Pages: 1 [2] 3
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2016 TD Training Reply #20 on: September 22, 2015, 07:22:59 AM
MattL

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2015, 07:22:59 AM »

My best advice regarding training is that you don't need a plan or a "program".  The tips you've found so far are golden.  How you actually organize or what you actually work on is very personal.  What are your weaknesses?

One example I used to find weaknesses: I had a 200 mile route in a national forest I wanted to do as an overnight.  I picked a number of hours I wanted to hit car-to-car, hit the road one weekend, and did it.  I made my target, found out what I was still bad at.  If I hadn't made that target, I would've had a lot more work to do, but either way I knew what hurt, where I was slow, etc.

Finishing ultra-endurance events requires a base level of fitness and a thick head.  Winning them requires a bit more fitness, but mainly it requires avoiding mistakes:  too much time off the bike, or navigational mistakes.  If you want to do well, you need to practice sleep deprivation and eating in the aerobars.

A few more specifics:

If you can do 6 reps of 300w x 3 minutes (with what recovery period?) routinely, my guess is your power is already in pretty good shape, although it depends on what you weigh.

You'll lose muscle mass.  Any extra muscle mass you can gain anywhere, but especially on your upper body, is a good investment.  Pull-ups, presses, bench presses, kettlebell exercises.

Have a fitness plan for when you finish.  You will feel so weird and depleted, it is very easy to come back, get on the couch, and gain serious pounds.  Since you've already lost muscle, you'll end up a bit of a flabby mess.

I finished the 2013 TD.  I did the whole damn thing,
excluding the 2013 detours, in good style and—as
far as I know—totally in accordance with the rules.

Topic Name: 2016 TD Training Reply #21 on: October 16, 2015, 05:20:01 AM
vmjim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2015, 05:20:01 AM »

I'm a fan and follower of several training routines from James Wilson at MTB Strength Training.  His routines are mountain bike focused and has great mobility and strength training routines for bikers.  
My best advice is to learn how to avoid injuries and what to do to head off any developing repetitive motion injuries you'll feel on the TD.  Coach Wilson will help you with that knowledge.

Topic Name: 2016 TD Training Reply #22 on: October 16, 2015, 09:25:37 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2015, 09:25:37 PM »

You know, the winter before my first TD, I plastered myself onto the trainer all winter, and I think I tried to put in at least 1600 miles of riding (mostly road) in March.

If I was to do things differently, I would highlight the idea of consistency. Get out riding almost every day, and only ride at an intensity where you can still ride almost every day. Once you've built up a base (you've got months to work on that!), you can start doing your specific training. For the TD, that's almost not needed. Almost.

Topic Name: 2016 TD Training Reply #23 on: October 26, 2015, 02:02:03 PM
gotchile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2015, 02:02:03 PM »

Eat like a teenager.  My TD grocery shopping was like this - Go into a Cstore, hit the ice cream bar freezer, take the frozen treat out of the package, place it on the counter, tell the clerk that you were making a pile, eat the ice cream.  Buy 2-3 Red Bulls, a Pepsi, Fritos, honey bun, some fresh fruit if possible.  Small individual packages of mixed fruit in juice was good.  Paydays, jerky was always good and maybe a frozen burrito for supper.   Your body needs to be able to process these delicacies.

http://www.bucketride.bike
#TD15
Pain is temporary, quitting is forever

Topic Name: 2016 TD Training Reply #24 on: November 05, 2015, 03:32:22 PM
Flinch

grandpasbikelife.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2015, 03:32:22 PM »

FWIY

I started training in January from a base of 50 miles/week. My goal was a sub 25 day ride, averaging 107 miles/day en route. I had toured half the route in 2013 at 63 miles/day average. Most training was with my mtn bike on paved roads, at elevations from 4,500 to 6,500 feet. Last two months I rode with partially to fully packed gear. My average elevation gain per 'average' ride was about 2000'. I was 64 years young during the training. I lost a targeted 20 pounds during training. Note the weekly increase in mileage targets (about 8-9%). Here's the gory details:

Weekly
Miles   Hrs   Ride1   Ride2   Ride3   Ride4   Ride5 <- up to 5 rides per week
42   3.0   15   27            
67   5.1   42   25            
73   5.4   18   27   28         
88   6.4   22   42   24         
68   5.2   35   34            
80   5.5   28   42   10         
93   7.0   30   25   39         
106   7.6   29   29   25   23      
95   7.2   62   33            
133   10.2   33   31   15   55      
114   8.1   37   9   34   35      
150   11.4   35   42   74         
110   7.9   31   10   33   37      
176   13.6   47   33   33   62      
177   13.3   53   42   42   40      
153   11.5   49   38   34   33      
212   16.5   90   50   44   27      
220   16.9   60   50   62   48      
159   11.9   45   23   51   41      
262   19.8   71   56   53   52   31   
213   16.9   10   80   53   70      
164   12.8   57   56   52         
176   9.0   34   34   57      52

Total   Total   Since Jan:      Avg:   132 miles/week
3131   232   Last 2 mos:      Avg:   194 miles/week
      Last 1 mo:      Avg:   220 miles/week

Notable notes: Full disclosure, I scratched in Silverthorne. During the ride most days I felt physically strong. Max mileages were a couple three 130 mile days. Climbing was w-a-y easier this year than in 2013. Wayyyyy. Sleep issues and hand nerve damage done did me in.

From all the reading I've done on ultras, I agree with posters that no one (book) has a real clue. Here's what was important to me (remember, my target was modest and consider age in there):

- Trained using 'rest' weeks here and there.
- Went to gym and weight lifted 1-2 times/week <-- Don't skimp on the Gym, you'll need it (I chanted 'glad I lifted, glad I lifted' all way up connector)!!
- Spin classes twice/week. Absolutely essential, learned faster cadence (important for more 'mature' riders), and is substitute for intervals.
- Should have compressed training into 4 or so fewer weeks as I peaked and extended taper for 2 weeks
- Avoid junk miles, those less than 20 miles per ride or so.
- No need to ride long miles! Note my max ride. From all physio-effects I've researched, anything longer than 80-90 miles is not that beneficial.
- I tried long slower rides, no luck, I have one training pace, and that's at, well, training pace. I think it helped mentally during race (race was generally a bit slower pace)
- As one third of race is up hills, you will spend the majority of riding time on hills. Seek them out and ride more than you think you need to.
- Keep an organized training plan! Be flexible, but do the 'bookwork'. Helps to chart progress and plan ahead.

During the race I rode many days longer distance than my previous max distance, and it seemed 'normal' to do so after a while, so you'll do well too.
I had gear pretty much nailed down, so didn't feel need to camp out and test.
This was the first bike race I've ever entered. I have 20+ years mountain biking though, and 45 years casual road.
Oh, and make sure bike is in top shape before race - I didn't and it got me big time (replaced drivetrain and bracket during race)

Hope your training goes well!
Flinch

And once the Race is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the Race is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the Race, you won't be the same person who rode in. That's what the Race is all about.

Topic Name: 2016 TD Training Reply #25 on: November 06, 2015, 07:45:21 AM
rick miller

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2015, 07:45:21 AM »

...and hand nerve damage done did me in.

How are the hands doing?  Any advice?  I usually have ulner nerve damage that resuts in numbness for up to 6 months after long rides; have tried everything I can think of without much luck.

Topic Name: 2016 TD Training Reply #26 on: November 06, 2015, 08:28:44 AM
Flinch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2015, 08:28:44 AM »

Left hand much better - still some tingling. Right hand falls asleep at night, last two fingers still numb but getting better. Still some grip weakness.

I've tried everything I can think of without much success. Best I can say is to get a bike fit, more upright riding posture.

One thing I think makes it worse are these gel padded gloves. They put the pads right where the nerves run, causing points of pressure. I have better luck with unpadded gloves. I'm going to try Specialized gloves next, the kind that had just the palm pad, not pads over the nerves.

Good luck

And once the Race is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the Race is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the Race, you won't be the same person who rode in. That's what the Race is all about.

Topic Name: 2016 TD Training Reply #27 on: November 06, 2015, 08:40:28 AM
rick miller

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2015, 08:40:28 AM »

Thanks, working on upright posture (35 degree stem/ riser bars).  Also will try to spend as much time as possible on aeros.  Bar tape on Ergon grips seems to help too, instead of padded gloves.

Topic Name: 2016 TD Training Reply #28 on: November 06, 2015, 09:24:19 AM
Flinch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2015, 09:24:19 AM »

Yah, ditto aero bars - I rode with stubby versions, now have full tilt bars - shoulda had them in race. Ergon grips: I've used them for 3 years now, and not convinced they do good for me. During the race I wrapped them with the grey foam pipe insulation (got at Home Depot) and this helped until the foam collapsed after a few days.

Forgot to mention - I used swept back bars this year, I believe they are the 'Maid' On-one copies. Helps with upright stance. Also changed from front shock to rigid carbon fork and that may have not been wise, hands-wise (more vibration and shock).

Topic Name: 2016 TD Training Reply #29 on: November 30, 2015, 02:12:40 PM
kiwidave

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2015, 02:12:40 PM »

Winter season is coming and the trainer will need to be broken out soon, which I'm not enthused about.

Has anyone tried throwing in running a couple of days a week? It's a quick way to get the cardio up and I hope will help with preventing any Achilles problems.

How about spinning classes? I've 90 mins or double 50 mins available.

Topic Name: 2016 TD Training Reply #30 on: November 30, 2015, 03:57:29 PM
Flinch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2015, 03:57:29 PM »

Dave
Spinning was (and still is) an important part of my training. I consider it a must, as it mimics interval training and is structured, therefore harder to ignore :>

Based on my fudge factors, I consider an hour of spinning equivalent to 15-18 miles of mountain bike rides on my hilly training course. Anecdotal Evidence: In 2013 I stopped going to spin classes a few months before TD & within a few weeks I could feel that my times and hill climbing were getting worse. Went back to spinning and a couple weeks later could tell the positive difference.

Best of luck

Glen

Topic Name: 2016 TD Training Reply #31 on: November 30, 2015, 07:26:07 PM
joefox

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2015, 07:26:07 PM »

My best advice regarding training is that you don't need a plan or a "program".  The tips you've found so far are golden.  How you actually organize or what you actually work on is very personal.  What are your weaknesses?

One example I used to find weaknesses: I had a 200 mile route in a national forest I wanted to do as an overnight.  I picked a number of hours I wanted to hit car-to-car, hit the road one weekend, and did it.  I made my target, found out what I was still bad at.  If I hadn't made that target, I would've had a lot more work to do, but either way I knew what hurt, where I was slow, etc.

Finishing ultra-endurance events requires a base level of fitness and a thick head.  Winning them requires a bit more fitness, but mainly it requires avoiding mistakes:  too much time off the bike, or navigational mistakes.  If you want to do well, you need to practice sleep deprivation and eating in the aerobars.

A few more specifics:

If you can do 6 reps of 300w x 3 minutes (with what recovery period?) routinely, my guess is your power is already in pretty good shape, although it depends on what you weigh.

You'll lose muscle mass.  Any extra muscle mass you can gain anywhere, but especially on your upper body, is a good investment.  Pull-ups, presses, bench presses, kettlebell exercises.

Have a fitness plan for when you finish.  You will feel so weird and depleted, it is very easy to come back, get on the couch, and gain serious pounds.  Since you've already lost muscle, you'll end up a bit of a flabby mess.

I would echo Matt's advice for sure. I was a rookie going into last year, and still consider myself a rookie on the amount of knowledge I am yet to gain.
I rode. As much as I could. Had some goals and baselines for weekly mileage, but I don't use a structured plan. Didn't ignore the early season races that I enjoy doing...racing makes training fun! But tried to ride home from them and rode tired a lot. Sleep deprivation caught up to me a couple times on the divide, but riding tired during the spring paid off.
Being a bigger guy 6'3" 210 (and not really training for anything specific ever) I did do a decent amount of push-ups. They work a big part of your core, back (upper and lower) shoulders, and anything that will fatigue from doing things you're not used to doing; dragging, pushing, climbing, etc. I spent the entire month of may eating, riding, eating.
I'm a flat lander as well, so from day 1 when those climbs hit, I had to use my extra strength to keep up.
I stretched most nights, even just for a minute, before climbing into my bivy.
Also...have that plan for after you finish. Whether racing or just riding it, your body will take a major hit. Relax, recover, but try to stay active. I came home at 197, and by September 1 I was back up to 212. When I hit 218, the most I've ever weighed, a week ago (damn turkey) I figure it's time to start thinking about next year.
For now, I'm going to ride the rollers and finish off this hot chocolate.

Topic Name: 2016 TD Training Reply #32 on: November 30, 2015, 07:28:53 PM
kato

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2015, 07:28:53 PM »

Winter season is coming and the trainer will need to be broken out soon, which I'm not enthused about.

Has anyone tried throwing in running a couple of days a week? It's a quick way to get the cardio up and I hope will help with preventing any Achilles problems.

How about spinning classes? I've 90 mins or double 50 mins available.

I ran 1-2 times a week in my 2015 prep.  Short runs, 3-7 miles.  This in combination with A LOT of pushing my fatbike up snowy hills in the winter months was quite helpful.  I felt my joints and tendons/ligaments were better off because of it.  I feel it's important to mix it up a bit to condition various parts of the body that riding alone just won't do.  After my crash in the TD last year my hamstring and Achilles are a bit touchy.  I notice them more if I haven't been running at all and then try for a big hard ride.  So for me, running remains important to keep things happy.
I second Glen's use of spinning.  Well actually just spinning my legs off.  I use the trainer and turn a cadence of 100-150 for an hour.  As Glen mentioned I also feel it helps most in regards to my climbing, my weakest point on the bike.
Hope you find a balance that will carry you through the dark of winter!

It's not how far you go, it's how go you far.

http://faroutwanderings.blogspot.com

Topic Name: 2016 TD Training Reply #33 on: November 30, 2015, 07:47:37 PM
joefox

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2015, 07:47:37 PM »

I too run a bit, mostly in the off season - November - February. Usually 2-3 times a week for about 45 minutes. Does seem to help work joints and tendons and really balances the muscles out.
Lots of time on the rollers when the days are extra nasty. I don't mind riding outside in any condition, but with 4 kids, and working 7 days, sometimes 45 minutes on the rollers is all I can get.
High cadence as well! Seems to keep my legs fresh, but translates to lighter climbing. As light as I can be at least!
For me, it's always been volume of numbers of rides - about 650/year since I commute to work nearly every day. I'm not able to get in huge mileage too many days, but the continuous repetition seems to work and will hopefully pay off.

Topic Name: 2016 TD Training Reply #34 on: November 30, 2015, 09:35:38 PM
Ailuropoda

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2015, 09:35:38 PM »

I am a bike packing amateur by comparison to a lot of people here.  I got the bug to ride long distances a year ago and decided to race the Tour Divide recently.

I started training in earnest in June and have been steadily building up mileage.   I have a full-time job but I work nights so I can generally ride during the day.

Still, time is always limited and and on work days I generally only have time for forty or fifty mile rides.

When I'm off I try to do longer rides.  I had three 80-mile rides in November, two of them back-to-back, and I suffered no ill-effects.

From a slow start, I'm putting in about 800 miles a month at most.  Probably not enough but that's all I have time for.    I also do pull-ups, pushups, and dips and have recently started working on my abs and core.

I have lost about 25 pounds and am going to try to lose 20 more by May.

I'm used to camping so that shouldn't be a problem.  I'm concerned about the altitude of the race as I live in Louisiana and I'm at about 150 feet above sea level.

Additionally, while I hit every hill I can, we have no mountains and I'm lucky in a forty mile ride to get 2000 feet of total ascent.  The longest hill we have around here is only about a half mile long.  I am trying to stick to dirt and gravel of which we have an ample supply.

I'm also worried about the durability of my bike.  I went with heavier components where it counts (rear hub, bottom bracket) and they seem to be holding up fine.

I think I might be able to do a hundred or more miles a day if I don't spaz out.   It seems like it would be different if you can just get up and ride without worrying about going to work, running errands, and the other necessary stuff in life that eats up the day.

Topic Name: 2016 TD Training Reply #35 on: December 01, 2015, 03:46:03 PM
sfuller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2015, 03:46:03 PM »

I'm concerned about the altitude of the race as I live in Louisiana and I'm at about 150 feet above sea level.

I'm from central Iowa (900 ft above sea level), and I had no noticeable issues with the altitude. By the time I hit the really high stuff in CO, there had been plenty of time to get used to the air, and my legs were so tired that it was impossible to put any stress on my cardiovascular system anyway. Cheesy

From a distance standpoint, in the 18 months before the race, I had maybe 3 miles of 1000 miles or more. My monthly mileages were in the 650 - 800 mile range. I concentrated more on hours in the saddle vs monthly mileage.

Topic Name: 2016 TD Training Reply #36 on: December 01, 2015, 06:16:25 PM
Ailuropoda

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2015, 06:16:25 PM »

I'm from central Iowa (900 ft above sea level), and I had no noticeable issues with the altitude. By the time I hit the really high stuff in CO, there had been plenty of time to get used to the air, and my legs were so tired that it was impossible to put any stress on my cardiovascular system anyway. Cheesy

From a distance standpoint, in the 18 months before the race, I had maybe 3 miles of 1000 miles or more. My monthly mileages were in the 650 - 800 mile range. I concentrated more on hours in the saddle vs monthly mileage.

Thanks.  If I may ask, I'm thinking of bringing a lightweight pair of insulated, waterproof hiking boots to wear if it looks like there's going to be a lot of hike a bike in mud, snow, etc.   I generally ride clipped in but am thinking of double-side pedals in case I need to switch to flats occasionally. 

Does anybody do that?  Actually my riding shoes are Shimano SPDs and they are just like regular hiking shoes when off the bike.   

I am concerned about weight.   I fear the cold, however.   I'm thinking of bringing some extra gear to ward of hypothermia. 

Topic Name: 2016 TD Training Reply #37 on: December 02, 2015, 06:32:34 AM
sfuller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2015, 06:32:34 AM »

Thanks.  If I may ask, I'm thinking of bringing a lightweight pair of insulated, waterproof hiking boots to wear if it looks like there's going to be a lot of hike a bike in mud, snow, etc.   I generally ride clipped in but am thinking of double-side pedals in case I need to switch to flats occasionally.

We had good weather this year, so it's hard for me to give solid advice. No snow on the course and very little mud. On the days that we did have wet, cold or a creek crossing, I used a pair of knee high waterproof wading socks and waterproof gloves to keep my extremities warm. I used them more to keep warm than I did to keep water out. The ones I bought used Dexshield as the waterproof barrier, and they worked well (for me).

Topic Name: 2016 TD Training Reply #38 on: December 02, 2015, 08:16:21 AM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2015, 08:16:21 AM »

Depending on the weather, boots may be overkill. Hike-a-bike would be minimal (hopefully). Perhaps find a pair of shoes that have a little give and are sized a bit large to allow you to put on a bulkier pair of wool socks (and bring an extra pair). On my day-long snow traverses (bad year) I would then wrap my foot in a plastic bag, and then wrap packing tape around that to get a little waterproofness for really bad traverses in snow. Also consider trail running, "gaitors" to stop some of the splashdown into your shoes.

This may be one of those, "can't correctly prepare for everything" type of situations, where bringing all the proper gear for a speed run just isn't realistic because bulk + weight.

As always, experiment well before hand and see if whatever system you devise works. Feet issues - especially achilles issues are important to prevent. My feet some to absorb such absurd abuse that I've outlined above.

Topic Name: 2016 TD Training Reply #39 on: December 06, 2015, 06:34:39 PM
Snowbd2u

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2015, 06:34:39 PM »

Grab your bike, like now. Load it with everything you think you need. Go for a few rides for a week or so. Evaluate how that feels and what you can do without. Repeat, until you are satisfied with your setup. Unless you absolutely have too, stay off the trainers. I Rode in rain, snow, and wind all winter long, with my bike packed, to train. It helped me mentally and physically dealing with the 2014 TD. 

Best advice for the hike a bike difficulties. My personal experience was to pick my first hard hill of the morning, get off my bike, and stretch my Achilles a few times while walking a few hundred yards. For me, that helped a ton. I wasn't stretching as soon as I woke up, only after a few miles, so my legs were somewhat warmed up.

Feet.... I used two pair of mid/light weight merino wool socks. Allowed a pair to dry out. Plus a pair of waterproof sealskin socks. My feet were completely fine. Slipped the sealskins over the other socks in hard rain/cold. Once again, this was for 2014, cold and wet. Felt fine with that set up.

http://vabikepacker.blogspot.com/

You only have one life to live, what are you going to do with it

Josh
  Pages: 1 [2] 3
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: