Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2017 CTR: Planning & Who's In? Reply #80 on: June 12, 2017, 06:50:50 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2017, 06:50:50 PM »

Showers available at the Princeton Hot Springs. Or jump in a creek!

32 ounce bivy sounds really heavy - mine is more like 7 ounces. It's not waterproof, but that's a good thing, as it would cause a massive amount of condensation to develop inside the bivvy - check the reviews:

https://www.rei.com/product/867215/outdoor-research-helium-bivy

Bring a tarp to allow for a dry night - being stuck in a bivy without a tarp in any sort of rain would SUCK. Like, what happens when you have to get out of the bivy in the middle of the storm? Now you're wet, and you'll have to go back into the bivy. What are you going to do with any gear that you don't want to get wet? That goes in the bivy, too? You can get fancy with tarps, like this sea to summit one:

https://www.rei.com/product/868692/sea-to-summit-escapist-tarp-shelter

Or just use an old 2 man tent ground cloth - spent many a night underneath one in pretty terrible storms in CO up high. Put guide lines on it to attach to trees and/or use your bike as one of the tie-up points.

OR go with a one-man tent of the same weight as this bivy system.

A 30 degree 800 fill bag is overkill for most of this course in August. Maybe 35 - 40, if you put on more of your clothing kit on? Makes getting up a bit easier, too as you're already dressed! I honestly didn't even bring a sleeping bag: ground cloth, sleeping bag liner, pad, and bivvy. The lighter you are, the funner the trail is.

Topic Name: 2017 CTR: Planning & Who's In? Reply #81 on: June 12, 2017, 09:07:49 PM
sundog99

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2017, 09:07:49 PM »

Suggestion on where I can get the GPS file of the route?

Thanks!
Rob Adams

Topic Name: 2017 CTR: Planning & Who's In? Reply #82 on: June 13, 2017, 02:00:31 AM
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2017, 02:00:31 AM »

There's a thread on the UK bearbones site about lights, charging, etc for the HT550 (which is similar in length to the CTR) http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10218 Some had dynamos, some (including myself) had a powerbank battery, others just replaced batteries as and when they depleted the ones in use. Note that Scotland at this time of year has about four hours darkness each night so unless you are riding through on several nights you don't need much in the way of juice. I used an Exposure Joystick (90g) mounted on my helmet, it's basically one 18650 cell, and I'd still 50% charge left after five nights out. I only rode through the last night, the rest of the usage was setting up/taking down bivvies. Given how far south Colorado is I'd check as to darkness times and figure out how much riding in the dark you wish to do, or forced to do to get down off passes, etc. Also if your night riding is on dirt roads then you don't need huge amounts of light, different on technical singletrack though. No one right solution.

Edit: checked this page https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/denver - looks like there's around seven hours of darkness.

nepbug: thanks for that info. Fully understand the logic behind bivy location and the "just warm enough" philosophy :-) I might supplement my +5C quilt with a down jacket, a bit more versatile. My entire bivy kit for the HT550 was 1Kg (2lb3oz) so it's pretty light but has to deal with the Highland midge as well as rain and cool temperatures.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 02:58:43 AM by Bob » Logged

Topic Name: 2017 CTR: Planning & Who's In? Reply #83 on: June 13, 2017, 06:32:57 AM
Paadria

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2017, 06:32:57 AM »

Okay great feedback, here is what I'm hearing:
1. Keep working on the sleeping kit.  32oz bivy is too HEAVY so the Alpine is out of the question.  A lighter bivy and tarp is the way to go.  An UL 1 man tent is not that attractive of option given the high cost and so so weight.  Trying to use some of what I have but will buy more gear if needed.  What specific lightweight bivy systems are people using and does it need to be combined with a tarp for staying dry?  I have an SOL emergency bivy that could be used as a ground cloth or as a waterproof layer if it is pouring.  It doesn’t breathe so not a primary option but do like the extra protection it would give to my NeoLite Pad.  I’ll have to look into and quickly learn more about the TARP options.  They are very versatile but I haven’t used one before.  Most of my experience is Fatbiking & camping in the Minnesota winters so sorry for my ignorance on some of the equipment that is more fitting to the Rockies.  I'll keep listening to your input and testing.  I’m not against ordering some more gear but need to do in a hurry to get proper testing time.  I'm loving the great input you guys are providing!  Keep it coming.
2. Lights.  I'm on the right track with the two Black Diamond AAA lights.  150 & 300 Lumens.  7-8 hours of darkness per night to deal with. Testing this weekend on night ride to prove out mounting plan on helmet and handlebars.
3. No showers for the serious CTRer.  Keep it simple.  Got it.
4. New question: How many tubes and ounces of Stans do people carry?  I’m thinking 2-4 oz of Stans in the little bottles and 1 or 2 tubes.  I’m leaning towards one 2 oz bottle of Stans and two tubes.  Thoughts?

- Pat

Topic Name: 2017 CTR: Planning & Who's In? Reply #84 on: June 13, 2017, 09:38:34 AM
Drewdontdothat

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2017, 09:38:34 AM »

I know this thread is dedicated to the event but I'm following along to research touring the route. I plan on touring Den-Dur at a pace for a 12-14 day finish. I will be coming from near sea level with no time to acclimate. I have never ridden the trail before except where the GDMBR overlaps. My kit is fairly light for a bikepacking setup and includes a tarp tent, 32* bag, sleeping pad for shelter. I plan on purchasing a suspension bike but would like to get out there this summer and ride what I have.

Is a 27.5+ with 120mm fork a bad choice? Waiting for the full suspension bike would probably postpone the trip until next summer. Thanks for any insight and good luck to all the races. I'll be watching the dots and enjoying all the updates as they roll in.

Topic Name: 2017 CTR: Planning & Who's In? Reply #85 on: June 13, 2017, 10:21:40 AM
mtnbound

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2017, 10:21:40 AM »

While most racers don't take showers on CTR, I would highly recommend taking some type of wet wipes and wiping yourself down each night, particularly the nether regions.  Getting saddle sores due to unsanitary conditions is no fun and can derail your race.

There are contrary thoughts on this but one could take two pairs of shorts (but only one shirt) and then switch riding shorts each day (and rinse the non-riding shorts out and let them air dry each day) to help with sanitary conditions.  Of course, for the fast racers this probably doesn't make sense, but for those in the 7 to 10 day range it may be worth considering.

Topic Name: 2017 CTR: Planning & Who's In? Reply #86 on: June 13, 2017, 11:08:31 AM
Paadria

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2017, 11:08:31 AM »

Bob,
That Exposure Joystick looks awesome!  I'm thinking that I should change my plan to using the BD Spot (300 lumen & AAA batteries) and the Joystick with USB rechargeable battery.  Scratch the BD Storm (150 lumens).  I also plan on carrying one Solar Cache battery to charge my Garmin Edge 520 and if needed could be used on my phone and/or Joystick light.  Anyway, I'd be carrying a quick USB charger to use at resupply points that can be used for phone, joystick light, or Garmin.  Grab an extra set of AAA for my backup light and I should be right on track.

Thanks MTNBOUND,
That's is my exact strategy with 2 pairs of shorts and 1 jersey.  Nice to hear that the strategy actually makes sense, given my goals.

Other,
How many extra tubes are you going to carry?

- Pat

Topic Name: 2017 CTR: Planning & Who's In? Reply #87 on: June 14, 2017, 03:51:05 AM
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 14, 2017, 03:51:05 AM »

Pat,

Generally I'd go with what you know, even if it isn't "perfect". When you are tired and it's raining and the wind is blowing and the temperature is just above freezing, trying to setup something unfamiliar is frustrating at best. Use shorter rides to practice and get things dialled and any niggles sorted out. Tarps aren't difficult but if you've not used one before then find a single setup that is simple and practice it rather than "learn" twenty different configurations that you'll never use. I've two (they are slight variations on a theme) that I use with a small tarp and one that I use with our larger tarp when I'm out touring with my wife.

Lights: Something to take note of - bike lights are great for lighting up stuff at distance but blinding for looking at stuff on your bike, they are just too powerful. Lights like the Black Diamond headtorches or the Petzl equivalent are much better for reading maps, looking at GPS, etc.

Topic Name: 2017 CTR: Planning & Who's In? Reply #88 on: June 14, 2017, 06:30:18 PM
dummey

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 14, 2017, 06:30:18 PM »

Pat,

I did the TransAmBike Race with 2 bibs and 1 jersey, so it is imo a sound strategy.

As for tubes. I'm thinking about 2 plus a dozen of those self sticking patches because they take up so little space.

Topic Name: 2017 CTR: Planning & Who's In? Reply #89 on: June 14, 2017, 09:04:41 PM
black_labb

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 14, 2017, 09:04:41 PM »

As for tubes. I'm thinking about 2 plus a dozen of those self sticking patches because they take up so little space.

Stick on patches? I don't use them myself as I don't trust them but I haven't heard anyone who knows what they are doing being happy with them. I'd personally be using traditional patches with vulcanising cement. They provide a permanent repair which is important.

I'll be riding the CT starting ~31st July. I was considering doing it as an ITT but decided to relax on the CT. Good thing too considering how little free time I have for training at the moment.  
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 09:11:10 PM by black_labb » Logged

Topic Name: 2017 CTR: Planning & Who's In? Reply #90 on: June 15, 2017, 05:51:37 AM
Paadria

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2017, 05:51:37 AM »

I planned on the same thing as far as taking 2 tubes and then the little pack of stick on patches just as a back up.  They could get you to the next resupply in a "pinch".  No pun intended.  I'll also carry a small bottle of Stans sealant to address any small leaks in my tubeless tires.  If I was fixing something in my shop, then the rubber cement and vulcanizing would be a better path for a more permanent fix.  I'm in the middle of fixing some sidewall tears with vulcanizing patches and it looks like it is going to work well on some sprint race tires that I'm not ready to throw away so am trying to patch the sidewall tears.  I will be using the tougher Snakeskin Nobby Nics and Racing Ralphs for the CTR.

I was dreaming about the race last night so it is heavy on my mind as it gets closer to the date.

Topic Name: 2017 CTR: Planning & Who's In? Reply #91 on: June 15, 2017, 07:44:57 AM
JoePAz

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2017, 07:44:57 AM »

While most racers don't take showers on CTR, I would highly recommend taking some type of wet wipes and wiping yourself down each night, particularly the nether regions.  Getting saddle sores due to unsanitary conditions is no fun and can derail your race.

There are contrary thoughts on this but one could take two pairs of shorts (but only one shirt) and then switch riding shorts each day (and rinse the non-riding shorts out and let them air dry each day) to help with sanitary conditions.  Of course, for the fast racers this probably doesn't make sense, but for those in the 7 to 10 day range it may be worth considering.

I have never done the CTR, (Considering for 2018), but have completed the AZTR300 this year. I recommend 2 shorts.  The reason is that should one pair get wet or soaked or any other form nastiness you can change.  I my final day on the 300 one pair of mine got a little wet and I started to have discomfort.  I should have swapped them out right away, but I waited.  Got a light rash and when I did change I felt better, but I was already a bit sore.  Lesson I learned was 1) I was so happy to have a second pair, 2) change them right away if there is a problem.

Also on the wipes.  Even for a 1 night trip wiping down there is important.  Very long sorted story, but I ended up the hospital for a few days after one overnight trip.   You don't want that happening so a few ounces of prevention is well worth it.

Topic Name: 2017 CTR: Planning & Who's In? Reply #92 on: June 15, 2017, 08:32:06 AM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2017, 08:32:06 AM »

Been checked out of the thread for a bit.  Lots of good info!  My two cents:

+1 on the wet wipes, hygiene is important.  It's just that showers aren't necessary.  Good dirt, bad dirt, you'll learn the difference.  I don't use a chamois - I wear unpadded, seamless synthetic briefs under baggies - so carrying an extra pair of briefs is super tiny and light.  I only bring one pair of shorts (the baggies).  I don't let them get super wet, if it's raining, I put on rain pants.  No extra jersey, I wear light wool - insulates when wet, and doesn't smell even after a week straight (side benefit!).

I take two tubes, 2oz of Stans, and a genuine patch kit (glue and all).

Currently for lights I'm using the Exposure Revo dynamo light with a SON hub, and and Exposure Diablo on my helmet.  I charge the Diablo off the hub during the day.  I have also used a Black Diamond Storm, it's great for low speed riding or hiking, but not powerful enough alone for really bombing through the woods.

As others have said, sleep kit depends on how much you're going to sleep - but I concur with others, 32oz for a bivy is nuts.  I've had multiple tents under that weight.

BEDROCK BAGS - Hand crafted, rock solid, made in the USA.  Established 2012.
www.bedrockbags.com

Ever since I began riding singlespeed my life has been on a path of self-destruction.

Topic Name: 2017 CTR: Planning & Who's In? Reply #93 on: June 17, 2017, 07:09:53 PM
Dana Ernst

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2017, 07:09:53 PM »

I'm curious what folks are using for water treatment during CTR. My original plan was to use Aquamira tablets, but I just read that treatment time increases as the temperature of water decreases. Aquamira recommends up to 4 hours for water near freezing. So, now I'm considering the MSR Trail Shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic Name: 2017 CTR: Planning & Who's In? Reply #94 on: June 17, 2017, 08:55:45 PM
Enjoying the View

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: June 17, 2017, 08:55:45 PM »

I'm not a CTR racer but I do spend a lot of time in the Colorado backcountry. I have been really happy with the Sawyer Squeeze and Sawyer Mini filters. I do use a Platypus bag with it bit the filters have been flawless for me. Small and super quick.

Fully Packed Adventure Ministries www.fullypacked.org/fpamdenver

Topic Name: 2017 CTR: Planning & Who's In? Reply #95 on: June 19, 2017, 06:23:31 AM
Paadria

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 19, 2017, 06:23:31 AM »

I'm going to use the Sawyer filter and bring tablets as a backup plan.

I rode yesterday with a fully loaded bike (minus food) and it weighed 45 lbs.  Am I in the right ballpark?  23 lb bike with 22 lbs of gear (with 64 ounces of water but no food). 

Topic Name: 2017 CTR: Planning & Who's In? Reply #96 on: June 19, 2017, 07:33:48 AM
evdog

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 19, 2017, 07:33:48 AM »

I have been really happy with the Sawyer Squeeze and Sawyer Mini filters. I do use a Platypus bag with it bit the filters have been flawless for me. Small and super quick.
+1 on the Sawyer.  I had the mini but just got the squeeze.  It's a lot faster and only an ounce more weight.  Worthy upgrade IMO.

Is the platypus you use the one where the threads don't exactly match the sawyer?  I used one of those as well with good results for a couple years.  It would leak a little sometimes, but at a critical point on the AZT300 it suddenly failed and water poured out of the threads.  Fortunately I had a spare water bottle with threads that did match, otherwise I would have had to pull out of the race.  I'd strongly suggest getting something with threads that match perfectly. You can buy 64oz sawyer pouches 2 for $9 at REI.  Where threads don't match, it may work...but only until it doesn't!

Topic Name: 2017 CTR: Planning & Who's In? Reply #97 on: June 19, 2017, 09:38:02 AM
Paadria

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 19, 2017, 09:38:02 AM »

My plan is to use the Sawyer In-line with quick disconnect kit.  The fresh water bladder will be in my frame bag with easy to access quick connector on the drink tube.  When I need water, I'll bring another (dirty bag) bladder to the stream to fill with water.  That dirty bag will have the Sawyer "in-line" on the drink tube so the threads don't matter because they aren't used.  Then I'll quick connect to the clean bladder in the frame bag and "back-fill" from dirty bag, through the filter, into the fresh water bladder.  I got this advice from a veteran rider (Garrett out of Carbondale) and will be testing it over the next month. 

- Pat

Topic Name: 2017 CTR: Planning & Who's In? Reply #98 on: June 19, 2017, 09:53:37 AM
Biggs23

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 19, 2017, 09:53:37 AM »

I'm going to use the Sawyer filter and bring tablets as a backup plan.

I rode yesterday with a fully loaded bike (minus food) and it weighed 45 lbs.  Am I in the right ballpark?  23 lb bike with 22 lbs of gear (with 64 ounces of water but no food).  
I've used the Sawyer filter since they hit the market and have had awesome luck with them.I don't use tabs I just bring a little bottle of bleach as a backup,couple drops shake and your good to go.I'm on a Trex 9.8SL and my bike fully loaded is right at 30-32lbs.I'm not a big fan carrying a lot of weight on my back.I'll have a 50 oz bladder that I use as my reservoir(Sometimes full depending where you are on course) and I have a water bottle on the frame.Great thing about the CT,a lot of water out there.I've biked Kenosha to Waterton Canyon and BV to Leadville so far this season and the trail is in great shape,couple downed trees in a few spots.Pretty big heat wave this week for the western part of the state,100-115f,90-95 Denver area,so snow will be melting.    

Topic Name: 2017 CTR: Planning & Who's In? Reply #99 on: June 19, 2017, 10:48:36 AM
kyle10bike

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 19, 2017, 10:48:36 AM »

I'm curious what folks are using for water treatment during CTR. My original plan was to use Aquamira tablets, but I just read that treatment time increases as the temperature of water decreases. Aquamira recommends up to 4 hours for water near freezing. So, now I'm considering the MSR Trail Shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last year I used Aquamira and it worked great for me.  I haven't had as good of luck with the Sawyer Squeeze as others.  Every bag of theirs I've used has burst open at the seam and the filter clogs quickly even with constant back flushing.  I've been using the MSR Trail Shot all year and I love it.  Super easy to use, fast, and light.  I'll probably still use Aquamira again this year.
  Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: