Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2017 CTR: Planning & Who's In? Reply #60 on: May 30, 2017, 09:45:06 PM
Dana Ernst

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2017, 09:45:06 PM »

I'm in for the Grand Depart...at least that's the current plan. Anyone passing through Flagstaff, AZ on the way to Durango and have extra room for me and my gear?

Topic Name: 2017 CTR: Planning & Who's In? Reply #61 on: June 05, 2017, 04:56:28 PM
thechasewesley

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2017, 04:56:28 PM »

So I am thinking of throwing in my name for a ride this year. I figure I will go a head and rip the band aid off. I've watched the CTR for the past few years and it's on my list, but always "want more time" to train, prep, and maybe I just need to leave with some fellow crazy folks heading to Denver. 

Sometimes "fun" hurts....pretty effin bad

Topic Name: 2017 CTR: Planning & Who's In? Reply #62 on: June 05, 2017, 05:13:24 PM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2017, 05:13:24 PM »

Dana, Chase, yeah!

BEDROCK BAGS - Hand crafted, rock solid, made in the USA.  Established 2012.
www.bedrockbags.com

Ever since I began riding singlespeed my life has been on a path of self-destruction.

Topic Name: 2017 CTR: Planning & Who's In? Reply #63 on: June 06, 2017, 09:24:34 PM
nivloc

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2017, 09:24:34 PM »

Excited to say I'm in for this years depart. Been planing this for a while and getting my rig/kit dialed. Made some changes this time from my normal set up to aid in the HAB's and maximize the fun descents. Not seeking to break any records considering even taking a half day off mid trip to do some fly fishing....any suggestions!? Thanks everyone for posting their info, some great tips in here. I'm sure as we get closer we'll hear more current snow reports from folks, excited to hear about that - Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic Name: 2017 CTR: Planning & Who's In? Reply #64 on: June 07, 2017, 12:39:43 PM
Dana Ernst

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2017, 12:39:43 PM »

I'm curious if folks plan out most of their water refills or if they only plan for long stretches without water. Speaking of long stretches without water...I'd love any beta folks are willing to share.

Topic Name: 2017 CTR: Planning & Who's In? Reply #65 on: June 07, 2017, 01:23:41 PM
nepbug

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2017, 01:23:41 PM »

I'm curious if folks plan out most of their water refills or if they only plan for long stretches without water. Speaking of long stretches without water...I'd love any beta folks are willing to share.

I never really planned out water resupplies much.  The CT has a pretty good amount of water on the route, the dry areas are not that often.  The only places I consciously make sure I fill up are at tank seven creek (whether going northbound or southbound) and Around cataract lake.  A lot of it depends on timing, if going through at the hottest point in the day, or going to sleep soon will be times I try to get a bit more water on board.  An additional southbound one (not for this year) is the marshall pass spring, it's pretty dry until tank seven creek from there.

I have always run with one bottle and a 100 oz bladder.  When I run the bladder dry then it's bottle time and time to start looking for a water refill, I've never really had a problem of running out except in the Cochetopa Hills/ Mrashall pass/ Sargents Mesa area during a southbound run.

There are a lot of cows around tank seven creek, so make sure you wait the full duration on your purification tablets with that water.

Topic Name: 2017 CTR: Planning & Who's In? Reply #66 on: June 08, 2017, 07:48:08 AM
bmattingly44@yahoo.com

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2017, 07:48:08 AM »

Hi Dana,

I live in Flagstaff and plan to drive and leave my ride in Durango somewhere.  You can carpool with me.  Also it looks like you live in Flagstaff.  I've been training hard.  Are you interested in doing some training rides?  Wed, Saturday, and Sundays are good training days.  Will also do some night riding soon w flexible days of week.  Give me a call.  My number is 525-6088.

Brad

Topic Name: 2017 CTR: Planning & Who's In? Reply #67 on: June 08, 2017, 02:30:02 PM
Dana Ernst

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2017, 02:30:02 PM »

@nepbug, thanks for the water beta.

@Brad, I'd love to do some rides and chat about the CTR.  Have you done it before?  This will be my first go.  I'll try texting you shortly.  As for the ride, I may have secured a ride from John Schilling, but if you don't mind, I might keep my options open as he might be heading up a little earlier than I was planning.  When were you heading up?

Topic Name: 2017 CTR: Planning & Who's In? Reply #68 on: June 09, 2017, 01:16:10 AM
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2017, 01:16:10 AM »

Hmm, the CTR seems to have popped up on my radar. Won't be this year but quite possibly next.

What bike do you guys recommend? I've only got a rigid 29er at the moment - I did the Highland Trail 550 on it last week. Full suss a good idea?  I'm thinking maybe Lauf forks on a full suss frame as I don't get on particularly well with standard suspension forks. Would the Laufs be completely out of their depth?

Topic Name: 2017 CTR: Planning & Who's In? Reply #69 on: June 09, 2017, 04:58:25 AM
Bob Loblaw

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2017, 04:58:25 AM »

I would never do the CTR on anything but a full-suspension bike, but the refrain you'll hear from everyone is that the bike won't decide whether you finish or not. People have finished (and some quickly) on pretty much any bike. Full-sus will most definitely mitigate the abuse you put on your body though.

Can't speak to the Lauf.

Topic Name: 2017 CTR: Planning & Who's In? Reply #70 on: June 09, 2017, 08:13:41 PM
Mtnrunner43

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2017, 08:13:41 PM »

I M In! The office has been notified.  A week of abuse and bliss all wrapped up in one big ride! Can't wait but have alot of prep to do!

Topic Name: 2017 CTR: Planning & Who's In? Reply #71 on: June 10, 2017, 09:15:30 AM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2017, 09:15:30 AM »

Hmm, the CTR seems to have popped up on my radar. Won't be this year but quite possibly next.

What bike do you guys recommend? I've only got a rigid 29er at the moment - I did the Highland Trail 550 on it last week. Full suss a good idea?  I'm thinking maybe Lauf forks on a full suss frame as I don't get on particularly well with standard suspension forks. Would the Laufs be completely out of their depth?
I would never do the CTR on anything but a full-suspension bike, but the refrain you'll hear from everyone is that the bike won't decide whether you finish or not. People have finished (and some quickly) on pretty much any bike. Full-sus will most definitely mitigate the abuse you put on your body though.

Can't speak to the Lauf.

I've done/finished the CTR twice (both directions) on a 1x10 geared hardtail. This is the only bike ride I've ever done that had me seriously considering getting a full suspension. Not for the descending, but for all the time you spend sitting pedalling over rough, chunky trail.

If you're going geared a full susser might be nice. If I were to do it again on a hardtail it'd be on my single speed. But as Joe points out as everyone always says people have done it fast on all kinds of bikes.
Ride what you got, you'll be fine, it's been done. 
Also can't speak to the lauf.

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: 2017 CTR: Planning & Who's In? Reply #72 on: June 11, 2017, 02:27:17 AM
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2017, 02:27:17 AM »

Bob & Adam, thanks for the input, some food for thought. My usual aim is to pick a bike that matches the general character of the route and accept that I might have to walk on the really technical stuff or just go slowly on any pavement that the route follows.

A second question is about nighttime temperatures? I'm a warm sleeper but am undecided between a -1C and a -6C bag/quilt (my only other options are the 5C summer bags and the -30C expedition bag!)

Topic Name: 2017 CTR: Planning & Who's In? Reply #73 on: June 12, 2017, 08:52:47 AM
RspinnaKing

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2017, 08:52:47 AM »

Howdy, Y'all! 

I'm psyched to take on my first CTR this July!

I'm hoping to find a ride from Boise, ID to Durango.  Anybody traveling to the start from points west that wouldn't mind lending a seat and some gear space?  I'll happily share driving and costs along with food/beverage bonuses! 

Thanks in advance and I'll look forward to sharing the trail with you crazies come July.

-Ryan

Ryan King

Topic Name: 2017 CTR: Planning & Who's In? Reply #74 on: June 12, 2017, 08:59:45 AM
nepbug

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2017, 08:59:45 AM »

Bob & Adam, thanks for the input, some food for thought. My usual aim is to pick a bike that matches the general character of the route and accept that I might have to walk on the really technical stuff or just go slowly on any pavement that the route follows.

A second question is about nighttime temperatures? I'm a warm sleeper but am undecided between a -1C and a -6C bag/quilt (my only other options are the 5C summer bags and the -30C expedition bag!)
It depends on your sleep strategy.  I try to sleep at lower elevations, but not at valley floors.  This allows for more oxygen during sleep, and avoids the coldest areas at the valley floors and higher elevations.  

I'm a cold sleeper and I still survived with a 40°F (~ +5°C) bag and a bivy sack.  I was chilly a few nights, but that just made it easier for me to get the motivation to get up and going  I also slept with my Montbell UL Down jacket on and something covering my head each night.

I'd lean towards the -1°C or the +5°C for a recommendation.  If you are planning long sleeps (full night), then err on the side of a warmer bag.

Topic Name: 2017 CTR: Planning & Who's In? Reply #75 on: June 12, 2017, 10:26:48 AM
Biggs23

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2017, 10:26:48 AM »

It depends on your sleep strategy.  I try to sleep at lower elevations, but not at valley floors.  This allows for more oxygen during sleep, and avoids the coldest areas at the valley floors and higher elevations. 

I'm a cold sleeper and I still survived with a 40°F (~ +5°C) bag and a bivy sack.  I was chilly a few nights, but that just made it easier for me to get the motivation to get up and going  I also slept with my Montbell UL Down jacket on and something covering my head each night.

I'd lean towards the -1°C or the +5°C for a recommendation.  If you are planning long sleeps (full night), then err on the side of a warmer bag.
Highlite bag from Western Mountaineering for me.Super light and great warmth.Rab Micro down jacket with hood,great piece to throw on when your getting your crap together after waking up.Mtn Hardware bivy for rainy nights to go over my Western Bag.

Topic Name: 2017 CTR: Planning & Who's In? Reply #76 on: June 12, 2017, 01:09:35 PM
Paadria

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2017, 01:09:35 PM »

This will be my first attempt at a race of this length and am in the process of creating and testing my gear list.  I am excited to be part of this race, meet some new people, and learn a ton about myself.  I generally am able to keep a good attitude and keep moving forward.  I've read a lot of articles on the CTR and am committed to this year.  I have a few questions to bounce off of the veterans for saving weight verses comfort.

1. Which Bivy:  Alpine or Helium Outdoor Research Bivy.  I've slept many comfortable nights in the 32oz Alpine but my friend has borrowed me his Helium Bivy with bug screen cut out for a light weight option of 17oz.  I tried the Helium in a rain storm the other night and was uncomfortable and a little wet.  I'm leaning towards hauling the heaver Alpine for a drier and more comfortable sleep in the case of overnight rain.  I have to think over-night rain is a likely event.  I'm using the bivy in combo with 32F Marmot 800 fill bag, and Therm-a-rest NeoAir XLite.  Comments?

2.  Lights:  I was originally going to use my bright Solar Storm X2 8.4volt light with an 4x18650 battery pack plus a charger for ~500 grams and one Black Diamond Headlamp for supplemental light.  I've since bought a new Black Diamond Spot 300 Lumen light and was so impressed that I'm thinking I'll zip tie that to my helmet for a primary light, use my older Black Diamond Storm as a backup light, and leave my heavier Solar Storm X2 system at home.  Saves about a pound and eliminates the need to recharge the 8.4V battery by using AAA instead.  Does this sound reasonable?

3.  Soap and camp towel.  I'm planning on bringing these for any available showers facilities I run across.  I'm thinking this will be a real treat but many gear lists I read about don't have them.  I'm thinking the people are just more focused on their results than a nice shower.  I'm shooting for 8 days with an occasional shower or sponge bath.  Thoughts?

Thanks,
Pat

Topic Name: 2017 CTR: Planning & Who's In? Reply #77 on: June 12, 2017, 01:45:03 PM
Bob Loblaw

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2017, 01:45:03 PM »

1. Overnight rain is likely, especially if you sleep all night. If you're shooting for an 8-day pace and not doing the whole sleep deprivation thing, then comfort is pretty important. But if you're OK with the thought of carrying 32oz of bivy sack, why not use a solo tent? A car sunshade used as a sleeping pad is incredibly warm, just not super comfortable.

2. I typically turned off my handlebar light on HAB and navigated by headlamp, but I wouldn't dream of doing any actual riding without 2 lights burning at once. I think AA/AAAs are the smart choice for something like the CTR.

3. Didn't shower at all (I don't think most people do either)

Topic Name: 2017 CTR: Planning & Who's In? Reply #78 on: June 12, 2017, 01:55:45 PM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2017, 01:55:45 PM »

Dynamo lights are awesome. Never worry about batteries again!

Shower? What's a shower?

BEDROCK BAGS - Hand crafted, rock solid, made in the USA.  Established 2012.
www.bedrockbags.com

Ever since I began riding singlespeed my life has been on a path of self-destruction.

Topic Name: 2017 CTR: Planning & Who's In? Reply #79 on: June 12, 2017, 03:44:49 PM
Biggs23

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2017, 03:44:49 PM »

Twin Lakes is a very big bathtub after Silverton-BV,great camp spots also.
  Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: