Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 34
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #200 on: January 21, 2016, 07:42:39 AM
gotchile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: January 21, 2016, 07:42:39 AM »

and be prepared for more riders, and people in Banff.

http://www.bucketride.bike
#TD15
Pain is temporary, quitting is forever

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #201 on: January 22, 2016, 02:09:10 AM
Matteo Max Messina

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 22, 2016, 02:09:10 AM »

I did it!

June 8, 16.30 pm I have the Shuttle for Banff... 'i'm so excited.... Rookie from Italy...!

Thanks!

Tour Divide: Calgary to Banff Shuttle:
Mike Yawney from the Banff Airporter is again supporting the racers and giving a 15% discount to Tour Divide racers. The promo code is: divide (it is not case sensitive).

http://www.banffairporter.com/

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #202 on: January 23, 2016, 12:37:08 PM
lbergen2

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 23, 2016, 12:37:08 PM »

I'm planning on racing the 2016 tour divide, and I had a couple of gear questions for others planning on racing as well. I know it's supposed to be a rainy year so was curious how other racers are planning on preparing for that. What type/brand of waterproof pants are you guys packing along? Also what about gloves and socks/shoe covers? Thanks!

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #203 on: January 23, 2016, 12:45:42 PM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 23, 2016, 12:45:42 PM »

I'm planning on racing the 2016 tour divide, and I had a couple of gear questions for others planning on racing as well. I know it's supposed to be a rainy year so was curious how other racers are planning on preparing for that. What type/brand of waterproof pants are you guys packing along? Also what about gloves and socks/shoe covers? Thanks!

El Nino forecast is showing no elevated chance of precip:  http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/lead05/off05_prcp.gif

Still, you will see plenty of rain regardless of the forecast.  IMO your rain jacket is far more important than the pants.  Your core temp is what you will need to keep up and layering with materials that stay warm when wet with a GOOD rain jacket is the best plan.  Keep in mind that "breathable" fabrics don't breathe when the outside humidity is 100%.  Waterproof shells to wear over gloves are a good idea as well since cold hands are miserable and don't work well.  Socks/shoe covers IDK, hopefully others will give you suggestions for those.  I believe Matt Lee uses Subway sandwich bags over his socks.  Again, breathable fabrics won't in the rain.

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #204 on: January 23, 2016, 01:05:21 PM
lbergen2

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 23, 2016, 01:05:21 PM »

Awesome, thanks for the advice. I have an Eddie Bauer rain jacket which works very well, just doesn't pack as small but that's okay as long as it does the job. I did part of the divide last summer and used it a few times and seemed to work great. I've seen a few people using those cuben fiber material mitts to use over their hands. So maybe just use something similar to that for over the hands and shoes would be a good idea.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #205 on: January 23, 2016, 01:45:46 PM
flyboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: January 23, 2016, 01:45:46 PM »

Awesome, thanks for the advice. I have an Eddie Bauer rain jacket which works very well, just doesn't pack as small but that's okay as long as it does the job. I did part of the divide last summer and used it a few times and seemed to work great. I've seen a few people using those cuben fiber material mitts to use over their hands. So maybe just use something similar to that for over the hands and shoes would be a good idea.

Extra large dish washing gloves over my gloves worked an absolute treat for me last year. Well, until I lost one on a descent in the Flathead! Do you think I could find XL gloves in any supermarket in the US after that? Do guys have small hands in the US or just not do any washing up? Wink

Also, if you don't know who Guy Martin is have a watch of this. https://youtu.be/oXwyhMunrXY and this https://vimeo.com/109761230
A funny, complex individual who I am sure will relish the challenge of the TD. I just worry what the inevitable exposure might do for the race. I am all for more people cycling but the wider the exposure the TD gets, more people who don't get the ethics of the challenge will be attracted.

Good luck to all of this years challengers. May your training and gear fussing go smoothly!

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #206 on: January 24, 2016, 06:34:55 AM
Briansong

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 24, 2016, 06:34:55 AM »

Extra large dish washing gloves over my gloves worked an absolute treat for me last year. Well, until I lost one on a descent in the Flathead! Do you think I could find XL gloves in any supermarket in the US after that? Do guys have small hands in the US or just not do any washing up? Wink

Also, if you don't know who Guy Martin is have a watch of this. https://youtu.be/oXwyhMunrXY and this https://vimeo.com/109761230
A funny, complex individual who I am sure will relish the challenge of the TD. I just worry what the inevitable exposure might do for the race. I am all for more people cycling but the wider the exposure the TD gets, more people who don't get the ethics of the challenge will be attracted.

Good luck to all of this years challengers. May your training and gear fussing go smoothly!

Funny stuff on the dishwashing gloves. I raced in 2014, the year of the "rain and snow." Gloves were a really big deal. Waterproof gloves? Ha, what a joke (for the most part). I was in Eureka re-suppling, I saw these long rubber over cleaning gloves in the grocery store. I bought them, they actually worked well. Plus, I was ready to clean the odd over if it became necessary.

On the raincoat, I had the Gore bike wear one. It worked good but as reported in the feedback, it is impossible to zip and unzip with one hand. Sounds like no biggy but as many times as you need to adjust it for ventilation, it required a stop. In a deluge, you're going to get wet. riding as the cliche goes "wet and warm" needs to be achievable.

Feet, I used Woolie Boolie socks and the gore tex sock covers. Again, feet were wet but never cold. The Woolie Boolie socks proved so comfortable, I bought enough to wear them every day of my life. I'm in Phoenix, wear them summer-winter, great product.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #207 on: January 24, 2016, 08:24:56 AM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 24, 2016, 08:24:56 AM »

I used freezer bags for pogies with no gloves and grocery store bags over regular cycling socks in my shoes. In '14 and '15. Worked so well a lot of racers copied me each year. Much lighter/less bulky than extra gloves and socks. Sauna effect. Trapped body heat rules!
With any setup I recommend testing it out. Impromtu changes like oven mitts may be catastrophic in Canada and Montana learning on the fly. 

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #208 on: January 25, 2016, 12:04:48 AM
kiwidave

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 25, 2016, 12:04:48 AM »

A I've seen a few people using those cuben fiber material mitts to use over their hands.
Cuben fiber mitts are great, but they are not so durable. Layering works well. I'm taking a wool liner gloves (warm when wet), standard riding gloves, cold weather gloves (good on its own to 8 degrees C), cuben fiber over glove (Zpacks) plus will have some tested rubber gloves on hand in case the first few days look grim (e.g. 2014).

Mark's freezer bag pogies are a good idea - I'm curious how they are arranged - Mark - can you post a pic?

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #209 on: January 25, 2016, 07:15:40 AM
gotchile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: January 25, 2016, 07:15:40 AM »

I purchased gortex socks, I guess they work.  They were a hassle to put on I thought.  I used them once, putting them on at Boullton Creek trading post, where many racers were putting on their rain gear.  The next day at Flathead river, I decided to just walk through the water, I figured my feet were going to get wet anyway.  For Sale: A pair of slightly used gortex socks, used once. 

http://www.bucketride.bike
#TD15
Pain is temporary, quitting is forever

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #210 on: January 25, 2016, 07:24:48 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: January 25, 2016, 07:24:48 AM »

I purchased gortex socks, I guess they work.  They were a hassle to put on I thought.  I used them once, putting them on at Boullton Creek trading post, where many racers were putting on their rain gear.  The next day at Flathead river, I decided to just walk through the water, I figured my feet were going to get wet anyway.  For Sale: A pair of slightly used gortex socks, used once. 

I've never been able to get any kind of Goretex footwear to work for me because Goretex doesn't stretch at all.  For the Canadian Flathead there is a stretch of several miles that will require wading and another area where stepping in mud and black muck is just about guaranteed.  That's not to mention any possible snow.  I rode flat pedals with Keen sandals, so no problem for me - just take off the socks and go.  For riders with bike shoes it seems like something is needed, whether overshoes (I tried Showers Pass, but they were shredded after a couple hundred miles) or a second pair of something to use for wading/snowshoeing/hike-a-bike.

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #211 on: January 25, 2016, 08:15:16 AM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 25, 2016, 08:15:16 AM »

Freezer bag pogies directions:
1. cut 2.5" slit in corner of bag.
2. put on grip over brake lever and pull lever to get bag by it and let extended lever "hold" bag in place along with the small hole going all the way to the end of the grip.
3. Open bag enough to put hand in and out freely.
4. ride at night with or without gloves when dry for extra warmth or wind break.
5. ride in rain with no gloves to save gloves for later.
6. double them up if necessary.

It works better than extra gloves and socks IMHO. Grocery store bags over the socks or subway bags if u can find em. You end up with wet but warm hands and feet in rain. In cold it beats extra layers which add weight and bulk to setup.

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #212 on: January 25, 2016, 09:40:53 AM
kiwidave

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 25, 2016, 09:40:53 AM »

Thanks Mark for the pogie instructions.

Hydration port in frame bag - I'm getting an Alpkit frame bag and can have the hydration port in either the top tube edge or the down tube edge. Any advice as to which is preferable?

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #213 on: January 25, 2016, 09:55:08 AM
Flinch

grandpasbikelife.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: January 25, 2016, 09:55:08 AM »

For 2013 and 2015...

Bought $3.50 US military five finger glove liners, blend of wool and nylon, without shell. Used them plus riding gloves. Wet but warm. No need for waterproof anything with this setup. Wool military mitten type gloves with trigger finger (like lobster gloves) will work but much heavier and a bit slippery. I like cheap...

Feet: Two pair thin wool socks, one pair thicker wool (not all worn at same time!). You will have enough stream/mud crossings to make putting on/off anything a pain. I brought lightweight pair of camp shoes, and after on and off 'dance' for the first stretch of Flathead river ride, just went with riding shoes. I waded through everything else along the way with riding shoes. Warm plus/minus wet. Wool is key. Wool nice master....my precious!

Didn't have snow hiking, so YMMV in that event, and no experience with Gore socks or gloves...although I DO have an idea for Gore underwear...perhaps later?

Glen

And once the Race is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the Race is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the Race, you won't be the same person who rode in. That's what the Race is all about.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #214 on: January 25, 2016, 03:48:42 PM
dp

Health Coach. Hope Dealer. Mountain Bike Junkie.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: January 25, 2016, 03:48:42 PM »

Gutsy!  I love it.

I'm doing an ITT SoBo, starting early August.  Hopefully we'll cross paths somewhere along the way.  Best of luck to you both!

Me and my Son have added our details to the Google Doc.

Leaving around the beginning of August NoBo. Would have liked to make the GD, but it clashes with his school term.

This is our bike (pictured just after we'd completed a 24hr race)

"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."  - H. G. Wells
www.davidjamesphillips.com
www.davidjamesphillips.blogspot.com

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #215 on: January 25, 2016, 05:30:00 PM
Flinch

grandpasbikelife.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: January 25, 2016, 05:30:00 PM »

Too bad the two can't do the GD. The kid has guts, see http://minipips.blogspot.co.uk/ . Will be an interesting year: youngest rider, Guy Martin, (word on the street) Mike Hall...

And once the Race is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the Race is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the Race, you won't be the same person who rode in. That's what the Race is all about.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #216 on: January 26, 2016, 06:49:02 AM
kiwidave

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 26, 2016, 06:49:02 AM »

... Chris Plesko and Joe Fox are also going to be two to watch this year also. Joe had an awesome rookie ride in 2015 and I think he'll do something big in 2016.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #217 on: January 26, 2016, 02:32:28 PM
Wilmaness

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 26, 2016, 02:32:28 PM »

Hi guys - TD newbie here.

Quick questions regarding handlebars. What is everyone going with and has anyone who's done it before have any advice.

My plan is to run something like the the Soma Mary bars and then fit some aero bars to give myself a different riding position. Thoughts?!

Cheers!

Will

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #218 on: January 26, 2016, 02:37:23 PM
richpips

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 26, 2016, 02:37:23 PM »

Too bad the two can't do the GD. The kid has guts, see http://minipips.blogspot.co.uk/ . Will be an interesting year: youngest rider, Guy Martin, (word on the street) Mike Hall...

Hmm, might make the GD yet. Wink

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #219 on: January 27, 2016, 11:28:12 AM
tonydc

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 27, 2016, 11:28:12 AM »

Hello gang. Bit of a creeper/fan  here! I follow the race yearly. I have toured the route and live in Calgary. Any local logistical questions? I'll try to help!
  Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 34
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: