Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 34
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #120 on: December 20, 2015, 01:15:20 PM
SouthDownsMTB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: December 20, 2015, 01:15:20 PM »

I'm doing an ITT with my son a couple of weeks after the race starts as he needs to finish his college term.

I've got a Garmin Touring plus which I'll be charging off a SP dynamo hub, I was wondering what mapping people use? I've tried searching the forum, but can't find the answer. There seems to be a bewildering array of maps on offer you can put on the device and I don't want to buy the wrong thing.

Cheers,

Jimbo

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #121 on: December 20, 2015, 01:27:35 PM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 20, 2015, 01:27:35 PM »

I'm doing an ITT with my son a couple of weeks after the race starts as he needs to finish his college term.

I've got a Garmin Touring plus which I'll be charging off a SP dynamo hub, I was wondering what mapping people use? I've tried searching the forum, but can't find the answer. There seems to be a bewildering array of maps on offer you can put on the device and I don't want to buy the wrong thing.

Cheers,

Jimbo

I just downloaded the free TD set from Topofusion.com.

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #122 on: December 20, 2015, 01:43:47 PM
SouthDownsMTB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: December 20, 2015, 01:43:47 PM »

Thanks BobM

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #123 on: December 20, 2015, 08:59:22 PM
Flinch

grandpasbikelife.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: December 20, 2015, 08:59:22 PM »

What they said...

Water filter: Ditto Sawyer, but carry tablets that kill Crypto and Giardia for suspect water (ie: near cows or dead elk). I used Katydyn, reason is that some suspect water also has virus. Sawyer only filters protazoa and bacteria. So if getting water out of cow pasture drainage ditch like I did both trips, add tablet to kill any virus, such as hepatitis, etc.. Yep, that water was brown but 'clean' ! I used cheapo water bottle to fill Sawyer 1 liter bag, then squeezed into 'clean' water bottles and Platypus bags. Cheapo bottle is because it is hard to fill Saywer bag from standing water. You can also fill cheapo bottle, add tablet, and wait for drinkable water = extra carry capacity.

Iodine and Clorox drops do not kill Crypto or Giardia. Oh yeh, might want to get good bug repellent; when you stop to filter, mozzies are waiting!

Tip'O'Day: Water is plenty in Canada all the way to Pinedale WY. Bonus Tip: Don't carry water up Richmond Pass, at least three springs on main road near top.

Flinch

And once the Race is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the Race is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the Race, you won't be the same person who rode in. That's what the Race is all about.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #124 on: December 21, 2015, 12:41:29 AM
kiwidave

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 21, 2015, 12:41:29 AM »

Sawyer only filters protazoa and bacteria.
Flinch

The Sawyer Mini removes 99.99999% of all bacteria, such as salmonella, cholera and E.coli; removes 99.9999% of all protozoa, such as giardia and cryptosporidium.

What it does not remove is viruses - for that tablets are the best. I want to take some Aquamira tablets (not available in Europe it seems) for anything that looks really dodgy.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #125 on: December 21, 2015, 07:14:33 AM
sfuller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: December 21, 2015, 07:14:33 AM »

Cheers,

Jimbo

Assuming that you mean something like street level detail maps, your best choices are really the Garmin North American maps (not-free), or Open Street Maps (free). I've loaded the Open Streetmaps basemap on my Dakota 20 GPS and they work well. I have the Garmin maps on my 800.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #126 on: December 21, 2015, 04:06:59 PM
Sandstorm

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 21, 2015, 04:06:59 PM »

Power supply-

What are your thoughts on Dynamo hubs? Useful tool to have?

Solar panel with charging pack?

Or try to keep everything powered by disposable batteries?

What did you use and why? Would you change anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The difficult you're suppose to do right away.
The impossible that will take a few days longer.
-Edward keeylocko

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #127 on: December 21, 2015, 04:37:27 PM
kiwidave

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 21, 2015, 04:37:27 PM »

Power supply-

Check this out in the Q&A forum ... http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/question-and-answer/hub-dynamo-and-electronics-thread/

There is a fair bit of chatter on this on the past years' forums on this too.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #128 on: December 22, 2015, 02:56:21 PM
Sandstorm

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 22, 2015, 02:56:21 PM »

That is a nice link full of information. Thanks!
I contacted KLite via face book. He replied to me right away and answered all my questions about using a dynamo set up. Awesome guy!

I think I'm going to try and set up a dynamo hub. Son hub with Klite. Simple set up. Switch on to power the light at night, switch off to charge a battery pack during the day. This way I can charge a couple of items at night. While the rest of my electronics will be powered by AA, AAA. So i will just keep a few extras and pick up more along the route.
This set up will be kinda pricey though. :/

-Edward keeylocko

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #129 on: December 22, 2015, 08:40:42 PM
phil_rad

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 22, 2015, 08:40:42 PM »

I got my flight, shuttle to Banff and room at the Y booked. Now it feels real.

I've been using a dyno hub hooked up to the Plug from supernova, I can charge a powerbank during the day, to keep my phone and ipod charged up. Etrex runs on AA bats but I mostly have it hooked up to the plug via USB cable. My main light is a supernova e-3 triple, runs directly off the hub. They say that you can either have the light on or charge a device with the Plug while riding but if you're going over 10mph then both will work.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 08:44:59 PM by phil_rad » Logged

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #130 on: December 23, 2015, 06:42:14 PM
Payton MacDonald

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 23, 2015, 06:42:14 PM »

Forgive me if this has been covered in another thread (and feel free to direct me to it, but I couldn't find it), but what advice can TD vets offer on refueling between Grants and Silver City?  I'm going to be heading Northbound, doing an ITT at a touring pace, aiming for about 90 or so miles a day so in some ways my concerns are different than the racers, but it looks from the maps that other than Pie Town there is NOTHING between Silver City and Grants.  And Pie Town only has the two restaurants with limited hours, right?  No gas station or anything else, right?  So if I roll into Pie Town and I'm out of food and the restaurants are closed I'm pretty much SOL until the next day, right?

And as for water, how dependable is the Beaverhead Work Center for water?  I see lots of streams crossing the route once you're north of Silver City, so is water somewhat plentiful or is it really tough to find?

Thanks for the help,

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #131 on: December 23, 2015, 07:57:45 PM
Flinch

grandpasbikelife.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: December 23, 2015, 07:57:45 PM »

Pie Town has the 'Toaster House', a free place open 24 hours for hikers and bikers to stay. Stocked with food, hosted by a nice trail angel. Be sure to donate if you stay there = keeps the place going.

Glen

And once the Race is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the Race is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the Race, you won't be the same person who rode in. That's what the Race is all about.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #132 on: December 23, 2015, 09:31:50 PM
phil_rad

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 23, 2015, 09:31:50 PM »

Payton, 21 miles outside of Pinos Altos is Lake Roberts. If you take the CDT alternate then it's about four miles (one way) off route. On the ACA map it says " Grocery 3,1 mi. W. of Pie Town on U.S. Hwy 60, restrooms also, call for hours, Top of the World General Store 772-2777 or 800-658-8750"
My maps are from this year so they should be pretty accurate. I'd call to make sure the place exists though. 

Hope that helps.

Phil

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #133 on: December 23, 2015, 09:49:26 PM
Sandstorm

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 23, 2015, 09:49:26 PM »

Are there any concerns about bears getting into food supply while camped out? Trying to get into I'm assuming sleeping 5-6 hours tops.
Ca, Mt, Wy, Co you can easily run into bear traffic.

Thoughts?
I'd hate to lose my snicker bar that i'm saving for breakfast!

Again, thanks everyone for all the useful info and links.

-Edward keeylocko

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #134 on: December 24, 2015, 03:45:32 AM
phil_rad

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 24, 2015, 03:45:32 AM »

I don't know if anybody has had their food supply eaten from a bear at night but there are other critters out there that can wreak havoc on your bags and eat your grub like mice, rats, raccoons, weasels etc.... 
I never hung my food up in bear country but maybe I got lucky.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #135 on: December 24, 2015, 08:34:30 AM
kiwidave

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 24, 2015, 08:34:30 AM »

Are there any concerns about bears getting into food supply while camped out?

Bears:

Bear density map is here: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?sll=46.7248%2C-112.807617&dg=feature&hl=en&t=h&oe=UTF8&num=200&start=0&sspn=1.269004%2C2.221985&msa=0&z=7&ie=UTF8&mid=zwdbczDNCLPA.kUOVXBi409qw

However, density and "trouble" are not closely related, so pretty much the whole route there are bears around and racers should be bear aware.

Bear safety seminar given at NOLS by Dr Tom Smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PExlT-5VU-Y

Either of these two books will give you enough information to be able to make an informed decision:

http://www.amazon.com/Bear-Attacks-Causes-Avoidance-revised/dp/158574557X/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_1

http://www.amazon.com/Backcountry-Bear-Basics-Definitive-Mountaineers/dp/1594850283/ref=pd_sim_14_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=51QnN9cJl7L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR102%2C160_&refRID=1AWHCTJ1XX1KE947487H

FWIW: I'm carrying bear spray and a whistle the whole route, will hang food, and will minimise carrying open food in the bear dense areas (Canada / Whitefish - Red Meadow / Swan Valley / Moran - Pinedale)

« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 08:52:17 AM by kiwidave » Logged

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #136 on: December 25, 2015, 07:28:15 AM
kiwidave

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 25, 2015, 07:28:15 AM »

Tour Divide: Calgary to Banff Shuttle:
Mike Yawney from the Banff Airporter is again supporting the racers and giving a 15% discount to Tour Divide racers. The promo code is: divide (it is not case sensitive).

http://www.banffairporter.com/

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #137 on: December 26, 2015, 10:47:35 AM
Sandstorm

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 26, 2015, 10:47:35 AM »

Tons of useful information here. Thanks for all of the links. I purchased the 2015 Cordillera, and I will also get the adventure cycling set of maps with the book.
I have more ROOKIE questions.
I've begun looking for plane tickets. One way is pretty cheap at the moment so that is awesome. What is the preferred method of bike transport? Are you shipping your bike to a local shop, boxing it up on the plane? If you're mailing it where to? I have flown with my bike before, while it is expensive its nice to have it when you arrive.
I believe i read somewhere, on the 100's of forums and articles, that the grand depart is on the second friday in june, is this correct? As everyone knows the website isn't up to date.
I found a 2015 GPX file that I downloaded to my Garmin. It is the entire route in a 10,000 point version. Is this enough detail or should I DL something else.
I am still figuring out this new garmin etrex. I will be testing it on the AZT soon.

Thanks again for everyones input. While I may not reply to your comments I do take them all into consideration and have researched every bit.

-Edward keeylocko

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #138 on: December 26, 2015, 11:01:41 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 26, 2015, 11:01:41 AM »

Tons of useful information here. Thanks for all of the links. I purchased the 2015 Cordillera, and I will also get the adventure cycling set of maps with the book.
I have more ROOKIE questions.
I've begun looking for plane tickets. One way is pretty cheap at the moment so that is awesome. What is the preferred method of bike transport? Are you shipping your bike to a local shop, boxing it up on the plane? If you're mailing it where to? I have flown with my bike before, while it is expensive its nice to have it when you arrive.
I believe i read somewhere, on the 100's of forums and articles, that the grand depart is on the second friday in june, is this correct? As everyone knows the website isn't up to date.
I found a 2015 GPX file that I downloaded to my Garmin. It is the entire route in a 10,000 point version. Is this enough detail or should I DL something else.
I am still figuring out this new garmin etrex. I will be testing it on the AZT soon.

Thanks again for everyones input. While I may not reply to your comments I do take them all into consideration and have researched every bit.

Bike transport - taking it on the plane is more expensive BUT you have it. Someone a few years back had their bike (shipped) held up in Customs and missed the GD.  If you decide to ship it, make arrangements with a bike shop in Banff or Canmore to receive it for you and ship it early - but then you don't have it to train with for a longer time.

GPX file - Scott will have an up-to-date one posted for download at Topofusion probably in May.  Not sure if there will be any course changes for the coming year, but there are usually a few.

Yes, GD is second Friday in June - should be June 10th. 2016.

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #139 on: December 26, 2015, 04:27:51 PM
davew

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 26, 2015, 04:27:51 PM »

Tour Divide: Calgary to Banff Shuttle:
Mike Yawney from the Banff Airporter is again supporting the racers and giving a 15% discount to Tour Divide racers. The promo code is: divide (it is not case sensitive).

http://www.banffairporter.com/

I rode from the airport to Banff the last couple of years. Its only 88miles (144km) and is an easy ride. The 1A that takes you to Canmore then the bike path takes you to Banff. Its much much quieter than riding the 1 (Trans Canada Highway) and there are a couple of places to stop for  lunch and take in the scenery. It will be some of the easiest riding you do on your trip. Getting out of Calgary is the hardest part but easily solved by finding a route on google and then creating a gpx file for your gps. I also managed to sort out some issues with the bike setup on the ride after reassembling it in the airport. The airport cleaning staff were very helpful and took care of the bike box. Something to think about anyway.

GPS tip: you want to have a good understanding of your GPS before you turn up at the start. Test everything -  maps, route, settings for the backing light, north up or track up, the daytime and night time settings and what happens to the screen when it changes from day to night (that one had me confused for a while). Search 'GPS maps' in the forum as there are plenty of places to get good free maps. Geocaching is a good way to understand how your GPS works and how to load maps and way points. The geocaching site has some very good lessons on how to use your gps. If you are not sure, ask the question. Hope this helps.
  Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 34
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: