Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 62
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #100 on: October 20, 2010, 05:15:13 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2010, 05:15:13 PM »

great posts marshal. I wish i had that list to prepare for the TD. I did not prepare well for my go at it. before the race I didn't open any map past montana. my lack of route knowledge definitely tacked on a few days. eric i totally agree that adaptation is huge when you are on the route. sometimes i feel the td is not only a race but a test of character. if you are stubborn and can put up with a lot of $h!t you'll do just fine.
I also agree with Eric, adaptation is truly a key factor, and being stubborn comes in handy also.  

But I see adaptation, or flexibility (also all the other mental stuff--mental toughness and character etc) as being something you are more willing to do and better able to do with a solid foundation.

But all the mental aspects are sort of a chicken and egg argument.  You could argue that being adaptable and flexible helps maintain your motivation or exactly visa versa.  

But I view the mental side of the TDR equation like this--for example: The better you do in building layers 1-4 that more willing and effective you will be when you are forced to adapt to changing race circumstances.  

Or look at it this way: We are all pretty much ‘equally’ capable of being highly flexible, adaptable, mentally tough etc etc.  That’s just part of being human, but some prove to be better at the mental side of things during the race than others—why—assuming focus and motivation hold and baring good or bad luck-- because they have more experience, more study, more practice etc—all 1-4 layer stuff.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 11:02:47 PM by trail717 » Logged

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #101 on: October 20, 2010, 05:47:38 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: October 20, 2010, 05:47:38 PM »

Bravo for breaking it down in such a logical way.  This method speaks to me loud and clear.

Do you see a clear dividing line between layers 1-4 and 5, 6?  Prep and race execution is how it looks to my eye.  To keep with the pyramid structure you could use colors as a differentiator. 

Ya, this is just a mental road map.  It’s just basic linear logic, which appeals to some but might be totally the wrong approach for others.

I do see a clear dividing line or ‘plane’ separating layers 1-4 and 5-6.  However the more I examine my own TDR memories the more I see all sorts of subtle connections that pierce that plane of separation, and bolt all the layers firmly together. 

One small example, I studied the route quite extensively, layer 4, so as to make good re-supply choices.  But I found almost daily motivation, layer 6, excitement if you will, as I approached some place or section that I had read about.  Maybe a summit, a tricky turn in the route, a hotel or restaurant where someone from the 08 or 09 race had stopped and posted about.  I was constantly interested in and curiosity about how reality would or would not line up with my pre-conceived notions that I developed during my route study. 

Along this line, one of my minor disappointments was missing out on seeing the section the fire-detour skipped.  Many had posted up about that section form earlier yrs and I had lots of curiosity, even some trepidation all tied in with a ‘plan’ for that section.  And if one of next yrs NM work trips allow I might even go ride just that one section.

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #102 on: October 20, 2010, 06:05:44 PM
Slowerthensnot

Have fun and go far

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: October 20, 2010, 06:05:44 PM »

Ya, this is just a mental road map.  It’s just basic linear logic, which appeals to some but might be totally the wrong approach for others.

I do see a clear dividing line or ‘plane’ separating layers 1-4 and 5-6.  However the more I examine my own TDR memories the more I see all sorts of subtle connections that pierce that plane of separation, and bolt all the layers firmly together. 

One small example, I studied the route quite extensively, layer 4, so as to make good re-supply choices.  But I found almost daily motivation, layer 6, excitement if you will, as I approached some place or section that I had read about.  Maybe a summit, a tricky turn in the route, a hotel or restaurant where someone from the 08 or 09 race had stopped and posted about.  I was constantly interested in and curiosity about how reality would or would not line up with my pre-conceived notions that I developed during my route study. 

Along this line, one of my minor disappointments was missing out on seeing the section the fire-detour skipped.  Many had posted up about that section form earlier yrs and I had lots of curiosity, even some trepidation all tied in with a ‘plan’ for that section.  And if one of next yrs NM work trips allow I might even go ride just that one section.

Its a good one M!

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #103 on: October 21, 2010, 07:07:05 AM
Jeff Tomassetti

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 21, 2010, 07:07:05 AM »

As far as route knowledge goes, did you put information to memory or did you write down specifics, like water and food locations or did you mark them on the map?

Jeff Tomassetti

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #104 on: October 21, 2010, 11:01:23 AM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: October 21, 2010, 11:01:23 AM »

As far as route knowledge goes, did you put information to memory or did you write down specifics, like water and food locations or did you mark them on the map?
memory plus 20 home made profiles (see attached), I did not carry the maps

the profiles were coded to show key water, food, pavement sections etc etc

* Profile.emf (140.67 KB - downloaded 206 times.)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 11:44:29 AM by trail717 » Logged

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #105 on: October 21, 2010, 12:17:36 PM
Jeff Tomassetti

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 21, 2010, 12:17:36 PM »

Gee, those are "home made" ? WOW!

Jeff Tomassetti

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #106 on: October 24, 2010, 10:59:09 AM
Singlespeedpunk

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 24, 2010, 10:59:09 AM »

Well I have finished the first endurance event....transposing all direction change queues from N > S to S > N Smiley also added in lots of use full info from the map (water sources, off route cafes etc...) Between that and the GPS I whould not be reaching for the maps too often! Interesting using the distance between services to map out the days...

"...and yeah this fixie thing is pretty bomber" mc

www.fixedisfucked.blogspot.com

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #107 on: October 24, 2010, 01:17:05 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: October 24, 2010, 01:17:05 PM »

Interesting using the distance between services to map out the days...

Before the race I spent allot of time studying Topofusion generated elevations http://topofusion.com/ , route info from the maps, books, blogs etc combined with Spot data from prior racers. 

When guesstimating where I might re-supply, sleep etc I tended to focus on the Spot data generated by the mid pack racers.  I used Jill Homer’s race data as my miles/day base line.  I felt I would be able hold a similar pace.  Jill’s race is also well documented, her account is a fun read and has lots of logistical nuggets.  http://arcticglass.blogspot.com/2009/07/canada.html

Using all this guesstmate info for my first set of TopoFusion generated profile sheets it came out at 24 profiles or race days.  My final set, using some stretch goals, wound up at 20. Also 20 profiles fit quite nicely on two 8.5x11 sheets, 5 profiles per side. 

During the actual race I would study my profile sheet for a few minutes each night and develop a plan for the next day.  During the day I might dig out the sheet during a break and re-evaluate as needed.  On a handful of occasions, when I was around other racers with maps we tended to focus on the profile sheet.

The fact that I had 20 profiles, 5 per side also gave me some daily, weekly and overall motivations.  If I came close or met my stretch goals I was pleased with my progress. When I finished with the first 5 profiles and got to flip the page over there was a huge psychological boost.  When I got to the second sheet, about 1/2way done, just outside of Rawlins I was high as a kite.  When I got to the last 5 profiles I just knew, baring catastrophe, I was going to actually get it done, and in good time.

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #108 on: October 27, 2010, 04:17:06 PM
Spoonie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: October 27, 2010, 04:17:06 PM »

memory plus 20 home made profiles (see attached), I did not carry the maps

Do the maps have the elevation profiles on them?  in hindsight, I've realised having the profiles is often a great motivational boost for me in a "only 50m's of vert..." or "only one more peak for the day" kind of way...   something you don't get the same kind of feel for with a few squiggly lines on a page...

2nd question, do the maps change frequently? am I better getting them sooner or later? 

Cheers
Craig

Solo-Nutter (defn): A member of an elite breed of hardened idiot...
SpoonBoy

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #109 on: October 27, 2010, 06:47:27 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: October 27, 2010, 06:47:27 PM »

Do the maps have the elevation profiles on them?  in hindsight, I've realised having the profiles is often a great motivational boost for me in a "only 50m's of vert..." or "only one more peak for the day" kind of way...   something you don't get the same kind of feel for with a few squiggly lines on a page...

2nd question, do the maps change frequently? am I better getting them sooner or later?  

Cheers
Craig
The maps do have profiles!!  So if you are going to carry the maps you are set.  If you want to save some’ map time’ just use a permanent marker and add any additional waypoint data for quick ‘available at a glance’.

I think a earlier post said that the current map set is good for 2011.  But a quick email to ACA would make 100% sure.

Imo if you plan on racing the 2011 TDR the sooner you get the maps the better.  During my route prep I enjoyed reading TDR blogs and forum posts in conjunction with my map set, helped me lock in some key route details and brought some of the comments to life. 

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #110 on: October 27, 2010, 09:55:37 PM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 27, 2010, 09:55:37 PM »

Imo if you plan on racing the 2011 TDR the sooner you get the maps the better. 
Sorry to put a damper on prospective TD`11 challengers' autumn map parties but aca does plan to redo several of the GDMBR maps in the spring.

I only know details of two of the changes; one that won't affect racers (cuba to grants main route), and one in the gila NF that will. these changes *may* be available in electronic form a bit earlier than in map form--not sure. it would be considerate of aca to publish a tentative revisions schedule for all its maps, but perhaps they have enough on their plate already.

note: the gila NF revision is compliments of the TD mapping dept., and includes 7 new miles of delicious cdt singletrack on the way into silver city. woot!

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #111 on: October 27, 2010, 10:58:46 PM
Singlespeedpunk

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 27, 2010, 10:58:46 PM »

Thanks for the update Matthew, I only heard about the planned revision after I ordered the maps but I intend to base most of my navigation on GPS and personal cue cards...both of which can be easily changed.

Is that 7 extra miles of singletrack or 7 miles of tail that are now on singletrack? A whole 7 extra miles might be the deal breaker! Wink

Alex

"...and yeah this fixie thing is pretty bomber" mc

www.fixedisfucked.blogspot.com

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #112 on: October 28, 2010, 07:28:55 AM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 28, 2010, 07:28:55 AM »

Is that 7 extra miles of singletrack or 7 miles of tail that are now on singletrack? A whole 7 extra miles might be the deal breaker! Wink
new route is actually 1 mi shorter but now includes a campground with water at 5mi., singletrack cdt begins there, and contours/climbs for 7mi in typical Gila terrain. it's classic imba-style bench cut with only 2 hike-a-bikes (for tired bikepackers). this dumps you out on a fireroad (the only mud potential), which carries you up to NM15 (the tour of the Gila race course), over old mining outpost Pinos Altos, and downhill 7mi of pave into Silver. It's much improved to Hwy 180. folks should love it.

For the future, there are also 40+mi of additional singletrack cdt coming into Silver should we want more.

here's the reroute map" http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=106704007933562457636.000492ee51f197e39cf1c&t=h&z=10

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #113 on: October 28, 2010, 08:12:53 AM
trebor

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 28, 2010, 08:12:53 AM »

The thought of adding singletrack is both exciting and frightening. Singletrack is always a welcome site, but to have to ride it when fatigued and conditioned to dirt roads sparks this little ember of of anxiety in the pit of my belly.

All I can say as a virgin to the route is, I can't wait to see it!

HURRY UP JUNE!

Rob Roberts

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #114 on: October 28, 2010, 08:34:19 AM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 28, 2010, 08:34:19 AM »

Singletrack is always a welcome site, but to have to ride it when fatigued and conditioned to dirt roads sparks this little ember of of anxiety in the pit of my belly.
Rob, having raced with you at TNGA, you have nothing to worry about. Besides, NM fire roads are notoriously rough; especially Rocky canyon immediately preceding the Sapillo (new CDT singletrack). You'll be conditioned.

One of TD's long term missions is to (where available) thoughtfully replace sections of GDMBR pavement with quality fire road, and/or small sections of fire road with not-too-arduous singletrack (Wigwam River/Galton Pass, Canada bushwhack notwithstanding). And preferably on the CDT. Fortunately ACA trusts in our years of collective route knowledge, is happy to let us evolve the route so long as we don't get crazy with it.

On the horizon: Gold Dust Trail off Boreas Pass (Breckenridge) into Como, Colorado. It trades ~10mi of Boreas Pass railroad grade downhill for 8mi of legendary downhill singletrack.
Here's one description for the curious: I Found Gold

The only twist with Gold Dust is it's not great bidirectionally (drops nearly 2k); probably for Southbounders only, not required of Northbounders--which seems fine as long as challengers are consistent about it. See reroute map here

Above: One of several high-speed 'flume trail' sections of GD. Below: Aspen glade, edge of Como

Special thanks to Alma, CO (local) Josh Tostado for this reroute suggestion.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 06:26:34 AM by Mathewsen » Logged

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #115 on: November 04, 2010, 04:19:16 AM
Nathan Jones

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: November 04, 2010, 04:19:16 AM »

Anybody from the OR/WA (cascadia!) area looking to ride to up to Banff next year?  Don't know if Kent is going to give it another go round.  I'm planning on riding up from Portland.  It would be cool to hook up with somebody for the ride in.  Anyway, I'm super stoked to see the north end of the route and other goofball TDrs.  Here's to a dry year of divide racing! occasion14

Nathan

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #116 on: November 04, 2010, 06:25:30 PM
Maelgwn

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 04, 2010, 06:25:30 PM »

Anybody from the OR/WA (cascadia!) area looking to ride to up to Banff next year?  Don't know if Kent is going to give it another go round.  I'm planning on riding up from Portland.  It would be cool to hook up with somebody for the ride in.  Anyway, I'm super stoked to see the north end of the route and other goofball TDrs.  Here's to a dry year of divide racing! occasion14

Nathan

From the sound of Kent's blog, he is not too keen on racing. He has decided touring and slow days are more his style.

Congrats on the finish of Great Divide this year  thumbsup

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #117 on: November 04, 2010, 10:45:18 PM
Nathan Jones

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: November 04, 2010, 10:45:18 PM »

Hey yeah, can't blame him, seems pointless sometimes.  Thanks, I was slow but I made it, it was a little lonely!  Looking forward to cruising with a pack at least for a little while.

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #118 on: November 05, 2010, 07:48:03 AM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 05, 2010, 07:48:03 AM »

Hey yeah, can't blame him, seems pointless sometimes.
It might seem that way if you don't match racing miles with quality non-racing (bikepacking) miles. In the end, racing exists mostly just for ceremony to honor the tourista/commuter/explorer at the heart of our dirty wanderlust.

Something tells me Kent will be back one day. For `11, i think his program is more about dedicating that time away to touring part of the route with his wife than it is about 'giving up racing'.

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #119 on: November 07, 2010, 07:25:05 AM
krefs

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 07, 2010, 07:25:05 AM »

I like this Gila reroute - those miles on 160 were a huge downer after popping out of the remote Gila.  Some singletrack at the very end of that section will be a great reward, especially knowing that there are burritos just down the hill on the other side!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 62
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: