Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2018 AZTR300/750 Planning Thread Reply #280 on: March 29, 2018, 07:38:39 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 29, 2018, 07:38:39 AM »

Ok that makes sense. I will riding this section soon hopefully. Trail Forks is struggling with the 750 at least on my phone. MtbProject has the fence line, this is new for this year? Compared the track I have for 2017 with 18 and it looks new.

Funny that the Project picked up the fence update but not the Hewitt Station rerouting.

Trail Forks got the course loaded while I was typing looks, good thanks John.

TF has a ton more trails then MtbProject especially in the Gold canyon area. I wouldn't want to have to pull out and fire up the phone at every junction in that section, a bar mounted GPS will be key for sure.

Topic Name: 2018 AZTR300/750 Planning Thread Reply #281 on: March 29, 2018, 07:41:16 AM
hanyo66

View Profile WWW
« Reply #281 on: March 29, 2018, 07:41:16 AM »

Everyone getting excited?? One week to go....

So excited and so nervous haha. Got the travel problem straightened out which makes me feel better about that near catastrophe.

Only thing I'm sketched out about right now is the GC portage - and only about permits, as I wasn't able to secure one for camping. We should be getting to the North Rim late afternoon / early evening on the 6th. Debating on whether or not to just drop down into the canyon and hike all throughout the night and the next morning until we're finally out, or to sleep on the rim and get up super early and get going. I'd like to drop straight into the canyon and hike as much as I can overnight but I fear that I'll need an extended rest / sleep at some point, and don't want to get into any altercations with a ranger and get told to turn around or worse, get fined (as I've seen some posts online, this happens quite a bit for people that try to sleep in the canyon without a permit).

I watched Jakob's video that he posted last night and looks like he camped right on the trail a couple miles below the north rim.

www.leehanyo.com
www.instagram.com/hanyo66
- 1x DNF'er of AZTR 750 SOBO
- Currently working on establishing an official bikepacking route in the Allegheny NF

Topic Name: 2018 AZTR300/750 Planning Thread Reply #282 on: March 29, 2018, 08:43:55 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #282 on: March 29, 2018, 08:43:55 AM »

Ok that makes sense. I will riding this section soon hopefully. Trail Forks is struggling with the 750 at least on my phone. MtbProject has the fence line, this is new for this year? Compared the track I have for 2017 with 18 and it looks new.

Funny that the Project picked up the fence update but not the Hewitt Station rerouting.

Trail Forks got the course loaded while I was typing looks, good thanks John.

TF has a ton more trails then MtbProject especially in the Gold canyon area. I wouldn't want to have to pull out and fire up the phone at every junction in that section, a bar mounted GPS will be key for sure.

I find Trailforks to be much more robust than MTBProject. I do use both though, 95% Trailforks though.

Hanyo66: I'd highly recommend only camping in the Canyon if you have a permit. If you don't think you can make the full push when you arrive at the North Rim it may be best to grab some zzz's before dropping in. The last thing we need is for bikers to get hassled, fined, etc. for  sleeping/camping on the trail.

http://schillingsworth.blogspot.com/
I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to.

Ultra Endurance Profile Posters & More...:
Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2018 AZTR300/750 Planning Thread Reply #283 on: March 29, 2018, 08:47:32 AM
hanyo66

View Profile WWW
« Reply #283 on: March 29, 2018, 08:47:32 AM »

Hanyo66: I'd highly recommend only camping in the Canyon if you have a permit. If you don't think you can make the full push when you arrive at the North Rim it may be best to grab some zzz's before dropping in. The last thing we need is for bikers to get hassled, fined, etc. for  sleeping/camping on the trail.

I fully agree on the last part. I definitely don't want to ruin anything for anyone and want to be a good steward of the bikepacking community

www.leehanyo.com
- Currently working on establishing an official bikepacking route in the Allegheny NF

Topic Name: 2018 AZTR300/750 Planning Thread Reply #284 on: March 29, 2018, 08:54:37 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #284 on: March 29, 2018, 08:54:37 AM »

Oops, sorry all. When I updated the AZTR750 route to Trailforks this morning I had a cache issue with the file, the new addition over by the Superstitions didn't get added to that route!! Sorry.

Here's the updated current 750 route on Trailforks.

I deleted the other one, so if you clicked the 'save/wishlist' button, you'll need to do that again for this one.

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2018 AZTR300/750 Planning Thread Reply #285 on: March 29, 2018, 09:12:10 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: March 29, 2018, 09:12:10 AM »

BTW, the first 2 750 ITT'ers on on route!!

Trackleaders/AZTR750

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2018 AZTR300/750 Planning Thread Reply #286 on: March 29, 2018, 09:23:13 AM
Jeff Z

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 29, 2018, 09:23:13 AM »

So excited and so nervous haha. Got the travel problem straightened out which makes me feel better about that near catastrophe.

Only thing I'm sketched out about right now is the GC portage - and only about permits, as I wasn't able to secure one for camping. We should be getting to the North Rim late afternoon / early evening on the 6th. Debating on whether or not to just drop down into the canyon and hike all throughout the night and the next morning until we're finally out, or to sleep on the rim and get up super early and get going. I'd like to drop straight into the canyon and hike as much as I can overnight but I fear that I'll need an extended rest / sleep at some point, and don't want to get into any altercations with a ranger and get told to turn around or worse, get fined (as I've seen some posts online, this happens quite a bit for people that try to sleep in the canyon without a permit).

I watched Jakob's video that he posted last night and looks like he camped right on the trail a couple miles below the north rim.

Last year Rhino and I had no problems getting permits for Bright Angel, Cottonwood, or North Rim (for obvious reasons). You should check when you get there. I'll bet you can get a permit.
Also, we saw VERY few people after Bright Angel.

Topic Name: 2018 AZTR300/750 Planning Thread Reply #287 on: March 29, 2018, 09:41:55 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 29, 2018, 09:41:55 AM »

Last year Rhino and I had no problems getting permits for Bright Angel, Cottonwood, or North Rim (for obvious reasons). You should check when you get there. I'll bet you can get a permit.
Also, we saw VERY few people after Bright Angel.
He's coming form the north the back country office on that side is still closed.

Hanyo66 have you tried to get a spot at Phantom Ranch? Not sure if they do last minute reservations on the phone or only in person at the south rim.

Topic Name: 2018 AZTR300/750 Planning Thread Reply #288 on: March 29, 2018, 09:55:27 AM
hanyo66

View Profile WWW
« Reply #288 on: March 29, 2018, 09:55:27 AM »

He's coming form the north the back country office on that side is still closed.

Hanyo66 have you tried to get a spot at Phantom Ranch? Not sure if they do last minute reservations on the phone or only in person at the south rim.
I did the ol' fax hokey pokey as recommended by the backcountry permit website to no avail. I'm going to call Phantom Ranch after I get off work today and see what they say. I'm expecting to have to bust this thing out in one long ass push.

I've been down to the Colorado via Bright Angel before, as well as hiked to Havasu Falls and down to the Colorado with ~35-45 pound pack (camera gear is heavy!) so I have experience in the canyon with weight. Only thing I'm on the fence about is the timing of it, which I'm gonna have to figure out on the fly at this point.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 10:03:56 AM by hanyo66 » Logged

www.leehanyo.com

Topic Name: 2018 AZTR300/750 Planning Thread Reply #289 on: March 29, 2018, 04:26:30 PM
sundog99

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 29, 2018, 04:26:30 PM »

Anyone have an idea what the dirt road (House Rock Road) is like to the finish at Stateline trailhead?  The plan is for my wife to drive our motorhome to the finish, but if the road is too tough I'd just ride out to the highway (which sounds easier now than it will be at the time).  Thanks!

Topic Name: 2018 AZTR300/750 Planning Thread Reply #290 on: March 29, 2018, 06:20:30 PM
flyboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #290 on: March 29, 2018, 06:20:30 PM »

I plan on through hiking the canyon in one hit but I can't find anything definitive about food at Phantom Ranch. I see most people talk about getting a Sprite or a Mountain Dew but I can't see that anyone eats there. Is there "proper" food that can be bought there and is it available to the walk up public? Is this the menu? Cheers in advance.
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-RFBLCqr/0/21641300/M/i-RFBLCqr-M.jpg

This thing is getting real now! I fly out tomorrow morning for the US. Just wondering if there will be a separate race discussion thread or if it will continue in this one? I'd like to send a link to friend and family as my interwebs might be limited once in the US.

See you at The Fence!!

Topic Name: 2018 AZTR300/750 Planning Thread Reply #291 on: March 29, 2018, 06:32:34 PM
Jakob

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 29, 2018, 06:32:34 PM »

I find Trailforks to be much more robust than MTBProject. I do use both though, 95% Trailforks though.

I totally agree. Fact is, I arrived at the South rim around noon the day before with the intention of getting a camping permit, hike to the bottom, sleep some hours and hike to the north rim early next morning before the trail closure. I went to the permits office and was told all camps were full that night and the next. I changed plans, spend rest of the day and night at the South rim and started the hike next morning with the intention of doing the complete through hike that day. At some point I just hit the wall. I found a spot off the trail where somebody had had a camp fire and took a nap. I am not proud of it, but it shows that no matter how good intentions you have and planning you do, you might fail at some point.

Topic Name: 2018 AZTR300/750 Planning Thread Reply #292 on: March 29, 2018, 07:49:36 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: March 29, 2018, 07:49:36 PM »

I totally agree. Fact is, I arrived at the South rim around noon the day before with the intention of getting a camping permit, hike to the bottom, sleep some hours and hike to the north rim early next morning before the trail closure. I went to the permits office and was told all camps were full that night and the next. I changed plans, spend rest of the day and night at the South rim and started the hike next morning with the intention of doing the complete through hike that day. At some point I just hit the wall. I found a spot off the trail where somebody had had a camp fire and took a nap. I am not proud of it, but it shows that no matter how good intentions you have and planning you do, you might fail at some point.

Just a note for this year's racers: you should be able to talk the back country office folks into giving you a permit for the 'overflow stock site' at Phantom Ranch.  This info was in the email that I sent everyone before the race (expect that email soon).  It's a provision they have for AZT thru-hikers, a category everyone in the 750 falls into.  Don't tell them you're racing in order to get it -- just that you are a thru-hiker/rider and had no way of knowing/planning when you'd arrive at the rim.

So, yes, as others have noted, do not plan to camp in the canyon without a permit.  Things do happen and walls are hit, but everyone needs to try to follow the rules, as Jakob did.

flyboy -- you can get things like apples, bagels, snickers and lemonade.  No real meals unless you pre-book them (and even then only at a specified time).  Everything is $$$.  I highly recommend the lemonade while you give your shoulders a break...

sundog -- I wouldn't recommend House Rock Rd for most motorhomes.  But it is driveable in a sedan -- as long as it is dry.  If it's been raining hard not even 4x4 is enough.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: 2018 AZTR300/750 Planning Thread Reply #293 on: March 30, 2018, 06:20:08 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #293 on: March 30, 2018, 06:20:08 AM »

Sundog: I'll also add re: House Rock Rd. If your motorhome is a bit more robust/manageable than a giant bus, the approach from the AZ side is more tame. The UT side is shorter to pavement, but also tends to get ledgy in a spot or two. If wet, as Scott noted, it's a dicey proposition at best from either side.

Flyboy & others doing the hike, don't forget that the Phantom Ranch cantina closes from 4-8p, I missed my lemonade fix by 5 measly minutes, but that was quickly salvaged by some campers offering some whiskey....

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2018 AZTR300/750 Planning Thread Reply #294 on: March 30, 2018, 06:40:06 AM
flyboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #294 on: March 30, 2018, 06:40:06 AM »

Flyboy & others doing the hike, don't forget that the Phantom Ranch cantina closes from 4-8p, I missed my lemonade fix by 5 measly minutes, but that was quickly salvaged by some campers offering some whiskey....

Thanks John. Gee, that lemonade must be good as everyone mentions it.....  icon_biggrin

Topic Name: 2018 AZTR300/750 Planning Thread Reply #295 on: March 30, 2018, 09:04:19 AM
Ron Thomson

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 30, 2018, 09:04:19 AM »

Thanks John. Gee, that lemonade must be good as everyone mentions it.....  icon_biggrin
It's pretty elusive. I've been thru the GC four times now and not once have I been able to get anything other than water at Phantom ranch.

Topic Name: 2018 AZTR300/750 Planning Thread Reply #296 on: March 30, 2018, 11:08:52 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: March 30, 2018, 11:08:52 AM »

It's pretty elusive. I've been thru the GC four times now and not once have I been able to get anything other than water at Phantom ranch.

Finally!! Now I know why you keep coming back. Get that lemonade, Ron!!

Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: 2018 AZTR300/750 Planning Thread Reply #297 on: March 30, 2018, 03:53:36 PM
Gimmearaise

View Profile WWW
« Reply #297 on: March 30, 2018, 03:53:36 PM »

Hey AZT Friends,

Beth Shaner and I are looking for help in getting from Picketpost to Parker Canyon Lake. Our ride fell thru and we are now scrambling to figure out an alternative.  Beth needs to get dropped off in Tucson as she is heading to the boarder. We plan on getting to the area late on Tuesday or sometime on Wednesday. If you know of someone willing to help us, please message me, thanks!

WWW.BikepackingSummit.com

Topic Name: 2018 AZTR300/750 Planning Thread Reply #298 on: March 30, 2018, 07:20:14 PM
trail_skidz

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 30, 2018, 07:20:14 PM »

Hi all. I'm doing a 750 ITT starting 7am on the 4th.

If anyone wants to join, we can offer a place to stay in Bisbee the night before, and a ride to the border.

Topic Name: 2018 AZTR300/750 Planning Thread Reply #299 on: March 31, 2018, 09:18:59 AM
treekiwi

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 31, 2018, 09:18:59 AM »

Oops, sorry all. When I updated the AZTR750 route to Trailforks this morning I had a cache issue with the file, the new addition over by the Superstitions didn't get added to that route!! Sorry.

Here's the updated current 750 route on Trailforks.

I deleted the other one, so if you clicked the 'save/wishlist' button, you'll need to do that again for this one.
When I try to open the 750 file in Trailforks, it sits there forever saying "loading ride" , but it never gets anywhere. Any bright ideas?  Smiley

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
  Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: