Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2011 AZTR Updates / Discussion Thread Reply #20 on: April 16, 2011, 02:36:37 PM
bigworm

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2011, 02:36:37 PM »

Ran into Kurt and Joe while I was on Lemmon riding today.

First two at Prison Camp

After stocking up in Summer Haven.

Joe just getting into SH as I was heading out.

Topic Name: 2011 AZTR Updates / Discussion Thread Reply #21 on: April 16, 2011, 03:21:41 PM
YuriB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2011, 03:21:41 PM »

I'm out as well. Beat by the sun and unable to get rid of cramps. Pulled out at the lake and Marshall was driving by and he was kind enough to give me a lift to Superior. Keep at it Max, it was good riding with you.

Topic Name: 2011 AZTR Updates / Discussion Thread Reply #22 on: April 16, 2011, 08:35:13 PM
krefs

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2011, 08:35:13 PM »

Well, it was fun while it lasted. The AZT didn't treat me so well this year, with a broken chain, sliced sidewall, and then a low-speed topple on the lower section of Oracle Ridge that sent my knee into one of the many loose, fist-sized rocks that make up the trail surface. The first two problems were quickly resolved, but my knee swelled up almost immediately and decided it no longer wants to bend. That obviously makes pedaling difficult, so I was forced to bail, and Tim was kind enough to give me a lift back to Tucson after he finished up some trail work high on Oracle Ridge. Thanks to him for both of these!

Topic Name: 2011 AZTR Updates / Discussion Thread Reply #23 on: April 16, 2011, 09:32:01 PM
marycycle

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2011, 09:32:01 PM »

I was riding out on Reddington Pass-AZTrail--Molino saddle today. Nothing but hot and steep. Hoped to see Lynda W. but I think I got there a little to early. Great to see her doing so well!. Sorry about the bad bike luck and body luck: Kurt, Marshal, Yuri. Full moon should help people keep riding a little later tonight, especially on Catalina Highway.

Topic Name: 2011 AZTR Updates / Discussion Thread Reply #24 on: April 16, 2011, 10:15:30 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2011, 10:15:30 PM »

What a day on the AZT, huh?  Lot's of stories to tell, no doubt.

Can't believe both Aaron and Kurt are out - I had picked one, or both of them to kill it!  Per Vern's pic we know that Joe is still on ahead of where his SPOT shows (old point) and is now in the lead.  Lynda can't be too far behind and is now tackling Oracle Ridge's 'traverse of death' -- in the dark.  She is setting a killer pace!

Dave Harris is asleep in the room next to me -- left his heels out in the Canelo Hills; I'm bummed to hear that but at least I get to hang out with him some.  Andy may have gone for the a luxury night at the Hilton! 

It's a cooker out there, and it looks like more of the same tomorrow.  After this much time on the bike, IME, the heat only intensifies.  80 feels like 90, and 90, well, you don't even want to go there.

Keep at it everyone!

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: 2011 AZTR Updates / Discussion Thread Reply #25 on: April 16, 2011, 10:30:10 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2011, 10:30:10 PM »

We saw Joe up on Oracle ridge not long after seeing Kurt so he should be well down by now. There were no down trees in the Traverse section but lots of fresh growth. I didn't even recognize the Magic Gate we almost couldn't see it for the brush. I'll post up some pics in the morning.

Topic Name: 2011 AZTR Updates / Discussion Thread Reply #26 on: April 17, 2011, 12:04:06 PM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2011, 12:04:06 PM »

Well that was a super fun ride for a day.  I got surprised 20 minutes into the Canelo hills with some hotspots on both heels, so I stopped in a shady spot with Marshal to tape them up.  The real downer was seeing that they weren't hot spots but blisters that had come up and blown up...skin was already gone from one side.  From that point forward it became a game of how long the super glue would hold the gorilla tape in place.  By the time I got to Reddington my fate became clear.

This is what I call a dealbreaker:

It's hot out there!  I'm nervous for everyone still out there.  Ride smart!

Topic Name: 2011 AZTR Updates / Discussion Thread Reply #27 on: April 17, 2011, 12:17:44 PM
pro_out

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2011, 12:17:44 PM »

Dang that hurts just to look at. Can't imagine how that felt in those temps for that many miles. 

Lone Wolf

Topic Name: 2011 AZTR Updates / Discussion Thread Reply #28 on: April 17, 2011, 12:42:42 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2011, 12:42:42 PM »

Well, this is interesting.  I couldn't figure out what Brad Kee was doing... appearing to be bushwhacking but still making good time.  Then it dawned on me -- he's riding new singletrack!  A piece of the gasline bypass route is complete... but I don't believe it connects or really makes sense yet.  There is the rule that following the AZT (even off the official GPS route) is OK, so if he can manage to get back on course he should be fine... but I am worried that he's going to get stuck somewhere and lose a bunch of time.  Time will tell.

Our leader Joe failed to get his SPOT into track mode, again.  Either that or he is keeping us guessing and purposely going stealth.

Lynda is making super time, but is facing a long day in a stretch with very little water and almost no shade.  It is getting very hot already, midday, so we can rest assured there will be plenty of suffering.  Hope everyone stays safe out there.

Eric Foster is at my place now, and has pulled the plug after a series of mechanical problems.  Aleck M. is also out.  I expect the scratch list will grow some more today...

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: 2011 AZTR Updates / Discussion Thread Reply #29 on: April 17, 2011, 01:46:15 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2011, 01:46:15 PM »

Pretty sure that single track is a dead end, Aleck and some friends rode out there last weekend and he said they just followed the trail about 4 miles to the end. Not sure what he was thinking but he should be able to bushwack back on course by following some wash.

Looks like Max is checking in at the store in Summerhaven, he has a part time job there last summer and had promised to stop by.

Topic Name: 2011 AZTR Updates / Discussion Thread Reply #30 on: April 17, 2011, 01:57:50 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2011, 01:57:50 PM »

Tim, any idea if the start of that singletrack is signed AZT?  Can't see why they would sign it if it's a dead end.  Brad rode the 300+ last year, so in theory he should have remembered the gasline (who could forget)?  He must have a GPS as well?

It looks like he found his way to Camp Grant wash, where he should be able to rejoin the gasline just as it starts to climb in a major way.  He lost some serious time out there, and Lynda is now riding in second place!

No idea where Joe is...

Topic Name: 2011 AZTR Updates / Discussion Thread Reply #31 on: April 17, 2011, 02:07:38 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2011, 02:07:38 PM »

Not sure about and signage it does seem like they shouldn't have it signed as that is the norm. If anything a sign saying under construction. Looks like he is almost back on track at any rate.

Topic Name: 2011 AZTR Updates / Discussion Thread Reply #32 on: April 17, 2011, 02:15:18 PM
sherpaxc

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2011, 02:15:18 PM »

This is fantastic.  It's like the exact opposite of the CTR (weather) yet still just as brutal to "watch".  Dang, that heat must be BRUTAL.  I'll be there next year, but man it makes me nervous!

Dave, what was the cause of the blisters?  I know you've done tons of riding and prep, have you struggled with those in the past?

Go Joe!  Go Lynda!!!

Dude, how freaking awesome would that be if Lynda pulled off a W?  Bad ass no matter what.

Topic Name: 2011 AZTR Updates / Discussion Thread Reply #33 on: April 17, 2011, 02:23:25 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2011, 02:23:25 PM »

Yeah those blister shots are gruesome, takes some real will power to continue with that going on. This thread may need to have a warning added to the heading. Graphic images contained.

Topic Name: 2011 AZTR Updates / Discussion Thread Reply #34 on: April 17, 2011, 02:35:21 PM
meximama

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2011, 02:35:21 PM »

^^^ haha. Cheesy I actually like the photos! Just shows us wannabes how amazing all these outdoor, adventure, endurance, athletes they really are!  Whether they finished or not!!!!   Truly inspiring :-)

Topic Name: 2011 AZTR Updates / Discussion Thread Reply #35 on: April 17, 2011, 03:00:43 PM
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2011, 03:00:43 PM »

Ahh well, I am out too.

Several reasons.  Right at the start of the race I went to reset the trip odometer (not the tracking in the track log) on the GPS unit. It is not something I do very often.  I was not paying attention when I did it, but apprently it is a powerful function that will re-set everything, including any saved track logs... opps.  I just deleted the course from my unit. Shit.

Ok.. I have the que sheet, printed maps, and a really good base map on the unit.  I can make it work. Off I go.
It was hot that first morning, but manageble.  Did anyone else see the DEA agent hiking on the trail, he had pressed kakhis, polo shirt (with vest under), and carrying an AR-15! No backpack, no hat, no water. wtf...

I left Parker Lake with 224 oz. of water. I arrived in Patagonia with about 20 oz.   Made it to Kentucky Camp the first night as it was getting dark.  I would have like to have kept riding, but the body said 'rest'. 

About two hours in on the second morning, a rock flipped in to my back wheel and broke a spoke which then punctured the rim tape and I flatted.  I had two regular tubes.  The first one I pulled out, already had four holes in it. I guess I had been in my saddle bag for a while and the holes were rubbed into it.  (Bonehead move One: not checking tubes before packing).  I put the other tube in and off I go.  Half hour later, flat... one hour later, flat... one hour...  get the picture.  (Bonehead move Two: not packing tubes with sealant.) Lots of patches and time later I arrive in Tuscon, to late for the bike shops.  Sports Authority, K-mart do not have “29r tubes.  Walmart does have “29r tubes, but not with sealant.   I went and ordered some dinner and while waiting for food, I replace the tube.  Ate dinner, then went back to bike and tire was flat again.  Fuck. That was it.

The loss of GPS data, I could manage, the heat I can tolerate.  But throw on top dealing with flat tires all day.  Then it is just not fun.

See you out there next year.

Andy

Topic Name: 2011 AZTR Updates / Discussion Thread Reply #36 on: April 17, 2011, 03:31:58 PM
YuriB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2011, 03:31:58 PM »

Bummer Andy. Good to meet you and yea, I saw the fed guy with the automatic weapon too. I was beginning to wonder if that and the chupacabra I saw were real.

Topic Name: 2011 AZTR Updates / Discussion Thread Reply #37 on: April 17, 2011, 03:46:49 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2011, 03:46:49 PM »

Here's some pics from yesterdays work up on Oracle Ridge.

The Magic Gate almost didn't recognize it for all of the fresh growth.

Fritz the new Segment Steward for Oracle Ridge.

Kurt was still looking strong when we saw him in the Traverse. Even after all of the work Kurt mentioned how much fresh growth there was from last year especially the briars. The good news is that section now has someone who wants to keep up with it.

We had set ourselves up to do a shuttle hike. So we were driving back up the Control road when we came across Caroline (I think I got her name right). I was surprised when she said Kurt was bailing out. I offered her a ride but she wanted to finish riding up and over the mountain. Back at the trail head I told Fritz I would wait and give her one more shot at a free ride. After she arrived and realizing that she still had a long way to go she took me up on the offer. We got a hold of Kurt and made arrangements to meet him down by Campo Bonito. Kurt mentioned the lower single track is also getting a little over grown. That may have to wait for fall at this point.

Topic Name: 2011 AZTR Updates / Discussion Thread Reply #38 on: April 17, 2011, 03:48:20 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2011, 03:48:20 PM »

Mike S called he is out and on the way to my place to pick up his van.

Topic Name: 2011 AZTR Updates / Discussion Thread Reply #39 on: April 17, 2011, 03:56:47 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2011, 03:56:47 PM »

Thanks Tim.  We are at about 50% attrition rate so far, yikes.

Joe Meiser reported on facebook that due to a logistical error he is back in Oracle for calories.  Wow.  That means Lynda is in the lead, with Brad Kee right on her heels.  It's a race folks!

The heat is showing on both Brad and Lynda's speed, IMO.  The Antelope Peak area is not easy, or fast, but both of them should be able to cover ground a bit faster under better conditions, IMO.  Just a few more hours until the sun mercifully sets.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: