Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 50
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #180 on: December 12, 2014, 06:17:03 AM
dp

Health Coach. Hope Dealer. Mountain Bike Junkie.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: December 12, 2014, 06:17:03 AM »

Which bike do you plan to take on the GD, dp?
Fargo.  Bought and built with TD in mind.  So far I love it.

"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."  - H. G. Wells
www.davidjamesphillips.com
www.davidjamesphillips.blogspot.com

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #181 on: December 12, 2014, 06:35:39 AM
JRA

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 12, 2014, 06:35:39 AM »

Fargo.  Bought and built with TD in mind.  So far I love it.
Cool.  Post up pics sometime if you get a chance.

I don't know what the question is - but the answer is: Lubrication!

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #182 on: December 12, 2014, 09:58:12 AM
worntreads

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: December 12, 2014, 09:58:12 AM »

I have Avid Elixir 5's on my trail bike.  Your mileage may vary, but in my experience, these brakes need to be bled every few hundred miles.  Avid BB7's (mechanical) on my Fargo.  No issues so far.

BB7s look dope, but I've heard that Shimano is king of disc brakes on MTBs. After seeing how to bleed them I already am happy with my choice (it's SLX series).

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #183 on: December 12, 2014, 12:04:48 PM
Christopher R. Bennett

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: December 12, 2014, 12:04:48 PM »

Hi All,

Thanks to those who provided links to Tour Divide stories/blogs. I've published them to: http://lpcb.org/index.php/tour-divide-web-links

If you know of any that are missing please add them through the form at: http://goo.gl/forms/yLuzLYDr62

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #184 on: December 12, 2014, 04:24:05 PM
worntreads

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: December 12, 2014, 04:24:05 PM »

Mike, I'm stoked you're doing TD! It will be cool to meet you!
I'm looking into my dynamo setup and I'm thinking a SP PL-8x (if it ever comes back in stock, or PD-8x with 6 bolt to Centerlock adapter), a Revo Exposure, and a Plug 3. I too want a switch and think that stem mounted switch is cool! Did you print it yourself? I don't know where a 3D printer is I can use! (50USD + shipping is a lot for a piece of plastic on the kLite site). Is it hard wiring together the switch, charger, light setup? For someone who works with his hands on electronics all day I am sort of intimidated by dynamos!

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #185 on: December 12, 2014, 10:05:30 PM
sfuller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: December 12, 2014, 10:05:30 PM »

I'm looking into my dynamo setup and I'm thinking a SP PL-8x (if it ever comes back in stock, or PD-8x with 6 bolt to Centerlock adapter), a Revo Exposure, and a Plug 3. I too want a switch and think that stem mounted switch is cool! Did you print it yourself? I don't know where a 3D printer is I can use! (50USD + shipping is a lot for a piece of plastic on the kLite site). Is it hard wiring together the switch, charger, light setup? For someone who works with his hands on electronics all day I am sort of intimidated by dynamos!

The soldering of the switch, etc should be a piece of cake for you. I soldered some cables and connectors for the first iteration of my setup with no real issues. Being able to switch between the light and the battery is nice.

See you in Banff. Smiley

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #186 on: December 13, 2014, 05:05:18 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: December 13, 2014, 05:05:18 AM »

I'm not in for 2015. Just jumped into this thread to comment on the dyno stuff. Was hoping for 2012 but kids and my business got in the way.

Once I get my switch running I will likely make the housing available. Maybe even the whole wiring harness. But I can probably supply housings in 2 designs (bar and steerer tube mount) for about 20$ shipped US postal. I have a local guy who can 3d print - still haven't field tested the housing - my exposure revo had to go back for warranty so I'm behind on wiring and testing. Once that gets back in the next couple of weeks I'll post an update.

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #187 on: December 13, 2014, 07:19:41 PM
bouldernick

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 13, 2014, 07:19:41 PM »

Hi All,

Thanks to those who provided links to Tour Divide stories/blogs. I've published them to: http://lpcb.org/index.php/tour-divide-web-links

If you know of any that are missing please add them through the form at: http://goo.gl/forms/yLuzLYDr62

Thanks Chris! Awesome to see them all in one place. What a huge resource.

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #188 on: December 16, 2014, 06:51:37 AM
kiwidave

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 16, 2014, 06:51:37 AM »

Bear Spray: Thanks for all the answers and ideas for carrying.

Tour Divide Shoes:

I'm trying to choose between the Mavic Scree and the Shimano MTB 71. I ride in the Alps with the MTB 91 boot, so I am leaning towards the Shimano. Does anyone have any comments? I'm committed to taking a comfortable off hike-a-bike shoe as it seems many withdrawals are from Achilles problems whilst walking. It also helps reduce the chances of falling on the hike-a-bike sections.

Cheers,

Dave

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #189 on: December 16, 2014, 09:27:36 AM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: December 16, 2014, 09:27:36 AM »

Bear Spray: Thanks for all the answers and ideas for carrying.

Tour Divide Shoes:

I'm trying to choose between the Mavic Scree and the Shimano MTB 71. I ride in the Alps with the MTB 91 boot, so I am leaning towards the Shimano. Does anyone have any comments? I'm committed to taking a comfortable off hike-a-bike shoe as it seems many withdrawals are from Achilles problems whilst walking. It also helps reduce the chances of falling on the hike-a-bike sections.

Cheers,

Dave

I can’t recommend between a Mavic Scree or Shimano MTB 71 as I have not used either one.  I am sure both are fine choices if they fit etc. 

But I would comment that there really is not much hike-a-bike and much as a lot of walk-a-bike on the TDR.  Yes there are a few short hike-a-bike sections, maybe ½ mile total? It’s the snow that can be problematic as its slippery and can twist your footing.  What I am getting at is any shoe you are comfortable walking in will work for the TDR route.  And no shoe will solve the snow issue all by itself.

IMO, regardless of shoe type/choice the best way to avoid Achilles issues from walking/hiking your bike is to:
1: Train by walking your fully loaded bike up steep sections--hike your loaded bike up sections steep enough to really force you to push off each step while on your toes with stretched Achilles.  IE: get your calf muscles and Achilles trained for sustained hike-a-bike sections before the TDR.

2: Go slow, smooth and easy through the deep snow.  The snow is the real Achilles killers on the TDR, especially if you fight through it and over work and twist as you go.  Just slow down to an easy plod-along pace and carefully place each step in the slippery stuff.  Back off the pace if you feel pain

3) In true hike-a-bike sections learn to use your bike as a support, learn to efficiently lift/move/place your bike, so as to let it help rather than hinder your progress.. 

Also if required (and conditions allow) the snow can provide instant ice pack once you reach the end of a section.

Best of luck on your TDR!

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #190 on: December 16, 2014, 11:12:23 AM
chainagent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: December 16, 2014, 11:12:23 AM »

I can’t recommend between a Mavic Scree or Shimano MTB 71 as I have not used either one.  I am sure both are fine choices if they fit etc. 

Hi!

The Mavic Scree are very fine shoes. Very good walking performance. I used it at the TD and at the Highland Trail Race. But there is on big issue with it. The cleats at the heel (both shoes) are ripping off in case of longer walks. The routher the terrain you're walking the earlier you'll lose the cleats. At the beginning of the HTR I had a new pair (from a replacement) and it didn't survive the second day. So better go for another shoe!

Michael

My Tour Divide 2013 Blog: http://mgtd2013.blogspot.de/

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #191 on: December 16, 2014, 02:52:33 PM
Briansong

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 16, 2014, 02:52:33 PM »

But I would comment that there really is not much hike-a-bike and much as a lot of walk-a-bike on the TDR.  Yes there are a few short hike-a-bike sections, maybe ½ mile total? It’s the snow that can be problematic as its slippery and can twist your footing.  What I am getting at is any shoe you are comfortable walking in will work for the TDR route.  And no shoe will solve the snow issue all by itself.

IMO, regardless of shoe type/choice the best way to avoid Achilles issues from walking/hiking your bike is to:
1: Train by walking your fully loaded bike up steep sections--hike your loaded bike up sections steep enough to really force you to push off each step while on your toes with stretched Achilles.  IE: get your calf muscles and Achilles trained for sustained hike-a-bike sections before the TDR.

2: Go slow, smooth and easy through the deep snow.  The snow is the real Achilles killers on the TDR, especially if you fight through it and over work and twist as you go.  Just slow down to an easy plod-along pace and carefully place each step in the slippery stuff.  Back off the pace if you feel pain

3) In true hike-a-bike sections learn to use your bike as a support, learn to efficiently lift/move/place your bike, so as to let it help rather than hinder your progress.. 

Also if required (and conditions allow) the snow can provide instant ice pack once you reach the end of a section.

Best of luck on your TDR!

Truer words have never been spoken. I went out on this years TD after Richmond Peak, in Seely Lake. I had such ankle pain from my poor shoe choice, I could not continue. My pain was not in the Achilles but the tendons on the side of the ankle (Peroneus Brevis Tendon) I had done much Achilles stretching for months prior with a "Prostretch." My failure was the shoe choice, I chose my everyday Shimano comp MTB shoe. Great general riding and OK for walking, but not in snow. My ankles twisted uncontrollably in the deep stuff on Richmond.

I am most likely going to go with flats and much better walking shoe for my next attempt.

Also listen to Marshal's advise of "slow and steady" in the snow.

Good luck on the trail!!

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #192 on: December 16, 2014, 03:21:44 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: December 16, 2014, 03:21:44 PM »

One suggestion would also be to toughen up the feet with some sort of hiking/trail running. It doesn't have to be a ridiculous amount, but get some mileage on your feet, rather than just pedaling the bike.

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #193 on: December 16, 2014, 03:31:03 PM
THE LONG RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: December 16, 2014, 03:31:03 PM »

Hey TD CO'ers -

Would there be any interest in doing some sort of gathering/overnight/skillz weekend, before the race (maybe in May?) Could be a time for racers to meet up and say hello, and old-timers to impart some strategy. We can do some of the route - maybe start in Breck, go over Boreas, and onwards to Salida. It's a bit touch and go if Boreas will be snow-free at that point - which may actually play well into prep. After Boreas, the route is pretty relaxed, yet sorta desolate (and can be windy).

Just seeing if there's any interest by racers or veterans.

One idea for a time would be May 16th, rolling out of Breck, with the goal of getting to Salida following the GDMBR. May 17th is the Dirty Double Fondo, which is a gravel grinder in Salida, that I've done two times in a row (I seem to like it!). The course follows some of the same route of the GDMBR, but also goes into some really nice country around South Park near Guffy that's similar to what you'd find in the rest of the GDMBR - lots a nice rolling terrain, and you'd ascend the pass into/out of Salida twice. If you're close to Salida, I'd def. suggest this ride as a good shakedown for the GDMBR - fully loaded down or not. 200km should not be a big problem for a TD rider to do, ~ month out of the TD itself, and would be a good race to assess your overall fitness and make some sort of time goal based on it. Plus, I need some competition for next year Wink
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 12:32:59 PM by THE LONG RANGER » Logged

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #194 on: December 17, 2014, 07:43:05 PM
SlowRide

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 17, 2014, 07:43:05 PM »

Hey TD CO'ers -

Would there be any interest in doing some sort of gathering/overnight/skillz weekend, before the race (maybe in May?) Could be a time for racers to meet up and say hello, and old-timers to impart some strategy. We can do some of the route - maybe start in Breck, go over Boreas, and onwards to Salida. It's a bit touch and go if Boreas will be snow-free at that point - which may actually play well into prep. After Boreas, the route is pretty relaxed, yet sorta desolate (and can be windy).

Just seeing if there's any interest by racers or veterans.

One idea for a time would be May 16th, rolling out of Breck, with the goal of getting to Salida following the GDMBR. May 17th is the Dirty Double Fondo, which is a gravel grinder in Salida, that I've done two times in a row (I seem to like it!). The course follows some of the same route of the GDMBR, but also goes into some really nice country around South Park near Guffy that's similar to what you'd find in the rest of the GDMBR - lots a nice rolling terrain, and you'd ascend the pass into/out of Salida twice. If you're close to Salida, I'd def. suggest this ride as a good shakedown for the GDMBR - fully loaded down or not. 200km should not be a big problem for a TD rider to do, ~ month out of the TD itself, and would be a good race to assess your overall fitness and make some sort of time goal based on it. Plus, I need some competition for next year Wink

I'll definitely keep this on my radar. Wouldn't take much for me to ride to Breck from Steamboat and meet up with the group. The view as you start to descend to Salida was one of my favorites on the whole divide, I'd love to get back to it for another gander.

Going that one more round, when you don't think you can. That's what makes all the difference in your life.
--Rocky Balboa

http://twelvemilesperhour.blogspot.com

TDR 2014, AZTR750 2015, CTR 2015

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #195 on: December 17, 2014, 07:58:46 PM
THE LONG RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: December 17, 2014, 07:58:46 PM »

I'll definitely keep this on my radar. Wouldn't take much for me to ride to Breck from Steamboat and meet up with the group. The view as you start to descend to Salida was one of my favorites on the whole divide, I'd love to get back to it for another gander.

It's a good view! Here it is last year, a few days before the DDF - the big bumps (L -> R) are Shavano, Mt. White, Antero and a bit of Mt. Princeton. I'm a bit well-familiarized with them now Wink  

* top_indian_hills.jpg (39.1 KB, 800x225 - viewed 545 times.)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 08:28:14 PM by THE LONG RANGER » Logged

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #196 on: December 17, 2014, 08:23:36 PM
Yagi

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 17, 2014, 08:23:36 PM »

I bit well-familiarized with them Wink 

Justin, you're a stud.  It's still amazes me what you did.  Effing radical.

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #197 on: December 18, 2014, 08:54:23 AM
dp

Health Coach. Hope Dealer. Mountain Bike Junkie.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: December 18, 2014, 08:54:23 AM »

Hate to write this, but I'm pulling out for TD 2015. Details on the blog. Best of luck and safe travels on the trail next year. And yes, I will still be watching your blue dots.

-dp

"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."  - H. G. Wells
www.davidjamesphillips.com
www.davidjamesphillips.blogspot.com

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #198 on: December 18, 2014, 06:33:24 PM
sfuller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: December 18, 2014, 06:33:24 PM »

Hate to write this, but I'm pulling out for TD 2015. Details on the blog. Best of luck and safe travels on the trail next year. And yes, I will still be watching your blue dots.

Sorry you wont be at the start this year DP. However, I don't think anyone could argue with the reasons for making your decision.

Steve

Topic Name: 2015 TD Reply #199 on: December 24, 2014, 12:53:04 PM
sfuller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: December 24, 2014, 12:53:04 PM »

LOI submitted for TD 2015. Room booked in Banff. Things are starting to get a touch more real now.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 50
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: