Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2012 TDR LOI's Reply #80 on: April 10, 2012, 07:24:55 AM
DenisVTT

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2012, 07:24:55 AM »

forget the hotels - they make you soft-there is enough ground along the 2700 miles for more than 100 racers and stores are plentiful for restock if you don't stop more than once a day

True, except maybe (at least for me) in Canada and northern Montana, which is grizzly and bear country.

Is there enough ground for this guy and I? Probably, but first come first served and he was first!  icon_biggrin

- Denis aka Ze Diesel

Topic Name: 2012 TDR LOI's Reply #81 on: April 10, 2012, 08:16:20 AM
Beardog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2012, 08:16:20 AM »

I love the bears (that is why my nickname is what it is)--do not stress the bears-repeat-do not stress the bears- just be sensible and sleep with your back to a tree bike next to you with bearspray at hand with safety off-while riding I have encountered many grizz and simply blow my whistle (never leaves my neck until I reach AW) and if that is not enough I talk to them and tell them I need to share the trai--they usually doddle off into the bushes and you ride by-occassionally they growl at you but you are moving way too fast.

Beardog

Topic Name: 2012 TDR LOI's Reply #82 on: May 01, 2012, 08:04:32 PM
gt3457b

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2012, 08:04:32 PM »

I'm in for NoBO leaving from AW on June 8. Anyone have success arranging a shuttle to AW for the start?

Topic Name: 2012 TDR LOI's Reply #83 on: May 04, 2012, 06:29:23 AM
pgadola

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2012, 06:29:23 AM »

Wife supportive, hotel in Banff booked,name added to google doc...turning 40 on the ride and still nervous to tell my Mom.  See you all in 5 weeks.  Sweet.

Topic Name: 2012 TDR LOI's Reply #84 on: May 12, 2012, 06:32:25 AM
candrus

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2012, 06:32:25 AM »

I'm in for NoBO leaving from AW on June 8. Anyone have success arranging a shuttle to AW for the start?

I too am leaving from Antelope Wells on June 8 (or June 7 in the evening if the forecast the following day is for howling north winds temperature in the 100's) .  Jack and Jay at Gila Bike and Hike will know who to contact for a shuttle.  I'll give them a call today.  Drop me a note if you would like to coordinate on this (obscurus11 &at& gmail.com).

Topic Name: 2012 TDR LOI's Reply #85 on: May 12, 2012, 07:05:19 AM
Georg66

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2012, 07:05:19 AM »

I too am leaving from Antelope Wells on June 8 (or June 7 in the evening if the forecast the following day is for howling north winds temperature in the 100's) .  Jack and Jay at Gila Bike and Hike will know who to contact for a shuttle.  I'll give them a call today.  Drop me a note if you would like to coordinate on this (obscurus11 &at& gmail.com).
Hi Candrus,
it would be nice to know, if the shuttle solution is also suited for us SoBos to get back to civilization :-)
Maybe you could ask Gila Bike&Hike, what we should do in this case. THanks!

Private Homepage

pain is temporary - glory is forever

Topic Name: 2012 TDR LOI's Reply #86 on: May 12, 2012, 04:33:57 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2012, 04:33:57 PM »

We thought about having LOI's called into MTBCast but no one has done so to date. That said, anyone who would like to call in ahead of time can do so. It might be nice to get some information on what you're riding, your goals, SOBO/NOBO, etc. Feel free. I can compile these for a pre-race show. Either way, please avail yourself of the MTBCast call-in number. It's a good way for people to follow and hear how you're doing.

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: 2012 TDR LOI's Reply #87 on: May 13, 2012, 03:54:07 PM
candrus

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2012, 03:54:07 PM »

Hi Candrus,
it would be nice to know, if the shuttle solution is also suited for us SoBos to get back to civilization :-)
Maybe you could ask Gila Bike&Hike, what we should do in this case. THanks!
Contact Kat Daley at 575-313-2202 for a shuttle from Antelope Wells to Silver City.  She is a fan of the race, as are many other cyclists in Silver City.  Unfortunately, she hadn't realized that the group start for the race was June 8 or that anyone was starting from the south this year so she had scheduled something else.  However, she does have a notice out to others in the community to contact me if they want to run a shuttle to the border the evening of June 7 or early June 8.

Topic Name: 2012 TDR LOI's Reply #88 on: May 13, 2012, 04:04:26 PM
candrus

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 13, 2012, 04:04:26 PM »

Oh, I forgot to mention the obvious.  Silver City is a nice place to hang out but you have few options for leaving other than taking the bus (Greyhound's motto; "Let us lose your bike for you") or riding to Tucson (hot), Albuquerque (hot), or El Paso (hell).  The only other quick exit is to ride to Lordsburg or Demming where you can catch the train to go west (Tucson) or east (El Paso) to an airport.  Last time I checked the train didn't run everyday.   

Topic Name: 2012 TDR LOI's Reply #89 on: May 13, 2012, 09:25:14 PM
BigPoppa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2012, 09:25:14 PM »

Oh, I forgot to mention the obvious.  Silver City is a nice place to hang out but you have few options for leaving other than taking the bus (Greyhound's motto; "Let us lose your bike for you") or riding to Tucson (hot), Albuquerque (hot), or El Paso (hell).  The only other quick exit is to ride to Lordsburg or Demming where you can catch the train to go west (Tucson) or east (El Paso) to an airport.  Last time I checked the train didn't run everyday.   

You can also take the bus from Lordsburg or Deming. FYI, last year I talked my way onto the bus with my bike in one piece but in Phoenix I had to get off and get it boxed up.

Sunday cycles in Phoenix was awesome for that by the way!!!!

Topic Name: 2012 TDR LOI's Reply #90 on: May 17, 2012, 02:48:35 AM
mcmurv

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2012, 02:48:35 AM »

We thought about having LOI's called into MTBCast but no one has done so to date. That said, anyone who would like to call in ahead of time can do so. It might be nice to get some information on what you're riding, your goals, SOBO/NOBO, etc. Feel free. I can compile these for a pre-race show. Either way, please avail yourself of the MTBCast call-in number. It's a good way for people to follow and hear how you're doing.

MTBCast, You Rock! 

Hey folks!  MTBCast does this out the kindness of his heart and pocketbook.  Please throw him some bones to help offset his costs. 

Thanks! 

Topic Name: 2012 TDR LOI's Reply #91 on: May 19, 2012, 10:15:27 AM
DocTrike

Adventure & Ultra tricyclist.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: May 19, 2012, 10:15:27 AM »

Still no new trike yet, and my passport won't be hear for 2 weeks so I am officially delaying my attempt for this year. If anyone is doing a delayed ITT please message me if your interested in riding with someone.

Ultra Adventure Triker, Digital Nomad

Topic Name: 2012 TDR LOI's Reply #92 on: May 20, 2012, 06:52:53 PM
DenisVTT

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2012, 06:52:53 PM »

Couple of things about the TD Start List spreadsheet:

- Several of you have entered an N (No) in the ‘Emailed TD Site?’ column. If you haven't yet, please email tourdivide@gmail.com as soon as possible. I won’t do it for you and unless you want to ride stealth (no Spot tracking), TD needs to know who you are. If you have contacted TD and you still have an N, please change it to a Y.

- To Chris Bennett: You have a Y in the aforementioned column, but someone highlighted you as TD having no record for you. If you haven't done so yet, please contact tourdivide@gmail.com. If it’s all done, let me know and I’ll remove the comment.

- If you have contacted TD but haven't listed yourself in the TD Start List, feel free to do so at any time. There's nothing mandatory about it, but it gives us some cool stats (at least I think it’s cool)

- When you enter your name, enter yourself at the bottom of the spreadsheet (last row below the last name). There are several blank rows just for that.

- Do NOT enter your name at the top of the spreadsheet. Column titles are there and it’s not for new names.

- Do NOT attempt to sort the spreadsheet, ever! It’s the 3rd time in about a week that I have to do some major cleanup because someone attempted to sort the spreadsheet and messed it up badly, and it's a lot of work. Enter your name at the bottom and I’ll sort it for you. Thanks.

- To The Lone Ranger: Sorry, no fictional characters in the Start List. You're welcome to stay anonymous, just do not enter your name in that spreadsheet. Maybe some other spreadsheet, or do your own. This one kind of copies the Tour Divide model, and from what I can see, it’s only real names of real people who live in real towns that are in that list. Thanks.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ami9kLAhoE7GdHNKN2xQSTA4T0JiRmMxaUJlc01UbEE#gid=0

- Denis aka Ze Diesel

Topic Name: 2012 TDR LOI's Reply #93 on: May 20, 2012, 07:06:13 PM
DocTrike

Adventure & Ultra tricyclist.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: May 20, 2012, 07:06:13 PM »

I have updated my info on spread sheet, passport issues have required me to start later, and new bike still not here yet. I will try to make the Grand Depart of the GDR in Roosville, MT. this will come down to logistics.

Ultra Adventure Triker, Digital Nomad

Topic Name: 2012 TDR LOI's Reply #94 on: May 20, 2012, 08:45:19 PM
jryter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2012, 08:45:19 PM »

Couple of things about the TD Start List spreadsheet:

- Several of you have entered an N (No) in the ‘Emailed TD Site?’ column. If you haven't yet, please email tourdivide@gmail.com as soon as possible. I won’t do it for you and unless you want to ride stealth (no Spot tracking), TD needs to know who you are. If you have contacted TD and you still have an N, please change it to a Y.

- To Chris Bennett: You have a Y in the aforementioned column, but someone highlighted you as TD having no record for you. If you haven't done so yet, please contact tourdivide@gmail.com. If it’s all done, let me know and I’ll remove the comment.

- If you have contacted TD but haven't listed yourself in the TD Start List, feel free to do so at any time. There's nothing mandatory about it, but it gives us some cool stats (at least I think it’s cool)

- When you enter your name, enter yourself at the bottom of the spreadsheet (last row below the last name). There are several blank rows just for that.

- Do NOT enter your name at the top of the spreadsheet. Column titles are there and it’s not for new names.

- Do NOT attempt to sort the spreadsheet, ever! It’s the 3rd time in about a week that I have to do some major cleanup because someone attempted to sort the spreadsheet and messed it up badly, and it's a lot of work. Enter your name at the bottom and I’ll sort it for you. Thanks.

- To The Lone Ranger: Sorry, no fictional characters in the Start List. You're welcome to stay anonymous, just do not enter your name in that spreadsheet. Maybe some other spreadsheet, or do your own. This one kind of copies the Tour Divide model, and from what I can see, it’s only real names of real people who live in real towns that are in that list. Thanks.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ami9kLAhoE7GdHNKN2xQSTA4T0JiRmMxaUJlc01UbEE#gid=0

For future reference you can make a form for others to fill out on google docs that will add data to your spreadsheet and you can make the spreadsheet uneditable by others.....but they can look at.

Topic Name: 2012 TDR LOI's Reply #95 on: May 20, 2012, 09:44:26 PM
DenisVTT

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 20, 2012, 09:44:26 PM »

For future reference you can make a form for others to fill out on google docs that will add data to your spreadsheet and you can make the spreadsheet uneditable by others.....but they can look at.

Good point. Thanks.

- Denis aka Ze Diesel

Topic Name: 2012 TDR LOI's Reply #96 on: May 23, 2012, 11:25:15 PM
JpariZ

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 23, 2012, 11:25:15 PM »

So, totally doing this on a whim.  Will make my decision tomorrow for sure and will send in my email and add my name to the spread sheet if i do. Had a few questions though.
1) Will there be maps available for purchase at the start?
2)Can someone attach a gear list link? (im sure there are plenty on this forum)
3)Will be driving in and wanted some ideas on travel back to Banff.

Broke, Just graduated, 23yo, and dumb as hell....Obviously. But, this might be the best opportunity i will have for something like this.  My wife will be gone for Navy business for the next 2 to 3 months and I have some free time.  Can't think of a better way to spend it.

Topic Name: 2012 TDR LOI's Reply #97 on: May 23, 2012, 11:36:47 PM
groundedkiwi

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2012, 11:36:47 PM »

So, totally doing this on a whim.  Will make my decision tomorrow for sure and will send in my email and add my name to the spread sheet if i do. Had a few questions though.

No.  Try www.adventurecycling.org

Sorry, I don't have one.

I guess you could turn around and bike back!.....but if you're tired, catch a ride to Phoenix, AZ and fly on WestJet back to Calgary.  Or USAirways, but they'll cream you if you want your bike to go with you.

Good Luck!

Broke, Just graduated, 23yo, and dumb as hell....Obviously. But, this might be the best opportunity i will have for something like this.  My wife will be gone for Navy business for the next 2 to 3 months and I have some free time.  Can't think of a better way to spend it.

Topic Name: 2012 TDR LOI's Reply #98 on: May 24, 2012, 05:46:38 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 24, 2012, 05:46:38 AM »

So, totally doing this on a whim.  Will make my decision tomorrow for sure and will send in my email and add my name to the spread sheet if i do. Had a few questions though.

Broke, Just graduated, 23yo, and dumb as hell....Obviously. But, this might be the best opportunity i will have for something like this.  My wife will be gone for Navy business for the next 2 to 3 months and I have some free time.  Can't think of a better way to spend it.

1)  Nope, you have to get the maps in advance from Adventure Cycling.  They also sell the map cues separately for a few bucks, but you have to format them yourself - the cues are emailed to you.  Some guys go GPS only - no maps.  topofusion.com has the official route gps track.

2) http://gdrquest.com/gear-list/
http://beyondthebadgeblog.blogspot.com/2011/12/tour-divide-review-part-2-of-3.html
Matthew Lee's advice, from Ride the Divide, is take what you would normally take for a day ride and add your camping kit.

3)  Fly or Greyhound (once you get back north a bit from the border).  There should be shuttles coming through Antelope Wells or you can arrange something through Gila Hike and Bike as you come through Silver City.

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: 2012 TDR LOI's Reply #99 on: May 24, 2012, 07:53:18 AM
JpariZ

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2012, 07:53:18 AM »

Thanks for the quick response.  I think i might be able to order the maps and have them in by then but i'll be using a Garman Etrex GPS.  Has anybody used one of these in the past? A 200-300$ 3 hour flight sounds a lot better than a 185$ 2&1/2 day greyhound trip. 
Spent most of the night planing this thing but ran into a couple more questions.

1st of all, would a 1,000 dollar budget, ready to go, be doable?
As far as parking around the area in Banff, is there any that others have used in the past?
If there are close to 100 ppl doing this race, could i just follow the tire tracks?

I'm not slow and have done a few Ironman races as well as a 100 mile run but would like to maybe stretch this thing out to 30 days.  The budget is the most important thing here.  It is my only limiting factor.  I am cool with camping out the entire time and almost would prefer it. (at the moment).  I have most of the main gear and only will need to spend maybe another 100$ to prep for the rest.   

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: