, 2019, 05:42:07 PM
DeanHill

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 30, 2019, 05:42:07 PM »

Eric's track looks odd coming into Flagstaff.   

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR Race Discussion Reply #224 on: April 30, 2019, 08:14:19 PM
flyboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: April 30, 2019, 08:14:19 PM »

Dave W is going to be a yo-yo ride!!
Apparently he slashed a tyre between Jacob Lake and Stateline so is trying to scrounge one from one of the other finishers on account of bike shops being thin on the ground at Stateline. Once he gets that sorted we can all stave off the post race dot watching blues by tuning in on “the grape”.  headbang

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR Race Discussion Reply #225 on: April 30, 2019, 08:47:11 PM
phatmike

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: April 30, 2019, 08:47:11 PM »

Dave W is going to be a yo-yo ride!!
Apparently he slashed a tyre between Jacob Lake and Stateline so is trying to scrounge one from one of the other finishers on account of bike shops being thin on the ground at Stateline. Once he gets that sorted we can all stave off the post race dot watching blues by tuning in on “the grape”.  headbang

That’s crazy and amazing. 10 day weather window looks good...

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR Race Discussion Reply #226 on: May 01, 2019, 01:36:11 AM
flyboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: May 01, 2019, 01:36:11 AM »

That’s crazy and amazing. 10 day weather window looks good...

10 days?! No pressure Dave!  thumbsup

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR Race Discussion Reply #227 on: May 01, 2019, 03:32:34 AM
Beagle

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 01, 2019, 03:32:34 AM »

No pressure Dave!

That's the problem, no pressure.

Let's hope he gets that tyre working, or a spare and back out on the trails.

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR Race Discussion Reply #228 on: May 01, 2019, 10:21:31 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: May 01, 2019, 10:21:31 AM »

Well, unfortunately that didn't last long. Got a text from DW a bit ago, tire won't hold air and other issues have him scratching the yo-yo. Sad

http://schillingsworth.blogspot.com/
I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to.

Ultra Endurance Profile Posters & More...:
Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR Race Discussion Reply #229 on: May 02, 2019, 07:27:41 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 02, 2019, 07:27:41 PM »

Maybe a bit premature as there are still a couple dots out on the map... I mean riders out on course.. icon_biggrin  but I think it's a good time to say Thank You and Congratulations to our new 'unofficial/official' AZTR RD for a heckuva job in his first year. Giant shoes to fill taking over this beast from Scott and you certainly knocked it out! Steady information updates, tough calls when required and constant positive vibes.

thumbsup Great Job John! thumbsup

Goes without saying heckuva job to all the racers (friends) too... It was a fun one to watch!  thumbsup

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR Race Discussion Reply #230 on: May 02, 2019, 08:25:57 PM
DustyChap

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 02, 2019, 08:25:57 PM »

👍   Agreed!!!

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR Race Discussion Reply #231 on: May 03, 2019, 07:58:38 AM
phatmike

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 03, 2019, 07:58:38 AM »

Maybe a bit premature as there are still a couple dots out on the map... I mean riders out on course.. icon_biggrin  but I think it's a good time to say Thank You and Congratulations to our new 'unofficial/official' AZTR RD for a heckuva job in his first year. Giant shoes to fill taking over this beast from Scott and you certainly knocked it out! Steady information updates, tough calls when required and constant positive vibes.

thumbsup Great Job John! thumbsup

Goes without saying heckuva job to all the racers (friends) too... It was a fun one to watch!  thumbsup

Hear, hear!

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR Race Discussion Reply #232 on: May 03, 2019, 09:02:47 AM
evdog

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 03, 2019, 09:02:47 AM »

For sure, great job John!

I got to the finish on Tuesday as Dave was trying to re-seat his tire.  3 Miller lites later, no dice.  I had to get out of there, looks like I just missed Justin rolling in after I left. 

Great race!  I had a couple great days getting to base of Molino HAB on day 2 before Mt Lemmon had its way with me in the heat.  Had been thinking sub 4d 300 finish prior to that.  Kept up a steady pace after that and was able to ride with some of the faster racers on and off until around Pine when they pulled away for good.  Hit the worst part of both Highline and then Happy jack in the dark and just wasn't feeling it so took early nights to hit those in daytime.  Lost my phone just past Flagstaff which was a bummer, most photos gone.  Opted to slow down at the Canyon and do it in daylight, then got hit with multiple rain storms on the hike out plus a bonus "welcome to Jacob Lake" evening lightning show complete with snow, hail and driving rain.  Thankfully they had vacancy.  Finished off the ride the next morning expecting death mud for the full experience but was able to ride through.  Then a 24hr odyssey of hitch-hiking, shuttle bus and rental car to get home a day late for work.  Already scheming where I can cut time off next time!  Great meeting everyone out there.  It puts the strong finish times in a whole new light once you've done the route yourself.  Nice work everyone!

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR Race Discussion Reply #233 on: May 03, 2019, 09:56:50 AM
phatmike

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 03, 2019, 09:56:50 AM »

I got to the finish on Tuesday as Dave was trying to re-seat his tire.  3 Miller lites later, no dice.  I had to get out of there, looks like I just missed Justin rolling in after I left. 

Great race!  I had a couple great days getting to base of Molino HAB on day 2 before Mt Lemmon had its way with me in the heat.  Had been thinking sub 4d 300 finish prior to that.  Kept up a steady pace after that and was able to ride with some of the faster racers on and off until around Pine when they pulled away for good.  Hit the worst part of both Highline and then Happy jack in the dark and just wasn't feeling it so took early nights to hit those in daytime.  Lost my phone just past Flagstaff which was a bummer, most photos gone.  Opted to slow down at the Canyon and do it in daylight, then got hit with multiple rain storms on the hike out plus a bonus "welcome to Jacob Lake" evening lightning show complete with snow, hail and driving rain.  Thankfully they had vacancy.  Finished off the ride the next morning expecting death mud for the full experience but was able to ride through.  Then a 24hr odyssey of hitch-hiking, shuttle bus and rental car to get home a day late for work.  Already scheming where I can cut time off next time!  Great meeting everyone out there.  It puts the strong finish times in a whole new light once you've done the route yourself.  Nice work everyone!

Congrats man - I really enjoyed watching your dot. Bummer about the phone. You always put together such great ride reports and was looking forward to it. Maybe through some crazy magic it makes its way back to you.

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR Race Discussion Reply #234 on: May 03, 2019, 07:05:02 PM
LandSharkBrian

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 03, 2019, 07:05:02 PM »

Great meeting you on the way down to SV, Evan - way to go on the 750!  It was fun with periods of real self-doubt, as usual, and I can't wait to do it again.  Now that the edge has come off and I've gotten a few days rest, I really wish I could be out there again, RIGHT NOW, attempting the whole trail!  I wondered how that would go over if I left a sticky note on the kitchen table, saying I was headed back out, for my wife to see when she got home from work today!

Anyway, nice job!

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR Race Discussion Reply #235 on: May 04, 2019, 11:34:59 AM
Jalene

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 04, 2019, 11:34:59 AM »

Now that the edge has come off and I've gotten a few days rest, I really wish I could be out there again, RIGHT NOW, attempting the whole trail!  I wondered how that would go over if I left a sticky note on the kitchen table, saying I was headed back out, for my wife to see when she got home from work today!

Well...your bike is still here, loaded and ready to go.  Just sayin'.

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR Race Discussion Reply #236 on: May 04, 2019, 07:11:49 PM
evdog

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 04, 2019, 07:11:49 PM »

Thanks guys!  Great meeting you as well Brian.  I had the same reaction when I did the 300 in 2017... felt strong and wished I could continue, was inches from calling my boss and telling him I wouldn't be back!

Dave Wicks had scratched, but looks like he is now heading south again from Stateline.  Hopefully he can finish the yo-yo if that's what is going on!  Max Milburn just hit the north rim.  Finish it!!

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR Race Discussion Reply #237 on: May 05, 2019, 12:10:36 AM
Beagle

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 05, 2019, 12:10:36 AM »

Dave Wicks had scratched, but looks like he is now heading south again from Stateline.  Hopefully he can finish the yo-yo if that's what is going on!

Dave has taken some outside assistance and has repaired his body and bike and after some soul searching to consider his next option he's returned to his original plan and is heading south as an ITT (unofficial yoyo).

To quote John off the facebook thread.

"If mountain bikers used trail names like through hikers do, David Wicks may be known as Skittles. His dot is covering the rainbow gamut: red, purple & now yellow. He got things sorted out in Flagstaff and will be restarting his SOBO ITT soon. Not quite a yo-yo since he accepted outside support in between, but we all know it pretty much is."

Looking forward to watching his dot again no matter the colour.

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR Race Discussion Reply #238 on: May 06, 2019, 07:21:58 AM
davew

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 06, 2019, 07:21:58 AM »

Whoa! the Canyon has a real arse kicking quality about it. Dehydratingly(a word?) hot, then the wind picked up for the climb out, strong headwinds and dust being thrown up. I was being pushed around in the exposed areas and the bike was like a whopping sail. At least it took my mind off the weight of the bike on my back, straps digging into nonexistent shoulders, and the hair being pulled out on the ankle strapping.

I gave my last three choc bars to a family whose backsides were being kick by a boot that was bigger than the one I was being kicked by. They’d done bright angel to phantom then up to Sth rim and had been walking since 6.30am.  They had no food or water left at 2 miles to go and were stopping more than I was.

At the top my backside was handed back to me but did not fit properly so I'm walking funny. The prices in Tusayan will no doubt help tighten things up a bit.

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR Race Discussion Reply #239 on: May 06, 2019, 07:30:13 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 06, 2019, 07:30:13 AM »

I have heard that if you go sobo it's all down hill.
  Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: