Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 34
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #420 on: April 06, 2016, 11:59:37 AM
Iowagriz

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: April 06, 2016, 11:59:37 AM »

Has anyone managed to see how the winter has been along the route?  I just checked weather in Salida and noticed that they're already hitting 70 degrees during the days.  Short of tracking the weather pages for day-by-day weather information, I'm wondering if there's been any discussion about the conditions over the winter and what it might mean for June.

This http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/webmap/index.html#elements=&networks=!&states=!&counties=!&hucs=&minElevation=&maxElevation=&elementSelectType=all&activeOnly=true&hucLabels=false&stationLabels=&overlays=&hucOverlays=&mode=data&openSections=dataElement,parameter,date,elements,location,networks&controlsOpen=true&popup=&base=esriNgwm&lat=47.4522&lon=-113.7943&zoom=10&dataElement=WTEQ&parameter=PCTMED&frequency=DAILY&duration=I&customDuration=&dayPart=E&year=2016&month=3&day=23&monthPart=E will get you to the SnoTel sites.  Should go straight to the Eureka spot.  You can monitor for current snow depth there.  

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #421 on: April 06, 2016, 12:40:46 PM
Jbennett

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: April 06, 2016, 12:40:46 PM »

Thanks!  thumbsup

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #422 on: April 06, 2016, 05:26:43 PM
sundog99

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: April 06, 2016, 05:26:43 PM »

Where do you get the info. to put together an accurate set of TDR cue sheets?  If you start with the ACA cue sheets, you need modifications for alternate ACA routes that are not TDR legal and my understanding is that some of the TDR route is not on the ACA routes.  Where do I find complete info.?  Thanks!

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #423 on: April 06, 2016, 05:41:04 PM
Flinch

grandpasbikelife.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #423 on: April 06, 2016, 05:41:04 PM »

Where do you get the info. to put together an accurate set of TDR cue sheets?  If you start with the ACA cue sheets, you need modifications for alternate ACA routes that are not TDR legal and my understanding is that some of the TDR route is not on the ACA routes.  Where do I find complete info.?  Thanks!

You can pay for the complete set via the ACA site ($9-10 I think?), as I did last year. Beware that the cues are NOT all accurate, compared to even the main ACA route that the TD follows. The two 2015 changed segments are well documented via last year's cues released by Matt.

Personally, I made my own set from the ACA cues, then compressed them into readable format, then ignored them during the race. Hint: Follow the GPS route. Following cues is semi-miserable and slow. Also difficult to do when tired/dark/going fast. You will grumble at the mismatch between the bike odometer and the cue miles, and doing corrective calculations on the go when tired leads to showing up in Kansas somewhere. Best to keep your head out of the 'cockpit' as much as possible.

DO: Make a concise list of resupply points with mileage between. Invaluable for first timers. Check online for existing lists, and double check them against maps, etc..

She's only a long road ride, so have fun!

And once the Race is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the Race is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the Race, you won't be the same person who rode in. That's what the Race is all about.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #424 on: April 06, 2016, 06:01:51 PM
MikeI

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: April 06, 2016, 06:01:51 PM »

Cues can be problematic. The first thing that happens is you go off route in quest of food and then your mileage is messed up and you are forever trying to do arithmetic in your head until the whole thing resets with the next map sheet. I know some folks didn't care much for the maps, but I really liked them, they gave me a better overview of where I was and what's next vs just following the line on the GPS ( which is like looking through a soda straw in a way )  But GPS is your friend !!

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #425 on: April 07, 2016, 07:28:32 PM
Cosmo K

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: April 07, 2016, 07:28:32 PM »

So...I just noticed it's 9 weeks til the grand depart.  I guess I'll throw my hat in.  Everything's booked.  Fully stoked at this point.  It's been a long time coming!

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #426 on: April 08, 2016, 08:33:22 PM
Rob Colliver

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: April 08, 2016, 08:33:22 PM »

It's not easy to tie this to any relevance of the snowpack, but I just took a ride from Fernie out towards the Flathead.
The trail turned to snow and became hike a bike at 1230 metres.

10 days before the race in 2011 (the year of the snow diverts) the snowpack up the same road was at 1430 metres.

We've got 8 weeks till the start and have just had a string of 15 degree days here in Fernie and its melting fast..... here is to a low snowpack through to Montana!

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #427 on: April 09, 2016, 07:50:03 AM
Cosmo K

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: April 09, 2016, 07:50:03 AM »

Good to hear Rob!

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #428 on: April 09, 2016, 07:40:21 PM
Flinch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #428 on: April 09, 2016, 07:40:21 PM »

Compilation of some longer range weather and fire outlooks.

NOAA Outlook
The April-May-June 2016 temperature outlook indicates increased probabilities of above-normal temperatures across much of the continental U.S. Above-normal temperature are likely for most of the  west, from the central and northern rocky mountains across the northern great plains into the great lakes region, as well as most of the region to the east of the mississippi river valley. The chances of above-normal temperatures are highest for the pacific northwest, the northeast, and the mid-atlantic coast,
exceeding 50 percent in these regions.

The A-M-J 2016 precipitation outlook indicates a slight increase in chances of above-median precipitation across much of the southern continental U.S. and some increase in chances of below-median precipitation for parts of the
northwest and the western great lakes states. Above-median precipitation is most likely from central and northern California across the great basin and the central and southern rockies

NOAA TEMPERATURE

The A-M-J temperature outlook is similar to the outlook from a month ago, with some increase in probabilities, consistent with shorter lead times and dynamical model forecasts. All temperature tools predict increased probabilities of above-normal temperatures across the northern half of the continental u.s. Through the early spring, consistent with an el nino.

NOAA Precipitation

The A-M-J and May-June_July 2016 precipitation outlooks follow a pattern that is on average associated with el nino. Enhanced chances for above-median precipitation are forecast for A-M-J and May-June_July 2016 from northern and central California, across the central Rockies and southwest, into the central and southern great plains.

New Mexico Extended Outlook

October 2015 - February 2016.  The first three months of the 2016 Water Year were off to an excellent start until dry conditions redeveloped in early January. Unfortunately, February was even worse and March has been abysmal. Statewide precipitation for the October 2015 to February 2016 period averaged 146 percent of normal. January statewide average precipitation was 80 percent of normal and February was only 52 percent of normal. The addition of a dry January and February lowered the water year average from 188 percent of normal at the end of December to 146 percent of normal at the end of February (still impressive). This is the 14th wettest first five months on record.

El Nino conditions will continue through the rest of the spring, then trend toward neutral conditions during the 2016 summer. An El Nino advisory remains in effect. The outlook from April through June 2016 favors above normal precipitation across all of New Mexico. Below normal precipitation late last year and early this year increased the drought conditions (Setting up for fires in summer??)

Reservoir storage is below capacity at all lakes across the state. Average statewide reservoir storage was only 30 percent of capacity as of April 1, 2016. Despite above normal precipitation in 2015 and a sharp reduction in short term drought conditions, it is readily apparent that long term, hydrological drought is still very much with us.

Colorado Extended Outlook
Similar to New Mexico in precipitation, especially southern CO.

Forest Fire Outlook June through July [http://www.predictiveservices.nifc.gov/outlooks/extended_outlook.png]
Above normal significant fire potential will continue across the southern Southwest and expand into Texas and southern Nevada. (Note that the map shows increased fire danger in the southern half New Mexico.)

Predictive Services [http://www.predictiveservices.nifc.gov/outlooks/monthly_seasonal_outlook.pdf]

Northern Rockies:
Normal significant wildland fire potential is expected for the Northern Rockies Geographic Area for the Outlook period April, May and June through July.

Warmer-than normal temperatures and well below normal precipitation were the case in most areas east of the Continental Divide, but to the west it was more moist. Warm temperature anomalies of 10 to 15 degrees above normal were remarkable during the first half of March along and east of the Continental Divide. During the third week of March, a pattern shift occurred with cool and moist conditions Area-wide. Mountain snowpack has increased slightly to near normal in most areas as the weakening systems have been able to maintain mid-to-high elevation amounts. The only exception is along the northern Continental Divide where
snowpack is around 70 percent of average and has not fully responded yet to the cooler and moist conditions. Drought conditions are only slightly apparent in central Montana.

Latest long-range temperature and precipitation outlooks still maintain warm, dry conditions over the Area at least through April. By May and June a return to near normal conditions is expected. Mid to high elevation snowmelt should progress at an average pace this spring in stark contrast to what was seen last year.

Great Basin: Significant wildland fire potential is expected to be normal for the Great Basin Geographic Area for the Outlook period April through June. Current snowpack remains near normal region wide with the peak near 110-120 percent of normal over central Idaho and into the higher elevations of southwestern Idaho and far northern Nevada. Weather across the Great Basin will be governed by a weakening El NiƱo through the spring and early summer. The monsoon is expected to be on schedule this summer and arrive in the Great Basin by early to mid July.

Southwest: Normal significant wildland fire potential is expected for the Southwest in April. Above normal fire potential will develop beneath the Mogollon Rim and into parts of southern and central New Mexico during the outlook period May through June. Normal fire potential is expected for the month of July. A shift toward a predominantly cooler and wetter overall pattern is anticipated for the month of April. By May, a drier pattern will gradually develop overall, especially focused across the eastern third of the region (New Mexico central mountain chain eastward). Monsoonal onset should be on-time to somewhat delayed this summer and could be focused along and west of the Continental Divide with a significantly drier regime setting up across the eastern half of New Mexico eastward into Texas.

Rocky Mountain: Temperatures during March were above average overall. High elevation snowpack across the Area was near to slightly above average over northern Colorado and southern and far western Wyoming. Snowpack was slightly below average in southern Colorado. Long range outlooks for the April-May period maintain an normal to slightly wetter-than-normal precipitation regime and slightly cooler-than-normal conditions focused in southern and western portions of the Rocky Mountain Area, with precipitation near to slightly below normal in the far northern and eastern portion of the region. Average temperature and precipitation patterns are predicted for the June July period.

Whew! Sorry for the long post. I'm sitting it out this year - Ya'll have fun out there !

And once the Race is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the Race is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the Race, you won't be the same person who rode in. That's what the Race is all about.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #429 on: April 09, 2016, 08:57:53 PM
cliffordbarnabus

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: April 09, 2016, 08:57:53 PM »

do most folks still find the attached as still being accurate?

* TD_TownNotes.pdf (89.43 KB - downloaded 291 times.)

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #430 on: April 10, 2016, 06:16:40 PM
Jbennett

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: April 10, 2016, 06:16:40 PM »

Compilation of some longer range weather and fire outlooks.

Thank you!

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #431 on: April 10, 2016, 08:06:24 PM
metalartgate

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: April 10, 2016, 08:06:24 PM »

The route no longer goes through Rawlins it goes to Wamsutter. So you'll have to rework that section.

do most folks still find the attached as still being accurate?

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #432 on: April 11, 2016, 08:17:58 PM
JasMattock

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: April 11, 2016, 08:17:58 PM »

I Want to do a test ride at elevation. Any suggestions? There are 2 loops I've found that incorporate the TD route north and south of Steamboat Springs.  How much snow should I expect? Is this a good idea? Trying to plan the trip for the end of April.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #433 on: April 12, 2016, 09:47:19 AM
pyerger

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: April 12, 2016, 09:47:19 AM »

Spring storm coming to Colorado this weekend. I would say anything around steamboat will be snow covered at the end of April? But not sure? right now the snow level, is at about 9000' here in the front range.part of the TD route Como to salida through Southpark is fairly dry country, and should be snow free.

Peter

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #434 on: April 12, 2016, 11:30:38 AM
hrtpmpr

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: April 12, 2016, 11:30:38 AM »

What is everyone doing for rain shell type stuff?  Hooded jackets and pants?  What brands/models work well?
Cheers,
Rob

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #435 on: April 12, 2016, 01:28:20 PM
kiwidave

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: April 12, 2016, 01:28:20 PM »

Rain gear - Gore Bike Wear Alp-X jacket and pants.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #436 on: April 12, 2016, 06:24:24 PM
Flinch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #436 on: April 12, 2016, 06:24:24 PM »

<meta name="authors" content="The Zen Cart&trade; Team and others" />
<meta name="generator" content="shopping cart program by Zen Cart&trade;, http://www.zen-cart.com" />

Look dude, this is NOT a forum to spam trying to sell fake watches...your other spam sent to 'Spirit of the TD' came through today as well.

So wise up and go away.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #437 on: April 13, 2016, 09:42:36 AM
Pampa

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: April 13, 2016, 09:42:36 AM »

Hi guys, sorry for the radio silence. I am really slammed at work right now. And also training.  Smiley Things will settle down for me in a few weeks and I would be happy to organize a group overnighter. We could leave from my house in West Orange and go out and do some camping near the Pennsylvania border. It would be about 65 miles each way. It's about two-thirds paved and the climbs are pretty mellow compared to what you will find on the Divide, but it is still a good shake down for your gear. If this is your first time on the Divide I highly recommend making sure your rain gear is in good shape. The cold wet weather we have right now is exactly what you will find up in the mountains quite frequently. Only up there there are no gas stations for warming up.  Oh, and hills hills hills.. . .  the climbs out here are like a little warm up for out there.

Hi Payton,

I'm on the same boat. Since the moment I asked for 4 weeks at work to do this, they front loaded a ton of work for me and I'm to my ears now!  This past Sunday I did my first really long ride. I wanted to do 106 miles (the course of the Lu Lucka Wyco Hundo race in PA) but I got lost after 50 miles so I cut back to the car and ended up with 75 miles. Will try for 100 again this Saturday. The following Saturday I'm joining two guys to try and do 140 miles in one day (not sure how that's going to go Smiley.

I like your idea for the overnighter. Count me in. I still have to put together my bike (training with my fatbike w/ 21 lb of weights taped to it Smiley but should be ready in 2 weeks. I also have most of my essential gear. Let me know what date you have in mind so I can plan for that.

Cheers,
Segundo

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #438 on: April 13, 2016, 10:26:59 AM
Iowagriz

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: April 13, 2016, 10:26:59 AM »

Snow is melting fast in Montana - unseasonably warm temps.

Graves Creek Snotel at 4300 feet - I believe top of that first pass up Graves Creek is around 5300 feet
4/1/16 - 30"
4/8/16 - 24"
4/13/16 - 13"
http://wcc.sc.egov.usda.gov/reportGenerator/view/customSingleStationReport/daily/500:MT:SNTL%7cid=%22%22%7cname/-29,0/WTEQ::value,WTEQ::median_1981,WTEQ::pctOfMedian_1981,SNWD::value,PREC::value,PREC::average_1981,PREC::pctOfAverage_1981,TMAX::value,TMIN::value,TAVG::value?fitToScreen=false

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #439 on: April 15, 2016, 06:51:19 AM
Lentamentalisk

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: April 15, 2016, 06:51:19 AM »

Maybe this isn't the place for it, but as someone who has never ridden any sections of the TD, I'm not quite sure why everyone says 2" or greater tires are necessary. I regularly ride "mountain bike" trails on a cross bike with 38c tires and have no trouble. Is it the rocky ground, or the mud you need to float across, or general bump smoothing, or something else entirely that pushes people to the fatter range of tires?

Thanks!
  Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 34
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: