Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #640 on: June 04, 2016, 07:09:02 PM
Erik_A

View Profile
« Reply #640 on: June 04, 2016, 07:09:02 PM »

Some inspiration:  http://theradavist.com/2015/06/the-2015-tour-divide-race-grand-depart-in-banff/#1

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #641 on: June 04, 2016, 09:29:02 PM
Get Mounted

View Profile
« Reply #641 on: June 04, 2016, 09:29:02 PM »

Hey All,

You may recall the amazing elevation profiles Shane Wighton put together last year - really amazing (especially for a data visualization geek like me). I stole his pictures, and added @Joraff's words and  mashed them up into this:

I'm printing these out on water proof paper and bring them along. THANK YOU Shane and Joraff! If anybody would like the full set they're here:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3vQQoA6xta3VVN2aTJRZ1pFc1U&usp=sharing

If there's demand, I could possible print up a few more sets of these before I head out on Monday.

Can you please print me a copy too? I'll gladly pay in beer - Matt Griggs

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #642 on: June 05, 2016, 10:25:56 AM
kiwidave

View Profile
« Reply #642 on: June 05, 2016, 10:25:56 AM »

Hey everyone - thanks for all the advice given and good questions asked on Bikepacking.net. I'm off to Banff tomorrow and will be lining up for the Grand Depart on Friday morning.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #643 on: June 05, 2016, 10:34:11 AM
seabiscuit

View Profile
« Reply #643 on: June 05, 2016, 10:34:11 AM »

Looking forward to meeting you KiwiDave! Thank you for all the help!

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #644 on: June 05, 2016, 11:30:58 AM
robotfury

View Profile
« Reply #644 on: June 05, 2016, 11:30:58 AM »

See you all as you make your way down to AW. I will be headed north. If you hear the sound of someone in the distance firing expletives at their bike or other inanimate objects, that will be me.  Good stuff.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #645 on: June 06, 2016, 04:30:56 AM
JoeP

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: June 06, 2016, 04:30:56 AM »

Seabiscuit, I would love a copy of those awesome elevation maps! Likewise I will pay in beer or whatever currency you prefer! I am arriving in Banff on the 8th. Joe Hoskins, 434-825-2883.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #646 on: June 06, 2016, 07:01:28 AM
threepin

View Profile
« Reply #646 on: June 06, 2016, 07:01:28 AM »

In Reply to Pampa's question about using global entry card alone- the answer is - maybe
I have asked at that station before and been told yes, however the GE card is not meant to work in the absence of a passport like the nexus card enhanced drivers license or passport card is. In fact in most airport customs the card is not used in the GE lane, your passport is.

They probably would let you back in if you are a us citizen without too much issue( they can't keep you out, just can make it a miserable process. I wonder if Canada would let you in on just the card though, my experience is that things are tougher/funkier going up than coming back but that is as a US citizen living near the border with a property in BC.

one other issue in recent years has become the backups at the border, particularly heading north at the end of summer weekends. For a while there had been reports of multi hour lines due to lack of staff/capacity on the canadian side.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #647 on: June 06, 2016, 10:19:32 AM
Rob Colliver

View Profile
« Reply #647 on: June 06, 2016, 10:19:32 AM »

Good old FaceyMcFacebook; it just reminded me about my LIO from 2011 and this time I didn't even consider writing one for this season, so here is my first one copied and pasted from the forum back then.

It will have to suffice as this years letter of intent too.

Not much has changed though I plan to be faster....

As good luck would have it, I fell upon word of this race whilst returning from a kayaking adventure within the Arctic and grasped that this rather long bicycle race is such stuff as dreams are made of, or, whence first hearing of this event should I condemn it as an improbable fiction?

Swift as a shadow, I put away the paddle and took up the challenge of locating a comfortable saddle

Why?  Well it sounded like a good show and it’s fun to pitch in and turn your hand to a new game

Planning to arrive at the Banff Springs Hotel with a lean and hungry look; getting the first week slowly under my belt; rising with the sun each morning, and thinking “what light through yonder window breaks?”

Why rush these first days of June, we have tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow

Progress- In the forests of Montana in the darking hour with little food we say “Up with my tent! Here will I lie tonight— but where to-morrow?”

In my minds eye I see the high passes of Colorado and blow blow thou winter wind and later I see this desert; this desert that lasts for ever and a day and keep in mind there shall be no more cakes and ale until I can count myself a king of infinite space and roll into civilization once again.

Into the final chapter and the game’s afoot, the race is on at last  - but soft, what light through yonder tent window breaks? … it is past time to rise and ride again.

During these 20+ days on the Divide, therein the patient must minister to himself and be not afraid of greatness.  I will be grateful to finish, knowing the course of true Tour Divide riding never does run smooth.

What 's done is done – at the end of the ride  - for you and I are past our racing days, it is time to hang up our shoes and reflect; can we fail? But screw your courage to the sticking place, and we'll not fail.

Rob Colliver (“The Islander”)
with assistance from William Shakespeare.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #648 on: June 06, 2016, 12:58:49 PM
Payton MacDonald

View Profile
« Reply #648 on: June 06, 2016, 12:58:49 PM »

Hi guys and gals,

Best of luck for your race!  Rock it hard! I'm touring it NoBo at a moderate pace and I'm looking forward to bumping into you all the next few weeks.  You can check out my project here: www.sonicdivide.com  My SPOT tracker is on the GDMTBR Trackleaders page.

Also, I'm resting in Silver City for the day and I was hanging with the Gila Hike and Bike shop guys and they gave me some great H2O intel (sorry if this has already been shared, but I didn't see it), but between Pie Town and Silver City DO NOT get water from Wall Lake.  Apparently even with a filter there's a high risk of giardia.  The water at Beaverhead is fine of course, and then there's a stream/campground south of Wall Lake that is supposedly okay if you filter it.

Hope that helps.  For you NoBo folks the heat is ferocious between 2 and 7 p.m.  Be careful out there!

Payton

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #649 on: June 06, 2016, 06:28:58 PM
fromBrushMtn

View Profile
« Reply #649 on: June 06, 2016, 06:28:58 PM »

Greetings Tour Dividers!
I am sure you are all getting excited for your big journey!  I hope this reaches you all…as I know I am posting closer to the start than usual this year….

For those of you who don’t know me, I’m Kirsten, and I run the Brush Mountain Lodge in Slater Colorado…just inside the Colorado state line (for south-bounders).

I offer a sort of oasis for cyclists in the center of nowhere…and the (almost) center of the race. However, this post is to say there will be a slight change at the lodge for this year. 
I had a spinal fusion surgery in February.  And while I am feeling really great, it is a long and careful recovery.  As a result, I am not going to be able to provide as much care and comfort this year as I have done in the past. 
It has been a challenge for me to figure out how to manage the limitations of my physical state, while also wanting to hold space and be here in this really amazing community of athletes and adventurers.  (Which is why I have waited up to the very last minute to post….sorry!)

So, here’s how it breaks down for the summer of 2016:

I still have the usual lodging available: (all lodging is first come first served)
4 cabins for rent: They are private and comfortable, and usually rent for 140/nt.  However, when you arrive by your own power I give you a 50% discount. (!) These allow for some privacy, or for a couple of people to share a cabin as well. 

There are two rooms in the lodge that I rent by donation…they are comfortable as well, but can be a bit louder.  Once the lodge rooms are full, there are a few sites for bivy-ing out back.  (also by donation.)
You can wash your kit while you are here, kick me a donation…
I will have a few tubes for the desperate…until they’re gone…kick me a donation…I think you’re getting the idea…(:

Food:
The big news is that I am not going to be as consistently in the kitchen this year.  I will provide as many meals as I can, but I am not able to promise that I will always be there making you a hot meal. 
For the rookies:  I also do food by donation…we are not a restaurant, and it’s pretty much cooks choice, but I try and feed the hungry, and only ask that you pay what you can or what it’s worth to you.  (:
There will be some grab and go food…stuff you can microwave and eat yourselves for the times when the kitchen is closed.
I will do my best…but I am tired more easily this summer, and have to listen to the signals for now.

I saw a post somewhere where an informed veteran mentioned that I don’t take credit cards…I have actually modernized that part, and am happy to take your card, should you want to use it.  Of course cash is king, but there are options.

Also:  If you or someone you know, are planning a late summer or autumn ITT, let it be known now that we will be closed for a private hunting camp again this fall beginning the week after labor day.  Please plan accordingly!

I hope I see each and every one of you!  I have been wanting to do an audio documentary of this race for years….hopefully I’ll figure out how to pull something like that together this year.

Stay safe, have so much fun, and savor each and every moment!

See you soon!!!

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #650 on: June 06, 2016, 06:35:52 PM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: June 06, 2016, 06:35:52 PM »

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Kirsten!

You are by far the greatest trail angel, supporter, blue-dot junkie, etc, of this race.  Best wishes for a speedy and smooth recovery.  I hope to make it as far as your place some day.

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #651 on: June 06, 2016, 06:40:03 PM
fromBrushMtn

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: June 06, 2016, 06:40:03 PM »

Thank you, Bob! 
And, I'm ALWAYS rootin' for you....a fellow Yooper!...it'll happen!  ('

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #652 on: June 06, 2016, 09:40:04 PM
Pampa

View Profile
« Reply #652 on: June 06, 2016, 09:40:04 PM »

Hi seabiscuit,

This looks great! If it's not too late I'd like a copy too and will pay you in the currency of your choice too. I'll be in Banff on wed afternoon at the youth hotel.

Thanks!
Segundo

Hey All,

You may recall the amazing elevation profiles Shane Wighton put together last year - really amazing (especially for a data visualization geek like me). I stole his pictures, and added @Joraff's words and  mashed them up into this:

I'm printing these out on water proof paper and bring them along. THANK YOU Shane and Joraff! If anybody would like the full set they're here:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3vQQoA6xta3VVN2aTJRZ1pFc1U&usp=sharing

If there's demand, I could possible print up a few more sets of these before I head out on Monday.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #653 on: June 06, 2016, 09:42:59 PM
Pampa

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: June 06, 2016, 09:42:59 PM »

Greetings Tour Dividers!
I am sure you are all getting excited for your big journey!  I hope this reaches you all…as I know I am posting closer to the start than usual this year….

For those of you who don’t know me, I’m Kirsten, and I run the Brush Mountain Lodge in Slater Colorado…just inside the Colorado state line (for south-bounders).

I offer a sort of oasis for cyclists in the center of nowhere…and the (almost) center of the race. However, this post is to say there will be a slight change at the lodge for this year. 
I had a spinal fusion surgery in February.  And while I am feeling really great, it is a long and careful recovery.  As a result, I am not going to be able to provide as much care and comfort this year as I have done in the past. 
It has been a challenge for me to figure out how to manage the limitations of my physical state, while also wanting to hold space and be here in this really amazing community of athletes and adventurers.  (Which is why I have waited up to the very last minute to post….sorry!)

So, here’s how it breaks down for the summer of 2016:

I still have the usual lodging available: (all lodging is first come first served)
4 cabins for rent: They are private and comfortable, and usually rent for 140/nt.  However, when you arrive by your own power I give you a 50% discount. (!) These allow for some privacy, or for a couple of people to share a cabin as well. 

There are two rooms in the lodge that I rent by donation…they are comfortable as well, but can be a bit louder.  Once the lodge rooms are full, there are a few sites for bivy-ing out back.  (also by donation.)
You can wash your kit while you are here, kick me a donation…
I will have a few tubes for the desperate…until they’re gone…kick me a donation…I think you’re getting the idea…(:

Food:
The big news is that I am not going to be as consistently in the kitchen this year.  I will provide as many meals as I can, but I am not able to promise that I will always be there making you a hot meal. 
For the rookies:  I also do food by donation…we are not a restaurant, and it’s pretty much cooks choice, but I try and feed the hungry, and only ask that you pay what you can or what it’s worth to you.  (:
There will be some grab and go food…stuff you can microwave and eat yourselves for the times when the kitchen is closed.
I will do my best…but I am tired more easily this summer, and have to listen to the signals for now.

I saw a post somewhere where an informed veteran mentioned that I don’t take credit cards…I have actually modernized that part, and am happy to take your card, should you want to use it.  Of course cash is king, but there are options.

Also:  If you or someone you know, are planning a late summer or autumn ITT, let it be known now that we will be closed for a private hunting camp again this fall beginning the week after labor day.  Please plan accordingly!

I hope I see each and every one of you!  I have been wanting to do an audio documentary of this race for years….hopefully I’ll figure out how to pull something like that together this year.

Stay safe, have so much fun, and savor each and every moment!

See you soon!!!

Thank you for all the info Kirsten, and fir having us. Look forward to meeting you.
I hope your healing continues well.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #654 on: June 07, 2016, 12:09:22 AM
james-o

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: June 07, 2016, 12:09:22 AM »

..a king of infinite space..

Fitting .. for all who ride into 'that place' somewhere along the Divide. Good luck Rob!

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #655 on: June 07, 2016, 07:55:25 AM
dskunk

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: June 07, 2016, 07:55:25 AM »

I had a spinal fusion surgery in February.

See you soon!!!

THAT doesn't sound like much fun, Kirsten. Hope you are still able to sit around and chat with us as we dribble through your place. BML was by far one of my most enjoyable memories from 2014.
Cheers, Dave Stowe

Cheers, Dave Stowe

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #656 on: June 07, 2016, 09:21:27 AM
Erik_A

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: June 07, 2016, 09:21:27 AM »

Do you see anyone that you know's bike here:
http://bikepackersmagazine.com/2016-tour-divide-rigs/

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #657 on: June 07, 2016, 11:14:27 AM
Gimmearaise

View Profile WWW
« Reply #657 on: June 07, 2016, 11:14:27 AM »

Good Luck everyone, super jealous, but stoked for all of you. Ride like the wind. Oh, also....Anyone know anything about the ladies race this year, I have not heard much regarding the woman's field.

Cheers, NB

WWW.BikepackingSummit.com

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #658 on: June 07, 2016, 01:13:35 PM
Rob Colliver

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: June 07, 2016, 01:13:35 PM »

If any GD riders are bored tomorrow morning, I'll be riding out of the BS carpark at about 0730 and would love to see you (before you all whizz past me in a few days time....)

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #659 on: June 07, 2016, 05:37:43 PM
Pivvay

Riding and exploring

View Profile WWW
« Reply #659 on: June 07, 2016, 05:37:43 PM »

Do you see anyone that you know's bike here:
http://bikepackersmagazine.com/2016-tour-divide-rigs/

Mine is the single speed with white bags

-Chris Plesko
  Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: