Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 34
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #40 on: October 13, 2015, 03:49:27 AM
GregMay

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2015, 03:49:27 AM »

Looking like I may be an SoBo ITT about a week before the Depart. Trying to balance out work and home commitments to make it easier.

Greg

Rides bikes, pulls skids...badly.
~
HTR 2013
TDR '16
Baby '17
TDR '18

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #41 on: October 23, 2015, 10:48:53 AM
phil_rad

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2015, 10:48:53 AM »

I've been bitten again by the Divide bug, I'm a solid maybe for next year. Have to see if I can get the time off from work.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #42 on: October 23, 2015, 05:47:45 PM
dskunk

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2015, 05:47:45 PM »

Once bitten, always bit. I'm going back next year(2016). Picked up a new fork for my divide bike today. Lots of little changes for 2016. Who would have thought that such a thing as a bike race could consume so much time, energy, and cash.

Cheers, Dave Stowe

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #43 on: October 23, 2015, 11:34:41 PM
phil_rad

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2015, 11:34:41 PM »

Oh yeah Dave, you can say that again! I thought I was done with this thing, haha, no way! Although I don't need much gear, probably nothing, it still will cost a good chunk of cash.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #44 on: October 24, 2015, 12:22:55 AM
phil_rad

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2015, 12:22:55 AM »

Question to the Vets of 2015, there is a new section just past Elkford, BC. After the climb out of town you turn right on to a dirt road or is it single track? Whats this like? All rideable or is there HAB sections in there and is it longer or shorter than before? Also, does anyone have the cues for this?

Thanks!

Phil

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #45 on: October 24, 2015, 09:30:17 PM
bpeschka

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2015, 09:30:17 PM »

Phil,

Try this link from last year.   https://goo.gl/L3O1Nn

You'll find a narrative as well as a google map.  This is more than enough info to get you through.

Basically, you head out of Elkford on 43 as if you're going on the original route.  After a few (uphill) miles, you turn right on Fording River Rd, also on the original route.  After a couple of miles, you start the alternate on what starts out as dirt road towards Josephine Falls.  Not real well marked, but the narrative is accurate.  It looks like it was/is used for some logging.   Follow this dirt road in, watch your odometer.  When you get to about the distance, per the narrative, you'll see a narrow single track trail take off to the right, initially pretty steeply up.  then it single tracks for a while.  (if you get all the way to the Josephine Falls lookout, you went too far). Whether it's rideable or not depends on the rider.  I stumbled along and did a little of both.  The single track only lasts a few miles.  Then you spit out onto another dirt road which heads south.  It improves as you go along.  A few more miles and you rejoin Fording River Rd.  

Once you see where things are, you can see the trail and follow along on Google Earth.  It's way easier than my description

Good Luck,

Question to the Vets of 2015, there is a new section just past Elkford, BC. After the climb out of town you turn right on to a dirt road or is it single track? Whats this like? All rideable or is there HAB sections in there and is it longer or shorter than before? Also, does anyone have the cues for this?

Thanks!

Phil

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #46 on: October 24, 2015, 10:03:42 PM
bpeschka

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2015, 10:03:42 PM »

Thanks!

Phil

Here's an extract from an email sent out in Spring 2015 in advance of TD2015, regarding all known alternates.  Doesn't mean this info will be 100% accurate for 2016, but it's a start.

1) Kananaskis Lakes Trail Bypass, AB (required bidirectionally) https://goo.gl/nhhrMi
2) Josephine Falls Trail Bypass, BC (required bidirectionally) https://goo.gl/L3O1Nn
3) Fish Lake Mountain Bypass, WY (required bidirectionally) https://goo.gl/NQu0bz
4) Wamsutter Bypass, WY (required bidirectionally) https://goo.gl/o4XwUf
5) Gold Dust Trail Bypass, CO (required sobo ONLY) https://goo.gl/6SeyCR
6) Chaco Alternate, NM (optional) See ACA Map
7) El Malpais Alternate, NC (optional) See ACA Map
Cool Sapillo Alternate, NM (required bidirectionally) See ACA Map
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 11:10:34 PM by bpeschka » Logged

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #47 on: October 24, 2015, 11:52:23 PM
phil_rad

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2015, 11:52:23 PM »

Hey Bill, Thanks a bunch! That will give me something pour over ;-)

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #48 on: October 28, 2015, 02:17:25 AM
flyboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2015, 02:17:25 AM »

Thanks!

Phil

Phil, use a gps and just follow the line on it!
The trail climbs into a logged out forest and while a little used single track, it was mostly rideable for me on a woodchipper equipped bike, even though it was quite wet at the time.There were a few small hike a bike sections but that was mainly because I was saving my legs. It is rough as I saw one bottle and one can of bear spray lying on the trail.
Hope this helps.
Dave
P.S. If you aren't using a gps for nav you are going to be pretty seriously handicapped as a rookie imho.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #49 on: October 28, 2015, 11:24:10 AM
phil_rad

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2015, 11:24:10 AM »

Phil, use a gps and just follow the line on it!
The trail climbs into a logged out forest and while a little used single track, it was mostly rideable for me on a woodchipper equipped bike, even though it was quite wet at the time.There were a few small hike a bike sections but that was mainly because I was saving my legs. It is rough as I saw one bottle and one can of bear spray lying on the trail.
Hope this helps.
Dave
P.S. If you aren't using a gps for nav you are going to be pretty seriously handicapped as a rookie imho.
Dave, Cues are just a backup, gps is my main guide.
Thanks for the description of the trail.
Phil

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #50 on: October 28, 2015, 12:43:48 PM
flyboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2015, 12:43:48 PM »

Dave, Cues are just a backup, gps is my main guide.
Thanks for the description of the trail.
Phil
Phil, yes my mistake. I see you didn't ask about that. I was sort of throwing it out there because there is someone every year who wants to race it with no gps. It would have taken me days longer this year if I was just using maps/cues.
Cheers
Dave

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #51 on: October 28, 2015, 09:42:06 PM
phil_rad

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2015, 09:42:06 PM »

Dave, no worries buddy! :-) To be honest this will be my third attempt to finish! The first time I had no GPS, its actually not really a problem navigating with cues but I did make a couple of mistakes along the way. The second time I had a GPS, was easier for sure, no navigation blunders there, just mental problems ;-)

I'm trying to decide on wether or not to take a tent or a tarp. My tent is an ultra light six moons design lunar solo, tarp is a MLD monk tarp. Tent is easy and fast to set up, tarp on the other hand takes a little longer and is not as weather/bug proof as the tent. I'll have to use it some in months leading up to the race before I make my final design.

Phil

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #52 on: October 30, 2015, 07:05:17 AM
NelsonC

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2015, 07:05:17 AM »

I would be very interested in hearing people's opinion on the tent vs tarp and/or bivy question. How bad do the bugs get?  Any feedback or links to older posts would be appreciated.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #53 on: October 31, 2015, 12:10:25 PM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2015, 12:10:25 PM »

Tent is a bad move for most racers. Why? Well for starters most folks who are thinking tent will be staying in hotels 75-85 % of the time. Faster and better recovery. The straight truth is that we think we are going to get ahead by staying out but unless you can truly pull full moves at night you will be caught by the hoteliers and end up totally demoralized. Then you join them and regret carrying the full on sleep kit and redundant clothing options.

Actually racing the TD and staying out on passes with the grizzlies is much harder in actuality than in off-season forum talk. Eventually you will end up having to sleep in scary spots until Wyoming.

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #54 on: October 31, 2015, 12:36:22 PM
phil_rad

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2015, 12:36:22 PM »

So do you think just a bivy is all that one needs?

« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 08:44:00 PM by phil_rad » Logged

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #55 on: November 01, 2015, 02:31:02 AM
flyboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2015, 02:31:02 AM »

I have to disagree with 4est.
I took a tent because if I was camping I wanted/needed to get a good nights sleep and didn't want to be kept awake being eaten by bugs. I didn't suffer the mozzies in Montana or Wyoming that many did but the sandflies(I think) south of Grants were viscious and I was so glad of having a bug proof spot to eat/plan/sleep that night. It just depends on how comfortable you are with being uncomfortable. I saw many a racer this year that pushed it too much, had a bad nights sleep and were zombies, crawling along, for the next day of so. Not getting quality rest, on top of 12-17 hours per day on the bike, really does your head in.
There isn't a "best" option. It merely comes down to what works best for you. Don't discount the mental comfort that a quality sleep setup will bring. Having a great setup will give you the confidence to ride past hotels and wild camp when needed. The towns along the route are not simply spaced a days ride apart.
As someone once said, this race is 90% mental. The other 10%....is mental. Whatever you can do to strengthen your mental resolve with good kit will help tip the odds of you finishing in your favour.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #56 on: November 01, 2015, 05:40:13 AM
mbeardsl

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2015, 05:40:13 AM »

Keep in mind the lowest legal Rohloff input ratio is good for the power of a pro-racer. So most people can safely go lower.

The hub is protected by replaceable shear pins so absolute worst case you aren't destroying your hub. I haven't run into anyone with a Rohloff who has actually sheared those pins.
+1

I'm 240 and run a Rohloff on my 36er at 32x16 on single track etc.  I'm in no way a pro but put out decent power (ftp=350) mainly because I'm big.  WAY outside warrantied range with that big of a wheel but gives me a decent range and no issues with too much torque shearing the pins.  For lighter folks I wouldn't be worried at all.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #57 on: November 01, 2015, 06:58:22 AM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2015, 06:58:22 AM »

So do you think just a bivy is all that one needs?

Yes. Like I said above most mid pack racers wont stay out much until Colorado anyway. Dave may have done it and I may have, but not many else did. And the hotel crew in the 20-25 day range was just as fast.

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #58 on: November 01, 2015, 04:11:53 PM
gotchile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2015, 04:11:53 PM »

I took a bivy this year, it worked ok.  I'd do a tent next time.  If it had been rainy it would,not have been fun in a bivy.  Heavy dew most mornings another reason. A bivy doesn't breath very well either.  Btw, the bug has bitten me again, I'll be 61 in February, you have to do these things while you can..

http://www.bucketride.bike
#TD15
Pain is temporary, quitting is forever

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #59 on: November 01, 2015, 08:43:14 PM
phil_rad

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2015, 08:43:14 PM »

I agree with flyboy, at least for my needs. Light weight is great but if I can't get a good nights sleep then I'm headed for a mental meltdown. Unless you're really hardcore, which I think we all know that dream4est is. Triple Crown Finisher and all.....You are in a different league dude.
  Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 34
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: