Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 2010 AZTR discussion thread Reply #100 on: April 28, 2010, 07:54:15 AM
DaveC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: April 28, 2010, 07:54:15 AM »

One of the things drawing me in to the running ultras is that many of them (at least the ones that catch my attention) include big sections of trail not open to bikes through phenomenal countryside.  Sure, you could run the AZT300, but why bother when you can do it faster and less painfully on a bike?  But courses like the Superior 100 in northern Minnesota on 100 miles of rugged singletrack that's entirely closed to bikes?  That's where you should forget about the bike and strike off on foot.  

Word.  I'd also add that there are quite a few trailless or very rugged places where a bike might be fun, but would slow you down.  It's worth noting that the record for the Nabesna-McCarthy route ("Extreme nature biking", best TR ever!) was set on foot and raft )http://classicreport.blogspot.com/2009/12/alaska-adventure-race-2002-article-from.html).

Topic Name: 2010 AZTR discussion thread Reply #101 on: April 28, 2010, 10:53:57 AM
ActionJackson

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 28, 2010, 10:53:57 AM »

Imo, any reasonably proficient mountain bike rider can aspire to race the AZT.  However like any of the self-supported multi-day mtb races, regardless of their particular mix of overall terrain, it very well may take a time or two to learn how to maximize your personal abilities.  

Anyway, for a variety of reasons I think the AZT 300 provides a perfect introduction to self supported multi-day racing.  If it intrigues you-go for it.

This was my feeling in giving it a go this year Marshall. I learned more in doing it than I have the past few years following it along sitting here. I am back home now, somewhat proud of what I accomplished and overcame. I faced my fears head on, broke several personal records for evelation gain, distance, and hours in the saddle. Learned that my mental state can be supremely higher than my physical at times during the day and vis versa. Most importantly, in direct relation on maximizing your personal abilities, I also learned (lots of learning here) that my ability has increased to withstand physical and mental stress without failure and/or fatigue. Most of the race I was trying to prevent those small initial cracks that start to form within yourself that slowly grow until failure occurs.

In the end, two of the cracks became a concern (as well as my pace slowing) which were a large blister the size of a quarter on the heal of my right foot and a sharp pain on the right side of my stomach when I took deep breaths. These gave me caution into going down into Oracle and across the final 100 miles. I did not want to put myself into jeopardy consciously knowing of these issues and therefore stopped. I did not want to become "that guy" that needed emergency help out in the final stretch. I sort of thought back to the "Yuppie 911" thread.

I enjoyed riding and talking to both Mark and Tim alot. Tim knows the race extremely well and I fought off asking him a million questions. All of us had a great "race type pace" the final few miles over to the Molino Saddleback hike-a-bike up and over to Prison Camp as the sun was setting on Sunday night.  My write and pic's/video will be posted up in the next few days as I drop back down into civilization.

Topic Name: 2010 AZTR discussion thread Reply #102 on: April 28, 2010, 11:40:44 AM
Chad B

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 28, 2010, 11:40:44 AM »

It looks like Tim is coming close to finishing the AZT 300...he is on the steep section of Martinez/Telegraph Canyon.

Keep plugging away!

Well done Lee. I look forward to some pictures and stories from your epic trip!

Topic Name: 2010 AZTR discussion thread Reply #103 on: April 28, 2010, 11:55:13 AM
PirateGirl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: April 28, 2010, 11:55:13 AM »

Really enjoying everyone's race reports and photos. For those that had to pull out due to injury, I hope you heal up soon!

Topic Name: 2010 AZTR discussion thread Reply #104 on: April 28, 2010, 12:35:43 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: April 28, 2010, 12:35:43 PM »

Tim is wrapping it up, and getting scorched.  It's already 88 degrees at my house in Tucson -- hopefully the heat training he talked about at the beginning of this thread is paying off.

Matt and Brad are slightly higher up, but won't gain enough elevation to get out of the heat until later today.  Right now they are in the town of Rye, home of a tasty cafe and "All Bikes" -- perhaps the biggest collection of bicycles known to man.  Piles and piles of rusting junkers... why?  No one is really sure.  Reports I've heard is that the proprietor doesn't much like sell anything, though he does have some nice old/vintage stuff that is kept out of the rain.

Temperatures are going to drop big time tomorrow.  Great for Ian, not so good for Brad, Matt and Mark.  It seems as soon as they hit the higher country the colder temps and maybe a bit of rain will roll in.  Not ideal timing, for sure.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 12:39:05 PM by ScottM » Logged

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: 2010 AZTR discussion thread Reply #105 on: April 28, 2010, 02:15:30 PM
OurManInTheNorth

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 28, 2010, 02:15:30 PM »

Anyone know what the slow record for completion of the 300 is?!

Am keeping on keeping on but definitley in Tour mode now (if ever i was anything but!).

Day 1 was great, snow I was happy with, the gritty mud from Mexico killed my legs and brake pads. Tubeless problems put me flat last soon after the 300 start, but I'd repassed a few 300ers by the end of the day and was feeling good.

Day 2 I got both heatstroke and hypothermia in the same day, and more tubeless problems, and woke day 3 morning with a resting heartrate of 130+. Not well. Coaxed myself v slowly to Tuscon by 11 (after more tubeless problems) and refueled on the healthey McD options and a night in the Hilton (!) which is close to Broadway Bikes - I didnt have the energy to get as far as the cheap motels. Recuperative power of fine cotton sheets is obviously v good:

As Day 4 am I felt great, but had some stocktaking (erm and wedding planning to do) so set off nicely up Redington mid aft. And had more tubeless problems. One involving both a snakebite flat, and not one but 2 rattlers sat watching as I fixed, I only noticed halfway through and dropped the bike and jumped a mile! So didn't get v far.

Day 5 - Same again, decent start, climbed well up Lemmon, more tubeless problems always when I was feeling good and ready to push on etc. Just made Summerhaven for dinner. Then set off over Oracle. And Tubeless problems and brake pad problems at 2 and 4 am were not fun! My 2 tubeless tyres now have 6 superglue fixes, 3 tyre boots, and the slime tubes a total of 9 patches between them, half done to one tube last night at 2am on top of Oracle ridge. Fun!

This am - tyres holding well, brakes fixed, sun coming up, beautiful singletrack, heading to Oracle for food then out to see how far I get on hopefully a proper full day - and the axle plate of my Rohloff snapped. Apparently the massive torque from my legs (or the stupid amoubnt of gear I have anticipating bad weather oop north but have yet to use in the high temps down here) have done this - as far as I can tell on the whole of the internet noone has done this before. Currently in a public library getting info on Mesa bike shops with Rohloff, and the USA distribuitors. Jury rigged a one gear (gear 2 of 14 so sloooooow most of the time) soft pedal solution but it needs fixing. Weighing up 2 slow days with lots of walking to Mesa now, have food, water and kit but not sure I can make it that far in a day on 1 soft gear.

I probably shouldnt have started this thing with no cycling for 6 weeks, 3 weeks of bronchitis at the start of that, 4 hours sleep in the 2 days up to the start etc. I probably shouldnt have started typing this after an all nighter over Oracle Ridge. What's the slow record for the 300 finish again? Don't think I have time for the full deal now but will try to finish this, fix the bike and see how far I get.

Still smiling! Good luck to the other full riders, and Scott - you're an evil genius. Some of that singletrack in out of the way places almost makes Oracle worth it!

Ian

Topic Name: 2010 AZTR discussion thread Reply #106 on: April 28, 2010, 04:08:46 PM
krefs

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2010, 04:08:46 PM »

Man, Ian sounds like he's having a devil of a time making steady forward progress out there.  I can sympathize with his tubeless and flat problems after encountering the same thing last year (though I didn't quite ended up with 9 patches!).  Good luck getting that hub repaired...

Topic Name: 2010 AZTR discussion thread Reply #107 on: April 28, 2010, 04:53:02 PM
Chad B

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 28, 2010, 04:53:02 PM »

Still smiling!
Ian

That is the perfect ending to your endless difficulties...I am glad you are still smiling through it all.

Topic Name: 2010 AZTR discussion thread Reply #108 on: April 28, 2010, 05:42:02 PM
layla

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 28, 2010, 05:42:02 PM »

Hello, just another update on Mark Caminiti.  I got a call last night he had to take a detour into Hayden, (lots of tech. issues) after spending the night there, he back on the trail and hopes to finish by tomorrow sometime? He is one determined man....and I am beyond proud of his accomplishments so far! as well as the rest WOW! you are all amazing! Layla

Topic Name: 2010 AZTR discussion thread Reply #109 on: April 28, 2010, 06:56:47 PM
ActionJackson

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 28, 2010, 06:56:47 PM »

Keep rollin' Ian and Mark thumbsup and Congrats Tim!

Hey Layla - I saw Mark slathering on all kinds of strange smelling liquids while we were out there, Mark said it was his "secret" potion for just about everything and wouldn't say a word more.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 07:05:36 PM by ActionJackson » Logged

Topic Name: 2010 AZTR discussion thread Reply #110 on: April 28, 2010, 07:07:38 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 28, 2010, 07:07:38 PM »

Just got home hit the finish line at 1:35 this afternoon. That's all I got for now I just need a shower.

Topic Name: 2010 AZTR discussion thread Reply #111 on: April 28, 2010, 07:48:03 PM
layla

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 28, 2010, 07:48:03 PM »

Hi Jackson!  the "secret potion" is a formula i am working on for bikepacker's...I am an Apache herbalist and creating 100% organic and natural cream for da butt and junk, hands, feet, joints etc....essential oils, beeswax, shea butter, cocoa butter and numerous other herbs for specific issues. Mark says his body feels good, not to sure about how his bike is feeling tho???!!  Like Ian he has encountered MANY tire and brake issues...and only one rattlesnake encounter! I see that super glue is a biker's best friend on the trail...?!

BTW Mark has water but wanted to know where the Antelope water cache is exactly? his notes don't show specifics is guess? So any info would be helpful....Thanks. Layla

Topic Name: 2010 AZTR discussion thread Reply #112 on: April 28, 2010, 08:35:15 PM
Lee Blackwell

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 28, 2010, 08:35:15 PM »

Congratulations to all who touched that trail whether they have finished the race or not. Just being out there is a win.

Joan hiked up the trail last night to meet me as I made final miles, she had a grand saguaro up lighted with her headlamp to welcome me back.  We camped at Picket post under the big moon.

It was great to see everyone, what a great 5 days!

Lee

Topic Name: 2010 AZTR discussion thread Reply #113 on: April 28, 2010, 08:53:46 PM
Lee Blackwell

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 28, 2010, 08:53:46 PM »

Anyone know what the slow record for completion of the 300 is?!

Am keeping on keeping on but definitley in Tour mode now (if ever i was anything but!).

Day 1 was great, snow I was happy with, the gritty mud from Mexico killed my legs and brake pads. Tubeless problems put me flat last soon after the 300 start, but I'd repassed a few 300ers by the end of the day and was feeling good.

Day 2 I got both heatstroke and hypothermia in the same day, and more tubeless problems, and woke day 3 morning with a resting heartrate of 130+. Not well. Coaxed myself v slowly to Tuscon by 11 (after more tubeless problems) and refueled on the healthey McD options and a night in the Hilton (!) which is close to Broadway Bikes - I didnt have the energy to get as far as the cheap motels. Recuperative power of fine cotton sheets is obviously v good:

As Day 4 am I felt great, but had some stocktaking (erm and wedding planning to do) so set off nicely up Redington mid aft. And had more tubeless problems. One involving both a snakebite flat, and not one but 2 rattlers sat watching as I fixed, I only noticed halfway through and dropped the bike and jumped a mile! So didn't get v far.

Day 5 - Same again, decent start, climbed well up Lemmon, more tubeless problems always when I was feeling good and ready to push on etc. Just made Summerhaven for dinner. Then set off over Oracle. And Tubeless problems and brake pad problems at 2 and 4 am were not fun! My 2 tubeless tyres now have 6 superglue fixes, 3 tyre boots, and the slime tubes a total of 9 patches between them, half done to one tube last night at 2am on top of Oracle ridge. Fun!

This am - tyres holding well, brakes fixed, sun coming up, beautiful singletrack, heading to Oracle for food then out to see how far I get on hopefully a proper full day - and the axle plate of my Rohloff snapped. Apparently the massive torque from my legs (or the stupid amoubnt of gear I have anticipating bad weather oop north but have yet to use in the high temps down here) have done this - as far as I can tell on the whole of the internet noone has done this before. Currently in a public library getting info on Mesa bike shops with Rohloff, and the USA distribuitors. Jury rigged a one gear (gear 2 of 14 so sloooooow most of the time) soft pedal solution but it needs fixing. Weighing up 2 slow days with lots of walking to Mesa now, have food, water and kit but not sure I can make it that far in a day on 1 soft gear.

I probably shouldnt have started this thing with no cycling for 6 weeks, 3 weeks of bronchitis at the start of that, 4 hours sleep in the 2 days up to the start etc. I probably shouldnt have started typing this after an all nighter over Oracle Ridge. What's the slow record for the 300 finish again? Don't think I have time for the full deal now but will try to finish this, fix the bike and see how far I get.

Still smiling! Good luck to the other full riders, and Scott - you're an evil genius. Some of that singletrack in out of the way places almost makes Oracle worth it!

Ian

Ian, your dry humor will carry you if your tires and hub do not,   enjoyed our short acquaintance   Lee

Topic Name: 2010 AZTR discussion thread Reply #114 on: April 29, 2010, 08:58:04 AM
ActionJackson

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 29, 2010, 08:58:04 AM »

Just got home hit the finish line at 1:35 this afternoon. That's all I got for now I just need a shower.

Awesome job Tim!

Topic Name: 2010 AZTR discussion thread Reply #115 on: April 29, 2010, 09:09:41 AM
wookieone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: April 29, 2010, 09:09:41 AM »

Hello there everyone. I have enjoyed reading the past few days of discussion, thanks for the words/thoughts of support. I hope all out there are still rocking it, best of luck to Brad, Matt, Ian and Mark, keep on rocking it!
 I just wanted to give a quick glimpse into my ride....

So I have to admit I almost wanted to cry when I saw the snow falling on Friday morning. I began to think the universe was telling me something as every other time I come down to Arizona some freak storm rocks the place! (Hope you all keep inviting me down here.) But after a few miles the joy of pushing and riding singletrack put the thoughts of weather behind. I settled into my usual pace of riding when it flows and walking the rest. Speaking of which Todd, who took the lead right away, seemed to be riding almost everything, perhaps Hike A Bike is in the eye of the beholder! I got to ride with Dr. Morris who was riding quite well through the Canelo Hills and eventually pulled ahead going into Patagonia, where I got a glimpse of he and Todd heading out. I just kept plugging away happy to be riding my bike, except on Bull Springs Road where a certain bulldozer made travel complete hell. Despite the snow and mud I was surprised to find myself ahead of last years time and was really enjoying sections in the light that were only dark shadows in last year's night. I managed to push through the heavy eyes of going all night and caught Scott sleeping in the I-10 box culvert and was soon riding into the sunrise yo-yoing back and forth. We refueled at the Rincon Market and pushed pretty good all the way to the Molina hike a bike, where Scott again amazed me with his skill of ascension. At the campground we caught up to Todd sitting down looking dejected. Turns out his GPS crapped out and he had forgotten the cues and maps, yikes. Scott had decided to drop out as his sprained ankle from a couple weeks ago was too sensitive to attempt Oracle Ridge, so he offered Todd his GPS so he could continue. Yet Todd seemed reluctant to do so, I was reluctant to stop too long as I wanted to make Oracle Ridge before dark, so said my goodbyes thinking one or both would come chasing after me. After a few miles of suffering up the paved climb with my back screaming ugly things I knew I was alone as either one of those guys would have crushed me on this climb. Somehow I made the control road at 6:PM and scrambled my way along the condemnable Oracle Ridge making it off the ridge and crawling to sleep at 10:PM.
  I slept for an hour and a half, crawled back out of unconsciousness shivering, pulled myself back together and back onto the bike. I refueled in Oracle, and pushed on. I hammered pretty good all the way through the gasline, all the bad ass ripping singletrack and the boulders section. Oh man that is some fun stuff, cruising along suffering and blasting killer singletrack in the middle of nowhere desert some 250 miles into the race. I stopped at the Ripsey Wash turn off and ate and discovered I was low on water, so I rationed what I had all the way to the Gila River and up the Box. Box Canyon was a mass of moto mayhem, it was hot, dusty and crowded. I was about out of water, my back was killing me and I was starting to crack. Yet somehow once I got to the bottom of the Orphan Boy climb I bounced back, I was suddenly aware of how close I was, plus I could see the top of the climb, where as last year I blindly followed the GPS track through the stark bleak night. I had to push tears from my eyes as I reached the top of the climb, somehow still pushing my tired shell along, I was here I was gonna pull this off! I tried so hard to keep the hammer dropped all the way through the swinging singletrack at the end, pushing hard to get to the trail head. After crossing that line into the parking lot I felt that overwhelming feeling of underwhelming. Here I was done, record broken, yet no one was here to notice, I still had to ride into Superior to quench my dry mouth. Once that cold water hit the back of my throat I felt a big smile on my face, I knew where the reward lay and smiled some more. I got meal at Los Hermanos, took a pint of Ben & Jerries to my motel room and slept the sleep of dreams.......Jefe  

the impossible just hurts more...
pedaling is my prozac...

https://jwookieone.com/colorado-trail-race/9667-2/

Topic Name: 2010 AZTR discussion thread Reply #116 on: April 29, 2010, 09:52:48 AM
tRoy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: April 29, 2010, 09:52:48 AM »

...I knew where the reward lay and smiled some more...

headbang
Big congrates to the new AZT 300 record holder and all the inspiring rides.  

I think the ~68% DNF stat speaks for Scott's AZ adventure mtb race/ride.  

I don't think snow is going to slow Matt and Brad down anytime soon... Maybe mud, but tons of snow has melted around Flagstaff even though we had a fair to good snowstorm last week - the same storm that gave the AZT riders a snowy start, gave me and friends a continuous 3000 ft powder to powder-corn splitboard descent.  
There will likely be some snow drifts here and there but mostly I think it will not be a big deal until Hart Prairie and the North Rim.  

Scott, what are the snow reroutes - are there gpx files? Found the files...
I might be able to get out to see what the course is like and maybe pop-in on Brad and Matt for a AZT interview.  
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 01:39:20 PM by tRoy » Logged

Topic Name: 2010 AZTR discussion thread Reply #117 on: April 29, 2010, 12:38:33 PM
omurphy

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 29, 2010, 12:38:33 PM »

Wow, Jefe, just ONE pint of B&Js? You deserve ten! Congrats. Hope to see you sometime this summer.

-Owen

Topic Name: 2010 AZTR discussion thread Reply #118 on: April 29, 2010, 01:19:03 PM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 29, 2010, 01:19:03 PM »

I don't think snow is going to slow Matt and Brad down anytime soon... Maybe mud, but tons of snow has melted around Flagstaff even though we had a fair to good snowstorm last week - the same storm that gave the AZT riders a snowy start, gave me and friends a continuous 3000 ft powder to powder-corn splitboard descent. 
There will likely be some snow drifts here and there but mostly I think it will not be a big deal until Hart Prairie and the North Rim.   

Since that is a lot different than what the overlay I posted a couple days ago predicted I figured I must have messed something up.  Sure enough, my browser seems to be stuck on April 10 on the snow models page  BangHead  So instead of this

it looks more like this

My bad.  Gawd I hope none of the 750 riders have seen that post.  Sorry about that.

Topic Name: 2010 AZTR discussion thread Reply #119 on: April 29, 2010, 01:24:13 PM
krefs

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 29, 2010, 01:24:13 PM »

Wow, Dave.  That gives me a bit more confidence!  Although it means I no longer have an excuse to take the pavement snow detours until the N Rim...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: