Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #40 on: January 05, 2014, 11:15:52 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2014, 11:15:52 PM »

Denver --> Durango for 2014.  6am Start on Sunday, 8/10 from Waterton Canyon. Tarry-all Detour.  Hoping to get the webpage back up soon...

Curiosity, as I've only toured the route and took the 285 detour. Following the Tarryall detour you obviously don't pass through Bailey, a convenient re-up spot. Does Tarryall have a store or any supplies, the internet doesn't show much there, or are racers carrying supplies and re-uping at Copper or Leadville?

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #41 on: January 06, 2014, 08:43:38 AM
Mini Bear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2014, 08:43:38 AM »

There are actually a couple different spots to resupply on the Tarryall detour. The first is Wellington Lake; I saw a couple vending machines, but it is pretty sparse. Clean water though. This summer there was a place called Ute Trail River Ranch along Tarryall Rd., but they have apparently sold the place and retired (http://www.utetrailriverranch.com/id17.html). So, maybe there will be new owners that will take it up and it will remain a good resupply, but who knows? The last resupply before Breck is the Stagestop Store and Saloon. This guy runs a restaurant/bar and a small store (think gas station food). He got way into the race this past year and stayed open late for some folks, but it looks like his official hours are 10am-10pm. After that, it's on through to Breck and the rest of the well established resupply points.

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #42 on: January 06, 2014, 10:24:25 AM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2014, 10:24:25 AM »

That's great, thanks Al. And the Tarryall detour used in the race, is it the same detour outlined in the official Colorado Trail guide book put out by the CT foundation?
http://www.shop.coloradotrail.org/Official-CT-Guidebook-8th-Edition-GUIDE8.htm

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #43 on: January 06, 2014, 12:33:01 PM
Mini Bear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2014, 12:33:01 PM »

One and the same. I know the Tarryall detour wasn't everyone's favorite, but I would do it twice over to avoid the deathtrap that is a shoulder-less Hwy 285 (i.e. Bailey detour). Besides it'll be fun to watch Jefe, Jesse, et al try to break 4 days with that thrown in.

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #44 on: January 06, 2014, 07:28:47 PM
Racingguy04

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2014, 07:28:47 PM »

I appreciate the advice and I've enjoyed the discussion, I mean to ride the CT as fast as I can so in that regard  I will be racing, it's just that as fast as I can won't be very fast compared to most of the others racing. I might try the ITT, which is kind of how I see my race anyway. I'd love to ride the CTR all summer but between trying to get off time for work and everything else in life 8-10 days is probably all I can spare.

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #45 on: January 07, 2014, 07:29:42 AM
sherpaxc

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2014, 07:29:42 AM »

What kind of snow year is CO having so far?  I'm looking at an early/mid July start.  Something like the 2nd week in July. 

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #46 on: January 07, 2014, 08:12:39 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2014, 08:12:39 AM »

What kind of snow year is CO having so far?  I'm looking at an early/mid July start.  Something like the 2nd week in July. 
It's really hard to tell what the snowpack in Colorado will look like until much later in the winter, since we actually get most of our snow later rather than earlier. Sometimes it looks desperate--and then we get several big dumps in March or even April. Sometimes it looks great, and then we get nothing for the rest of the winter. I've pretty much given up trying to plan anything for the summer until at least March.

"Done"

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #47 on: January 09, 2014, 01:14:31 PM
Yogi the Barry

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2014, 01:14:31 PM »

Re: August 10, Sunday, Full Moon
Starting the week before the full moon, would mean that the moon is already up at sunset. First quarter, straight overhead at sunset, still provides plenty of light [double the illuminated moon surface does not provide twice the perceived illumination]. The week after the full moon would mean having to wait longer and longer after sunset for the moon to rise. Starting before the full moon favors early evening riding and starting the week after full favors predawn alpine starts. I plan on riding the Some Sleep class and like extending my rides into the evening, vs. getting up much earlier than 5AM. Every week the start is later in the year also means less daylight, but perhaps out of the monsoon season.
[Cutting thru all my analytical ramblings - I would prefer the CTR to start August 3rd!]
-Barry

PS/EDIT - Is this going to be the main/new CTR 2014 thread? If so, can somebody rename it?

Pretty stoney... A bit late, but it coincides with the full moon.  We could certainly change it if there is an overwhelming consensus here though.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 11:47:00 AM by Yogi the Barry » Logged

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #48 on: January 10, 2014, 08:15:37 AM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2014, 08:15:37 AM »

This is of course assuming you can actually see the moon.

Monsoon season has a way of obscuring a nice big full moon :-)

Man was it wet and cold last year - here's to a dry spell right around Aug 10th  Wink

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #49 on: January 11, 2014, 02:42:47 PM
ezr4d

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2014, 02:42:47 PM »

If this is gonna be the '14 CTR thread, can I throw in some gear questions?
for the CTR vets out there.. which of these options would you choose:
a) 4" carbon FS
b) hardtail 1 - steel frame
c) hardtail 2 - carbon frame. 3-4 lbs lighter than steel bike.
d) pick one at random and spend more time training

I am also wondering about backpack vs. everything on the bike. Seems like with the HAB on the route, maybe shifting some stuff to a pack makes sense, but I've always preferred riding without one. Would be packing light either way.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 02:53:56 PM by ezr4d » Logged

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #50 on: January 11, 2014, 07:12:20 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2014, 07:12:20 PM »

a) 4" carbon FS

I am also wondering about backpack vs. everything on the bike. Seems like with the HAB on the route, maybe shifting some stuff to a pack makes sense, but I've always preferred riding without one. Would be packing light either way.
I first finished the CTR on a '94 Cannondale Delta V hardtail with 50mm of old-school Headshok suspension. When I finished the second time, I rode a new Cannondale RZ-120 with 120 mm of plush full-suspension. Both bikes worked, but full suspension sure was more fun. It enabled be to descend faster with more control--which was really nice when I was sleep deprived and physically exhausted.

But I've seen pretty much everything out there from fully-rigid singlespeeds to 29" full-suspension carbon fiber all-mountain rides. Seems that pretty much anything will work, so choose what you think will be the most fun and rewarding for you!

As far carrying your stuff, I've seen pretty much everything from backpacks to panniers. I personally prefer putting as much on the bike as possible. My weak points have always been by butt and back, so I carry just a small pack. Plus, it's easier to roll weight than carry it (aside from a few very short spots where it's easier to carry your bike than push it). But, again, personal preference is really the rule. Lots of good options, depending on your build, training, etc.

"Done"

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #51 on: January 11, 2014, 07:19:31 PM
Gimmearaise

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2014, 07:19:31 PM »

I used a carbon hardtail last year, most likely using a aluminum full suspension this year. I would use what you have, the first time I toured the CT I was on a Trek Fuel ex 9.8. As long as you make sure there are not issues with your bike prior to your depart-----most bikes will get you from A to B.

I tend to keep most things off my back, 550 miles is a long way, I prefer beating up my bike, rather then my back. Even on the HABs, I keep it all on my bike. Pack light, but don't skimp, most times your a long ways away from help.

Neil

WWW.BikepackingSummit.com

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #52 on: January 11, 2014, 08:01:38 PM
ezr4d

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2014, 08:01:38 PM »

Thanks for the insight, lots to think about. FS sounds like more fun out there & easier on the body.

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #53 on: January 12, 2014, 09:14:01 AM
Mini Bear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2014, 09:14:01 AM »

+1 for a full sus. I completed the route on a hardtail, which was totally doable and fun, it just would have been more so with a full suspension. That said, also be sure your shit is dialed before heading out. It would blow to have such an experience ruined by a blown out anything. And carry more stuff on the bike. If you can't fit it in a framebag, handlebar bag, and seatbag, then it's a good idea to seriously think about why you're taking it.

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #54 on: January 12, 2014, 02:16:05 PM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2014, 02:16:05 PM »

a) 4" carbon FS

Wish I was able to have such a fleet to choose from - nice!
I attempted it the last two years on a FS, and will be attempting this years run on a new El Mariachi (steel hard tail)
I have a feeling that the actual bike you choose makes little difference to the final outcome. Lot more to do with grit, determination, will power and luck!

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #55 on: January 12, 2014, 02:50:41 PM
JosiahM

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2014, 02:50:41 PM »

Thanks for the insight, lots to think about. FS sounds like more fun out there & easier on the body.

I have ridden both aluminum FS and steel hard tail on the CTR(ITT).
The FS was of course more fun on the downhills and easier all around on the downhill.
The hard tail was easier to get uphill even though it was slightly heavier.
I originally thought the FS would make it easier on my butt but come to find out, the FS forced me to stay seated a lot more while climbing so it ended up hurting the rear more.  the hard tail let me stand a lot more on the climbs to give the butt a break.
also, the hardtail allowed just enough extra room on the bike to avoid having the carry a pack on the back.
it pretty much boiled down to FS="better downhill" and HT="better uphill".... I figure the uphill is the part I need all the help I can get so I choose HT Smiley
but then again, everyone has their own unique experience with both styles of bikes.  I would suggest riding that kind of terrain on both and see which one is easier to get up and over the mountain on and what makes the most sense with your gear packing strategy

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #56 on: January 12, 2014, 04:01:55 PM
ezr4d

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2014, 04:01:55 PM »

@ Woodland - I agree, bike choice is secondary to all that other stuff!
I have always ridden hardtails and just got my first FS bike last summer. It's a fun bike but I've never bikepacked with it, whereas I have with the steel bike & have the packing pretty dialed for it. Just trying to decide if I want to spend time/money setting up the squishy bike or just ride the steel hardtail..
The carbon hardtail is just a frame right now that I won Smiley Will probably try to sell it as I hardly need three XC bikes.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 05:20:08 PM by ezr4d » Logged

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #57 on: January 13, 2014, 11:45:11 AM
Shirey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2014, 11:45:11 AM »

I am also wondering about backpack vs. everything on the bike. Seems like with the HAB on the route, maybe shifting some stuff to a pack makes sense, but I've always preferred riding without one.

I was probably in the minority last year, as I carried most everything in my backpack. I didn't have much choice because I used my Yeti SB-66C and the rear shock placement pretty much prevents you from using a frame bag of any decent size. I admit I was pretty scared in Silverton after I loaded it with enough food to get to Buena Vista (which was a complete waste as I didn't even get to Silverton until 2PM on Day 2), but I got used to the weight pretty easily and didn't think much about it during the race.

I had so much fun with that bike that I'll probably do the same thing again this year, even if perhaps its not the fastest set-up I can imagine. I took waaaaaay too much crap with me last year, so I am hoping to lighten up considerably even with the backpack.

Main thing I want to change is to get my water bladder on to the top tube. It was a pain to try and get a re-filled bladder back into the pack with so much other junk in there.

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #58 on: January 13, 2014, 12:11:35 PM
Matt

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2014, 12:11:35 PM »

I admit I was pretty scared in Silverton after I loaded it with enough food to get to Buena Vista...

I picked up Ski_Loveland's back pack and I was scared for him. Maybe I should have tried his approach though. Making my 3rd (1st finish) attempt this year. It IS the year. See ya out there.

Matt

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #59 on: January 13, 2014, 12:18:00 PM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2014, 12:18:00 PM »

I have to say that after trying no backpack in the 2013 CTR, here is my .02:

It pretty much sucked unless my load was light. Like approaching a resupply. Leaving Durango, Silverton and Copper I was mad heavy. Only way to do it is to:
1. Be a total badass who can carry a regular or near regular load on the bike. Think Jefe or Jesse. And those guys still trimmed out excess weight/bulk IMO
2. Carry nothing- like no gear really at all. Minimum water food and batteries to reach next resupply. Like day ride with a E-bivy style.
3. Carry too much heavy stuff like batteries and redundant food and water like me. If your slow, like me, that is a double whammy of death IMO.

I went back to a comfy pack (Talon 11) for an October ride on a CTR type route (1/2 Singletrack or so). My load was heavy, touring load. But I did better hikeabiking than in CTR. If the route is 30-50% ST, IMO one has to be a podium type to really go no backpack. for the rest of us the backpack makes us faster and healthier later in a singletrack event.

As Scott says above, leaving Silverton was tough for me too, as with no backpack, and me being slow to reach Mt Princeton 220 miles away, my bike weighed 60 lbs or more. My slow ass needed more food. But of course I made Princeton with 3-4lbs of food left? Dummmmmmb.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 12:29:25 PM by dream4est » Logged

Divide Bike Bags
  Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: