Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 62
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #40 on: October 11, 2010, 08:49:19 AM
Singlespeedpunk

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2010, 08:49:19 AM »

Ah...just orderd the full set last night! I guess I will have to amend the 6 US maps with any changes.

I plan on using a GPS with the route on it and have the maps / cycle computer as a back up. GPS is much quicker to glance at and make sure the arrow is still following the marked track and to see but left / right turns coming up.

On a lighter note the latest bit of gear has arrived in the shape of a shemagh (arab scarf) for keeping the sun off my head and neck in NM and doubling as a towel, rag, whatever during the trip. On hearing the stories of people being threatened because they are wearing lycra I think a big GB flag on the back pack might be an idea so I don't get mistaken for a member of the Dakadakastan Cycling Team nono

SSP

"...and yeah this fixie thing is pretty bomber" mc

www.fixedisfucked.blogspot.com

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #41 on: October 11, 2010, 09:37:42 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2010, 09:37:42 AM »

On hearing the stories of people being threatened because they are wearing lycra I think a big GB flag on the back pack might be an idea so I don't get mistaken for a member of the Dakadakastan Cycling Team nono
That's assuming that the type of person who would heckle you for wearing lycra would even recognize a Union Jack as coming from somewhere other than Dakadakastan!

"Done"

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #42 on: October 11, 2010, 11:09:03 AM
Singlespeedpunk

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2010, 11:09:03 AM »

That's assuming that the type of person who would heckle you for wearing lycra would even recognize a Union Jack as coming from somewhere other than Dakadakastan!

Well I guess that's what the Bear Spray is for Wink I fully expect some "rag head" comments but it's odd that the only people I see in the UK with them are soldiers back from Afghanistan and no one shouts abuse at them (well not twice!)

SSP

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #43 on: October 11, 2010, 08:05:40 PM
Slowerthensnot

Have fun and go far

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2010, 08:05:40 PM »

Ah...just orderd the full set last night! I guess I will have to amend the 6 US maps with any changes.

I plan on using a GPS with the route on it and have the maps / cycle computer as a back up. GPS is much quicker to glance at and make sure the arrow is still following the marked track and to see but left / right turns coming up.

On a lighter note the latest bit of gear has arrived in the shape of a shemagh (arab scarf) for keeping the sun off my head and neck in NM and doubling as a towel, rag, whatever during the trip. On hearing the stories of people being threatened because they are wearing lycra I think a big GB flag on the back pack might be an idea so I don't get mistaken for a member of the Dakadakastan Cycling Team nono

SSP

well maybe I should order that util-kilt then http://www.utilikilts.com/  Wink take the target off the foreigner

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #44 on: October 11, 2010, 08:43:43 PM
Chad B

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2010, 08:43:43 PM »

This thread makes me laugh.... I need to subscribe to it so I can read all the things that are said here.

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #45 on: October 11, 2010, 08:56:02 PM
Slowerthensnot

Have fun and go far

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2010, 08:56:02 PM »

This thread makes me laugh.... I need to subscribe to it so I can read all the things that are said here.

glad to help keep you amused C!

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #46 on: October 12, 2010, 03:17:55 AM
Kevin Montgomery

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2010, 03:17:55 AM »

I'm not making a final decision until April, but as of right now, I'm intending on rolling out of Banff.

Been talking for a while how it would be great to start from AW.  Banff has always seemed like more of a "destination" to me, plus I just think it would be cool to meet the riders going the other direction.  12:00 pm would be a perfect start time.  I'm game!

This point gets brought up every year, but to summarize: AW has no significant services/food and doesn't make for an accommodating pre-race venue.  By the time you get to the end, all you'll want to do is go home and not spend a lot of time in your terminal city.  The opinion held by many is that Banff is a much nicer place to spend a few days before the race than AW.   That said, the s->n start is still attractive, especially if you have started from Banff but never made it to AW. (guaranteed new trail).

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #47 on: October 12, 2010, 08:46:14 AM
Jeff Tomassetti

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2010, 08:46:14 AM »

Also, I assume there are no S>N cue sheets.

Jeff Tomassetti

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #48 on: October 12, 2010, 09:01:43 AM
robinb

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2010, 09:01:43 AM »

Also, I assume there are no S>N cue sheets.

if you have a bike computer with the navigate function (i used the vdo brand). it allows you to set your trip odo manually and have it count forward or backward.  for s-n just set your trip odo to the according mileage at the end of the cue sheet, then set it to count down (backwards) - and you are set.  of course while making the DIY cues, you will have to know all your turns are reversed!

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #49 on: October 12, 2010, 01:04:25 PM
Singlespeedpunk

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2010, 01:04:25 PM »

if you have a bike computer with the navigate function (i used the vdo brand). it allows you to set your trip odo manually and have it count forward or backward.  for s-n just set your trip odo to the according mileage at the end of the cue sheet, then set it to count down (backwards) - and you are set.  of course while making the DIY cues, you will have to know all your turns are reversed!

I am looking at getting the course cues from ACA and pasting into an Excel spreadsheet, auto replacing left and right with the oposite and reversing them / the mileage. Trick is getting the sheet set up to do this the first time and then keep feeding them in! Yeah, I work in IT don't hate me Smiley

As to starting in AW I would rather navigate the tricky trip / logistics to get out there fresh and make a start north as it is motivation. As to ending up in Banff I hope to meet the wife there 25-27days later and relax / sight see / not ride the bike for a few days before going back to the grindstone Wink But that's just me and how I roll Smiley

Alex

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #50 on: October 12, 2010, 06:32:08 PM
longman

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2010, 06:32:08 PM »

Sat outside the gas station in Lima Montana on my solo tour last year, a bloke comes up to me and after seeing the Union Jack patch sewn to my pannier asks "Are you from Canada?". He never mentioned my lycra.

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #51 on: October 13, 2010, 07:11:25 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2010, 07:11:25 AM »

Sat outside the gas station in Lima Montana on my solo tour last year, a bloke comes up to me and after seeing the Union Jack patch sewn to my pannier asks "Are you from Canada?". He never mentioned my lycra.
Dakadakastan, Canadastan, whateverstan...

"Done"

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #52 on: October 13, 2010, 10:39:16 AM
annoying crack

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2010, 10:39:16 AM »

Hmmm, looks like I might be in for this too this year. North to South. Better start reading all those 50+ pages of this years thread...  icon_scratch

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #53 on: October 13, 2010, 08:53:17 PM
Roland Sturm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2010, 08:53:17 PM »

*raises hand* Thinking hard about AW to Banff next year.
Me, too. Especially if the park service does not want a big groups and the organizers have to deal with 100 people peloton in Banff (no idea if there might be a movie effect next year). One less person there.

However, as a TD race rookie (my route experience is touring Wyoming and Colorado largely following the book), it would be nice to have a (not-so-) grand depart in AW, including some veteran racers. Aside from giving a bit more cachet to an AW start, will be good for speed (especially an expected 30-dayer like me). Also a bit of pre-race discussions with veterans can easily avoid rookie mistakes (and reduce DNF rates and relegations).

Roland Sturm
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 07:56:06 AM by fiddlefestival » Logged

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #54 on: October 14, 2010, 10:16:29 AM
Singlespeedpunk

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2010, 10:16:29 AM »

Me, too. Especially if the park service does not want a big groups and the organizers have to deal with 100 people peloton in Banff (no idea if there might be a movie effect next year). One less person there.

However, as a TD race rookie (my route experience is touring Wyoming and Colorado largely following the book), it would be nice to have a (not-so-) grand depart in AW, including some veteran racers. Aside from giving a bit more cachet to an AW start, will be good for speed (especially an expected 30-dayer like me). Also a bit of pre-race discussions with veterans can easily avoid rookie mistakes (and reduce DNF rates and relegations).

There is lots of great info on here (50+ page thread) and some stuff on MTBR.com if you search. The best way to avoid a DNF is to practice plenty beforehand...not just by doing big miles but by making 2-3day trips out somewhere and getting used to sleeping out, waking at 4am and riding 3hrs before breakfast...that is the stuff that will make the difference. It will also make sure you know what kits works and what does not, and stuff you can do with out.

Not that training 100 miles a day for a week won't help a bit!

Alex

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #55 on: October 14, 2010, 11:01:04 AM
jimfab

Are those new slacks?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2010, 11:01:04 AM »

Mr. SS punk is right, there is no substitute for experience but it is almost priceless to sit down and talk to others with experience in this event before hand. Last year i did everything as Mr. SS punk described including many overnighters and 3-400 mile weeks on ST trails. However i have to say i learned the most the 2 days before the event in Banff talking with everybody else about there gear and experiences. I have no doubt that if  i had that info before the trip i would have made it much further than I did. It is hard to explain in an E format how difficult the mental game is on this ride. And this ride will tell you allot about yourself that you never knew. It is one thing to be tough minded like i thought i was, but try to continue on when you bonked 5 hours ago and you still have 40 miles and 8K of climbing on a snow covered pass in grizzly country in the dark with nobody to talk to and a dead I-pod till the next service x 17-31 days al the while haunted by memories of your wife, friends, pets, home. Again it is HARD or impossible to explain on an E format. I would say the best training for this ride would be some kind of CIA / Jedi anti interrogation training or something. Like i say, i thought i was tough, I caved in 3 days. This is why i want to try again so bad, not to test my resolve, but to further improve it. Not a bad way to see some great country either.

Rock- JF

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #56 on: October 14, 2010, 11:50:12 AM
Singlespeedpunk

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2010, 11:50:12 AM »

Well I am planning on flying in to Phoenix and will be glad to sit and listen to any vetrans, hell any one, prior to zero hour.

As to the training thing for mental toughness some meditation can help to make sure you are centered and less likely to see-saw between extremes of emotions (my big failing any way, let alone on tough trips) and some practice and visulisation of bad situations and how you will get through it.

The mental prep is the hardest part for me as not much on the web about it, so any information from other sources who have been there / done that has been highly appreciated. Some great idea for coping with loneleiness on this great blog - http://www.1gear1cause.org/?q=content/what-alone

Living near South Wales I wonder if I can sign up for the SAS escape and evasion course as prep for the TD? Wink

Alex / SSP

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #57 on: October 14, 2010, 01:48:27 PM
Slowerthensnot

Have fun and go far

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2010, 01:48:27 PM »

Well I am planning on flying in to Phoenix and will be glad to sit and listen to any vetrans, hell any one, prior to zero hour.

As to the training thing for mental toughness some meditation can help to make sure you are centered and less likely to see-saw between extremes of emotions (my big failing any way, let alone on tough trips) and some practice and visulisation of bad situations and how you will get through it.

The mental prep is the hardest part for me as not much on the web about it, so any information from other sources who have been there / done that has been highly appreciated. Some great idea for coping with loneleiness on this great blog - http://www.1gear1cause.org/?q=content/what-alone

Living near South Wales I wonder if I can sign up for the SAS escape and evasion course as prep for the TD? Wink

Alex / SSP

Or get stuck in a mine Chile?

or this is a mouthfull from nasa http://lsda.jsc.nasa.gov/books/ground/chambers.pdf

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #58 on: October 14, 2010, 05:49:29 PM
jimfab

Are those new slacks?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2010, 05:49:29 PM »

Found this
Great Divide Mountain Bike Route Part 1
details of a s to N journey.

Cheers- JF

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #59 on: October 14, 2010, 11:47:04 PM
scott-australia

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2010, 11:47:04 PM »

Well I am planning on flying in to Phoenix and will be glad to sit and listen to any vetrans, hell any one, prior to zero hour

Have you planned / worked out the best way to get from Phoenix to AW?
  Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 62
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: