Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 34
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #440 on: April 15, 2016, 09:16:20 AM
pyerger

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: April 15, 2016, 09:16:20 AM »

Well I'm no expert, but having rode the TD last year, I would say YES to all of the above mentioned. maybe the biggest factor is 20 plus extra pounds loaded on the bike. The tires and body do take a beating day after day.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #441 on: April 15, 2016, 09:21:34 AM
Jbennett

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: April 15, 2016, 09:21:34 AM »

From my research and talking with folks who have completed the course, there are some muddy sections and some sandy sections.  From my experience, those two things on cross width tires just doesn't sound fun.  Sand is fine when you're on a 15lb CX bike in the middle of a race that might only last an hour or so, but for the length of the Divide, I'm just not sure that sounds like a winning combination.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #442 on: April 15, 2016, 09:28:36 AM
Cosmo K

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: April 15, 2016, 09:28:36 AM »

I've also never ridden the TD but will this year and have been thinking about tire size.  Right now I'm deciding between Maxxis Crossmark 2.25 EXO front and back or maybe the Conti Race King with protection.  Having done multi days on a lot of different sizes I think the biggest benefit for me on a fully rigid bike 29er is comfort.  My thought is the possible speed gain you get from a slightly narrower tire (I wouldn't go less than 2.0) you more than make up from less wear and tear on your body.  At least that's my theory.  The crossmark also has a nice raised center section which definitely helps on pavement in my experience but the Race King is lighter. 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 09:42:21 AM by Cosmo K » Logged

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #443 on: April 15, 2016, 09:50:32 AM
MikeI

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: April 15, 2016, 09:50:32 AM »

Maybe this isn't the place for it, but as someone who has never ridden any sections of the TD, I'm not quite sure why everyone says 2" or greater tires are necessary. I regularly ride "mountain bike" trails on a cross bike with 38c tires and have no trouble. Is it the rocky ground, or the mud you need to float across, or general bump smoothing, or something else entirely that pushes people to the fatter range of tires?

Thanks!

For a couple thousand miles of TD, I think those tires would be just excellent ! But there are some notable exceptions, ... the rail trail section in Idaho is like riding on the beach, there are sandy sections on Separ Road in NM along with Polvadera Mesa, and soft stuff getting to Brazos Ridge. I know there are others, just not jumping out at me right at the moment.  Anyways, for some of those I wished I had a wider tire and I ran Saguaro 2.2's. ( and that's without any mud ... all bets off then ).

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #444 on: April 15, 2016, 10:07:59 AM
Flinch

grandpasbikelife.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #444 on: April 15, 2016, 10:07:59 AM »

Maybe this isn't the place for it, but as someone who has never ridden any sections of the TD, I'm not quite sure why everyone says 2" or greater tires are necessary. Thanks!

Cross bikes and tire widths to match don't generally make good sense on the route. Last year I rode with two guys using cross bikes with < 2" tires = no bueno. One dropped/deviated off course due to the 'fun' factor.

Besides the extra cushioning, the fatter tires 'float' better over rocks and rough roads. Better grip as well. While you can ride the TD on even an old Schwinn single speed, sanity dictates 27.5"-29" 2"+ tires.

Now for the fun part: I propose a new category of bike, the "Walmart". Rules are simple - ride any bike sold by Walmart, making no changes to the bike. Must also have extra medical evac insurance Smiley

And once the Race is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the Race is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the Race, you won't be the same person who rode in. That's what the Race is all about.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #445 on: April 15, 2016, 12:38:14 PM
pyerger

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: April 15, 2016, 12:38:14 PM »

I've also never ridden the TD but will this year and have been thinking about tire size.  Right now I'm deciding between Maxxis Crossmark 2.25 EXO front and back or maybe the Conti Race King with protection.  Having done multi days on a lot of different sizes I think the biggest benefit for me on a fully rigid bike 29er is comfort.  My thought is the possible speed gain you get from a slightly narrower tire (I wouldn't go less than 2.0) you more than make up from less wear and tear on your body.  At least that's my theory.  The crossmark also has a nice raised center section which definitely helps on pavement in my experience but the Race King is lighter. 
I ran the cont. race king protection,2.2 tubeless in last years TD Race. Rode the whole distance on those tires, no flats, and they are still on my bike today, in fair condition. AWESOME TIRES!

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #446 on: April 15, 2016, 10:15:15 PM
vulpes_vulpes

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: April 15, 2016, 10:15:15 PM »

Tent/Tarp/Bivvy argument: I am a big proponent of the tarp setup as a hiker, and as a bikepacker I've really enjoyed having a fast-fly tent. But the way Big Agnes wants you to make their fly creek ul1 a fast fly is not the lightest way to rig up that tent.

I blogged about my solution here: http://www.wildconfluence.com/story/2015/09/flycreekmod
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 10:18:52 PM by vulpes_vulpes » Logged

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #447 on: April 18, 2016, 06:03:20 AM
bakerjw

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: April 18, 2016, 06:03:20 AM »

Camping, cash, and Canada....
I am hoping to blow through Canada fairly quickly, but will likely have to camp out at least one or two times unless I get a room. I know that Canada has some rules about camping on the Queen's land but regular campsites, are they cash only? Free? Credit cards taken?
Thanks for any insight.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #448 on: April 18, 2016, 08:55:17 AM
Cosmo K

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: April 18, 2016, 08:55:17 AM »

Tour Divide Waypoints.  I'm about to start creating these but if someone has them already mapped out (hotels, gas stations, etc.) I'd love to use them as a reference before I start.  If you are a vet, any establishments you had trouble with and wouldn't recommend?  I have the maps and cue sheets but they are a couple of years old.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #449 on: April 19, 2016, 12:40:06 PM
daveinbanff

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: April 19, 2016, 12:40:06 PM »

Hi Everyone,
In addition to the bike retail stores at the start line, I'll be avail again to help riders and racers with bike mechanical issues, etc in Banff.   I've been wrenching bikes for 20+ years in stores in the Banff area, and working independently for 10+.   Lots of work from the home, from kids bikes, to top XC and endurance racers, as well as working lots of races and events (Single track6, Transrockies,  MDH100, lots of grand fondos, etc)   I have also ridden the Banff to whitefish sections of the TD route (a few times) so have a good idea of what both the bike, and you will encounter on the first section.
http://www.fatskideals.com/race_support.html
I have basic parts in stock, and can order most things for you with a few days notice.
email or text is best way to contact me,
403-762-8566
dave_williams@shaw.ca   I might not be as fast with messages thru this site.

Let me know if I can help you guys out with the event at all.   Happy to do repairs, or just a consult over a beverage.   

(also, moderators of this site, I hope this post is OK, and not crossing some line of "advertising" vs "helping"    please contact me, and we can make this work for the riders, the moderators, and me)

thanks   

dave

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #450 on: April 19, 2016, 03:16:57 PM
bakerjw

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: April 19, 2016, 03:16:57 PM »

Way to build up bike karma!!!

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #451 on: April 19, 2016, 10:10:06 PM
JohnP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #451 on: April 19, 2016, 10:10:06 PM »

Anyone have the major drought resupply points?  I am thinking there's about 4 or 5 sections of little to no water, what are they? What town must you restock and camel water before safely proceeding?

Thanks!

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #452 on: April 20, 2016, 05:51:17 PM
sdr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #452 on: April 20, 2016, 05:51:17 PM »

Camping, cash, and Canada....
I am hoping to blow through Canada fairly quickly, but will likely have to camp out at least one or two times unless I get a room. I know that Canada has some rules about camping on the Queen's land but regular campsites, are they cash only? Free? Credit cards taken?
Thanks for any insight.

I rode the Divide last summer (not raced). Camped 5 nights in Canada. One night camped right along the trail and spent one night at a commercial campground in Elkford. Other three nights were at 'official' camp spots. Only had to pay at the campground in Elkford.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #453 on: April 20, 2016, 07:58:17 PM
Flinch

grandpasbikelife.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #453 on: April 20, 2016, 07:58:17 PM »

Depending on your pace...
Campspots:
Provincial Park at mile 62, pay the man!
Cabin after Elk Pass (Tobermary?) - free, first come first serve. Can camp outside cabin as well
Between cabin and Elkford, many free wild camp spots along road
Elkford: Motel + Lyon's campground on left a few blocks before store. Pay at tended shop.
Sparwood - Motel +  commercial campground
Corbin - can wild camp free right at end of pavement, start of Flathead Pass
Several free camp spots after Flathead Pass, before Butts Cabin
Butts Cabin - again 1st come...free. Also large camp spot across road from Cabin
Ram Wigwam free campground, at bottom of Cabin Pass (to left at bottom, look for narrow dirt road on right immediately after left), free, has rustic one-holer potty (no, can't camp inside as there is no room, I checked!)
This puts you about 4-5 hours to top of Galton Pass/border
Eureka - Camp at far end of town, city park, donations accepted, has bathroom w shower - eat at Jax Cafe
30 miles further, Graves creek campground and a couple (free) others on way up Whitefish Divide
Going down Whitefish Divide, Tukchuk Campground (I highly recommend the 'Hilton' there  sleepy1 ... warm and a unique 'atmosphere'
Several camp spots, wild, until Red Meadow Lake
Red Meadow Lake, free campground, bears did not eat me in 2013. To quote Matt Lee that year, "You did what? I wouldn't camp there - too many bears!".  10 racers in 2015 camped.
5 miles past RM Lake is Upper Whitefish campground
etc., etc.

And don't worry - bears do not bother bivvies or tent on days that fall between Sunday and Monday...Harrrr...

Go get 'em!

I did Elkford first night (thanks Lyon's !), and Ram Wigwam second night. No racers at Elkford camping (raining, and the others were made out of sugar, thus might melt  icon_biggrin ), lots at Ram.

And once the Race is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the Race is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the Race, you won't be the same person who rode in. That's what the Race is all about.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #454 on: April 21, 2016, 04:43:36 AM
bakerjw

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: April 21, 2016, 04:43:36 AM »

Thanks... Very useful information.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #455 on: April 21, 2016, 11:25:31 AM
daveinbanff

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: April 21, 2016, 11:25:31 AM »

also a ACC hut at Elk lakes that is $25/night, but need to pre-book,   its 110ish km from banff.     this is NOT the free shack that is 10km further on the road, that is talked about above.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #456 on: April 21, 2016, 06:54:32 PM
groovy.rides

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: April 21, 2016, 06:54:32 PM »

Hey everyone, I've been gearing up for this ride and there's one piece of gear I can't seem to make my mind up on: tires. I've been looking at the WTB Nanos and the Conti Race King Protections, and I can't seem to decide, the Nano has the reputation but the Kings seem to have been really great for previous Dividers.

Also Pampa, I definitely am interested in that ride! Private message me and we can see if we can plan something!

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #457 on: April 21, 2016, 06:57:16 PM
bakerjw

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: April 21, 2016, 06:57:16 PM »

I love my WTB Nanos. But... I'm going to go with Teravail Sparwood tires for my ride. If they're good enough for Jay P, then they'll certainly be good enough for me.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #458 on: April 21, 2016, 07:09:26 PM
Cosmo K

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: April 21, 2016, 07:09:26 PM »

I've been flip flopping between the race kings and maxxis icons...both with protection.   The both feel like the roll equally well.   The only downside with the race kings is that they are a bitch to get on tubeless.   Once on, they're good but...if you need to break a seal trailside, no way,  even with co2 to get it back on.  The ikons you can.   Both great tires.

The sparwoods look good but not enough history with them to use them on the td....even if Jayp used them.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #459 on: April 22, 2016, 01:01:30 AM
WatermelonSugar

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: April 22, 2016, 01:01:30 AM »

Yeah, I'm sure JayP gets a load of his stuff like tyres for free, so probably not the best example to blindly follow! I've had good experiences with Specialized fast tracks and with Nanos too but tyre choice is a person to person thing, ride a few until you find something that works.
  Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 34
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: