View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 19, 2011, 12:31:55 PM »

What tarp did you use?  Earplugs are wonderful things! sleepy1

Topic Name: 2011 CTR Planning Reply #141 on: March 22, 2011, 05:33:41 PM
trailrider11

Indiana Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: March 22, 2011, 05:33:41 PM »

Truth Rider: I am in the same boat as you and I haven't been in a race before either. This, too me, seems like a good place to start though. I plan to do the 2012 Great divide race and thought this race would test my physical and mental abilities. Actually, I am quite certain this race will be more physically demanding than the Tour Divide.
I am too, ready for August, but much has to be done.

Life is like a bicycle, to keep balance, you must keep moving.
http://www.blogger.com/profile/13828934591151334833

Topic Name: 2011 CTR Planning Reply #142 on: March 27, 2011, 01:56:00 AM
jakomait

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 27, 2011, 01:56:00 AM »

I’d like to add to the pool of information.  Last year’s CTR is the only overnight race I’ve done and before the race I had only seen maybe 30 miles of the Colorado Trail so a lot was new to me.  I combed these forums and managed to use everyone’s experience to get myself to Durango in one piece on the first try.  I'm not expert but here is one more thing to read.

Navigation:
I bought a GPS for this race and was glad I had it.  Like others have mentioned you don’t need it but it makes following the route pretty simple without wasting time pulling out maps.  On that note I stilled carried some backup info should the gizmo crapout, get broken or get lost.  The majority of the trial is pretty obvious to follow but it’s the one or two intersections a day that can trip you up.  The other good option is Ethan’s system.  He’s done it so many times he didn’t carry a gps or maps, he just knew where to go! 

Sleeping:
I’ve done some fast and light backpacking trips with a bivy sac and hated life when bad weather rolled in.  For the CTR I took a new 7x9 tarp and some string giving me a much more enjoyable way to sleep through a storm.  The downfall hit me hard the first night when I realized the bigger problem was not water falling from the sky but all the water on the ground.  I had to find some creative spots to lay on that weren’t wet, let alone drenched all but one of the nights.  If I took a ground sheet the problem wouldn’t have been so bad but I couldn’t justify the weight when planning it all out in my living room.  Moral of the story is cutting corners to be super light will always have some consequences.  It’s up to you which ones you are willing to face. 

Rain Gear:
Knowing rain is inevitable in August I took legitimate Goretex pants, jacket and gloves with me.  My feet were soggy the entire time but it was a life saver having in impenetrable wall between me and the rain over the rest of my body.  These shells basically doubled my gear weight but I don’t think I could have survived making it to Durango with only rain resistant gear.  The only thing else I can add here is it makes a big difference if you put the shells on before you get soaked rather than after.  I must have spent 2 hours taking on and off layers on the third day after learning a hard lesson on day one.  You never know when scattered showers will turn into a real rain storm.

Bike:
Everyone’s different here.  I ran a bike with 150mm of travel, 2.4” tires, Sram XX 2x10 parts, SLR ti seat, carbon bar…  No frame bags, no racks, just a small compression sac on the bars and water bottle cages.  Ride what you are used to cause you’ll be spending a lot of time pedaling!  I had a 25L pack on my back with basically everything but my sleeping bag and water in it.  Not the standard setup but it can work. 

Lights:
AA type lights make a lot of sense out there.  Fenix, BD Icon and such are pretty popular.  I ended up using what I already own and put my Ayup lights on my helmet and carrying a few battery packs.  I only ran them on low until the last day and had plenty of juice to spare but some real lumens if I needed them.  200 Lumens is pretty dim for standard night riding but out there it was a lot.

The only thing else I can add is its hella hard but super rewarding to make it all the way! 
Jesse J.

It is better to regret the things you've done than the things you haven't.

Topic Name: 2011 CTR Planning Reply #143 on: March 27, 2011, 01:34:46 PM
trailrider11

Indiana Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: March 27, 2011, 01:34:46 PM »

Thanks for informative post!
Ill post up some of the gear i plan on bringing.
Make suggestions and tell me what is and isn't needed.

CTR Race gear for 2011
Clothing
helmet
warm gloves
helmet liner/hat
bike shorts
light weight shirt(2)
Fleece pullover.
rain jacket
leg warmers &arm warmers
wool socks
Down jacket?
2 pair compression shorts and athletic riding shorts.

Personal gear
sunglasses
carmax
sunscreen
chamois cream
extra contact lenses
contact solution
contact case
glasses
toothbrush & toothpaste

Navigation
Accuterra navigation on Iphone just in case. With 38 hour extendable battery life.
Spot
maps
compass
speedometer

Gear
Carousel designs escape pod
hydration pack- camelbak 100 oz
handlebar bag
camera
batteries for all gadgets
headlamp
wallet
cash (200)
credit card
iphone and extra batteries, solar panel and such?
watch
bike lights (front and back)

Camping
sleeping bag
pad
wet wipes
big Ziploc bags
small Ziploc bags
water bottles (3)

Nutrition
electrolyte tabs
vitamins
Aquamira water purification drops
At least 7,000 cals a day

First Aid
IBpro
gauze
athletic tape
tweezers
Tums
whistle
band aids
safety pins
antibiotic cream
lighter

Repair Kit
extra chain links
derailleur hanger
spare tube (2)
tube patch kit
zip ties
string/cord
Multitool
needle and thread
pump
duct tape
Grease rag

Topic Name: 2011 CTR Planning Reply #144 on: March 27, 2011, 05:33:26 PM
jakomait

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 27, 2011, 05:33:26 PM »

thats a big list Trailrider11 but ultimately if you can fit it all and are willing to carry it then go for it.  Take ever item and think if you'll want it or absolutely need it.  Things like toothpaste and a an extra shirt or two are good things to have but could you live without them?  

Something more critical would be warm layers.  It can get pretty cold out there especially when wet.  A winter down coat may be a little more than you need but I brought a synthetic down sweater (but no fleece) and while I never rode in more than armwarmers, jersey and goretex coat I was glad i had it with me as insurance.

for calories, plan for a lot but there is a finite limit no matter how much you are moving what you stomach can digest.  depending on your size you may not be able to ingest 7000 cals per day.  
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 12:35:17 AM by jakomait » Logged

Topic Name: 2011 CTR Planning Reply #145 on: March 27, 2011, 06:54:33 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 27, 2011, 06:54:33 PM »

That's a pretty familiar-looking list! Smiley

7,000 calories/day is indeed too much. I actually ended up consuming closer to 4000-5000/day, including what I ate in towns along the way. I also lost about 5-6 pounds of body weight--which suggests that I was burning about 7,000 calories per day, but only able to consume and digest about 4,000-5000.

My down jacket was part of my sleep system, as I carried an extremely lightweight sleeping bag. It was also my insurance policy in case I crashed hard at night--shock-induced hypothermia is a bad idea. I'm carrying one again this year, but it's a super-light version from GoLite, somewhere between a sweater and a jacket. A light pile pullover too.

I never used my leg warmers, so I'll be leaving them home this year. But I really liked my lightweight polypro long underwear bottoms--especially in the mornings or under my rain gear. Lighter than leg warmers, and more versatile. Depending on the weather prediction, rain pants are a good idea. I wore mine a LOT last year. You can get some really lightweight ones too.

A lot of items on the list are really small, and don't add much bulk or weight. I reviewed a lot of lists that people posted, and they often omit stuff like contact solution--when I know that people who wear contacts take it with them.

My 2010 gear list is here:
http://tobygadd.blogspot.com/2010/11/colorado-trail-race-gear-2010.html

I'm making some changes for 2011, mostly to reduce weight and bulk. I even bought a scale!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 08:31:39 AM by TobyGadd » Logged

"Done"

Topic Name: 2011 CTR Planning Reply #146 on: March 28, 2011, 12:48:31 PM
Joliver

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: March 28, 2011, 12:48:31 PM »

What type of sleeping bag (temp rating, down/synthetic) did you guys use in the past on the CTR/plan on using this year?  Thanks.   

Topic Name: 2011 CTR Planning Reply #147 on: March 28, 2011, 01:08:07 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 28, 2011, 01:08:07 PM »

What type of sleeping bag (temp rating, down/synthetic) did you guys use in the past on the CTR/plan on using this year?  Thanks.   
I used a GoLite ultralight down bag, rated to 40 degrees. They don't make the exact model anymore, but it doesn't even have a hood or zipper--it's just a slim tube of nylon and down. Used with a down jacket/sweater, hat liner, pad, and bivy bag, I was always toasty. I did throw it in the sun a couple of time during the race to dry it out, but fortunately on a sunny day in Colorado it only takes about ten minutes to dry out a bag (about the time it takes to eat lunch)--specially when above 10,000 feet!

"Done"

Topic Name: 2011 CTR Planning Reply #148 on: March 28, 2011, 01:35:10 PM
sherpaxc

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 28, 2011, 01:35:10 PM »

I use a quilt, rated to 30 degrees and weighs in at a hair under 16 ounces. 
http://www.tewaunderquilts.webs.com/

I LOVE using quilts.  easier to get in and out of, lighter, and they just make more sense for 3 season use.

Topic Name: 2011 CTR Planning Reply #149 on: March 28, 2011, 01:49:27 PM
jp3d

Jesse Palmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: March 28, 2011, 01:49:27 PM »

I had a 25L pack on my back with basically everything but my sleeping bag and water in it.

How much water capacity is needed / how long between water sources? Were three 24oz bottles enough for you?

Like the idea of avoiding carrying a bunch of heavy water on my back. I seem to drink about 12oz per hour during a 24 hour race (when the weather is not hot).

party till you björk

Topic Name: 2011 CTR Planning Reply #150 on: March 28, 2011, 04:15:26 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: March 28, 2011, 04:15:26 PM »

How much water capacity is needed / how long between water sources? Were three 24oz bottles enough for you?

Like the idea of avoiding carrying a bunch of heavy water on my back. I seem to drink about 12oz per hour during a 24 hour race (when the weather is not hot).

With a few exceptions (see the trail guide for full details--but convert the info to 'bike' distances) the CTR has consistent/numerous water opportunities (mostly crystal clear-small stream crossings)

I used a 3L bladder and a 1L ‘fill-filter’ bottle.  The 1L bottle was used to UV-filter-fill the balder.  This process took about 5 min from stop to ride. I think I did carry some extra water in the 1L ‘fill’ bottle once or twice but only near the end of the day –ie:for camp water. 

The 3L bladder was rarely filled to capacity.  -- So 3 24 oz bottles could work ‘capacity wise’ if that’s your system.  You might consider bringing a ‘soft’ 1L bottle to occasionally up your cap to 4 L if its hot etc etc

Topic Name: 2011 CTR Planning Reply #151 on: March 28, 2011, 04:29:47 PM
trailrider11

Indiana Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: March 28, 2011, 04:29:47 PM »

That's a pretty familiar-looking list! Smiley

7,000 calories/day is indeed too much. I actually ended up consuming closer to 4000-5000/day, including what I ate in towns along the way. I also lost about 5-6 pounds of body weight--which suggests that I was burning about 7,000 calories per day, but only able to consume and digest about 4,000-5000.

This is Lucas from your blog post and it is a rough version of yours. My gear list is a "rough draft" at best and is open to revision.
I think carrying food will be the hardest part for me. I can eat a lot. Even though i am only 6ft 1in i weigh roughly 180 pounds and can shovel down food. I was figuring every 2 hours i should take in around 500-600 calories, whether it be trail mix, protein bars, dried fruits, or cracker packages.
Could you list foods you carried and resupplied with?

Of all the little things i could cut out of my list, i doubt it will burden me, like toothbrush and toothpaste. I already carry a 30 pound pack everyday and plan to add 10 more pounds to it for my training (I dont plan to have that much in it though during the race).

I am also thinking about going tubeless. What do you guys think?

My down jacket was part of my sleep system, as I carried an extremely lightweight sleeping bag. It was also my insurance policy in case I crashed hard at night--shock-induced hypothermia is a bad idea. I'm carrying one again this year, but it's a super-light version from GoLite, somewhere between a sweater and a jacket. A light pile pullover too.

I never used my leg warmers, so I'll be leaving them home this year. But I really liked my lightweight polypro long underwear bottoms--especially in the mornings or under my rain gear. Lighter than leg warmers, and more versatile. Depending on the weather prediction, rain pants are a good idea. I wore mine a LOT last year. You can get some really lightweight ones too.

A lot of items on the list are really small, and don't add much bulk or weight. I reviewed a lot of lists that people posted, and they often omit stuff like contact solution--when I know that people who wear contacts take it with them.

My 2010 gear list is here:
http://tobygadd.blogspot.com/2010/11/colorado-trail-race-gear-2010.html

I'm making some changes for 2011, mostly to reduce weight and bulk. I even bought a scale!

Topic Name: 2011 CTR Planning Reply #152 on: March 28, 2011, 08:26:54 PM
jakomait

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 28, 2011, 08:26:54 PM »

first my disclaimer is I dont drink a lot no matter what race / ride I do.  rarely carried more than 1L and if i do it again I can get by with only 2x 24oz bottles but you have to max out before your critical dry points like hitting the crest and somewhere between silverton and durango.  my notes were paper in a double ziploc and it got wrecked the first day so i just winged it.  I ended up drinking some from a trickle that took 5 minutes to half fill a bottle cause I missed that last real stream.
3x 24oz bottles should be good for light drinkers and good planners.

Topic Name: 2011 CTR Planning Reply #153 on: March 29, 2011, 06:29:11 AM
ActionJackson

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 29, 2011, 06:29:11 AM »

What re-supply is available in Bailey or 285/Shawnee area? I see that there is a Conoco gas station in Bailey. Mainly looking for convience store type.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 06:33:29 AM by ActionJackson » Logged

Topic Name: 2011 CTR Planning Reply #154 on: March 29, 2011, 06:40:06 AM
jakomait

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 29, 2011, 06:40:06 AM »

What re-supply is available in Bailey or 285/Shawnee area? I see that there is a Conoco gas station in Bailey. Mainly looking for convience store type.

That gas station in Bailey is pretty well stocked with anything you can find at a 7eleven. 

Topic Name: 2011 CTR Planning Reply #155 on: March 30, 2011, 08:38:55 AM
sherpaxc

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 30, 2011, 08:38:55 AM »

I'd suggest the guidebook.  But,

Bailey Diner, Breck 7-11 (3 miles off course), Quiznos at Copper, City Market at Leadville (plus several good restaurants), City Market at BV, K's Dairy at BV FOR SURE, Mt. Princeton hot springs store,...Apples' big tuperware stash, ...Silverton, Durango.

I just wanted to bump this post.  I've been having this conversation with a couple people and I didn't want it to get lost in everything.  This post is very helpful. 

I have a question.  We (me and Action Jackson and another rider) will be starting in the morning, we shouldn't have any trouble getting to Bailey and don't want to camp in Bailey.  Are there any options of camping before the top of Kenosha Pass?

Topic Name: 2011 CTR Planning Reply #156 on: March 30, 2011, 08:42:43 AM
sherpaxc

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 30, 2011, 08:42:43 AM »

Oh yeah, are there any other spots that were missed in the previous post? 

Also, on that big stretch between P-Hot Springs, what was about the average amount of time it took for the "back of the pack" to get to Silverton for resupply? 

And we won't count on Apple being there, but if he was, where is he usually camped out at?

Topic Name: 2011 CTR Planning Reply #157 on: March 30, 2011, 09:31:11 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 30, 2011, 09:31:11 AM »

Oh yeah, are there any other spots that were missed in the previous post?
There is a bar in Copper that is open late, and you get get simple stuff like a burger and fries--and a beer!

Also, on that big stretch between P-Hot Springs, what was about the average amount of time it took for the "back of the pack" to get to Silverton for resupply?  
I was a slow guy (8+ days). It took me three days to get from Mt. Princeton to Silverton. I camped on the far side of the Hot Springs, and then rode the next day a bit past Marshall Pass (almost to Tank Seven Creek). The 2nd day, I made it past Cathedral a ways, but not all the way to Slumgullion Pass. The 3rd day (a very long and wonderful day!), I made it to Silverton.

And we won't count on Apple being there, but if he was, where is he usually camped out at?
Apple may or may not be there, but he normally camps a few miles before HWY 114. Personally, I don't think that he should be counted on for more for than a snack, some water, and a lot of positive encouragement. A few people seem to view him as a grocery store or something, which really isn't fair. Apple pays for the food out of his own pocket and it is actually illegal for him to accept any money in return. He did comment that a few riders were "pretty darn greedy" last year.

On the topic of etiquette, the owners of the little shop at the Hot Springs were pretty pissed that a group of riders thought that it was acceptable to spread all of their wet gear on the store's display racks, etc. It never hurts to be a little respectful out there.

There is some other trail magic out there too, but don't count on any if you're slow. There was some stuff left in coolers for CTR riders, but all that remained was a bunch of busted up Styrofoam and trash by the time slower riders arrived. An ugly scene, and rather demoralizing. Also, another person was handing out cupcakes to the first riders up Kenosha Pass, but again there wasn't anything left for slower riders. Based on these experiences, I think that "trail magic" should be banned outright--especially when it's being provided by friends of racers.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 10:04:20 AM by TobyGadd » Logged

"Done"

Topic Name: 2011 CTR Planning Reply #158 on: March 30, 2011, 11:13:50 AM
sherpaxc

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 30, 2011, 11:13:50 AM »

Toby, I agree, Apple should NEVER be counted on.  I was just wondering where the Trail Magic hero dwelled!   We're looking at finishing around the same time that you did Toby so you're a great source of info.  Thanks for the insight. 

How far did you make it the first day?

Topic Name: 2011 CTR Planning Reply #159 on: March 30, 2011, 11:40:41 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 30, 2011, 11:40:41 AM »

Toby, I agree, Apple should NEVER be counted on.  I was just wondering where the Trail Magic hero dwelled!   We're looking at finishing around the same time that you did Toby so you're a great source of info.  Thanks for the insight.  

How far did you make it the first day?
Apple is indeed something to look forward to. Last year, I heard that he was out there, but I didn't know exactly where--so it was a super fun to roll into his camp. He made me a big bowl of salty soup, which was AWESOME! Not to worry though, I didn't think that you were hoping to get a full resupply, I just threw out the info because some people seemed to be drifting that way.

I made it just a little way over Kenosha Pass on the first day. I was tired, but not exhausted. I honestly think that I could have ridden a fair bit farther, but we were being nailed by a huge electrical storm--and I really didn't want to get stuck on Georgia Pass!

To help plan your nights, check out the replay feature on trackleaders.com. You can see who stopped where. I'd also happily  e-mail you my "itinerary" from last year (profile with distances and camping spots), just send me a PM. I've also worked up some ideas for this year (hopefully a day or so faster), which I'm happy to share as well.

The biggest advice that I can give you about planning is to be flexible. Some days will be harder than you expect, and some will be easier--and your daily distances will reflect that. Camping is possible just about anywhere, so I just rode until I was tired or otherwise done for the day. The only time that I had a tough time finding a campsite was Silverton--and that was purely because I was too scrambled to just stop and friggin' SLEEP! Smiley

Perhaps more important than worrying about camping spots is thinking about water, so that you have something to drink at bedtime and when you get up. While there is generally lots of water on the CT, there are some thin spots. Specifically, Coney's is dry and so is Sargent's Mesa. Fill up your bottles before launching into those sections for sure--whether you intend to camp or not! There are a few dry spots from Silverton to Durango too, but none of them are very long.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 11:52:01 AM by TobyGadd » Logged

"Done"
  Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: