Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #20 on: December 28, 2013, 10:07:18 AM
Stefan_G

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2013, 10:07:18 AM »

Dang!  Was hoping for Durango just because already done it Den-Dur twice and I would have a free ride to Durango that weekend for a friend's Telluride Mountain Run.
Current plan of the moment is to alternate each year.  Start in Durango on the odd years.

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”
  -- frequently (mis)attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #21 on: December 28, 2013, 10:29:37 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2013, 10:29:37 AM »

Current plan of the moment is to alternate each year.  Start in Durango on the odd years.
Good plan!

Of course anyone can ride whichever way they want, whenever they want.

"Done"

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #22 on: December 28, 2013, 01:17:17 PM
KO

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2013, 01:17:17 PM »

Of course anyone can ride whichever way they want, whenever they want.

They most definitely can.  However, celebrating Christmas alone on the 22nd doesn't quite have the same feel as spending it with family on say, Christmas icon_biggrin.  I want to race, not ITT.

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #23 on: December 28, 2013, 03:42:28 PM
pbasinger

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2013, 03:42:28 PM »

Pretty stoney... A bit late, but it coincides with the full moon.  We could certainly change it if there is an overwhelming consensus here though.

Well, never going to make everyone happy.  If it comes to a vote, I would vote a week earlier, but that's for totally selfish reasons.

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #24 on: December 28, 2013, 07:07:19 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2013, 07:07:19 PM »

They most definitely can.  However, celebrating Christmas alone on the 22nd doesn't quite have the same feel as spending it with family on say, Christmas icon_biggrin.  I want to race, not ITT.
Yep, I've joined the mass start for my previous three efforts. Enjoyed the shared pain, and made some great friends along the way. Hard to beat that!

The ITT is still mighty attractive though. Something about truly having to do it myself, without any emotional support from other riders, is very alluring. I'm starting a new business in 2014, so I'll be lucky to get out there at all...

"Done"

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #25 on: December 29, 2013, 07:29:32 PM
KO

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2013, 07:29:32 PM »

Yep, I've joined the mass start for my previous three efforts. Enjoyed the shared pain, and made some great friends along the way. Hard to beat that!

The ITT is still mighty attractive though. Something about truly having to do it myself, without any emotional support from other riders, is very alluring. I'm starting a new business in 2014, so I'll be lucky to get out there at all...

I have the opposite experience.  Sorta.  Finished onced with a buddy and had to bail once after segment 17 cause another buddy have a broken rear derailleur hanger with no spare.  Would like to change it up this time around.  Not looking for the emotional support of others around me, but rather pushing myself harder because of others around me.

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #26 on: December 29, 2013, 09:16:03 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2013, 09:16:03 PM »

Not looking for the emotional support of others around me, but rather pushing myself harder because of others around me.
Seems that I tend to go faster and push harder when I've got people around me, too. So the question is whether I'd be able to overcome that limitation and find the motivation to ride just as hard alone. I'm not sure if I'll do an ITT or not, but answering that question would be a big part of the game. The unknown elements of the CTR are what make it worth repeating!

"Done"

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #27 on: December 30, 2013, 10:37:26 AM
KO

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2013, 10:37:26 AM »

So the question is whether I'd be able to overcome that limitation and find the motivation to ride just as hard alone.

I have trouble pushing myself hard when riding alone.  I take too many breaks for too long to soak it all in.  Something mental but just can't help it.

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #28 on: December 31, 2013, 08:21:40 PM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2013, 08:21:40 PM »

I want to do it in both directions again.  I think I'm not likely in the running for '14, though - so maybe '15 from hometown and '16 from Denver?  That's too far out to tell - I'm sure as soon as spring hits here I'll be rarin' to go...

I've gotta agree with Stefan and Toby on the "R" vs. tour.  Doesn't matter how fast you go during the CTR, so long as you're going as fast as YOU can go.  Otherwise just start a couple days on either side and ease the traffic. 

That said, I still don't think I've really pushed myself as absolutely hard as I could out there - although that's always an afterthought, never something I think during the race...

BEDROCK BAGS - Hand crafted, rock solid, made in the USA.  Established 2012.
www.bedrockbags.com

Ever since I began riding singlespeed my life has been on a path of self-destruction.

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #29 on: January 01, 2014, 11:56:30 AM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2014, 11:56:30 AM »

Race vs. ITT vs. Tour?

I say race, but how about a little fistbump for the 3 new resupply stops (2 in Breck- 1 in Leadville) that opened this morning at 8am!!!
I believe the elevation gain for the CTR just got a little higher Wink

edit- looks like Frisco also had a new resupply added this morning. Make that 4!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 02:47:08 PM by dream4est » Logged

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #30 on: January 01, 2014, 04:01:23 PM
DanHickstein

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2014, 04:01:23 PM »

I've started a few days before the race, done an ITT in the opposite direction, and raced with the pack. I thought that starting a few days early was actually the most motivating since you are frequently getting passed by fast people. When I raced with the pack, there were long stretches where everyone was moving at the same pace and I might not see anyone for the better part of a day.

But really, you cannot go wrong with the Colorado Trail - it's always fun. Touring would obviously be the most "fun" in a traditional sense, because you have time to take photos, sample the local restaurants and take a shower now and then. Each year that I do the race, I promise myself that I'll come back the next year and do the proper two-week tour with time to relax in each town. But, it's tough to take that much time off, so I keep coming back for the 7 day "race".

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #31 on: January 02, 2014, 07:26:17 AM
sherpaxc

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2014, 07:26:17 AM »

Race vs. ITT vs. Tour?

I say race, but how about a little fistbump for the 3 new resupply stops (2 in Breck- 1 in Leadville) that opened this morning at 8am!!!
I believe the elevation gain for the CTR just got a little higher Wink

edit- looks like Frisco also had a new resupply added this morning. Make that 4!
What are you referring to?

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #32 on: January 02, 2014, 07:42:23 AM
JosiahM

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2014, 07:42:23 AM »

I like 8-10 for the start date.
that way I can endure plenty of suffering at IM boulder on the 3rd before the ctr.
I have yet to start with the grand depart.  I have started both before and after the grand depart.  my suggestion would be to start a day or so before the mass start.
if you start too far ahead of the group, then the only people you see will be going too much faster than you for you to ride with them much.  if you start after the race, you may not see anyone and would miss out on the comradery altogether.
starting a day before the race will eliminate the crowded nerves at the start line and lend you to still be able to ride with some people close to your speed when they catch you half way through the ride.
my suggestions is whenever you do choose to ride, make sure to sign up for the CTR spot tracker so all the people who are unable to ride the route this year can still follow your progress and live vicariously through you and everyone else... plus family always worries when they can't see where you are and there in no sense putting extra stress on them.

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #33 on: January 02, 2014, 07:51:18 AM
Buttermilk

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2014, 07:51:18 AM »

my suggestions is whenever you do choose to ride, make sure to sign up for the CTR spot tracker...

...and send the Colorado Trail Foundation some cash for the great work and representation they do on our behalf.

Up & down on dirt & snow
I've got all my eggs in one basket

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #34 on: January 02, 2014, 08:52:17 AM
KootenayB

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2014, 08:52:17 AM »

Looks like the Breck Epic race is looking to again use part of Segment 6, this year on August 11, 2014.  Could this create issues for mid-to late-packers on their Day 2?

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #35 on: January 02, 2014, 08:55:40 AM
Mini Bear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2014, 08:55:40 AM »

What are you referring to?
Oh now, don't play coy...

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #36 on: January 02, 2014, 09:01:50 AM
Stefan_G

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2014, 09:01:50 AM »

Looks like the Breck Epic race is looking to again use part of Segment 6, this year on August 11, 2014.  Could this create issues for mid-to late-packers on their Day 2?
Ah, thanks for the heads up! Do you know if they close the trail to other riders during the Breck Epic?  If yes, the we definitely need to move the CTR...

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”
  -- frequently (mis)attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #37 on: January 02, 2014, 01:54:55 PM
KootenayB

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2014, 01:54:55 PM »

Sorry Stefan, I do not know if there is an associated trail closure.  From the Breck Epic website, it looks like they are still finalizing routes with the regulatory agencies, but as they are basically applying for same course as last year one speculates that they will get their approval.

I have friends who travel from Canada to do the Breck Epic every year, and they say the organization is great to deal with, so I'm guessing if you send off an email to them (to Mike Mac likely) you can get this kind of info.

I only put 2 and 2 together as I was thinking of bumming a ride down from Canada with some Breck Epic'ers so that I could do either or both the Breck Epic and the CTR (one dreams big around New Years! - before reality sets in).

Please let us know what you figure out...thanks!

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #38 on: January 02, 2014, 05:49:11 PM
AZLobo

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2014, 05:49:11 PM »

I cannot speak for Mike and the Breck Epic organization, but in two years of supporting a Breck racer and heading out to every part of that course there has never been any associated closure.

Some thoughts though.

That section of trail is entirely too popular for a closure, and Mike is a local so he gets it.

The Tarryall section will spread the field more than usual by that point, so not that much interaction.

Last Mike is so stoked about everything, if he knew CTR racers were coming he would put out the heads up to smooth the way.

Oh... and Mark my headset is feeling loose. Maybe I'll check it at one of the new establishments.

Topic Name: 2014 CTR Discussion Reply #39 on: January 03, 2014, 07:49:12 AM
Shirey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2014, 07:49:12 AM »

Ah, thanks for the heads up! Do you know if they close the trail to other riders during the Breck Epic?  If yes, the we definitely need to move the CTR...

I highly doubt there would be a closure.

During the Firecracker 50 and the Breck 100, both much busier races than the Epic, it was made clear in pre-race meetings that the entire course was open to recreational riders during the day.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: