Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 50
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #740 on: May 22, 2015, 03:27:06 PM
flyboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #740 on: May 22, 2015, 03:27:06 PM »

Hello All
I am wondering what base map is being used for TD15
Scott has the GDMBR 2013 map on topo fusion ?
Is this map still relevant and the one to use or are there others out there which are more relevant.
cheers and thanks
simon
Following on from Simon's question, has anyone tried running the Garmin USA roadmapset on a micro sd with the TD .gpx loaded as well? Can the Etrex process/handle the two?

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #741 on: May 22, 2015, 06:03:07 PM
dwengs

View Profile
« Reply #741 on: May 22, 2015, 06:03:07 PM »

Someone posted a way to maximize batteries in Garmin etrex 30, having difficulty locating the post, anyone have tips or remember the post.  Thanks. 

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #742 on: May 22, 2015, 06:55:28 PM
Flinch

grandpasbikelife.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #742 on: May 22, 2015, 06:55:28 PM »

Odd question, updating my que sheets:

On Map 2B, mile 103.4 ACA note says 'Outhouse on right'. I saw it in 2013, but didn't stop. Any idea what these are for (insert scatalogical humor here), campsite, hunting access, or??

Gracias

And once the Race is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the Race is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the Race, you won't be the same person who rode in. That's what the Race is all about.

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #743 on: May 23, 2015, 07:31:54 AM
MDSeaburg

View Profile
« Reply #743 on: May 23, 2015, 07:31:54 AM »

Flyboy, I have the eTrex 30 and the North America chip and yes the Tour Divide gps track works fine on that.

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #744 on: May 23, 2015, 10:05:06 AM
tuhduhvuh

View Profile
« Reply #744 on: May 23, 2015, 10:05:06 AM »

Hi everyone, hope things are going well as you close in on your start...

I probably asked this last year... and maybe this is "secret" info that veterans don't want to share...

But I'll ask anyway.

Working my way along the track and making some notes...  almost to Antelope Wells... but it won't be this easy on the bike....!

The stretch from Salida to Del Norte seems really long with not much in between.
Any "intel" on the small town of Sargents?  Map indicates "full services",   reading a few blogs I get "small store"....  Is this a good re-supply stop or not?
(if anyone wants to share)

Further along the small town of La Garita is just 0.8 miles off route.  Looks really small.... but the map indicates restaurant, grocery, service station
Again,  anyone with knowledge of that being a good re-supply stop?

I am  trying to do my own research and not looking for shortcuts,  but the best source of information IS this community...

Tom
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 10:19:55 AM by tuhduhvuh » Logged

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #745 on: May 23, 2015, 10:08:42 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #745 on: May 23, 2015, 10:08:42 AM »

Haven't been to Sargents myself, but the Tomichi Creek Trading Post is legendary.

http://www.tomichicreektradingpost.com/

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #746 on: May 23, 2015, 10:18:01 AM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #746 on: May 23, 2015, 10:18:01 AM »

Things def. get dryer after I'd say Como. Stock up on water for South Park, especially if the wind is blowing the wrong way, not much ground water out there, but Hartsel is between Como and Salida and has a restaurant and a gas station.

Certainly make sure to stock up in Salida, it's got everything you could possibly need, including bike shops galore - the last great one on route. Water is available on top of the pass, but Sargents is also just down the hill.

Sargents is basically a gas station with a small restaurant and cabins/rv spaces in the back. If it's open, not a bad place to top out your food. Never felt the need to stop in La Garita - Del Norte isn't too far away and has a few different restaurants and places to buy food.

After Del Norte things gets thin on the entire route. Certainly water near Indiana Pass, but CO is nothing compared to NM, where both water and resup. gets quite a bit more spaced out. Do go to Bode's - a total oasis.  

There's so much snow up high in Colorado, I can't see things being super dry this year - or even super hot. There's going to be groundwater everywhere.

By the end of CO, you're going to have your resup ritual down pretty pat - it'll be no big deal. Just make sure your bike is in good condition for the rough NM roads.

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #747 on: May 23, 2015, 10:29:15 AM
tuhduhvuh

View Profile
« Reply #747 on: May 23, 2015, 10:29:15 AM »

Wow, thanks for that quick info!  Really helpful!

As a general comment from a rookie,  this kind of anecdotal info from experienced riders is really useful and certainly helps with planning.

I am not trying to take away from the "adventure" part of the race, but I know it's an accomplishment just to finish.

Little nuggets like this are golden....

Tom

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #748 on: May 23, 2015, 10:41:18 AM
THE LONG RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #748 on: May 23, 2015, 10:41:18 AM »

Enjoy it!

For much of the route, there's almost TOO many resup. points, and it can be a cause of slowdown - milling about in towns, looking for that perfect snack! Get in, get out, get back on the route! Also! Not sure Como Depot is open this year, so Breck would be your last resup. until Hartsel, which I don't think is a 24 hour town (gas station closes @10:30pm?). Soak up Salida, because there's no more bike-friendly town anywhere on the route (tie with SB, really)!

This may also be a good time to remind everyone to be especially nice to the bike mechanics that are getting you fixed up as quickly as they can, most especially since you're coming in at the busiest time of their year. Please express your gratitude to these hardworking folks!

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #749 on: May 23, 2015, 10:46:44 AM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #749 on: May 23, 2015, 10:46:44 AM »

I know I've gotten calls from LaGarita but I also recall it being closed for some. Como I do believe is closed. I know it was last year. But keep in mind I know what I know from racer calls. So good info from
TLR! Hope to hear from you, Tom!

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #750 on: May 23, 2015, 10:56:02 AM
tuhduhvuh

View Profile
« Reply #750 on: May 23, 2015, 10:56:02 AM »

I know I've gotten calls from LaGarita but I also recall it being closed for some. Como I do believe is closed. I know it was last year. But keep in mind I know what I know from racer calls. So good info from
TLR! Hope to hear from you, Tom!

I actually should have a working phone this year...  my wife insisted!   I am sure that will help with some emotional support!

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #751 on: May 23, 2015, 10:58:17 AM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #751 on: May 23, 2015, 10:58:17 AM »

I actually should have a working phone this year...  my wife insisted!   I am sure that will help with some emotional support!

Cool! Yeah, pay phones are not just scarce but sometimes don't work for some reason when calling my TFN. Maybe a toll-free issue.

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #752 on: May 23, 2015, 11:24:51 AM
ElijahGOFAR

View Profile
« Reply #752 on: May 23, 2015, 11:24:51 AM »

Has anyone been thinking heavily about nutrition? It's understood that gas station food is a lot of the norm, but what about feasting on the foods best for a race pace, and their availability en route. I read a blog that observed how much better he rode and felt after having a real meal of pasta proteins and veggies. The balance might be to expend a little more time eating the best energy producing foods as opposed to crazy processed foods. Has anyone carried pasta for any distances on this race? Has anyone experimented with cooking pasta or other foods geared for a race pace?

The only Zen you find at the tops of mountains, is the Zen you take to the tops of mountains.

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #753 on: May 23, 2015, 11:26:36 AM
hruss

View Profile
« Reply #753 on: May 23, 2015, 11:26:36 AM »

The last couple of years the nice lady at La Garita has opened her store, even on Sundays. It is only 20 are so miles on to Del Norte, but you could be pretty hot and dry at this time and La Garita is only a half mile off route.

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #754 on: May 23, 2015, 12:24:26 PM
cobbnat

View Profile
« Reply #754 on: May 23, 2015, 12:24:26 PM »

Has anyone been thinking heavily about nutrition?

Race nutrition is a big, and interesting topic. You may have heard Billy Rice on MTBcast telling us that he is carb-free this year, and extolling the energy virtues of a stick of butter. Certainly going too heavy on carbohydrate is really a bad idea - last year I saw a rider who had swollen up like a football from lack of protein. My go-to one-pot meal when camping is a package of mashed potato flakes, add tuna (available in foil pkg) or chicken, cheese, pour olive oil over it, and sometimes an avocado or other treat. Cooks faster than pasta when you need to make your fuel last. Then in restaurants I would be sure to get my fresh veggies and salads as well as some quality protein, and get a couple of hard boiled eggs to go. Most bike racers (roadies, at least) are used to avoiding fat, since we are always trying to keep our weight down, but on TD you need plenty of good fats/oils to keep the furnace stoked. The best strategy for endurance is to eat small amounts quite often, but that is not easy to do on the TD unless you have some sort of bars that have all of what you need. I made my own super-healthy bars and sent some ahead to Rawlins, but of course I couldn't carry enough for the whole ride. I did shop in grocery stores several times, felt it was worth the extra time to get higher quality food. And, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at what you can find in some convenience stores - mixed nuts, dried fruit, V8 juice, chocolate milk, sardines, and high quality energy bars.

I'd be curious to hear what other folks like to eat when camping on TD or similar events. I found that a hot meal and beverage was critical for my mental well-being when camping in the rain, but I know many folks don't even carry a stove.

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #755 on: May 23, 2015, 12:32:51 PM
THE LONG RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #755 on: May 23, 2015, 12:32:51 PM »

I gotta stress that you don't wanna do something during your race that you haven't tried out beforehand. Drastic diet changes are ill advised so close to the race - it's a recipe for disaster. Billy Rice is doing an interesting thing, but it sounds like he's suss'd out the idea beforehand, and he's got a ton of medical experience/monitoring gear.

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #756 on: May 23, 2015, 12:59:17 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #756 on: May 23, 2015, 12:59:17 PM »

I gotta stress that you don't wanna do something during your race that you haven't tried out beforehand. Drastic diet changes are ill advised so close to the race - it's a recipe for disaster. Billy Rice is doing an interesting thing, but it sounds like he's suss'd out the idea beforehand, and he's got a ton of medical experience/monitoring gear.

And Billy goes low carb. I don't know if he's going zero on this but he did indicate that. I know from his presentation in Golden he only advises complex carbs. No sweet fruits, no sugar at all. He also noted that on the route, all bets are off. Get what you can because you can't eat enough.  That said, it sounds like he's going to try to stick to a plan and no doubt to gain some data. But TLR is right. Do what you do and have been doing. I only know what I've heard from the racers over the past several years. But I recall Kevin Montgomery doing the GDR years ago. He was a vegetarian and once on route had a hard time finding the foods he needed. He switched to meat because he could get that on the route but it made him very ill because he hadn't been eating meat. So, FWIW, making radical changes during your race can be a bad idea.

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #757 on: May 23, 2015, 02:24:43 PM
flyboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #757 on: May 23, 2015, 02:24:43 PM »

Flyboy, I have the eTrex 30 and the North America chip and yes the Tour Divide gps track works fine on that.

Thanks MDSeaburg. Do you put the TD .gpx on the sd card with the maps or put it into the eTrex internal memory?

Wow, thanks for that quick info!  Really helpful!

As a general comment from a rookie,  this kind of anecdotal info from experienced riders is really useful and certainly helps with planning.

I am not trying to take away from the "adventure" part of the race, but I know it's an accomplishment just to finish.

Little nuggets like this are golden....

Tom

Tom, I am doing the same at the moment and you are right, these little nuggets are golden.
Thanks for sharing your hard won knowledge folks!

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #758 on: May 23, 2015, 02:48:50 PM
Bluechip

View Profile
« Reply #758 on: May 23, 2015, 02:48:50 PM »

Scott M - This is Mrs. Bluechip.  We're about 2 hours from Deming, NM and my husband is starting the Tour Divide 2015 NOBO in Antelope Wells, NM as ITT tomorrow morning.  How do we add him to the TD 2015 trackleaders page?  Given that he is starting early Sunday...I would really like to get him added today.  Any help would be appreciated! 

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #759 on: May 23, 2015, 03:24:50 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #759 on: May 23, 2015, 03:24:50 PM »

Scott M - This is Mrs. Bluechip.  We're about 2 hours from Deming, NM and my husband is starting the Tour Divide 2015 NOBO in Antelope Wells, NM as ITT tomorrow morning.  How do we add him to the TD 2015 trackleaders page?  Given that he is starting early Sunday...I would really like to get him added today.  Any help would be appreciated! 

Yikes, Mrs. Bluechip, send me an email at smorris@topofusion.com

We will get him online as long as you've got his share page URL handy.  Drop a note.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.
  Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 50
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: