Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 34
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #300 on: February 23, 2016, 09:42:10 AM
Sandstorm

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: February 23, 2016, 09:42:10 AM »

I have signed up on the google doc sheet and need to send letter of intent.
Does the letter of intent get sent to tourdivide@gmail.com?

Also I have the 2015 gpx file on my garmin. Do we know if it will be the same route? Will a new file be posted if it changes?

Thanks!

The difficult you're suppose to do right away.
The impossible that will take a few days longer.
-Edward keeylocko

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #301 on: February 23, 2016, 12:43:57 PM
phil_rad

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 23, 2016, 12:43:57 PM »

I have signed up on the google doc sheet and need to send letter of intent.
Does the letter of intent get sent to tourdivide@gmail.com?

Also I have the 2015 gpx file on my garmin. Do we know if it will be the same route? Will a new file be posted if it changes?

Thanks!

That's the email address you send in your LOI. The GPS track for 2016 might be slightly different than from last years, there should be a new one sent out to all racers a couple of weeks before the GD. Keep an eye out on this site for updates.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #302 on: February 25, 2016, 12:13:55 PM
groovy.rides

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 25, 2016, 12:13:55 PM »

I didn't want to start a new thread about this, but is anyone willing to split a hotel room in Banff? I'd gladly split the cost, but all my money is going to gearing up, and I'm not too wild about staying in a hostel with 6 other people in my room.

Please help!!!

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #303 on: February 26, 2016, 03:58:49 PM
Sandstorm

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 26, 2016, 03:58:49 PM »

I think I may have touched on this subject before. But to the people who have ridden the route in the past. What kind of temps did you encounter at night? At what point along the route does the temperature really warm up? Say 45 degrees and warmer at night.
I went on a prep ride yesterday and I was entirely to warm at night. Granted I think the low temp during the night was maybe in the high 40's. I have a 30 deg big anges sleep system. Im wondering if I should go with a higher temp rating.

What temp bags have you used? What sleeping bags are people planning on using this year?

Thanks for all the input and responses to all my posts!

-Edward keeylocko

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #304 on: February 26, 2016, 08:29:54 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #304 on: February 26, 2016, 08:29:54 PM »

Going Sobo, Salida seemed to mark the place where the differences in temp really do show themselves, and I find I want to perhaps get rid of a few warmer items.

You still have the highest pass (Indiana) to contend with outside of Del Norte which is above treeline, but the road riding to Marshall Pass can be devastatingly hot in the middle of the day.

From my experience, 30 degrees would be the super high end in rating I would do the TD at. You could probably go with a lot higher temp rating, and lose some real weight in that dept. I have done well with a 45 degree bag in CO in the summer, supplementing with my clothes I also sleep in. In NM and southern CO you'll feel way too warm in a 30 degree bag. Perhaps look into a sleeping bag liner that ups the rating up the bag a little bit, that you can then mail make (in Salida!) before going into NM.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #305 on: February 27, 2016, 02:50:12 PM
Sandstorm

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 27, 2016, 02:50:12 PM »

Thanks for the insight. I was thinking about changing my bag maybe in Steamboat to something lighter weight. I have been in sub freezing temps in august in Montana. But I can also layer up. The idea of a liner is a good too.
I am looking at the big agnes Pitch Pine 45 deg. with 850 down tech insulation, super light weight bag.
Anyone else thought of this sleeping bag option?

-Edward keeylocko

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #306 on: February 27, 2016, 08:29:18 PM
flyboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: February 27, 2016, 08:29:18 PM »

I didn't want to start a new thread about this, but is anyone willing to split a hotel room in Banff? I'd gladly split the cost, but all my money is going to gearing up, and I'm not too wild about staying in a hostel with 6 other people in my room.

Please help!!!

You can get single and double rooms in the Y for a modest price and the Y is TD central, so you get the whole pre race experience too.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #307 on: February 27, 2016, 11:37:02 PM
phil_rad

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 27, 2016, 11:37:02 PM »

Thanks for the insight. I was thinking about changing my bag maybe in Steamboat to something lighter weight. I have been in sub freezing temps in august in Montana. But I can also layer up. The idea of a liner is a good too.
I am looking at the big agnes Pitch Pine 45 deg. with 850 down tech insulation, super light weight bag.

I have the older version of the pitch pine, I think its rated at 40°C. So far its been a great bag. There are lighter ones out there but it works for me. I also have an clear view pad from BA, I like the way they fit together and you can't slide off the pad.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #308 on: February 28, 2016, 01:21:50 PM
Payton MacDonald

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 28, 2016, 01:21:50 PM »

HI TD racers,

Below is a short, 2-minute video about my training for the Sonic Divide adventure this summer. If you like it, please share!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTcWCdr_ZmQ

And here is the link to the original Sonic Divide video that explains the project in case you missed that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kze0PuGrhBA

And here's a vid that shows some of the experimental music I'll be doing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0OFY3DBHsA

I hope to see you all out there.  If you're not racing too hard perhaps you'll let me interview you for the film I'm making?  Smiley  Best wishes for your training and stay safe out there.

Best,
Payton

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #309 on: February 28, 2016, 08:43:34 PM
phil_rad

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 28, 2016, 08:43:34 PM »

HI TD racers,

Below is a short, 2-minute video about my training for the Sonic Divide adventure this summer. If you like it, please share!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTcWCdr_ZmQ

And here is the link to the original Sonic Divide video that explains the project in case you missed that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kze0PuGrhBA

And here's a vid that shows some of the experimental music I'll be doing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0OFY3DBHsA

I hope to see you all out there.  If you're not racing too hard perhaps you'll let me interview you for the film I'm making?  Smiley  Best wishes for your training and stay safe out there.

Best,
Payton

Payton,

That's really cool! What date are you leaving? I'll give you an interview, gotta take time  for something like this. :-)

Phil

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #310 on: February 29, 2016, 09:00:25 AM
Flinch

grandpasbikelife.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: February 29, 2016, 09:00:25 AM »

In 2013 I used the BA Yampa, which is a 40 degree bag and a tent. Last year I used the green color Pitchpine bag, and a Moment Tarptent. Had ice on the tent two nights and with a hat and extra clothes never got cold. Most nights slept in gym shorts and silk shirt, used my Nano Puff jacket a couple nights.

Glen

And once the Race is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the Race is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the Race, you won't be the same person who rode in. That's what the Race is all about.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #311 on: February 29, 2016, 10:35:13 AM
Angler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: February 29, 2016, 10:35:13 AM »

Hi Folks, Even us non racers are getting prepared for this years TD.  I just got off the phone so wanted to have all participants know that there will NOT be, as of this time, bicycle repair available in Seeley Lake, Montana.  Rocky Mountain Adventure Gear has been sold and altho the name still applies they are for bike rentals only and have no repair staff on board nor parts.  If this changes I will notify you.

The Blackfoot Angler in Ovando is looking for a new supplier for your emergency needs [tires, tubes, co2 cartridges etc] for sale in Ovando and I am confident we will find one.  If any of you have a wish list on what supplies would be most beneficial, please let me know!

So pass the word as Seeley was a major repair stop during inclement weather.
Thanks and sorry for the bad news.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #312 on: February 29, 2016, 04:55:21 PM
Sandstorm

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 29, 2016, 04:55:21 PM »

Thanks Flinch
Sounds like 40 deg bag is the magic number. I want to go with BA because I like there sleep system designs. The pitch pine is a 45 now. I think that is the bag I'll go with. Unless something better comes up between now and June.

-Edward keeylocko

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #313 on: February 29, 2016, 09:01:21 PM
THE LONG RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #313 on: February 29, 2016, 09:01:21 PM »

IMHO, I think 40-45 degree will work fine on the TD, provided you supplement with a few creative ideas (hey, its UL - if you can't get two uses out of each thing, you're doing it wrong!). I used a cheap synthetic 45 degree bag and survived. Wink May be a little nippy before CO, but you'll be a bit warm in NM. Thus is the nature of the beast.

Also, IMHO I think paying almost $400 on a 40-45 degree bag is a little spendy. I'm a frugal guy fer sure, and maybe I live in a curious geographical area where there's an outdoor industry with sales reps offloading their demo gear to the local sports recyclery - but I pick up bags well below that price that are very much comparable in weight. Haven't seen any with that water repellent application though. I *have* one of those bags that I bought new - and it's great, but I almost never bring it out, because it's almost too nice.

But if you're going that route, I think BA is a great choice. Is their HQ right by Orange Peel in Steamboat, still? I would see the head dude hanging at the BBQ place when I swung by.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #314 on: March 01, 2016, 08:08:41 AM
Sandstorm

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 01, 2016, 08:08:41 AM »

I was just in the Boat recently checking out the route in and out of town. Well from the top of the mountain anyway Smiley
BA has two shops in town pretty close to Orange Peal.
The Big Agnes bag is a bit expensive but I get a pretty good deal on them. Im not to worried about "using" my expensive gear, thats why i buy it.
I have a down tech bag from them and I really like it. I haven't had any problems with the down but I also haven't had it in pouring rain either. It seems like a lot of companies are using a treated down or blend these days, it must work.

-Edward keeylocko

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #315 on: March 01, 2016, 09:15:53 PM
Gimmearaise

View Profile WWW
« Reply #315 on: March 01, 2016, 09:15:53 PM »

Yeah, the Spot 3 is a bit easier to lash to various places.  The Trace really needs to be put inside of something.  On the TD there are usually plenty of pockets and such to shove the little device into.  However, if you plan on using the device in other pursuits away from the Divide the Gen 3 is MUCH easier to strap onto a backpack, kayak, climbing harness, etc.  This year I rode the whole route with my Spot on the shoulder strap of my backpack.
Also, I believe that you need a small screwdriver to change the batteries in the Trace.  The Gen 3 has little wing nut type screws so you can do it by hand.
I'm hearing that the Gen 4 is not far off... It should be pretty cool with text capabilities...

WWW.BikepackingSummit.com

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #316 on: March 02, 2016, 08:47:45 AM
Trhoppe

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 02, 2016, 08:47:45 AM »

If you need a cheap 40 degree bag, it's hard to beat this one: http://www.rei.com/product/896028/kelty-cosmic-down-40-sleeping-bag-mens?cm_mmc=cse_PLA_GOOG-_-8960280001&CAWELAID=120217890001859982&lsft=cm_mmc:cse_PLA_GOOG

It does say 1lb 12oz for the regular, but mine is right at 1lb 8oz. Then again, I've got last year's model, which is the all yellow one. Since it was $80 and so light, we actually bought it for the dog when we were backpacking and camping below freezing.

IMO, the REI Flash at 30 degrees compresses a bit better and is a bit lighter, for a few more bucks. To me, it's a bit more useful as with a liner (http://www.rei.com/product/797113/sea-to-summit-reactor-plus-thermolite-compact-liner) it's actually comfortable down to the low 20s, and unzipped as a comforter, I can use it into the summer when it's in the low 50s. I like multi-use things Smiley
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 09:02:33 AM by Trhoppe » Logged

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #317 on: March 02, 2016, 09:11:32 AM
bakerjw

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 02, 2016, 09:11:32 AM »

Next to a grizzly getting friendly, my biggest fear is getting done in by the cold. Nothing says "quit" more than cold exposure.

I am riding out a week after the grand departure with the intent of a pace somewhere between race and tour and am only going to get in 1/4 to 1/3 of the route before having to bail and head back to work. But I went with a 20 degree bag at 2lbs 8 oz. I'll take a slight weight penalty if it puts some warmth in my favor.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #318 on: March 02, 2016, 10:36:46 PM
THE LONG RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #318 on: March 02, 2016, 10:36:46 PM »

If you need a cheap 40 degree bag, it's hard to beat this one: http://www.rei.com/product/896028/kelty-cosmic-down-40-sleeping-bag-mens?cm_mmc=cse_PLA_GOOG-_-8960280001&CAWELAID=120217890001859982&lsft=cm_mmc:cse_PLA_GOOG

It does say 1lb 12oz for the regular, but mine is right at 1lb 8oz. Then again, I've got last year's model, which is the all yellow one. Since it was $80 and so light, we actually bought it for the dog when we were backpacking and camping below freezing.

IMO, the REI Flash at 30 degrees compresses a bit better and is a bit lighter, for a few more bucks. To me, it's a bit more useful as with a liner (http://www.rei.com/product/797113/sea-to-summit-reactor-plus-thermolite-compact-liner) it's actually comfortable down to the low 20s, and unzipped as a comforter, I can use it into the summer when it's in the low 50s. I like multi-use things Smiley

Whoa dude. Those are both ones I ALSO have. And I also have that liner.

Kelty (the yellow one!) is a rad bag. Got mine for a song, as well. It's a little snug for me, but I appreciate how much it packs down. My REI Flash is a women's Long (Hah, ha), and is a bit older than the model being shown. Worked great in all manners of CO summer, up to I think 12,000 feet or so,

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #319 on: March 03, 2016, 07:20:34 PM
sfuller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #319 on: March 03, 2016, 07:20:34 PM »

I think I may have touched on this subject before. But to the people who have ridden the route in the past. What kind of temps did you encounter at night? At what point along the route does the temperature really warm up? Say 45 degrees and warmer at night.

I used a 25F quilt in 2015. There were a couple of nights that it was nice to have, but I could have made due with a lighter rating and supplemented with other clothes I had with me. By the time I figured out that I wanted something in the 32 - 40F range, it was too late to order something before the GD. I recall the night I spent on Lynx Pass Campground just south of Steamboat as being fairly cold (especially in the AM). We did have unusually nice weather this past year though.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 34
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: