Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: GDMBR Banff to Whitefish Mid August on: February 02, 2018, 02:04:30 PM
Roberth

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2018, 02:04:30 PM »

Hi,

I'm tentatively planning a week doing the GDMBR from Banff to Whitefish in Mid August, and was wondering about the weather etc.

I get that most people start earlier if they're doing the whole thing, but is there any major disadvantage of doing the Canadian section at this time of year?

I'm thinking wildlife, weather and water.

I'm also open to riding with someone, aiming to make Whitefish from Banff in 7-8 days of riding starting on a Saturday

Thanks

Topic Name: GDMBR Banff to Whitefish Mid August Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 02:49:42 PM
Iowagriz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 02:49:42 PM »

Weather should be great, could be on the hot side, but that depends on what you are used to for heat.  Only downside that I can think of will be the possibility of fires.  But, seems to be a strong winter in that area this year, so hopefully the snowfall will keep the summer fires to a minimum.

Have a great trip!

Topic Name: GDMBR Banff to Whitefish Mid August Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 01:20:50 PM
Pirahna

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 01:20:50 PM »

I left Banff in mid August last year. The weather was great, nice hot days, the first rain I saw was a wet afternoon coming into Butte. I saw very little wildlife in Canada, I think it had all gone to higher ground to keep cool. A couple of guys I met said they saw a bear between Banff and Spray Lake, I only saw a couple of deer the whole way. For water I used a 2 litre bladder in my frame bag and topped it up as I went along with an MSR Trailshot filter, there is definitely no shortage of water in Canada. The first time I carried more than 2 litres was across the basin when I carried 8 litres but you're not going that far.

As mentioned forest fires were a problem. I got as far as Holland Lake then had to turn back to the road. I took the highway to Seeley Lake and spent a couple of hours watching the water bomber planes landing and taking off, then back on the highway to Ovando and again to Lincoln. From Lincoln I didn't encounter any fires until Colorado. Holland Lake is well past Whitefish.

Topic Name: GDMBR Banff to Whitefish Mid August Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 01:30:48 PM
Roberth

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 01:30:48 PM »

Thanks for the replies - good to know.

Topic Name: GDMBR Banff to Whitefish Mid August Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 02:42:19 PM
Roberth

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 02:42:19 PM »

Just to revisit this - my work  travel schedule is now pushing me to move this to the second week in September.

Looking at climate data it drops about 10 degrees but only gets a little wetter.

Can anyone comment on this? Will pushing this a month make a huge difference? If so - where would you go instead - pretty much anywhere in the continental US is possible.

Thanks

Robert
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: