Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2017 Alberta Rockies 700 on: December 14, 2016, 01:11:54 PM
TigerT

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2016, 01:11:54 PM »

Well since no one else has started this thread, is anyone here planning on entering this year's race?

2017 Grand Depart July 8th 2017 7:00am

Coleman, Alberta

ABOUT

This is a fully self supported bike packing event. The route is over 80% gravel. It will be run similar to events such as the Tour Divide and other long distance self supported rides. The grand depart for 2017 will take place in Coleman Alberta and the route will end in Hinton Alberta. The route follows the first range of the Rocky Mountains with grueling climbs and epic downhills all along the route. Along the way you will pass through small towns with a history of coal mining, ride beside glacier fed creeks and see some amazing mountains all around you.

This event is fully self supported, no outside help other than what you can find or buy along the way. Services are extremely limited on this route, so you will need to pack accordingly. Water crossings are plentiful.

www.albertarockies700.com

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Topic Name: 2017 Alberta Rockies 700 Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 07:01:03 AM
DavidM

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 07:01:03 AM »

This looks interesting to me (I'm in SK).  The only problem is logistics - a bit of a headache getting from Hinton back to Coleman (where I'd probably leave a car).  This is why I like loop courses.  Are you one of the organizers?  Any idea what people are doing in this regard?

Topic Name: 2017 Alberta Rockies 700 Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 04:19:39 PM
TigerT

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 04:19:39 PM »

No I am not one of the organizers, just looking forward to the race. On a more individual level I could help some out in regards to getting back to there car. But I know my personal plan is to have my loving wife pick me up...haha. 

Trying to decide on things like sleeping bag, and what I can do/do without since it's a race instead of a tour.

Topic Name: 2017 Alberta Rockies 700 Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 07:30:02 AM
JeffM-VT

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 07:30:02 AM »

Last year most of the riders that I met were from Jasper or Calgary (or had friends/family there).  They either dropped a car at the finish or had family or friends pick them up at the finish.  Not being from the area (and with time), I drove to the finish (Coleman - as the 2016 start was in Hinton), dropped my car and biked west to Sparwood, took the Tour Divide route to Banff and then the parkways to Jasper and continued on the main road to Hinton.  6 days of beautiful warm-up riding.  There was at least 1 other rider that biked to the start.  I don't believe that any of the public transportation options were convenient.  Though public transportation to Banff and then biking to Coleman (about 160-170 miles if I remember correctly) via the TD route might be a fun (and faster than biking the whole way) option.

Topic Name: 2017 Alberta Rockies 700 Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 04:57:19 PM
DavidM

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 04:57:19 PM »

I will definitely keep this one on the radar.  It looks like a nice route, and is somewhat local.  I did the Colorado Trail (not the race) earlier this year and loved it, but am looking for something more like a gravel tour/race.   Looks like a lot of folks did it in 2-3 days.   Hopefully not too many bears (which always spook me)  Smiley

Topic Name: 2017 Alberta Rockies 700 Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 05:01:08 PM
TigerT

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 05:01:08 PM »

Last year most of the riders that I met were from Jasper or Calgary (or had friends/family there).  They either dropped a car at the finish or had family or friends pick them up at the finish.  Not being from the area (and with time), I drove to the finish (Coleman - as the 2016 start was in Hinton), dropped my car and biked west to Sparwood, took the Tour Divide route to Banff and then the parkways to Jasper and continued on the main road to Hinton.  6 days of beautiful warm-up riding.  There was at least 1 other rider that biked to the start.  I don't believe that any of the public transportation options were convenient.  Though public transportation to Banff and then biking to Coleman (about 160-170 miles if I remember correctly) via the TD route might be a fun (and faster than biking the whole way) option.
How did you find the route overall for tree cover and camping? Anything of specific you can think of to suggest for a beginner?

Topic Name: 2017 Alberta Rockies 700 Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 10:22:54 AM
JeffM-VT

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 10:22:54 AM »

How did you find the route overall for tree cover and camping? Anything of specific you can think of to suggest for a beginner?

There was plenty of camping options.  I camped at a public campground the first night (just rode in and laid the bivy out on top of a picnic table at a secluded site) maybe 145 miles in.  2nd night I was in Canmore late evening where I grabbed some dinner, stocked up and hiked up the big hill outside of town and camped in a roadside picnic area.  You will be going the opposite direction if riding this year though.  Some rough/slow roads in sections (slower than expected) so make sure that you have a plan for food/water.  Be ready for some tough climbs.

Topic Name: 2017 Alberta Rockies 700 Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 11:23:22 AM
TigerT

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 11:23:22 AM »

Only 5 months left till this race, only 35 riders currently entered.

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: