Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 50
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #840 on: May 29, 2015, 05:37:43 PM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #840 on: May 29, 2015, 05:37:43 PM »

Anyone know or had any updates from Stephen Short? Looks like he was northbound - but has come to a stop??

Don't know, but looks like he got as far as the Beaverhead Work Ctr and he's since been removed from tracker and listed as scratched, so at least he sent a msg to Trackleaders.

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #841 on: May 29, 2015, 06:02:17 PM
sfuller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #841 on: May 29, 2015, 06:02:17 PM »

sfuller:  I remember you.  Walked out of the shop just to the left of you in your photo and wondered if you were dead, or in pain or Huh??  Good to hear from you!

Just enjoying the shade, a cold beer and letting the fluid drain out of my legs. We had a great trip Smiley

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #842 on: May 29, 2015, 06:11:59 PM
luas

View Profile
« Reply #842 on: May 29, 2015, 06:11:59 PM »

( and I think it would be hard to get her Delorme tracker tied into trackleaders .. a buddy asked Scott about that last year, trackleaders has the API's all figured out to import Spot data, but Delorme is quite different )
[/quote]

Both Scott and Matthew said there would be no problem getting the Delorme to play nice with Trackleaders. Is anybody else, with he exception of the two currently being tracked, having any luck getting their details onto Trackleaders?

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #843 on: May 29, 2015, 10:13:10 PM
MikeI

View Profile
« Reply #843 on: May 29, 2015, 10:13:10 PM »

( and I think it would be hard to get her Delorme tracker tied into trackleaders .. a buddy asked Scott about that last year, trackleaders has the API's all figured out to import Spot data, but Delorme is quite different )

Both Scott and Matthew said there would be no problem getting the Delorme to play nice with Trackleaders. Is anybody else, with he exception of the two currently being tracked, having any luck getting their details onto Trackleaders?

My apologies for putting out bad info in my earlier post.  It looks like Tiana is on trackleaders now. ( so yes Delorme's do work ) 

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #844 on: May 30, 2015, 08:24:21 AM
Inkerpok

View Profile
« Reply #844 on: May 30, 2015, 08:24:21 AM »

I haven't tried to do anything with trackleaders yet, still waiting on "the big email". Did it go out and I missed it?

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #845 on: May 30, 2015, 09:00:35 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #845 on: May 30, 2015, 09:00:35 AM »

You haven't missed it.  People starting early are signing up, but not GD riders.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #846 on: May 30, 2015, 09:23:33 AM
Inkerpok

View Profile
« Reply #846 on: May 30, 2015, 09:23:33 AM »

Thanks Scott! Relief!

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #847 on: May 30, 2015, 09:40:37 AM
sfuller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #847 on: May 30, 2015, 09:40:37 AM »

You haven't missed it.  People starting early are signing up, but not GD riders.

It's a lot of work suppressing the Type-A checklist part of my psyche right now. Smiley

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #848 on: May 30, 2015, 10:41:08 AM
Rorr

View Profile
« Reply #848 on: May 30, 2015, 10:41:08 AM »

Scott will you post when reg is open on this forum? I'm not really sure if I'm on any sign up lists. Thanks

Robert Orr

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #849 on: May 30, 2015, 12:51:18 PM
bpeschka

View Profile
« Reply #849 on: May 30, 2015, 12:51:18 PM »

Scott will you post when reg is open on this forum? I'm not really sure if I'm on any sign up lists. Thanks

Robert,
You are on the sign up spreadsheet at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IlxJlEG7KjpgvjOQ13p_NBPw55bQHtg-8jhdlhY0Z6c/edit#gid=0

Also, did you send a 'letter of intent' to TD via either the contact page:  tourdivide.org/contact or by email: tourdivide@gmail.com?  I think that's what Matt/Scott use to build the list of riders to contact for Trackleader.

Good Luck,

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #850 on: May 30, 2015, 03:22:41 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #850 on: May 30, 2015, 03:22:41 PM »

TD15 - Billy Rice called in from Wamsutter, WY on the new re-route!
http://mtbcast.com/site2/category/calls/

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #851 on: May 30, 2015, 07:26:57 PM
Guild44

View Profile WWW
« Reply #851 on: May 30, 2015, 07:26:57 PM »

This thread has been so helpful! Thanks everyone for the input. Anybody staying at SameSun Backpackers Lodge? I arrive June 9.  

Three questions (TD rookie here!):

(1) Are aerobars a TD must? (I tried to run them on the Colorado Trail but never used them [not comfortable]; but CT had a lot more single-track. I am just not used to aerobars, and so if I know I'm probably not going to use them, it seems I should ditch them. ??)

(2) I am using a Garmin eTrex30, a Garmin 800 GPS (backup), an Exposure Diablo helmet light, and a Planet Bike AAA battery charged bar mount light (backup). My plan is to have a ton of AAA lithium batteries and cue sheets on my iPhone (keeping my iPhone OFF, except in emergencies). I will also have a couple AAA battery powered USB chargers (to power the backup Garmin and the Exposure light). I'm not sure about bringing the maps (leaning toward "no"), as they are bulky/heavy, and I will have two GPS units (with routes uploaded), plus cue sheets on the iPone. I think I want to opts for no paper maps and no paper cue sheets and no batteries other than AAA batteries. My question is this: do I have enough backups in this electronics/navigation system? (I've thought through a number of ideas, and this is what I settled on; I just wanted to double-check it with the vets out there!)

(3) Is the official start time (on June 12) 10 am? Is it okay to start earlier?

Thanks!

Sarah

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #852 on: May 30, 2015, 07:42:31 PM
bpeschka

View Profile
« Reply #852 on: May 30, 2015, 07:42:31 PM »

Sarah,

Lots of riders go with a lot less level of backup (power and GPS) than you have. 

I bring the maps because I like the info on them and find them both productive and a pleasant mental diversion to read them and compare to the surrounding terrain and my ETrex 30.  I can't get into the mode where you just put your head down and blindly follow the red line on the GPS.

So, it will come down to your personal comfort level.

See you out there, maybe. 

My question is this: do I have enough backups in this electronics/navigation system? (I've thought through a number of ideas, and this is what I settled on; I just wanted to double-check it with the vets out there!)

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #853 on: May 30, 2015, 07:50:15 PM
ElijahGOFAR

View Profile
« Reply #853 on: May 30, 2015, 07:50:15 PM »

If you could spare one, I can pay in beer...

PS: I'll need to finish first though....

Sounds like a plan. Come find me at the Y. I get in on the 8th, but no charge necessary but beers are always a plus.

The only Zen you find at the tops of mountains, is the Zen you take to the tops of mountains.

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #854 on: May 30, 2015, 08:49:17 PM
cobbnat

View Profile
« Reply #854 on: May 30, 2015, 08:49:17 PM »

(1) Are aerobars a TD must?
(2) I am using a Garmin eTrex30, a Garmin 800 GPS (backup), an Exposure Diablo helmet light, and a Planet Bike AAA battery charged bar mount light (backup). My plan is to have a ton of AAA lithium batteries and cue sheets on my iPhone (keeping my iPhone OFF, except in emergencies). I will also have a couple AAA battery powered USB chargers (to power the backup Garmin and the Exposure light). I'm not sure about bringing the maps (leaning toward "no"), as they are bulky/heavy, and I will have two GPS units (with routes uploaded), plus cue sheets on the iPone. I think I want to opts for no paper maps and no paper cue sheets and no batteries other than AAA batteries. My question is this: do I have enough backups in this electronics/navigation system? (I've thought through a number of ideas, and this is what I settled on; I just wanted to double-check it with the vets out there!)
Thanks!
Sarah

Aerobars can be important as an alternate position when your hands go numb from the constant pressure. Well-positioned aerobars are comfortable once you get used to them. And, they are useful to hang gear from, mount GPS to, etc.
I was able to buy lithium batteries along the way without trouble. I carried one or at most two sets of spares.
The map is pretty important if you need to go off-route for any reason. Mail half of them to yourself in Steamboat or someplace. Seems excessive to carry two GPS devices.
Start time in the past has been 8 AM. If you choose to start at another time, you will be officially on an "ITT" and not part of the Grand Depart. That's OK, but you get a different color spot.

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #855 on: May 30, 2015, 09:04:31 PM
daveinbanff

View Profile
« Reply #855 on: May 30, 2015, 09:04:31 PM »

I would suggest adding the aero bars, and if you are not using them in the first week, remove them..

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #856 on: May 30, 2015, 09:14:46 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #856 on: May 30, 2015, 09:14:46 PM »

This thread has been so helpful! Thanks everyone for the input. Anybody staying at SameSun Backpackers Lodge? I arrive June 9.  

Three questions (TD rookie here!):

(1) Are aerobars a TD must? (I tried to run them on the Colorado Trail but never used them [not comfortable]; but CT had a lot more single-track. I am just not used to aerobars, and so if I know I'm probably not going to use them, it seems I should ditch them. ??)

Thanks!

Sarah

Are aerobars a TD must?--not if you are not planning on using them much.  It does take time to get use to them and its a bit late to try to accomplish that at this point.  From what you said I would leave them.  
(note: been using mine in all my training and like the nice 'rest' position they provide and unlike the CTR,the TDR route has miles of aerobar friendly terrain.

Maps?--no reason to bring them if you have a GPS system nailed, you obviously have plenty of backup, I assume you know each GPS unit inside out?  The maps are bulky and don't have much/any off route detail.  And they won't help much with navigation unless you have printed cues on your handlebars and a cycle computer and 'practice' with this rather cumbersome navigation method.  

Note: I see comments all the time on this forum about GPS users with their 'head down and blindly following a line', that's a total crock.  Once proficient with the GPS you spend a lot less time with your 'head down' than if reading cues, constantly checking an odometer and probably stopping several times a day to dig out and double check a map.  Ha, a GPS frees you to keep your head up and experience the surrounding terrain much better than blindly following cues. Wink

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #857 on: May 31, 2015, 01:40:19 AM
flyboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #857 on: May 31, 2015, 01:40:19 AM »

Yep, the map should be enabled by default(at least it is on my eTrex20 which is what I tested the img on when I built it), so really you should just have to remove the -v1 image file from the Garmin directory and replace it with -v2 image file. It should show up in settings as GDMBR-basemap-v2.

Thanks SlowRide, I have it all sorted now.  thumbsup

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #858 on: May 31, 2015, 07:39:55 AM
Briansong

View Profile
« Reply #858 on: May 31, 2015, 07:39:55 AM »

Are aerobars a TD must?--not if you are not planning on using them much.  It does take time to get use to them and its a bit late to try to accomplish that at this point.  From what you said I would leave them. 
(note: been using mine in all my training and like the nice 'rest' position they provide and unlike the CTR,the TDR route has miles of aerobar friendly terrain.

Maps?--no reason to bring them if you have a GPS system nailed, you obviously have plenty of backup, I assume you know each GPS unit inside out?  The maps are bulky and don't have much/any off route detail.  And they won't help much with navigation unless you have printed cues on your handlebars and a cycle computer and 'practice' with this rather cumbersome navigation method. 

Note: I see comments all the time on this forum about GPS users with their 'head down and blindly following a line', that's a total crock.  Once proficient with the GPS you spend a lot less time with your 'head down' than if reading cues, constantly checking an odometer and probably stopping several times a day to dig out and double check a map.  Ha, a GPS frees you to keep your head up and experience the surrounding terrain much better than blindly following cues. Wink

I agree with Marshall on the GPS/maps thing 1000 percent.

On the aero bars, I also agree with Marshall it's a bit late right now. On the other hand, you'll have PLENTY of time to become comfortable using them. I was able to even make some small adjustments to grips and slight aero bar angles while riding, which helps.

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #859 on: May 31, 2015, 12:38:22 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #859 on: May 31, 2015, 12:38:22 PM »

Billy Rice called in this morning from near the Basin!
http://mtbcast.com/site2/category/calls/

JP - MTBCast.com
  Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 50
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: