Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Starting the Divide ride 1st week September? on: July 22, 2015, 12:22:14 PM
flanagaj

View Profile WWW
« on: July 22, 2015, 12:22:14 PM »

Family holiday and me procrastinating too much has resulted in my original plan being pushed out.  What I want to know is what the latest starting date would be if you are planning the ride to take 6 weeks should be.  Would you be ok if you left no later than the 2nd week of September?

Topic Name: Starting the Divide ride 1st week September? Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 05:51:41 PM
Jilleo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 05:51:41 PM »

I've considered an autumn Divide ride. In my opinion it's the best season to ride through the Rocky Mountains — the monsoons are over, wildfire season should be over, beautiful colors, great light, cooler days, cold nights. If you're pushing into late October, you have a very good chance of hitting snowstorms on the higher passes. Even by mid-October, you could run into enough snowpack in Colorado to prevent you from continuing. Or you could have beautiful weather and no snow. It's difficult to say. But riding that late is tempting fate.

Every day is an adventure http://arcticglass.blogspot.com

Topic Name: Starting the Divide ride 1st week September? Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 12:17:15 AM
sigma7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 12:17:15 AM »

A nice video about GDMBR late in the year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa_28YltsuY

-- sigma7

Topic Name: Starting the Divide ride 1st week September? Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 02:47:39 AM
flanagaj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 02:47:39 AM »

I've considered an autumn Divide ride. In my opinion it's the best season to ride through the Rocky Mountains — the monsoons are over, wildfire season should be over, beautiful colors, great light, cooler days, cold nights. If you're pushing into late October, you have a very good chance of hitting snowstorms on the higher passes. Even by mid-October, you could run into enough snowpack in Colorado to prevent you from continuing. Or you could have beautiful weather and no snow. It's difficult to say. But riding that late is tempting fate.

From what I can gather, so long as you leave first week of September you should be ok.

A nice video about GDMBR late in the year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa_28YltsuY

-- sigma7
That is a fantastic video!  Thanks for sharing.

Topic Name: Starting the Divide ride 1st week September? Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 10:02:07 PM
Jilleo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 10:02:07 PM »

-- sigma7
Wow, props to that guy.

Every day is an adventure http://arcticglass.blogspot.com

Topic Name: Starting the Divide ride 1st week September? Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 02:38:01 PM
flanagaj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 02:38:01 PM »

The more I research this, the more I think "damn it, why did I not get off in early August"  Seems that a lot of campsites start closing at the beginning of September :-(

Topic Name: Starting the Divide ride 1st week September? Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 12:08:28 PM
flanagaj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 12:08:28 PM »

Final post on this, but is there anyone out there who fancies starting this ride 5th September with me?

I have a family holiday last week in August so I cannot commit to an August start.  Frustrating, but that is just one of those things.

Topic Name: Starting the Divide ride 1st week September? Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 01:05:02 AM
Bhylee

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 01:05:02 AM »

Hey I just stumbled across this.

I'm interested in starting this route around September 1, but I will be starting in Whitefish, Montana. Shoot me a message if you're still planning on this route.

Brian

Topic Name: Starting the Divide ride 1st week September? Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 01:35:59 AM
flanagaj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 01:35:59 AM »

Hey I just stumbled across this.

I'm interested in starting this route around September 1, but I will be starting in Whitefish, Montana. Shoot me a message if you're still planning on this route.

Brian
Certainly am very interested.  I will send you a pm.  I won't be starting until the 5th September as that is the earliest I can get to Banff.  I am quite surprised that there isn't anyone else wanting to join in.

Topic Name: Starting the Divide ride 1st week September? Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 04:49:59 AM
BanffCrazyLarry

Everyone has an Everest. Every Everest is Special!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 04:49:59 AM »

I'm interested !
Possibility is there/lots on the go/but ya never know.
Equipment needs to be ordered; New bags; New everything actually; along with a NEW job = THAT might be my stickler to allow me NOT to go.  icon_scratch
Depart Banff, though.
Finish time = just to finish! Ha!
Contact me for PM bigbearhi@gmail.com

Think of a thought.
(something your shooting for that’s worthy or to do some good)

Now just Imagine.
FEEL THE GLORY?
OF accomplishing the task.

IF YOU CAN FEEL IT.
“YOU CAN DO IT”

NEVER Stop Dreaming.
Always Keep Believing!
You can.
If you think you can.
Never ‘EVER’ Give up!

Enj

Topic Name: Starting the Divide ride 1st week September? Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 05:40:57 AM
flanagaj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 05:40:57 AM »

I'm interested !
Possibility is there/lots on the go/but ya never know.
Equipment needs to be ordered; New bags; New everything actually; along with a NEW job = THAT might be my stickler to allow me NOT to go.  icon_scratch
Depart Banff, though.
Finish time = just to finish! Ha!
Contact me for PM bigbearhi@gmail.com

That's great Larry.  Email sent.

So come on, I know there are other forum members who are thinking "oooh, shall I go?"  It's the last chance of 2015 to do it!

Topic Name: Starting the Divide ride 1st week September? Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 01:46:10 PM
Erik

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 01:46:10 PM »

-- sigma7

"It's November 15th. It's -15 degrees Celsius. I'm on the Great Divide in a snowstorm... and I'm drunk!"

Love this guy.

Topic Name: Starting the Divide ride 1st week September? Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 06:43:37 PM
vikb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 06:43:37 PM »

Seems that a lot of campsites start closing at the beginning of September :-(

I prefer closed campsites. No way to keep a biker out and you have the whole place to yourself with no noise! Smiley

Topic Name: Starting the Divide ride 1st week September? Reply #13 on: August 29, 2015, 09:14:28 AM
threepin

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2015, 09:14:28 AM »

Hey Flanaganj, if you run into closure issues in MT , try to PM some of the members here like myself and we can try to get you some enjoyable reroutes.

Topic Name: Starting the Divide ride 1st week September? Reply #14 on: August 29, 2015, 06:09:27 PM
Sparkyga

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2015, 06:09:27 PM »

Campsites are always opened if you carry your bike over the gate Smiley

Topic Name: Starting the Divide ride 1st week September? Reply #15 on: August 30, 2015, 01:51:20 AM
flanagaj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2015, 01:51:20 AM »

Hey all.  After a great deal of deliberation I have decided to scratch my solo trip and am instead flying to Butte to join the great divide organised trip for 2 weeks.  This was a tough decision and gave me many restless nights sleep, but given my bike touring to date has just been 1 / 2 night trips in the UK  I concluded that a solo trip down the Divide would be a little too overwhelming for me.

I am hoping 2 weeks on the organised trip will then give me the confidence to hopefully continue the rest of the ride solo from Steamboat to Antelope Wells.

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: