Pages: 1 2 [3]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2016 TD Training Reply #40 on: December 08, 2015, 07:31:55 PM
Couloirman

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2015, 07:31:55 PM »

I just picked up a Tacx Neo (very similar to Kickr but quieter) and have been passing the hours on zwift. I think I like the trainerroad workouts better but zwift has the visual factor to make it fun. I broke my leg 8 months ago so my FTP is still painfully low, but hopefully will be back in time to ride the TD in a couple years.

Would be interesting to hear what the FTP of some of the front runners in the TD/CTR/AZTR are just to be able to give a numerical benchmark for which to strive for with indoor winter trainer miles. Not that FTP is everything, but it is a metric that many people know and one that is easy to train for indoors all winter long.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 04:06:48 PM by Couloirman » Logged

Topic Name: 2016 TD Training Reply #41 on: December 10, 2015, 11:01:57 AM
Rob.b

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2015, 11:01:57 AM »

Back to the training...being in the southern hemisphere I think will make it a tad easier as we have the summer to train through leading into the Tour.
This will mean that the base miles can be more easily achieved I guess than riding in the winter, and there are lots of events going on to target.

I personally am a multisporter so I kayak lots too, this really helps with the upper body and core (which we all know they go hand in hand and need to be in good working order)....especially riding a fully ridged rig. Ive given up the running for now to spend that third of my training specifically on the bike. I mix it up a lot from fast road rides, fast MTB and long loaded rides, early morning river kayaking for strength and intensity and when the swell is up sea kayaking for fun,(don't want to spend all that time on the bike, remember its supposed to be fun!)

* IMG_4276.JPG (142.24 KB, 960x720 - viewed 1174 times.)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 11:15:15 AM by Rob.b » Logged

Topic Name: 2016 TD Training Reply #42 on: January 03, 2016, 11:29:11 AM
SEC

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2016, 11:29:11 AM »

Are there any 12 hour/ endurance races in your area this spring?  I trained for one this fall, then started training for a 50 mile race which I'm going to follow up with a couple more 12 hour races to train for the Divide.  I find these intermediate goals are keeping me engaged.  I love the LW Coaching plans- they are affordable and keep things fresh.  They incorporate a lot of the intervals that folks have mentioned on this thread, and long back to back days.  I did the 12 hour finisher plan this fall which is all about zone 2, and am working off a 50 mile PR plan this spring.  The PR plans also have dynamic weight lightning and lots of ab work.  Good luck training!  Keep it fresh, keep it interesting.

Topic Name: 2016 TD Training Reply #43 on: January 03, 2016, 05:02:43 PM
BillL135

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2016, 05:02:43 PM »

Give this book a look.  I used Marc's methodology to train for 100 mile  Ultramarathons (running).  It will bring you to peak shape if you do it right.  For the 100s I just used the running and I see no reason why a similar approach using the biking wouldn't work for the Divide.  Takes a while to wade through and some of his tables aren't all that clear, but worth the effort.  Big focus on rest coupled with long distance and intensity. He also is a big advocate of doing strength and conditioning.:

The number one predict er of success, IMO, is  training consistency  and coming to the start fresh and healthy.
YMMV

Good luck.

Bill

http://www.amazon.com/Endurance-Athletes-Edge-Marc-Evans/dp/087322938X

Topic Name: 2016 TD Training Reply #44 on: February 13, 2016, 01:43:05 PM
eec

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2016, 01:43:05 PM »

Hey everyone, still pretty new here and am loving all the great info posted throughout these forums.
I'm looking at attempting the TDR in 2017. I'm extremely new to bikepacking; however, I am experienced at backpacking, and have raced road bikes locally for most of my life up until about 5 years ago (I'm 49 yrs. old). In looking at these training tips/schedules/programs, the pace set seems to be really slow, and I know it's probably because I'm coming at it from a racing point of view. I would routinely train at an 18-20 mph pace.

So, a couple observations/questions: you're on a heavier bike, sometimes loaded, sometimes off-pavement, obviously you'll be slower. However, would you say that the effort you're putting in to maintain a 12-14 mph pace would translate to an 18-20 mph pace on a road bike on the road, and vice-versa? If it does, then I can get my training done in a lot less time, at least the physical part of it. I know there's other factors involved (getting used to the gear/load/mental aspect). I just can't envision routinely having a full 8-10 hours, even on a weekend, devoted to riding my bike, with all the other obligations that come with life.

Thanks for all the great info people!

Topic Name: 2016 TD Training Reply #45 on: February 13, 2016, 02:28:11 PM
tanadog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2016, 02:28:11 PM »

I think how you structure your training has a bit to do with your exercise history. I come from a background of mountaineering and hiking. Big days (20hrs) are something I've done since I was a teenager and an 8 hour day feels short to me as long as I manage the intensity.

My focus in my training was initially to get some speed so I got into road riding/ racing with a focus on 100 milers: 4-5 hrs at good intensity. I found that brought my general speed up. Now after a few years at this and a number of multiday bikepacking events under my belt I now think in skill sets: hills, flats, standing, cadence. I mix up length and intensity around this. So a ride might be 2 hrs but would include 4 x 5 mins standing intervals, or 4 hrs on the flat no stopping, constant output, or 6 hrs with 2000m of climbing, or 1 hr at cadence over 100, or 4 x 5min cadence <60 seated on hills. Somewhere in the mix I'll do a big day or a big weekend, but that usually is a check to see how I'm going. I don't like to do this too much as the recovery is too long and I feel it eats into the motivation I need to bank for events (one can only suffer so much!).

To keep it all interesting I ride a my fully mtb, my hardtail and a road bike. I'm lucky that I can ride outdoors year round tho.

Topic Name: 2016 TD Training Reply #46 on: March 30, 2016, 03:33:37 AM
kiwidave

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2016, 03:33:37 AM »

Good read on Josh Kato's 2015 training:

http://www.bikepacking.com/plog/tour-divide-training/
  Pages: 1 2 [3]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: