Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: "Into the Divide" - Stamstad's ITT on the divide. on: May 22, 2021, 07:26:05 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« on: May 22, 2021, 07:26:05 AM »

I never saw this when it came out but it's now on Amazon's streaming service, Prime:

https://www.amazon.com/Into-Divide-John-Stamstad/dp/B08FFDSKHX/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1

This is the ride that started it all, the first known unofficial ITT of a dirt bikepacking route (?).  Definitely worth a watch, especially if you were riding back in the 90's.

John was a pioneer, no doubt.  And it's interesting how many of the precedents he set for racing the divide still reverberate 20 years later (e.g. pavement from Cuba to Grants, hitchhiking backwards, shipping bike parts from a loved one at home -- not to mention the whole notion of doing 150+ mile days!).

I thought it was amazing that he brought a neon yellow helmet cover (!).  You don't see people racing with those anymore.  Smiley  Ah, the 90's.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: "Into the Divide" - Stamstad's ITT on the divide. Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 02:36:06 PM
phatmike

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 02:36:06 PM »

Sweet - added to the watch list.

Topic Name: "Into the Divide" - Stamstad's ITT on the divide. Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 11:47:08 PM
WatermelonSugar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 11:47:08 PM »

Thanks for the tip off! It makes you realise how much easier people have it now with GPS, tubeless tyres, and so much information about the route out there.

Topic Name: "Into the Divide" - Stamstad's ITT on the divide. Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 03:08:44 PM
Briansong

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 03:08:44 PM »

Great watch, thanks for posting. The delta between his speed/time then, as opposed to the records now, including greater distances is really amazing. 

Topic Name: "Into the Divide" - Stamstad's ITT on the divide. Reply #4 on: May 27, 2021, 07:48:18 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2021, 07:48:18 AM »

Great watch, thanks for posting. The delta between his speed/time then, as opposed to the records now, including greater distances is really amazing. 

Yep, it's always harder to go first.

The most interesting part to me was seeing the many doubts he had out there.  Everyone experiences this racing (why am I doing this???!), but if you're the first out on a route or the first at a new style of racing, the self-questioning can be especially powerful. 

"Why is it that I take something that most people would consider the trip of a lifetime, and a vacation, and turn it into something full of suffering?"

I experienced similar thoughts on my first AZT runs, many years after John's ITT here, but early enough that it wasn't clear (to me) that multi-day racing on singletrack was a good or reasonable thing to do.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: "Into the Divide" - Stamstad's ITT on the divide. Reply #5 on: May 27, 2021, 12:30:17 PM
Briansong

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2021, 12:30:17 PM »

I also find it "somewhat interesting" that films are/were being made by quite a few. This one by John, the early one by JP and others. Some, there were DQ's, other there are/were not. I realize this one about Stamstad is different. It was early on and before the "rules" as it were.

The enforcement seems arbitrary and random at best.

Were the finishers in the original movie, "Ride the divide" subject to these rules?

Topic Name: "Into the Divide" - Stamstad's ITT on the divide. Reply #6 on: May 27, 2021, 05:07:43 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2021, 05:07:43 PM »

I think it's fair to point out that filming has had a place in divide racing, historically.

I believe John had misgivings about the film crew and its effect on him and the solo nature of the ride.  So it's also fair to say the relationship has always been uneasy, too.

Topic Name: "Into the Divide" - Stamstad's ITT on the divide. Reply #7 on: May 27, 2021, 06:25:52 PM
Briansong

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2021, 06:25:52 PM »

I think it's fair to point out that filming has had a place in divide racing, historically.

I believe John had misgivings about the film crew and its effect on him and the solo nature of the ride.  So it's also fair to say the relationship has always been uneasy, too.

Agree.

I believe everyone gets or is looking for something different out of these things. Some, see it for simply the challenge of it, that's my impetus. Others, seem to want to share it on social media as more of a shared experience. I attempted the TD in 2014 and pulled out in Seely lake. I simply want to finish it and am ITTing in August.. I took about 3 pictures the entire way in 2014.

The filming aspect perhaps should be even another dot? Looked at differently. They can do as they can do as they choose, associate with who they want and take as long as necessary. BUT...they cannot be given a course record either. A category record perhaps but not like Mike Hall's record, if they were to break it. Or simply a "film crew" asterisk.

In any case too much controversy is divisive and our sport doesn't need it.

Topic Name: "Into the Divide" - Stamstad's ITT on the divide. Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 08:46:36 PM
bmattingly

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 08:46:36 PM »

Briansong,

Good observations by you and Scott.  Good luck on your August run.  I think people have very different motivations to ride such a long route and many different experiences.  My hat goes off to the riders who give it a try and despite the outcome give it their best.  Rides for days over hundreds or thousands of miles can sure give you some serious challenges to deal with.

On my 2009 ride of the TD I had a solecrushing 3rd day after staying up all night in a wild area the next day I was lost, had tire issues that wouldn't relent, and climbed over a 25 foot wet avalanche path of logs that covered a road and you could not get over accept for climbing over the steep wet logs with my bike.  Sketchy and I was a climber for 24 years.  Somehow that night I crossed the border and slept in a tarp next to a bar.  The next morning I had some strong emotions followed by a feeling of confidence that I could finish because I did not think any of my days would be as tough as the previous day.  I finished and found out later I  was relegated for getting off route before Butte.  My relegation sucked at the time but over time it does not matter because it was a grand adventure and I definately gave it my best.  Peddeling 2700 miles is tough.

There is respect for the  bikepackers willing to get out of their comfort zones and go for it.  Many would not attempt such an arduous task or get out of their comfort zone.

Hats off to Stamstad for having the vision to put it together and go for it!!!

Good luck to all on the TD this year!
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: