Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: GDMBR Southbound, Departing June 24 on: April 11, 2019, 05:41:11 AM
BilliLing

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2019, 05:41:11 AM »

Hi all! I'm Lilli, and I'm new to the forum (and relatively new to bikepacking, with only a few shorter trips under my belt).

This summer I'm embarking on the GDMBR southbound from Banff, leaving June 24. I'll be alone, and would love some company for a bit....or an opportunity just to meet up and chat!
As far as milage, I'm hoping to hit 40-50 miles per day (perhaps even less at the beginning, as I'm acclimating). 

Any "best of" tips for newbies, or "I wish I'd have known....." stories, or just general comfort that a bear won't eat me would be appreciated!

(Yes, I'm familiar with bear-avoidance and best practices, but that doesn't erase my fear as a solo bikepacker).

Topic Name: GDMBR Southbound, Departing June 24 Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 07:53:50 AM
Iowagriz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 07:53:50 AM »

I did a week from Banff about 2 years ago, solo as well.  Absolutely loved it.  Saw and rode with a few other riders and always enjoyed the brief company.  Usually went our own way as paces were different.

Best tip:  take your time, you have all day long to ride and the sun will be out from 6am? to 9pm?; lots of time to move, so take your time and just enjoy it.

Also, if you get to stay in Butts Cabin, it was a nice place to not have to worry about bears.  To find water from Butts, go back up route to the first intersection, turn right and to the river.  Maybe 1mile detour, but easiest spot to get/filter water.

Topic Name: GDMBR Southbound, Departing June 24 Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 07:28:36 AM
bakerjw

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 07:28:36 AM »

With regards to water. Last year we departed Banff on July 11 and it was dry and dusty. Water was a bit scarce in many of the passes but we got lucky when we needed it.

Topic Name: GDMBR Southbound, Departing June 24 Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 07:59:52 AM
chickenwing

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 07:59:52 AM »

I did the route solo southbound last summer and friggin loved it.

Some things I picked up along the way.

Too much stuff: I was surprised how many other tourers were severely overloaded. I met a couple from the Netherlands who had already sent home some 30 lbs worth of gear, and in my opinion, still had way too much stuff. I saw them a few times and they were pretty miserable on some of the long climbs. I would try to go fairly lightweight if at all possible. Hence the Shakedown Tour...

Shakedown Tour : I would highly recommend a shakedown tour well before you head to Banff. Pack what you think you need and then find a tour with some big vert and see how it goes. Three days minimum, IMO.

Bears : They're always on your mind, especially in the Flathead Valley, but as long as you hang you food properly, you'll be fine  thumbsup I saw a momma grizz and her cub and they paid no attention to me. They're pretty amazing to see in real life.

Hills : Be in shape for LOTS of hill climbing. But I guess that's pretty obvious.

Other things: I would highly recommend going through the Flathead Alternate. You miss the cute town of Fernie, but I thought the Flathead was pretty amazing (except for a very short but steep hike-a-bike Smiley

I wish I could do the tour again, so psyched (jealous) of everyone headed out this summer.  Good luck and have fun Smiley
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 08:07:04 AM by chickenwing » Logged

Topic Name: GDMBR Southbound, Departing June 24 Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 08:10:26 AM
bakerjw

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 08:10:26 AM »

Mountain lions... We spooked one up out of some grass near the top of Cabin Pass.

My wife and I (on our tandem) are skipping Flathead and Cabin pass so that we can spend a night in Fernie. Meet up with some locals that we met last year. From there though we're taking the TD route to where Lodgepole splits at Wigwam road. Then Wigwam down to Galton. I am really looking forward to the challenge of hiking a tandem up the wall.

Topic Name: GDMBR Southbound, Departing June 24 Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 03:21:09 AM
Keiths

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 03:21:09 AM »

Just found thus forum.  I'm leaving June 20 and going solo, but plan on taking my time and enjoying the scenery so we may run into each other.  Either way hope you enjoy it - this is my first and I'm pretty psyched.

Topic Name: GDMBR Southbound, Departing June 24 Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 04:43:51 PM
threepin

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 04:43:51 PM »

Lilli,
don't know if you are reading this still but i would not worry too much about water this year till you are well on your way. As far as wildlife i also really would not worry as most of the route has great sightline's. Do learn how to hang your food and keep smells out of your camp but don't worry about critters, instead consider yourself lucky to see them. Also 1 lesson i learned the hard way years ago is to keep salty items, gloves clothing etc in your tent and away from all the cute animals that you aren't afraid of- cost me a helmet once.
I might be able to join for a bit depending on timing and live on the route- if you need information about the NW montana part of the route feel free to PM me

Bill

Topic Name: GDMBR Southbound, Departing June 24 Reply #7 on: March 07, 2020, 01:59:13 PM
Superheat

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2020, 01:59:13 PM »

Im leaving southbound July 17th.

Topic Name: GDMBR Southbound, Departing June 24 Reply #8 on: June 05, 2020, 09:34:55 PM
Hambone

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2020, 09:34:55 PM »

I am contemplating a late-June/early-July southbound departure.

Anyone riding full-suspension?

Topic Name: GDMBR Southbound, Departing June 24 Reply #9 on: June 06, 2020, 09:49:24 PM
Superheat

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2020, 09:49:24 PM »

I was planning on July departure with full suspension but just found out my flights were canceled. Possibly will do next year.

Topic Name: GDMBR Southbound, Departing June 24 Reply #10 on: June 14, 2020, 09:23:31 AM
threepin

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2020, 09:23:31 AM »

Hambone,
It might be a bit later than your time frame till the border is fully opened, there is a lot of sentiment for keeping Yanks out of canada for a while longer till infection rates come down

Topic Name: GDMBR Southbound, Departing June 24 Reply #11 on: June 14, 2020, 03:58:23 PM
adlu

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2020, 03:58:23 PM »

Hi, has anyone found a source of updated information about which towns are closed along the GDMBR and which are welcoming cyclists?  I'm planning to start in Colorado in July and head North to the border, or past the border if Canada opens up before then.

Thanks!

Topic Name: GDMBR Southbound, Departing June 24 Reply #12 on: June 14, 2020, 05:05:36 PM
threepin

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2020, 05:05:36 PM »

I think that as you get closer to the date you could ask for input, I live right on the route outside of whitefish and could give you an answer for right now but I guess that is subject to change as a month currently seems like an aeon. Right now my gut would be that a solo respectful cyclist would be just fine. Eureka mt for example never really acknowledged that anything was happening. Whitefish is inundated with tons of out of staters - as would be most tourist towns. A cyclist with their shit together is the least of anyones worries.

Topic Name: GDMBR Southbound, Departing June 24 Reply #13 on: June 16, 2020, 09:42:29 AM
threepin

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2020, 09:42:29 AM »

border closure now extended to 7/21

Topic Name: GDMBR Southbound, Departing June 24 Reply #14 on: June 17, 2020, 05:44:06 PM
adlu

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2020, 05:44:06 PM »

I think that as you get closer to the date you could ask for input, I live right on the route outside of whitefish and could give you an answer for right now but I guess that is subject to change as a month currently seems like an aeon. Right now my gut would be that a solo respectful cyclist would be just fine. Eureka mt for example never really acknowledged that anything was happening. Whitefish is inundated with tons of out of staters - as would be most tourist towns. A cyclist with their shit together is the least of anyones worries.

Thanks for your input! I'll definitely ask again as I get closer.
For others who are planning trips this summer, just wanted to let you know that the most active forum I've found is this one on Facebook. I know, it sucks that it's on FB.  Please let me know if you know of any other good sources of real-time info.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1598465316864625/

Thanks!

Topic Name: GDMBR Southbound, Departing June 24 Reply #15 on: June 17, 2020, 06:52:55 PM
threepin

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2020, 06:52:55 PM »

there are people out riding it now, just saw a guy pass my driveway, soaked with way way too much stuff
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: