Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2016 CTR Planning on: October 21, 2015, 11:08:46 AM
bsavery

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2015, 11:08:46 AM »

Never too early right?  Ok, maybe a little early.  Anyway thought I'd start the thread. 

I'm planning on doing CTR 2016, psyched to do the "right" direction Wink ! I'm a rookie for the race, but thru-rode a few years ago with friends.  Also some other bikepacking experience, and of course the requisite marathon xc racing. 

One thought I wanted to throw out there is the idea of doing a "self supported stage race" similar to what the coconino 250 did this year:
http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/ultra-racing/coco-250/40/
What all the fast guys do on minimal sleep is incredible but for me, I'd like to race but get decent sleep, and maybe even have an occasional buddy to talk about the ride at the end of the day.  Doing the BCBR this year, while not self supported was a great experience. 

Anyone else interested in the idea?  Downsides could be trail congestion and organizing it, but I think with a 7-8 day stage schedule you could still push most riders who aren't going for the record. 

Topic Name: 2016 CTR Planning Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 12:51:32 PM
asatrur

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 12:51:32 PM »

Yeah, my big challenge in this race is getting the time off, so a 5-9 day race that starts on a Sat morning and goes for a week and 2 weekend if needed would be ideal.

Topic Name: 2016 CTR Planning Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 01:17:57 PM
bsavery

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 01:17:57 PM »

Even 5-9 days are tough days.  Here's a thought for 8 day stage schedule which would allow a saturday-saturday schedule with a buffer day:

Start      
Day 1   Goose Creek Campground                           54.8
Day 2   Kenosha Pass Campground                           57.9
Day 3   Copper                                                   52.6
Day 4   Buena Vista hugh meadows Campground     80.7
Day 5   Luder Creek Campground                           86
Day 6   outside lake city                                           69
Day 7   Outside Silverton - little molas campground   50
Day 8   Durango                                                   72.4

Tried to remember the decent camping sites from last time... and kept the first days a bit shorter (they still have a ton of elevation).  Would be willing to organize timing and camping spots if others are interested.

Topic Name: 2016 CTR Planning Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 01:19:36 PM
asatrur

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 01:19:36 PM »

I would be willing to have a go at this next year. I get 3 weeks PO, so 1 for this is not bad family wise.

Topic Name: 2016 CTR Planning Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 08:31:52 AM
B_Bock

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 08:31:52 AM »

Anyone have an idea what the start date might be?

Topic Name: 2016 CTR Planning Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 08:09:52 PM
Trhoppe

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 08:09:52 PM »

I'm in for 2016 as well! I'm planning on doing the race start whatever day it is, but I'm going Durango to Denver regardless of which direction the actual "race" goes. I'm planning on 8 days and the whole Sat-Sat like you guys talked about above.

Thinking focused training will start at the beginning of April to give me ~12 weeks

Topic Name: 2016 CTR Planning Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 02:37:00 PM
JReeves

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 02:37:00 PM »

After getting my butt kicked by those sleep deprived lunatics(including you Blake! haha), The format of something like this definitely appeals to me.  I don't know that I've got what it takes to be the guy that doesn't pack a sleeping bag, and just rides all through the night for consecutive days.  The logistics of making the timing functionally accurate would be tough, but I'm sure doable with some work.  I.E. Each rider being responsible for gps tracking device, as well as written documentation of time in and out of "safe zones". 

At first when I looked at your mock 8 day schedule, I wasn't sold as the distances seemed short to start, which is inevitably when you feel the best.  But I like the idea of having six or seven "safe zones" where time is not factored in.  This would allow you to bypass the first one, or skip one along the way if you were feeling good to go for a 100 mile day.   

After pulling out halfway through in 2012, and vowing to never again attempt the Colorado Trail Push... The memories are softening, and Colorado is calling again... ha!

Topic Name: 2016 CTR Planning Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 02:59:17 PM
bsavery

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 02:59:17 PM »

8 Days was a thought.  The mileage doesn't really belie the elevation... Wink  But 7 Days would be doable too, split the first three days into two. 

Couple different ways to compile times, Easiest would probably be everyone writing down on their own time in and out and collecting them at the end. 

Topic Name: 2016 CTR Planning Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 09:45:15 AM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 09:45:15 AM »

This is a different race that you guys are talking about running than the CTR. Perhaps a separate thread if you really want to do the stage stop thing?

I myself am beginning to hear the soft, soft whispers of the CTR demons (or angels?) in the back of my head again. 'Come back Nick, come back...one more try, third time's the charm'. Dangerous murmurings those are (as Yoda would say it)!

Topic Name: 2016 CTR Planning Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 06:26:21 PM
J_wowzer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 06:26:21 PM »

Yes pleases! A different thread is definitely warranted. The excitement is much too great when the "CTR Planning" thread pops up at the top.

Topic Name: 2016 CTR Planning Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 05:26:36 AM
Yogi the Barry

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 05:26:36 AM »

@Woodland,
Those aren't demons you're hearing, they are twisted friends of encouragement. Here's another 'third time's a charm' cohort chiming in and twisting your arm. 2016 will be the classic direction with a much more climatic ending.
-Barry
PS - I'm referring to the CTR, not the CTT [tour] and not the CTSR [stage race].
This is a different race that you guys are talking about running than the CTR. Perhaps a separate thread if you really want to do the stage stop thing?
I myself am beginning to hear the soft, soft whispers of the CTR demons (or angels?) in the back of my head again. 'Come back Nick, come back...one more try, third time's the charm'. Dangerous murmurings those are (as Yoda would say it)!

Topic Name: 2016 CTR Planning Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 07:36:51 AM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 07:36:51 AM »

CTR as a stage race is a lame idea. There is no "sleeping" class? I for one get really tired of racers making negative comments about other racers wanting to ride all night or whatever. Man up. I would be rich if I had a dollar for every time someone talked shit to me about night riding in the races.
Its so lame to hear a racer say he is not riding at night so he can "see" all the terrain during the day. Cop out. Scared to compete with others so make excuses about how the level playing field doesnt work for you.

Here is a thought: Complete the race first. Then see if you want to organize another race that fits your personal strengths and weaknesses. I can do that too. I have completed this race six times. My concept is CTRE- an enduro race over the whole 550 mile route. Timed descents only. Winner has lowest aggregate DH times. I would put myself as the early favorite, but if Matt Schiff or Joey Ernst or Tanner Morgan enter we will just add a penalty for high post downhilling sans droppers. That way the race is just for weekend warrior shredders who smoke too much weed, ride heavy bikes and drink beer at the top of each hill. Smiley

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: 2016 CTR Planning Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 12:28:01 PM
Buttermilk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 12:28:01 PM »

don't post much, but to this I must say something.

Race the CTR (as is) the best you can.
don't dumb it down.
the Coco format is sweet and perfect for it  but leave it in Arizona. Many strong men and women have toed the line to test themselves against this masterpiece of trail, you do the same.

not everything has to be divided into neat little niches so you feel good.
leave awesome as awesome and rise up.

dream4est (and many others) are a good example of rising up. thanks all for your inspiration!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 12:33:10 PM by Buttermilk » Logged

Up & down on dirt & snow
I've got all my eggs in one basket

Topic Name: 2016 CTR Planning Reply #13 on: November 10, 2015, 08:23:09 PM
B_Bock

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2015, 08:23:09 PM »

I want to race this route in the traditional format. If I can't stay awake I'll sleep. If I can push through the night, then I'll push through the night. Let's put the stage race discussion to rest. I look forward to a 2016 race prep discussion over the coming months. If you want a stage race then do another race. Leave the CTR as it is.
BTW love the Coconino!

Topic Name: 2016 CTR Planning Reply #14 on: November 11, 2015, 06:57:22 AM
fotooutdoors

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2015, 06:57:22 AM »

I don't get the negativity of wanting to race the same route in a different format. I agree that it is a different race, though. Why is it dumbing down the ct to do a stage race, but not the Coconino?

Typed on my phone. Pardon the autocorrect.

Topic Name: 2016 CTR Planning Reply #15 on: November 11, 2015, 08:25:31 AM
ec_duz_it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2015, 08:25:31 AM »

I have been meaning to do this one for many years now, but excuses and life in general keep getting in the way. I figure if I say I am in now, that I will probably show up in 2016.  So I am in. I will probably go the opposite way of everyone else though so I can run into more folks along the way rather than just riding the the back of the pack. Looking forward to it.  Training starts this weekend for me!  
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 08:32:20 AM by erincarr19 » Logged

Topic Name: 2016 CTR Planning Reply #16 on: November 11, 2015, 08:45:13 AM
Yogi the Barry

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2015, 08:45:13 AM »

Re: Why the negative push-back to a CT stage race format?
I think the issue people are having is that THIS thread is for the CTR and nothing else. Not a CT tour, stage race, cherry-picked segments only, have my friends bring me food, yada, yada version. Sure, many will be racing at different speeds and with different strategies. Some choose not to sleep. Some have to sleep. Their times will differ by days, but everyone is racing the same format of being a total elapsed time event, not as a stage event.
So, the logical thing to do is to start a new thread topic for any version of doing the CT which doesn't fit the classic definition and rules of the CTR. Simple.
I don't get the negativity of wanting to race the same route in a different format. I agree that it is a different race, though. Why is it dumbing down the ct to do a stage race, but not the Coconino?

Typed on my phone. Pardon the autocorrect.

Topic Name: 2016 CTR Planning Reply #17 on: November 11, 2015, 08:50:44 AM
bsavery

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2015, 08:50:44 AM »

I'll start a new thread for stage related discussion.  Consider the issue closed. 

Now who's in for the CTR race (old school way).

Topic Name: 2016 CTR Planning Reply #18 on: November 11, 2015, 03:17:05 PM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2015, 03:17:05 PM »

@Woodland,
Those aren't demons you're hearing, they are twisted friends of encouragement. Here's another 'third time's a charm' cohort chiming in and twisting your arm.

Right on, Barry. The scale is now tipping...

Topic Name: 2016 CTR Planning Reply #19 on: November 11, 2015, 03:30:37 PM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2015, 03:30:37 PM »

Its so lame to hear a racer say he is not riding at night so he can "see" all the terrain during the day.

Pretty sure that riding through a night in these races is one of those experiences that just can't be missed.

In a moment of raw, stripped down emotions, I likened the experience (to myself, of course) to walking through a tunnel that gets narrower toward the end. It's easy at first as it gets dark, adrenaline is flowing, your amped to have ridden all day and are now STILL riding, you've switched over to night mode, maybe it's clear, and a full moon...but around 1am or so, it starts getting hard, you have a lot of darkness left and by 3-4am the eyes are getting heavy, body is yelling to stop moving, but you keep pushing through that narrow part of the tunnel. And then...you see the sky brightening just a tiny bit and you realized that you've made it...you've squeezed out the narrow end of that tunnel into a new day. Weird what you come up with when you are stripped down to the core, isn't it.  icon_biggrin
  Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: