Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2019 AZTR 300/750 Race Preparation and Planning Thread on: November 10, 2018, 09:44:30 AM
dream4est

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2018, 09:44:30 AM »

The TD and CTR have planning threads so we need one for the AZTR. I am a definite maybe for the 750 lol.

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR 300/750 Race Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 12:21:24 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 12:21:24 PM »

Nice Mark! I hopin' to get down there for one of them... long course or short April without some Arizona desert fun just wouldn't be right!

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR 300/750 Race Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 05:15:42 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 05:15:42 AM »

Florence Kelvin TH

I am working on the legal for Ebikes course lol.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 05:27:01 AM by AZTtripper » Logged

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR 300/750 Race Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 07:02:59 AM
LandSharkBrian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 07:02:59 AM »

I'm in for the 300!  One year off is too much lol!   headbang

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR 300/750 Race Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 09:52:28 AM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 09:52:28 AM »

Start date has been changed.
April 18th
Also looks like a new webpage is being worked on:

http://topofusion.com/azt/race.php

Edit- looks like the start date was changed in july:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1331031780291249/permalink/1937590976301990/
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 10:01:39 AM by dream4est » Logged

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR 300/750 Race Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 04:23:13 PM
Messfromthemidwest

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 04:23:13 PM »

Hey there, aiming for the 300 next year - I'm relatively new to bikepack racing with just a couple events under my belt. Currently set up on a fully rigid bike and not opposed to getting a suspension fork but just wondering if anyone has done the 300 on a rigid set up? Thanks!

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR 300/750 Race Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 08:43:09 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 08:43:09 PM »

Hey there, aiming for the 300 next year - I'm relatively new to bikepack racing with just a couple events under my belt. Currently set up on a fully rigid bike and not opposed to getting a suspension fork but just wondering if anyone has done the 300 on a rigid set up? Thanks!

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

Both the 750 and the 300 have been completed successfully on rigid bikes, rigid single speeds even. Most people who have done it or ride down there will likely agree that you'll be thankful for the front suspension if you decide to add it, especially for the 300.

Most will also likely say something along the lines of 'ride what you're comfortable on'... 'it's been done on all kinds of bike set ups'... 'go full suspension if you can'...  icon_biggrin  icon_biggrin icon_biggrin

At the end of it all, whatever your set up, that weekend in April riding in the desert always ends up being one of the best bike rides of the year.

Good Luck in your prep!

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR 300/750 Race Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 09:14:18 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 09:14:18 AM »

Hey Mark,
Yep, you are correct. New website in the works. I'm trying to get it done ASAP, but life/work keeps getting in the way. It's mostly the same info with updated pics/graphs, etc. Moving it over to a WordPress site.

I guess I'll throw this out to the AZTR hive: Is there anything in particular you all would like to see that's not on the current site? Might as well take some suggestions and see if I can incorporate it without too much issue.

For those who haven't heard:

Going forward the start date will be the 3rd Thursday in April each year to help alleviate any guessing of the start date. Just plan for a hot start...or rain...or snow!!

AZT300/750: Small route change at the top of Mt. Lemmon. In a nutshell, rider's will still climb the paved Catalina Hwy from Prison Camp, Mt. Bigelow spigot is still on route (Palisades). Continue up the pavement about 1 mile, turning right onto Mt. Bigelow Rd. (across from the Whitetail CG), climb a bit more on dirt road, then descend a ripping winding dirt road and join the 1918 trail (unsigned). Continue downhill on singletrack!! Cross the Hwy and continue on 1918, then link into Sunset trail. This is where the fun really begins!! Enjoy the incredible inner canyon views that you can't see from the Catalina Hwy while in downhill HAB mode. You're welcome. This trail eventually dumps in the Marshall Gulch TH, official link to the AZT BTW, the gradually climb up the paved road into the thriving community of Summerhaven. Yes, it is now ON route. Re-supply here, then make your way over to the Oracle Ridge TH and the current route. If you want a sneak peek at some pics from this section, see my ride report from a while back (pay no attention to the stuff after my Oracle Ridge TH sign pic, the Crystal Spring & Butterfly trails are NOT part of the route!!)

Here's the Trailforks area map for Mt. Lemmon, 1918 is listed as blue (intermediate) & Sunset is red (Double Black Diamond!!)

Ripsey area: Last weekend I rode from Tiger Mine TH (Oracle) to Kelvin. Trail is in really good shape although the smooth Boulders segment does have a ton of ruts from the monsoon season. Be careful rippin' through there!! Darkness was encroaching on our ride and we failed to see the new singletrack being constructed after the Boulders segment. By the looks of it, it should be completed by April. I'll get out there to update the 300/750 track. This new addition should bypass that crappy powerline segment (~2 miles) before peeling off to the Ripsey stuff. Speaking of Ripsey, the mining operation is definitely moving forward with their plans to use Ripsey wash for mine tailings. The AZT is unaffected, as of now, but as you near the Gila River crossing in Kelvin, you'll notice a brand new very high bridge towering over the old one-lane bridge. The track really isn't affected and it's still very easy to access the ADOT spigot for water & pizza delivery from Kearney!!

Two weeks ago I rode the Picketpost to Kelvin segment. Trail along the Gila is fantastic, poppies were already showing!! Should be a phenomenal year for wildflowers. The Gila Canyons section of trail is a bit chewed up from the rains, but only in sections. It's about as rideable as expected. There's currently one down Saguaro up in Martinez Canyon that was a little tricky to navigate over. The Gila River was so low, we could simply ride straight across near Cochran, this is where you should filter during the ride. Do NOT expect the cache box after crossing FR4 aka Telegraph Canyon Rd to have any public water. Besides, hikers need this resource much more than bikers, so PLEASE filter plenty of water at the Gila before making the often scorching final push of 21 miles to Picketpost.

750 riders: There was to be a significant route change this year, but after some recon (still ongoing) and discussion with Scott, it will be added as OPTIONAL this year. Maybe for those 750 vets looking for a new challenge, different scenery, more AZT??? This option essentially cuts out the Apache Trail (AZ88) and Tonto Basin pavement (AZ188). It takes a primarily dirt & singletrack route from the north end of the Jacob Crosscut Trail to Jake's Corner. It may add a day to the current route. We'd love a firsthand report or three in April!!

Here's a route description: From the end of Jacob Crosscut trail, cross AZ88 and pick up some social singletrack and dirt roads in the Goldfield Mtns. head down Bulldog Canyon to the Bush Hwy. A couple miles of pavement (re-supply available at Saguaro Lake Marina - Restaurant & snack bar with decent hours), then head down to Butcher Jones recreation site (no camping here, but there are pit toilets and water can be filter from Saguaro Lake easily). Enter OHV area, may be sandy for ~1 mile or so, begin climbing out of the wash on dirt roads, endure one ultra steep HAB, then join Four Peaks Rd. Climb. Then climb some more. 16 miles or so later you'll reach the cattle guard marking the top where you'll link up to the AZT!! (Passage 21 - Pine Mountain) Continue on dirt road (AZT) for ~10 miles, then hop on singletrack and navigate your way towards the tiny outpost of Sunflower. (No services) There should be water available to filter in Sycamore Creek before going under AZ87. Begin Passage 22 - Saddle Mountain. 5 more miles of singletrack await, then exit near Cross F Ranch, ride the old pavement of the defunct AZ87 for a short bit, then turn left onto FR201 & climb. Climb some more. 201 gets you back up high into the Mazatzal Mountains (most of which is Wilderness), back up in the pines you'll come to trail #47 Goldridge Trail. Descend for ~5 miles to the Deer Creek TH where you'll cross AZ87 and ride the shoulder of AZ188 into Jake's Corner for a much needed & well deserved re-supply. Continue on current route. I believe this option adds 22 miles overall & 7500' additional gain.  thumbsup

There's also some new singletrack up north on the Happy Jack passage!! Hooray!! That stuff is already signed and open for business. Here are some pics: Happy Jack

As you can see, lots happening!! Keep the AZT stoke alive!!

I'm planning on the 300, but may do it as an ITT on Friday to save a vacation day.

http://schillingsworth.blogspot.com/
I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to.

Ultra Endurance Profile Posters & More...:
Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR 300/750 Race Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 10:22:41 AM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 10:22:41 AM »

That's great news John sounds like it will be a blast in 2019.  Summerhaven food saved the day for me last year so going there on route good deal.

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR 300/750 Race Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 07:04:41 PM
krefs

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 07:04:41 PM »

Yeehaw, John! That sounds awesome, especially the bit of new trail toward the top of Lemmon! I consistently have so much trouble staying awake for that much pavement.

Count me in for another run at the 750!

Just kidding  icon_biggrin

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR 300/750 Race Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 09:54:45 PM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 09:54:45 PM »

I forgot one very important bit of news!! The closed Rincon Market on Old Spanish Trail has re-opened!!! It's now called the Rocking K Market. This is great news for Tucson re-supply options, putting a mainstay back on route!!

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR 300/750 Race Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #11 on: December 01, 2018, 05:06:43 AM
Brian McEntire

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2018, 05:06:43 AM »

I have been thinking of a go at this monster for several years. It’s looking like the stars are aligning for that to happen now. I’ve been reading up on past planning threads (2015-current), reading blogs and scheming logistics. Today I will join the ATA and I officially throw my hat in the ring. I’m in for the 750. I’m excited....and a bit scared. Smiley

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR 300/750 Race Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #12 on: December 01, 2018, 07:45:47 AM
LandSharkBrian

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2018, 07:45:47 AM »

John, great news about all the new trail.  While speaking of additional HAB, why didn't you guys go up Bigelow trail right behind the spigot, up to the top of the mountain?  Seems like that would be right in keeping with your mad style. 

Great news about the market reopen, and really cool about the pavement bypass up to Jake's.  Man, that's quite the re-route getting off all that pavement will be a great thing (next time I'm in the market for thumping by the 750).

Brian

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR 300/750 Race Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #13 on: December 02, 2018, 07:37:53 PM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2018, 07:37:53 PM »

Welcome to the AZT Brian #1!!

Brian #2, that's you LandShark!! I originally thought about the Bigelow HAB, but it doesn't really make sense. If HAB gets added to the route, there really needs to be good reasoning behind it. That stuff would only be an add-on for the sake of adding HAB, not the intent of the route - believe it or not!!

Went out today on Passage 22, north of Sunflower on the optional stuff, to do some trimming, etc. and almost immediately got shut down by death mud. Yuck. I thought I swore that stuff off!!

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR 300/750 Race Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #14 on: December 03, 2018, 05:57:49 AM
Brian McEntire

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2018, 05:57:49 AM »

I went to the AZ Land Dept site for a recreational permit and could not find where is said if the permit is for a calendar year or a year from date of purchase. I decided to just set a reminder to purchase it in January to avoid an issue, but my question remains. Any vets care to elaborate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR 300/750 Race Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #15 on: December 03, 2018, 10:45:27 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2018, 10:45:27 AM »

Brian, the State Trust Rec permit is good for one year from date of purchase.

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR 300/750 Race Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #16 on: December 03, 2018, 10:56:23 AM
Brian McEntire

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2018, 10:56:23 AM »

Thanks John. Next question- I have seen the thread about sleep systems for the 300, but haven't ben able to find much of anything on the 750. Coming from the Midwest without reference, I am curious what others prefer when they get up north. I know there is a greater chance of precip and colder temps farther north. I am considering 20F+bivy. Overkill?

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR 300/750 Race Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #17 on: December 03, 2018, 04:40:37 PM
Paw Margl Machacek

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2018, 04:40:37 PM »

Hi,
I am from Czech Republic, Prague city in the mid of Europe. I am preparing for AZT in 2019. I am sure it will be my race of the year however it is pretty soon for me due to cold weather here which is usually up to March.
I should persuade my wife this "holiday" will be the best Christmas present for me  icon_biggrin
I am looking forward you.
Margl
PS: Last year I received Colorado Trail race as Christmas gift and I suffered it till the finish in Durango headbang

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR 300/750 Race Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #18 on: December 03, 2018, 06:54:57 PM
aarond

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2018, 06:54:57 PM »

Thanks for all the work and updates John Schilling!  Wow, the potential new section after Jacob Crosscut adding a day to the 750!
Welcome Margl from Czech Republic, it is worth the trip;)

Topic Name: 2019 AZTR 300/750 Race Preparation and Planning Thread Reply #19 on: December 04, 2018, 04:12:27 AM
Jakob

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2018, 04:12:27 AM »

I am from Denmark Margl, did the 750 in 2017 and managed the transition from the cold north to the desert heat without significant problems. Just remember to drink lots of water, and then some. I am doing the 750 again in 2019.
  Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: