Pages: 1 [2]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Sleep conditions for Tour Divide Race Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 01:15:41 AM
BigPoppa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 01:15:41 AM »

do you regret not using a pad?

I used only a custom torso length neo air that I made. I regret not having a longer one. Sleeping on the rough ground was pretty tough, especially towards the end of the race.

If I do it again, my goal will be to not hotel at all. I would take a longer neo air then. The savings of roughly 4 oz would be worth the weight penalty, since you would gain several extra miles per day by not hoteling it.

Topic Name: Sleep conditions for Tour Divide Race Reply #21 on: April 03, 2012, 12:17:23 AM
Georg66

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2012, 12:17:23 AM »

I used only a custom torso length neo air that I made. I regret not having a longer one. Sleeping on the rough ground was pretty tough, especially towards the end of the race.

If I do it again, my goal will be to not hotel at all. I would take a longer neo air then. The savings of roughly 4 oz would be worth the weight penalty, since you would gain several extra miles per day by not hoteling it.

In the alps I used a thermarest z-lite, which I cut in two halfs for putting it on the bike/rucksack (using velcro strips to put them together for sleeping). Worked very well. Look here: http://www.kgdeck.de/alpenx/

Private Homepage

pain is temporary - glory is forever

Topic Name: Sleep conditions for Tour Divide Race Reply #22 on: April 14, 2012, 09:53:09 PM
rooster14

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2012, 09:53:09 PM »

alright, i have been spending some days considering my sleep kit again and again.  i just think my current bag is going to be way too hot (marmot pinnacle 15) and heavy for how much i will hate it when the weather gets a bit warmer.

i need some opinions.  

heavily considering the following setup options

hyalite peak elite ac
sea to summit reactor liner

and on the fence looking at these sleeping bags

deuter dreamlite 500 (synthetic)
lafuma warm n light 600 (600 loft down)
...both bags weigh pretty similar, price is pretty similar.

anyone have any experience with either? any other recommendation?  I am not able to spend the 200+ on a new warmer weather bag so price is a major factor in the decision.  along with this i plan on having a down vest...before buying these things do you think i will be warm enough?

and mylar blanket as an emergency backup.  
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 07:48:53 AM by rooster14 » Logged

ships are safe in the harbor but that is not what ships are for.

Topic Name: Sleep conditions for Tour Divide Race Reply #23 on: April 15, 2012, 09:34:48 AM
phil_rad

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2012, 09:34:48 AM »

I never used either of those bags, so I can't help you there. Are you a member at REI? If so then check this out: http://www.rei.com/search?cat=4500001_Sleeping+Bags&jxTemperature+rating+%28F%29=40^59&hist=cat%2C4500001_Sleeping+Bags%3ASleeping+Bags^jxTemperature+rating+%28F%29%2C40~59&range=jxTemperature+rating+%28F%29

Maybe there's something for you.

Pages: 1 [2]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: