Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: AZT Logistics on: November 29, 2015, 03:09:42 PM
Jbennett

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2015, 03:09:42 PM »

I'm attempting to start to understand the logistics for the AZT and I have a few questions.  If I've missed some resources somewhere along the way, please feel free to point me in the right direction.  I have the 'Biking the Arizona Trail' book, but it's from 2002.

1) What backpack would be suggested in order to hike the bike across the Grand Canyon?
1a) Rather than hike the canyon, what is the alternate road route, even if it is paved.  I've tried searching for a suggested route, but can't find much about it.  Shuttling the bike wouldn't be an option, unfortunately.

2) According to the ATA website, I see a few options for shuttles.  Does anyone have any first hand experience with these companies?  What about a rough estimate on costs, so that I can have an idea before I reach out to one of these companies.

3) I'm assuming full squish is suggested, seeing as how my research seems to show only full suspension bikes being used.  Is this the case?  Anyone have any experience doing the trail on a rigid bike?

Any other resources would be greatly appreciated!

Topic Name: AZT Logistics Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 03:33:33 PM
aaron w

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 03:33:33 PM »

I just bikepacked a bunch of AZT and other arizona stuff on my full rigid bike.  I was running a 3.0 up front with about 12psi.  IMO if you are used to full rigid then it's fine.  I never regretted my bike choice during my tour. 

Topic Name: AZT Logistics Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 07:11:48 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 07:11:48 PM »

Lots of people running full suspension, your book from 02 is way out of date. Most people seem to be touring the AZTR course. Also it's possible to put together alternates for rougher sections of trail using the AZT network tracks from the route page here.

People have shipped full frame packs to the canyon to make the carry easier, many racers go with basically a day pack to strap the bike to so anything should work. Also many have pushed thru in a single day, but you could get camping permits and accommodations to break it up. The 215 miles of pavement is pretty obvious. I think the road is wider then when I did it in 04. I know nothing about the shuttles.

Tim

Topic Name: AZT Logistics Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 04:54:49 AM
maettu99

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 04:54:49 AM »

We did the full AZT in 2014. We started at the northern trailhead and have reached the GC north rim after two days.

The next day we crossed the GC carrying all our stuff in one day. This took us 11.5 hours!

Pictures of that day:
Click to "Arizona Trail Tag 2" under the following link: http://mat-sa.ch/AZT/?page_id=11

Here are my two cents about crossing the GC when walking under its own power:

Would I do it again? Absolutely!
How though is it? It's a log and exhausting walk. Walking down and along the flat section coming from the north rim was harder for me than climbing back uphill.
I strongly recommend you to use a real large trekking backpack with a good waist belt and stable back support. Also a pair of running shoes. And not to forget trekking poles.
Also I recommend you to pack precisely and carefully. Otherwise you will suffer in the coming hours...
After crossing the GC you can leave the running shoes, the poles and the backpack at the south rim or send it back home.
I started the AZT with a very old backpack (smaller backpack inside), trekking poles and running shoes and threw all to trash after reaching the south rim.
Regarding environmental protection not the best solution I know but because we are from Switzerland we had no chance to send the stuff back home without much higher cost.
There is a ranger program where you can bring unused stuff at the south rim but we arrived late in the day and left early in the mornig. The ranger station was closed.
You can continue with a smaller backpack from there...

Hope this helps...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 05:16:58 AM by maettu99 » Logged

Bikepacking trips (in german): http://mat-sa.ch/
AZT Trip (in german): http://mat-sa.ch/AZT/

Topic Name: AZT Logistics Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 06:10:57 AM
Flagster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 06:10:57 AM »

I have switched recently to a lightweight back country ski pack instead of the uber common osprey.  It is a bit heavier but had the perfect amount of support and heavy duty attachment points (made for skis) that allow me to effortlessly attach my bike. 
I am also considering the strap only technique....
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: