Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2018 AZTR300/750 Planning Thread Reply #160 on: February 24, 2018, 04:26:41 PM
LandSharkBrian

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 24, 2018, 04:26:41 PM »

Landsharkbrian, great read by the way.  I was one of the guys near the gargantuan van haha.  I can assure you I wasn't passed out, more frozen solid.  That was a coooold night.

Yeah?  More proof that the valleys are colder than the hilltops.  Thanks!

Topic Name: 2018 AZTR300/750 Planning Thread Reply #161 on: February 27, 2018, 05:02:48 AM
flyboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: February 27, 2018, 05:02:48 AM »

Just tuning back in here.

This issue is still not resolved.  It is something everyone considering or doing the 750 needs to know about.

The park service is saying that SR67 is closed to cyclists until May 15th, due to safety reasons.  From what I can gather it is unlikely to be an issue on the ground because few people in the park service agree with it.  That said, it does have the potential to become a major issue, and if the wrong person is encountered at the wrong time, well...

One option is to have the race end on one of the rims (north or south) and if people want to continue on, they may at their own risk.

This year it is sure shaping up as one where the trail may be rideable (is there even any snow yet?) in which case I'd opt to rescind the 'snow detour' that SR67 is, anyway.  That may be the way we deal with it this year.

Schillingsworth -- will wait for the deets on extra singletrack.  Those first couple miles of Apache Trail wouldn't be sorely missed, presuming the HAB quotient isn't too high.

Scott, if we do go with the full AZT on the North Rim this year would it be considered good form to get a backcountry permit or is it best to keep a low profile? Happy to go with what you locals recommend as being an international, I wouldn’t want to reflect badly on the race by doing the wrong thing.

Topic Name: 2018 AZTR300/750 Planning Thread Reply #162 on: February 27, 2018, 08:15:18 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: February 27, 2018, 08:15:18 AM »

Scott, if we do go with the full AZT on the North Rim this year would it be considered good form to get a backcountry permit or is it best to keep a low profile? Happy to go with what you locals recommend as being an international, I wouldn’t want to reflect badly on the race by doing the wrong thing.

That's a good question.  A lot of people do find the need to camp out of the canyon (and being out of the canyon is *much* better -- do not camp in the canyon without a permit!) once they cross.  As far as I know you do need a permit to camp in the park, even up on the rim.  There's the 'hiker/biker' site in the campground where cyclists are welcome at any time, but that's a little out of the way.

One thing to remember is that you exit the park after 9 (or 11?) miles.  Once in National Forest dispersed camping is allowed, so from there to the Utah border, camping is available everywhere.

If pulling a permit to camp in the canyon (e.g. the thru-hiker overflow site) then it's probably worth asking about a backcountry permit for up on the rim, if you think you might need it.  Otherwise, I wouldn't bother and plan to get out of the park before camping.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: 2018 AZTR300/750 Planning Thread Reply #163 on: February 28, 2018, 08:19:44 AM
hanyo66

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: February 28, 2018, 08:19:44 AM »

I guess I never considered obtaining a backcountry permit until now. I know there are provisions for AZT riders and you can get them as a walk in at the south rim...but we're coming SOBO and everything is closed up north.

Should I send away for one to the address in the site below and note we're doing the AZT?
https://grandcanyon.com/planning/backcountry-permit-procedures/

www.leehanyo.com
www.instagram.com/hanyo66
- 1x DNF'er of AZTR 750 SOBO
- Currently working on establishing an official bikepacking route in the Allegheny NF

Topic Name: 2018 AZTR300/750 Planning Thread Reply #164 on: March 01, 2018, 05:38:29 AM
flyboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: March 01, 2018, 05:38:29 AM »

That's a good question.  A lot of people do find the need to camp out of the canyon (and being out of the canyon is *much* better -- do not camp in the canyon without a permit!) once they cross.  As far as I know you do need a permit to camp in the park, even up on the rim.  There's the 'hiker/biker' site in the campground where cyclists are welcome at any time, but that's a little out of the way.

One thing to remember is that you exit the park after 9 (or 11?) miles.  Once in National Forest dispersed camping is allowed, so from there to the Utah border, camping is available everywhere.

If pulling a permit to camp in the canyon (e.g. the thru-hiker overflow site) then it's probably worth asking about a backcountry permit for up on the rim, if you think you might need it.  Otherwise, I wouldn't bother and plan to get out of the park before camping.

Ok, thanks Scott. I should be able to drag my carcase out of the park before lying down. Under the radar it is!

Topic Name: 2018 AZTR300/750 Planning Thread Reply #165 on: March 01, 2018, 08:31:02 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: March 01, 2018, 08:31:02 AM »

Ok, thanks Scott. I should be able to drag my carcase out of the park before lying down. Under the radar it is!

Yeah, I guess to sum up, you might ask about a backcountry permit if getting a permit to camp in the canyon anyway.  But if you aren't going to visit the backcountry office, I wouldn't bother.  And always camp as discretely (out of sight and Leave No Trace!) as possible.

I guess I never considered obtaining a backcountry permit until now. I know there are provisions for AZT riders and you can get them as a walk in at the south rim...but we're coming SOBO and everything is closed up north.

Should I send away for one to the address in the site below and note we're doing the AZT?
https://grandcanyon.com/planning/backcountry-permit-procedures/

For SOBO you can better predict your timing, so it would be possible to get a permit in advance.  That might work well for camping in the Canyon (e.g. Cottonwood or Phantom Ranch) but for SOBO you shouldn't need to camp in the park and on the north rim, so I would not bother with a backcountry permit for that.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: 2018 AZTR300/750 Planning Thread Reply #166 on: March 02, 2018, 11:50:07 AM
Dinodinodino

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: March 02, 2018, 11:50:07 AM »

I wonder if I'm the only one anxiously and constantly checking back here waiting for the Trackleaders sign-up link.   icon_biggrin 

Only about month away and I'm super excited...and a bit scared.

Topic Name: 2018 AZTR300/750 Planning Thread Reply #167 on: March 02, 2018, 12:02:50 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 02, 2018, 12:02:50 PM »

I wonder if I'm the only one anxiously and constantly checking back here waiting for the Trackleaders sign-up link.   icon_biggrin 

Nope you're not the only one. I've just watched Aaron's video again over a cup of tea, getting ready to head out the door for another cold wet ride. Can't wait for the desert!

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: 2018 AZTR300/750 Planning Thread Reply #168 on: March 02, 2018, 12:14:09 PM
hanyo66

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: March 02, 2018, 12:14:09 PM »

I wonder if I'm the only one anxiously and constantly checking back here waiting for the Trackleaders sign-up link.   icon_biggrin  

If I had a SPOT tracker, I would be too! haha

www.leehanyo.com
- Currently working on establishing an official bikepacking route in the Allegheny NF

Topic Name: 2018 AZTR300/750 Planning Thread Reply #169 on: March 04, 2018, 06:44:48 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: March 04, 2018, 06:44:48 PM »

It'll go live on the race site tomorrow AM, sometime after I drink my morning coffee...

Topic Name: 2018 AZTR300/750 Planning Thread Reply #170 on: March 04, 2018, 07:15:45 PM
Ron Thomson

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 04, 2018, 07:15:45 PM »

icon_biggrin icon_biggrin

Topic Name: 2018 AZTR300/750 Planning Thread Reply #171 on: March 05, 2018, 08:17:33 AM
hanyo66

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: March 05, 2018, 08:17:33 AM »

Tying up some more loose ends here.

Brainstorming on bike airline travel and logistics and might need some advice.

We are flying from Pittsburgh to Phoenix, then Phoenix to Page. I have that part covered, as we will be bringing our bikes in BikeFlight boxes on the plane(s) with us. Riding SOBO.

Where I need advice on would be making this as easy as possible to either fly with or ship our bikes back when we finish.

My current idea is this:
- Fly with bikes from Pitt to Page.
- Assemble bikes in Page
- Fedex empty bike boxes from Page down to either a Fedex holding location or a hotel in Tucson
- Catch our shuttle out to Stateline
- Do the AZT
- When we finish, we will head to Sierra Vista and then we are catching a shuttle up to Tucson
- Pick up bike boxes from either Fedex location or hotel
- Ship back home or take on plane when we leave AZ

Anybody see anything wrong with that or have a better idea of coordinating this? It's the last thing on my plate to figure out before April. So excited it's almost here!

www.leehanyo.com

Topic Name: 2018 AZTR300/750 Planning Thread Reply #172 on: March 05, 2018, 09:13:21 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: March 05, 2018, 09:13:21 AM »

It'll go live on the race site tomorrow AM, sometime after I drink my morning coffee...

It has been a cruisey morning....  live now:

https://form.jotform.com/trackleaders/aztr18

Who will win the race to sign up to the race?  Last year it was none other than El Freako if I recall.

Topic Name: 2018 AZTR300/750 Planning Thread Reply #173 on: March 05, 2018, 09:25:22 AM
Dinodinodino

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: March 05, 2018, 09:25:22 AM »

Done!  Thanks Scott!  Very exciting!

Topic Name: 2018 AZTR300/750 Planning Thread Reply #174 on: March 05, 2018, 04:30:38 PM
davew

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 05, 2018, 04:30:38 PM »

Hey Scott,

When can we consider the gpx file as finalised?

Topic Name: 2018 AZTR300/750 Planning Thread Reply #175 on: March 05, 2018, 06:54:26 PM
flyboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: March 05, 2018, 06:54:26 PM »

It has been a cruisey morning....  live now:

https://form.jotform.com/trackleaders/aztr18

Who will win the race to sign up to the race?  Last year it was none other than El Freako if I recall.

Probably not me, but I wouldn’t be far off.  occasion14

Right! Signed up with the receipt to prove it.........and quietly getting very nervous...... icon_puke_l

Topic Name: 2018 AZTR300/750 Planning Thread Reply #176 on: March 05, 2018, 07:34:04 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: March 05, 2018, 07:34:04 PM »

Hey Scott,

When can we consider the gpx file as finalised?

Not until there's a 2018 on it.

Jeremy Hardwick from Boise wins the race to the race, by a mere two minutes.  Congrats!  Wink

Topic Name: 2018 AZTR300/750 Planning Thread Reply #177 on: March 05, 2018, 08:21:40 PM
krefs

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 05, 2018, 08:21:40 PM »

It's finally time for me to have another adventure on the 750!

Scott, I think the Kaibab Plateau is going to be snow-free by April unless there's a big Spring storm. Maybe we should axe that snow detour for this year and put the most rideable miles of AZT into the race for real! Whaddya think?

And my thoughts on a few questions folks have asked...suspension front and rear and knobby 2.4" tires with reinforced casings are what I'd strongly recommend for this route, as well as shoes in which your feet will be happy hiking miles. (And there are still hundreds of miles of rugged trail after the end of the 300!)

Nothing about the AZT is similar to Tour Divide, or any other bikepacking race with which I'm familiar. Come expecting *slow*, challenging singletrack, lots of rocks (and then add a lot more rocks for good measure), ample hike-a-bike, hot days, and cold nights. There have even been blizzards out there a couple different years! It's absolutely amazing, but, as mentioned above, do your homework so you show up with your expectations set within the realm of reason.

And join the Arizona Trail Association if you haven't already. Without all their work, we wouldn't be doing any of this - they deserve a donation from all of us.

Topic Name: 2018 AZTR300/750 Planning Thread Reply #178 on: March 06, 2018, 09:27:47 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: March 06, 2018, 09:27:47 AM »

Quick ride report for the 750/300 between Kelvin & First Water Rd. (Superstitions/Jacob Crosscut area) from this past weekend.

AZT along the Gila River is in amazing shape after Rob Bauer's trail work the past 2 seasons. Still challenging, no doubt, but some degrading sections are restored to rideable condition. No more barbed wire gates!! Also, not a single wildflower. Sad It was so insanely dry here from August to December. The only thing blooming are the Ocotillo & an occasional brittlebush. Catclaw along this stretch of AZT was virtually non-existent. Even the mesquite trees along the river corridor have been trimmed back.

Gold Canyon trails are riding well. The Jacob Crosscut trail has received even more love lately. Still a technical bit of trail, but it is such a wonderful trail now. I hope all the 750 riders get to experience it during the daylight/twilight hours.

http://schillingsworth.blogspot.com/
I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to.

Ultra Endurance Profile Posters & More...:
Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2018 AZTR300/750 Planning Thread Reply #179 on: March 06, 2018, 09:56:01 AM
Mtnrunner43

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 06, 2018, 09:56:01 AM »

For those who have done this in the 8-9 day range what is a suggested water carrying capacity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: