Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 62
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #1080 on: June 01, 2011, 04:27:44 PM
Nathan Jones

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1080 on: June 01, 2011, 04:27:44 PM »

The minstrel/Chinook-like winds in South Park that were blowing me literally off my bike proved way more spirit crushing - going 4 mph on HW 24, hoping to get water and food in Hartsel.

That road is horrible, I hit that one last year the day before the 4th of July and the traffic was insane.  I was actually run off the ride by people with bikes on the back of their SUV, unreal.  And yes, the winds were insane too!

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #1081 on: June 01, 2011, 04:31:03 PM
BigPoppa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1081 on: June 01, 2011, 04:31:03 PM »

I hate to say it, but this sh*t is getting depressing totally epic.

I was hoping my ride report showed that even with that snow, it can be crossed with a cheap pair of snowshoes.

The minstrel/Chinook-like winds in South Park that were blowing me literally off my bike proved way more spirit crushing - going 4 mph on HW 24, hoping to get water and food in Hartsel.

Would you say you NEEDED those snow shoes for that section?

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #1082 on: June 01, 2011, 04:35:59 PM
Area45

View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: June 01, 2011, 04:35:59 PM »

We have to keep in mind that some of us won't be hitting that section for at least 3 weeks or so from now. Hopefully conditions will get better, at least somewhat.

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #1083 on: June 01, 2011, 05:03:37 PM
6thElement

View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: June 01, 2011, 05:03:37 PM »

This is going to be totally epic.
Agreed Cheesy

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #1084 on: June 01, 2011, 05:50:57 PM
EMathy

View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: June 01, 2011, 05:50:57 PM »

Well, let's put it this way...I'd venture to say that most of us only have a finite amount of time to do the route. And, for me at least, this is a once in a lifetime effort. Taking 10 - 12 hours to hike less than 12 miles over multiple passes is not conducive to getting the thing done. I've got snowshoes (yah you betcha! Cheesy ) but I ain't packing a ski pole like you did for your test run.

Come Hell or High Water, I'll make the border in New Mexico. Whether or not it's on the "official" route (per se, whatever that will be this year) remains to be seen. It'll be epic, yeah. But what I was really looking forward to was riding my bike. Not trudging through snowbound passes at a rate of 1 per day. So, with that in mind? Yeah, it's f*cking depressing. And epic. So sue me if I am of two minds about it. I know for sure I'm not the only one. Cheesy :p

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #1085 on: June 01, 2011, 10:35:42 PM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: June 01, 2011, 10:35:42 PM »

The Italian youtube videos are even cheesier than the device...especially where former cycling great Claudio Ciapucci is peddling (and pedaling) the contraption.  What a gas.

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #1086 on: June 02, 2011, 12:40:56 AM
Blackhound

View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: June 02, 2011, 12:40:56 AM »

Leaving home in half an hour for the long trip to Banff via Calgary.  Like EMathy looking forward to making it to Mexico one way or another.

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #1087 on: June 02, 2011, 01:28:06 AM
BigPoppa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1087 on: June 02, 2011, 01:28:06 AM »

Leaving home in half an hour for the long trip to Banff via Calgary.  Like EMathy looking forward to making it to Mexico one way or another.

Let's get it on!

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #1088 on: June 02, 2011, 01:08:02 PM
Rob Colliver

View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: June 02, 2011, 01:08:02 PM »

Riding in Fernie for the last couple of days - today I went up Coal Creek Road (a back road entrance to the Flathead) to 4600' with no probs... then the trail was covered, as was the surrounding woodland - this means its not just sledders packing the trail down. I hiked 1.5 miles up to 5000' where I decided enough was enough and (tried to) ride down. The snow at 5000' was at least 16" deep.
Saturday, I will ride up towards Corbin from Highway 3 and report back. It is scheduled to be 23 degrees then, so I may get a little further - watch this space.
I was up at Peter Lougheed Lake two days back - it is mostly frozen, as are the powerline approaches to the Elk Pass. Elk Lakes are solid enough to ride over.
I do have some piccies, but they are too big to publish, and I have limited skills and facilities where I am staying. I will take some low res pics of Corbin area.

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #1089 on: June 02, 2011, 01:27:06 PM
Newfydog

View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: June 02, 2011, 01:27:06 PM »

Dang, isn't there some way to just postpone this thing 2-4 weeks.  I'm sure it would wreck many people's schedule, but then, if they came expecting a bike race and find it is actually a massive snow hike, it is half wrecked already.

The first Birkebeiner I skied was rained out.  It was before internet, and they still informed 6000 people on a two day notice.  They ran it two weeks later and 4,000 of us still made it.  A small, agile event like this ought to be able to do as well.

Speaking of XC skiing, I skated yesterday here in Oregon on a seven foot base, with 3 inches of fresh, in a blizzard.  Sure glad I wasn't trying to bike in June.

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #1090 on: June 02, 2011, 01:38:24 PM
sherpaxc

View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: June 02, 2011, 01:38:24 PM »

That's the thing about this "event".  There is no reason to postpone something like this.  In the end it's an INDIVIDUAL ride.  I'm betting many people will delay their start.  Most won't because of logistics (flight/already got time off of work). 

It's the true beauty and nature of this beast.

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #1091 on: June 02, 2011, 01:52:28 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1091 on: June 02, 2011, 01:52:28 PM »

Without those snowshoes, you'd be post holing every step up to your thigh from the 1/2 mile point the South Trailhead to the Selik campground.

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #1092 on: June 02, 2011, 02:29:44 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1092 on: June 02, 2011, 02:29:44 PM »

Well, let's put it this way...I'd venture to say that most of us only have a finite amount of time to do the route.

I can totally understand that.

And, for me at least, this is a once in a lifetime effort. Taking 10 - 12 hours to hike less than 12 miles over multiple passes is not conducive to getting the thing done.

I can only take a philosophical approach to the slow parts of what this race may entail, but maybe you can relate: if you look at the race as a microcosm of life itself, there are long, slow parts that are painful, and easy fast parts that are enjoyable and easy. Without having to trudge through some of the pain, the easy parts won't seem as easy and the race as a whole won't be as fulfilling as it may have been, if you simply avoided the slow parts (unless real safety issues are a concern on the course, then this metaphorical little thing breaks down). I come from a total underdog/wrong side of the tracks perspective, so dealing with someone giving me lemons often gives back the reply of not "make lemonade" but more often, "GREAT! I LIKE lemons, What else do you got?!"

There is just this uncontrollable part of the race, no matter when it's run and that's the weather. What if we're told that there's a good chance that it'll rain every single day, or every day will have a headwind,  or it'll be 5 degrees warmer every day than usual? Mountains just have this characteristic of having extreme and often unpredictable weather. THAT's par for the course.

With my last practice ride of 4 days before the race, I realized that personally what I needed to have to  keep myself going was sincerely: multiple coping mechanisms. Something to keep motivating me - that's going to be different for everyone, but it seemed pretty important, no matter what my fitness is. I guess this is the, "mental aspect" that people talk about.

I've got snowshoes (yah you betcha! Cheesy ) but I ain't packing a ski pole like you did for your test run.

I'm going to pack a collapsible one, as the non-collapsible one gets a little awkward with anything else. I would suggest trying it out, since as a tool it can come in handy, propping up your bike when you rest, shooting photos, helping to walk through it, etc. Lots of ski-resorts will have them seriously littered about and they'll become revealed when the snow melts. The one I got was in the, "free" pike of a gear swap that was happening in Breck. I though, "Why not?". It was later dumped in Hartsel. Expect to pay $5-10 for a used pair at any thirft store/sports recyclery along the way. (I also want to share these techniques that I tried, because I want people to succeed in getting through some of these snow passes. )

Come Hell or High Water, I'll make the border in New Mexico. Whether or not it's on the "official" route (per se, whatever that will be this year) remains to be seen. It'll be epic, yeah. But what I was really looking forward to was riding my bike. Not trudging through snowbound passes at a rate of 1 per day. So, with that in mind? Yeah, it's f*cking depressing. And epic. So sue me if I am of two minds about it. I know for sure I'm not the only one. Cheesy :p

I think I'm talking for more than myself in saying, I want you - and everyone to succeed with their goals.

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #1093 on: June 02, 2011, 02:45:54 PM
krefs

View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: June 02, 2011, 02:45:54 PM »

A small, agile event like this ought to be able to do as well.

I'm not sure I'd call the TD a "small" event. It may have a relatively small field, but it's no minor undertaking. The fact that most people require a month of work and are flying in to the start, it's far more problematic to reschedule than a one-day event like the Birkie, where the majority of the participants live within driving distance. But as Sherpa points out, in the end, the TD is an individual event, and there's no reason individuals can't push their own start back a few weeks if there is sufficient flexibility in their life. And more than a few riders are doing just that...

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #1094 on: June 02, 2011, 03:01:28 PM
Christopher R. Bennett

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1094 on: June 02, 2011, 03:01:28 PM »

Having flown from New Zealand to Canada I'll be lining up next Friday. Just looking forward to the suggested alternative routes not to get relegated! Sure hope they have winter clothing still for sale in Banff ...

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #1095 on: June 02, 2011, 04:04:38 PM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: June 02, 2011, 04:04:38 PM »

Dang, ....., if they came expecting a bike race ....

IMHO, it's an adventure and/or an adventure race first and foremost.  It just so happens that the predominant mode of travel is by bike.  Anyone expecting a bike race has the wrong frame of mind from the get go.

One year rained nearly every day, next year forest fire, another year a hell of a lot of snow, then perhaps a drought year, or not enough snow (water runoff), then there's logistics, bike mechanicals, cars and potential head-on collisions at blind corners, people shootin' guns in the woods as we ride by, thunderstorms, lightning, navigation, headwind, tailwind, dogs, bears, wildlife, saddle sores, swelling feet, numb hands, blistered lips, blistered palms, blistered everything, fallen trees, mud slides, darkness, sleep monsters, trail angels, call-ins, race rules, spot tracking, serendipity, stupidity, revelation, getting in touch with your heart of hearts, and the list goes on.

You git whatch-you git an' you don' throw a fit.

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #1096 on: June 02, 2011, 04:10:54 PM
mcmurv

View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: June 02, 2011, 04:10:54 PM »

IMHO, it's an adventure and/or an adventure race first and foremost.  It just so happens that the predominant mode of travel is by bike.  Anyone expecting a bike race has the wrong frame of mind from the get go.

One year rained nearly every day, next year forest fire, another year a hell of a lot of snow, then perhaps a drought year, or not enough snow (water runoff), then there's logistics, bike mechanicals, cars and potential head-on collisions at blind corners, people shootin' guns in the woods as we ride by, thunderstorms, lightning, navigation, headwind, tailwind, dogs, bears, wildlife, saddle sores, swelling feet, numb hands, blistered lips, blistered palms, blistered everything, fallen trees, mud slides, darkness, sleep monsters, trail angels, call-ins, race rules, spot tracking, serendipity, stupidity, revelation, getting in touch with your heart of hearts, and the list goes on.

You git whatch-you git an' you don' throw a fit.

Amen brother! 

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #1097 on: June 02, 2011, 05:08:08 PM
robinb

View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: June 02, 2011, 05:08:08 PM »

Just a heads up to all.  Canada Post may be going on strike as of Friday June 3rd.  Anyone who was planning on using them prior to the Grand Depart may want source out some alternatives.

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #1098 on: June 02, 2011, 05:32:52 PM
6thElement

View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: June 02, 2011, 05:32:52 PM »

When do we hit the swarm of locusts does that wait until NM? Cheesy

Topic Name: 2011 Tour Divide Reply #1099 on: June 02, 2011, 06:02:34 PM
Jeff Tomassetti

View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: June 02, 2011, 06:02:34 PM »

I can only take a philosophical approach to the slow parts of what this race may entail, but maybe you can relate: if you look at the race as a microcosm of life itself, there are long, slow parts that are painful, and easy fast parts that are enjoyable and easy. Without having to trudge through some of the pain, the easy parts won't seem as easy and the race as a whole won't be as fulfilling as it may have been, if you simply avoided the slow parts

That reminds me of "Bow Valley" by the Drive By Truckers Smiley:
A man turns his back on the comforts of home into
the Bow Valley to ride off alone
And when the dust all settles and the story is told
History is made by the side of the road
By the men and women that can persevere
And rage through the storm, no matter how severe
And whether it’s snowshoes or a bike or in the rain
There’s gonna be some fine times and there’s gonna be some pain
In the end it’s a silhouette framed by the sun
And just The Bow Valley when the evening comes

Jeff Tomassetti