Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 34
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #100 on: December 08, 2015, 11:30:41 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 08, 2015, 11:30:41 AM »

You can always find somewhere to tie-off a tarp...TDR 2014 thumbsup

If you wake up to "beep, beep, beep" get the heck out of there!

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #101 on: December 09, 2015, 06:27:47 PM
Rob.b

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 09, 2015, 06:27:47 PM »

Hi Everyone

I just thought id say hi as im too down to do the TD16 ....coming all of the way from NZ, ive time booked off work and kinda have a plan.

Good reading the posts so far.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 07:07:49 PM by Rob.b » Logged

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #102 on: December 10, 2015, 04:55:25 AM
GregMay

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: December 10, 2015, 04:55:25 AM »

I appear to have accidentally asked my line manager for permission and been told no problem.

See you in Banff.

Greg

Rides bikes, pulls skids...badly.
~
HTR 2013
TDR '16
Baby '17
TDR '18

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #103 on: December 10, 2015, 12:34:55 PM
kiwidave

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 10, 2015, 12:34:55 PM »

They have finally started putting my TD bike together ... fingers crossed the 2.35's will fit in there.

* unnamed (2).jpg (126.88 KB, 523x700 - viewed 1510 times.)

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #104 on: December 10, 2015, 12:55:50 PM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 10, 2015, 12:55:50 PM »

They have finally started putting my TD bike together ... fingers crossed the 2.35's will fit in there.

Make sure they leave room for the mud  icon_biggrin

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #105 on: December 11, 2015, 03:08:33 AM
kiwidave

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 11, 2015, 03:08:33 AM »

Which rim: Arch Ex or Flow Ex?

I'm riding a 27.5 rigid/Rohloff, and want to use Arch Ex rims. My mechanic isn't sure and thinks maybe the Flow Ex would be a better choice.

I'm 62 kg with 23kg dry weight + max 8kg food water & Columbia Falls RV Park T-shirt. etc.

Any advice welcome.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #106 on: December 11, 2015, 03:19:18 AM
phil_rad

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 11, 2015, 03:19:18 AM »

Hey Dave, I don't know about the 27.5 thing but I've been using Stans Arch wheels (29er) for 6 years with great results; no rim failures, bent or otherwise damaged. I weigh 82 kg plus I usually have around 16-19 kg of crap with me. I think the Flow's are overkill for the TDR, just my 2 cents. I hope that helps.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #107 on: December 11, 2015, 04:52:09 AM
NelsonC

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 11, 2015, 04:52:09 AM »

My numbers are close to those of Phil's.  My LBS talked me into going with the Flows over the Arches.  Put the order in earlier this week.
Maybe I should have sought the wisdom of the web a bit earlier :-)

Nelson

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #108 on: December 11, 2015, 05:48:37 AM
kato

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: December 11, 2015, 05:48:37 AM »

Dave, with that Rohloff in the rear and its dishless build I'd think you'd be great with the Arch.  Our off-road tandem has a Rohloff and I laced a super stout wheel with a Flow equivalent rim.  I would suggest above all else that your builder be knowledgeable about the specific Rohloff building nuances.  That giant Rohloff flange can build into an awesome wheel but does best with a bit different lacing than many people would consider to be the "best" for off road use.  Rohloff has a lot of info regarding this topic.

It's not how far you go, it's how go you far.

http://faroutwanderings.blogspot.com

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #109 on: December 12, 2015, 11:05:01 AM
Gramps

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 12, 2015, 11:05:01 AM »

KiwiDave,  I have 2000 miles on 29er/Rohloff with Stans Arch wheels, I weigh 175 lbs.  No mechanicals so far.   Also hope your shoulder is doing well!         Gramps 

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #110 on: December 12, 2015, 04:32:06 PM
RonK

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 12, 2015, 04:32:06 PM »

Using a Rohloff hub a maximum two-cross lacing will be possible due to the diameter of the flanges. A three-cross lacing will result in an acute exit angle at the spoke nipple and breakages will be inevitable. Your 650b rims will exacerbate the exit angle. Under the circumstances I'd agree with the builder and choose the Flow.

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #111 on: December 13, 2015, 12:07:25 AM
phil_rad

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 13, 2015, 12:07:25 AM »

Since we're on the topic of Rohloff hubs......aside from changing the oil in it once a year, is there any other preventive maintenance that should be done? My hub is about 12 years old, I bought it used 4 years ago and have just changed the oil, it runs smooth as a top, with 14 gears ;-) Also would it be wise to have the wheel re-laced on a new rim and spokes before the GD?

Thanks for the advice

Phil

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #112 on: December 19, 2015, 11:17:26 PM
Sandstorm

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 19, 2015, 11:17:26 PM »

Divide rookie here. I like many people here am a gear junkie. Some equipment I have questions about. Outer shell layers, rain gear, down jackets, thermals?
What are the nights usually like in the high country for temp? Sleeping bag rating? Pad set up?
Does anyone take a stove for boiling water?
Shoe type, did you size up?

I had tons of questions these are some things I'm trying to cover now to make sure I have my equipment picked and field tested.

The difficult you're suppose to do right away.
The impossible that will take a few days longer.
-Edward keeylocko

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #113 on: December 19, 2015, 11:51:09 PM
phil_rad

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 19, 2015, 11:51:09 PM »

Sandstorm I know how you feel. Rain gear is very important to have but no matter what you have if it rains for days on end you're going to get wet, therefore its really important to stay warm. Make sure you can do that. Base layers should be Merino wool, stays warm when wet. Also if your down jacket gets wet then it won't keep you warm and it'll be hard to dry it properly. Something like a Patagonia Nano jacket or pullover is the better choice IMO, it will still keep you warm when wet. I've been in the situation where I was soaked to the bone and freezing, even with a so called waterproof garment. I downed my Nano and I was immediately started to warm up. 

Sleeping bags are another thing, I would recommend a lightweight down bag rated at 40°-32°F and a decent pad. My sleep set up is a Big Agnes Pitchpine 40° and a BA pad, they fit perfect together I can't roll off the pad. On cold nights I sleep in as many clothes as I have to stay warm. Yes, I've froze my ass off before! :-) All part of the game. Night temps can drop into the upper to mid 20's, in freak years maybe even colder. Bringing a small stove could bring you a mental boost when camping in the cold but the added weight and bulk might not be worth it. Its a personal choice in the end, you decide.

Have fun training and testing your gear.

Phil

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #114 on: December 20, 2015, 09:45:55 AM
Flinch

grandpasbikelife.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: December 20, 2015, 09:45:55 AM »

Sandstorm, +1 on Phil_Rad's ideas

Like him, my sleep setup is a Big Agnes Pitchpine bag, so temp range of 40 degrees is spot on. I use a tent both times, but would try bivy next time. Adjust sleeping comfort by wearing layers of clothing if needed. Keep your bag DRY! You will get wet while riding, either from rain or sweat, so wet and warm is key.

Be brutal while packing: take ONE of everything for clothing, except two pairs of socks. By that I mean one pair riding shorts, one jersey (wool good), one thermal lightweight hat, warm gloves, one set arm/leg warmers, one synthetic jacket (mine = Nano Puff), one pair shoes = riding shoes only. I got extra wide shoes (my feet are wide), and then had cobbler stretch them. Your feet may swell, but don't go overboard, a half size larger than normal should do.

Cooking: Forget it. Leave stove and pots etc. at home. I took cook set first time, not second, big difference in weight.

Basic rule: Make sure rain gear and sleep system is bombproof. All else is fluff.

Remember that the race is a road ride, and lightweight is good. There are plenty of resupply stations along the route, and if you really need another chunk of gear, you can find it.

You'll do fine   thumbsup

Flinch

And once the Race is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the Race is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the Race, you won't be the same person who rode in. That's what the Race is all about.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #115 on: December 20, 2015, 10:18:41 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 20, 2015, 10:18:41 AM »

"if you really need another chunk of gear, you can find it."

This is key.  As Matthew says in one of the extras on the Ride the Divide DVD, pack as you would for a long day ride and then add camping gear.  Simple.

Stove?  Mountain climbers cut the labels off their clothes to save weight.  You'll be doing more climbing in 3 weeks than any mountain climber ever - OK, not a valid comparison, but still, keep it simple, keep it light.  If you pull into a convenience store after a hard climb with 3 full water bottles, kick yourself good.

Can't remember if it was Matt Lee or someone else, but advice on sleeping cold was "if you wake up too cold to sleep, get on the bike."

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #116 on: December 20, 2015, 11:00:35 AM
sfuller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: December 20, 2015, 11:00:35 AM »

Be brutal while packing: take ONE of everything for clothing, except two pairs of socks. By that I mean one pair riding shorts, one jersey (wool good)

I'd mostly echo this sentiment, other than suggesting two pairs of shorts, preferably from different manufacturers.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #117 on: December 20, 2015, 11:07:05 AM
Sandstorm

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 20, 2015, 11:07:05 AM »

Awesome information guys!
Some of the gear i have on the list-
Bike will be a Fargo

Riding clothes, jersey and 2 shorts.
2 pairs of socks
pearl izumi thermal tights, thinking these would be a nice warm layer to ride in and sleep in on cold nights.
smart wool long sleeve top
Patagonia nano puff
rain gear, light weight marmot rain jacket. Pearl Izumi rain pants. Some sort of rain/warm shoe cover.
1 pair of riding gloves. Maybe some sort of warm layer to wear over top of them or a second pair of warm gloves? I was thinking some cheap winter gloves would work and then I could ditch them along the way.
Neck warmer, arm covers, some sort of warm hat that will fit under the helmet.

Garmin etrex 30
niterider lumina head light, 1 head lamp. (not sure if the niterider is the best headlight choice)
Cell phone
GoPro
spot
Charging device. Need to decide on a power pack or possibly a set up from goal zero with a solar panel.

Sleeping system is something I will test out in the field to decide what I like best.
Some set ups i have now are REI 25 deg down bag with thermarest inflatable pad. Or Big agnes sleep system.
I believe I will take a Big Agnes UL1 tent incase of rain and bugs. I believe a good night sleep is super important to keeping spirits and energy high.

Sounds like the stove is not necessary although i was thinking some warm oatmeal in the mornings would be awesome!

Thoughts on water filters? Necessary or not? If so brand/model?

Of course there are a bunch more small things not on the list yet, ie. tools, spare parts,toiletries,first aid, food, water set up. I would like to avoid wearing a backpack if possible.

Im sure I will have more specific questions later about the route, resupply points stuff like that.

Thanks everyone for all the help!
Sandstorm

The difficult you're suppose to do right away.
The impossible that will take a few days longer.
-Edward keeylocko

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #118 on: December 20, 2015, 11:52:52 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 20, 2015, 11:52:52 AM »

Synthetic fill bag might be a better choice than down.  Wet down = no warmth.

Filter - Sawyer Mini weighs 1.7 ounces.  I have a "bad" water bottle I fill with suspect water and squeeze through the Sawyer into a good water bottle - instant drinkable water.  Others have spliced the mini into a Camelback tube, fill Camelback with suspect water, and suck good water in.

In general:

1) you cannot pack for every possible problem that may arise.

2)  without VERY careful thought, you will pack your fears.

3)  weigh each choice carefully.  Chainbreaker - when was the last time you needed it.  Cone wrench - same thing.  Why 2 spare tubes?  Question every choice.  Make a pile of your "essential" gear and start taking things away as you do your training rides.

Topic Name: 2016 Tour Divide Preparation Reply #119 on: December 20, 2015, 12:17:57 PM
kiwidave

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 20, 2015, 12:17:57 PM »

I had tons of questions these are some things I'm trying to cover now to make sure I have my equipment picked and field tested.

Sandstorm - have a look at the past few years pre-race forum discussions which will answer a bunch of questions. Also, pick up all the Cordillera's from Lulu.com. A set of the maps from ACA has the resupply points on it.

FWIW, I'm a Rookie too aiming for 24 days and am going with lace-up / velcro shoes large enough to wear two socks and allow for my feet to swell. The more sophisticated the lacing system, the more prone it is to failure it seems.

For sleeping:
Katabatic Gear Pallisade 30 quilt. For review: http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Ultralight-Sleeping-Bag-Reviews/Katabatic-Gear-Palisade-30
Zpacks down hood
Thermorest NeoAir Xlite medium woman's (better R rating than the mens)
Exped Pillow UL
Zpacks hexamid solo tent

Water filter: Sawyer Mini

Jacket: I've a Marmot Essence plus will take a Gore Bike AlpX jacket.

Clothing: Kurt Refsnider said to get everything as light as you can, and then add in one base layer.

Check out this blog of Marshal Bird's - his 2014 posts are great for his gear ideas: http://bikedrifting.blogspot.cz/

See you in Banff.
  Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 34
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: