Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion on: December 19, 2013, 07:03:58 PM
Racingguy04

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2013, 07:03:58 PM »

I decided this year that I wanted to try and do the CTR in 2014. So I'm riding as much as possible and planning to ride even more as soon as the weather co-operates. I did some bike packing this past summer, and I'm planning much more this spring and summer. I have no illusions of winning or even being competitive with the majority of the field but thru riding the Colorado trail at a quick pace just sounds like too much fun to pass up. My main goal is just to finish and right now I'm thinking of having a goal of roughly 50 miles a day or so with a goal of finishing in 10 days. Of course if I'm feeling it, I'm always open to riding more each day and finishing sooner. My question is, is it worth participating in the CTR if I'm going to be going so slow. Also I wasn't sure if the CTR has a maximum time allowed.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 02:10:06 PM by Racingguy04 » Logged

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 11:30:23 AM
spoke537

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 11:30:23 AM »

I decided this year that I wanted to try and do the CTR in 2014. So I'm riding as much as possible and planning to ride even more as soon as the weather co-operates. I did some bike packing this past summer, and I'm planning much more this spring and summer. I have no illusions of winning or even being competitive with the majority of the field but thru riding the Colorado trail at a quick pace just sounds like too much fun to pass up. My main goal is just to finish and right now I'm thinking of having a goal of roughly 50 miles a day or so with a goal of finishing in 10 days. Of course if I'm feeling it, I'm always open to riding more each day and finishing sooner. My question is, is it worth participating in the CTR if I'm going to be going so slow. Also I wasn't sure if the CTR has a maximum time allowed.

The CTR is anything you want it to be.  If you want to be part of the grand depart and tracked with the group, Go for it!  No one will dismiss your effort no matter how long it takes you to finish.  Do your thing and smile everyday!  It'll be an expereince of a lifetime!

-Les

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 02:51:51 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 02:51:51 PM »

I toured the CT a couple summers ago in 10 riding days with a goal of 50 mile days. At the time for me this pace was in the 'good, honest, daily efforts' realm but still enjoyable. I got to eat in towns, meet people, have great conversations, I didn't feel like I needed to skip anything for racing sake, nor did I want to. Plus out of Salida I opted to ride Monarch and descend into Sargents which many people say is more pleasant than sticking to Fooses. As I'd come a reasonably long way to ride in CO for my first time I didn't want to miss on Monarch or blast through legendary Leadville in the middle of the night or whatever else because I was racing.

I know many are attracted by the allure of racing and being with the group and all that but there's no reason you couldn't have as much or more fun solo fast touring as I did. Racing the route would really be an incredible experience but very different from fast touring and there's no reason you couldn't enjoy either.
Whichever you choose it's an incredible route with great little towns filled with amazing people along the way. I can't wait to get back down there to ride again. Maybe to tour, maybe to race, probably to tour (quickly) though as there was just too much good outside of the riding to skip out on.
Have fun!
Adam
Adam.

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 06:19:04 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 06:19:04 PM »

I would encourage you to go for the Grand Depart--you have indicated you will do more than 50 miles on a day where you 'feel it'--and if you can knock out 50 miles on the hardest day --with much less effort you will be knocking out +50 on the easier section--so 10 days down to 8 days is a very doable finish time with this approach -- and any finish time near 8 days is "racing" minus the now expected sleep deprivation..............and if you like the whole GD environment you can come back next time with different goals.....

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 09:37:40 AM
sherpaxc

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 09:37:40 AM »

I'm fast touring for a second time this summer for all the above listed reasons.  Think Matt Lee said it in the original year that this trail is just too beautiful to miss out on by riding at night.

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 04:28:52 PM
Racingguy04

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 04:28:52 PM »

Good to know, my general plan is to just ride during the daylight hours and if I need to ride at night, I can, but I'd like to enjoy the riding, as well as the experience of being part of a group/race.

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 06:20:52 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 06:20:52 PM »

Simplest solution.....
Tour it one year, Race it the next. Best of both worlds and you would have course knowledge before racing, which for something like this would be a huge advantage.

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 10:55:57 AM
Racingguy04

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 10:55:57 AM »

that's my thought is to go easy this year and maybe try to go faster next year, but no guarantees that I'll be able to race it next year so I figure I may as well make the most of the opportunities I have.

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 12:19:35 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 12:19:35 PM »

Either way you do it you'll have a heck of a good time, it's an amazing route. I'm hoping I can get down there again maybe this year.
Best of luck and keep us posted on how your ride goes.

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 02:53:26 PM
aaron w

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 02:53:26 PM »

Just to throw one more opinion in the mix....  Given your projected finish time if I were you I would seriously consider doing an ITT and starting a day or two early.  Of course then you'd get no grand depart, but you might end up getting more interaction with fellow racers this way.  And maybe these interactions would occur at a time when you really need to see someone who understands what you're going through....You could even time things so that you'd be likely to have people around you during some of the hardest or most demoralizing sections (seargants mesa comes to mind), that could be a big advantage I think.  Good luck either way, the ctr is an awesome experience. 

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 08:15:12 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 08:15:12 AM »

The CTR is, by definition, a RACE. To me, that means attempting to finish as quickly as possible. It's about riding hard, sleeping little, and pushing through pre-conceived limitations and boundaries. Racing is supposed to be hard--and the CTR is brutally hard! Yes, some people finish more slowly than others--but not necessarily due to less commitment or effort.

Seems to me that you'd be selling yourself short by entering a race without actually attempting to race. You'll never truly appreciate the other racers around you if you aren't as exhausted and passionate as they are. You will, in effect, by a bystander, not a participant.

If you commit to the race, you'll miss a few beautiful mountain views. But you'll experience the mystery of riding through the night with the ghosts of sleep deprivation to keep you company. You'll learn things about yourself that might shock you, perhaps in both pleasant and unpleasant ways. Whether you finish or not, you'll grow.

All of that said, touring the CT would be an absolute blast. I'll probably do it sometime too. Just not during the CTR!

"Done"

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 02:25:38 PM
Stefan_G

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 02:25:38 PM »

The CTR popularity only seems to increase each year, so if you don't intend to go into it as a race, I would recommend that you do NOT start with the group. I say this for two reasons: 1.) it is a race, which means go as fast as you can go. Sure, this may not be competitive with the guys/gals up front, but will likely be competitive with any number of other racers, and 2.) keeping other trail users happy as the trail is pretty concentrated with CTR riders for the first 30 miles

As the organizer of the CTR, and thus the point of contact for most people's complaints, it seems the #1 comment is somewhat of a gripe that "Wow, there sure are a lot of CTR riders."  I personally feel that everyone has a right to use and share the trail, and no one should expect or feel entitled to have the trail to themselves. However, if you are a trail user on that first 30 miles before the racers get spread out, I can understand how it feels a bit crowded and maybe even annoying.  Of course for perspective, visit Kenosha pass on a weekend in September where the numbers are double or triple that of CTR riders...

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”
  -- frequently (mis)attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #12 on: December 25, 2013, 09:12:34 AM
sherpaxc

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2013, 09:12:34 AM »

I'm fast touring for a second time this summer for all the above listed reasons.  Think Matt Lee said it in the original year that this trail is just too beautiful to miss out on by riding at night.
I'll clarify my statement by saying I won't be riding with the Ctr. I'll be starting before the racers most likely. God I love the Colorado Trail.

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #13 on: December 26, 2013, 09:11:13 PM
Mini Bear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2013, 09:11:13 PM »

I kind of had the same intent for my first go at the CT this year, that is: go as far as I can in a day, but sleep well and not worry too much about the racing part of it. I would recommend an ITT for your first time. I think it takes a lot of the stress out of it, which helps to eliminate some of the mistakes that might be made in an event like this (for example, trying to keep up with faster guys and blowing up). I also went the opposite direction of the grand depart which made for a good time getting the snap shots of the race unfolding and still getting to interact with other racers. Either way you go, you'll have a good time.

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #14 on: December 27, 2013, 02:53:40 AM
KO

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2013, 02:53:40 AM »

Is the start going to be Denver or Durango for 2014?

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #15 on: December 27, 2013, 08:45:25 AM
Stefan_G

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2013, 08:45:25 AM »

Is the start going to be Denver or Durango for 2014?
Denver --> Durango for 2014.  6am Start on Sunday, 8/10 from Waterton Canyon. Tarry-all Detour.  Hoping to get the webpage back up soon...

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #16 on: December 27, 2013, 09:37:42 AM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2013, 09:37:42 AM »

Race your own race, bro! Be prepared as much as time allows and be ready for when things go unexpectedly. The way you handle those situations may be what's really going to define your time on the trail. Everything else is good times, man, good times.

Mass starts are really nerve-racking for me - I'm sure others feel similar. It's still something to experience. After the first minute, you'll feel a thousand times less stressed, and a thousand times more happy to be on the trail, sharing this unique event with all these rad people around you. Who knows what you're capable of, unless you go for it, full gas?

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #17 on: December 27, 2013, 10:40:59 AM
pbasinger

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2013, 10:40:59 AM »

Denver --> Durango for 2014.  6am Start on Sunday, 8/10 from Waterton Canyon. Tarry-all Detour.  Hoping to get the webpage back up soon...

August 10?  Is that set in stone? 

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #18 on: December 27, 2013, 07:59:44 PM
Stefan_G

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2013, 07:59:44 PM »

August 10?  Is that set in stone? 
Pretty stoney... A bit late, but it coincides with the full moon.  We could certainly change it if there is an overwhelming consensus here though.

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #19 on: December 27, 2013, 09:47:31 PM
KO

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2013, 09:47:31 PM »

Dang!  Was hoping for Durango just because already done it Den-Dur twice and I would have a free ride to Durango that weekend for a friend's Telluride Mountain Run.
  Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: