Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Bradshaw Mtns Bikepacking Interest? on: September 13, 2012, 07:15:10 PM
markphx

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2012, 07:15:10 PM »

In preparation for the Coconino 250, I am planning on doing an overnight shakedown ride from the staging area near the old landing strip just north of Lake Pleasant to Mount Union, with a pit stop in Crown King (CK) on the way up for a meal and a cold beverage. Northbound, I'll be pedaling on Cow Creek Rd and then connecting with Senator Highway and making a stop off route to hit CK. From CK, I'll hop back on to Senator Highway and take Trail #275 (Arrastra Creek Trail) to it's junction with Trail #284 (Yankee Doodle Trail) and from there to Mount Union Summit. Southbound, I'll follow the same route out, skipping CK if I can find water up there or making another detour in CK for water, if necessary. I'm still working on the route trying to see if I can add more trail and less dirt road, but I know that Senator Hwy is moto'd out in some spots which should at least make for some interesting riding. The round trip mileage is around 100 miles with enough climbing to keep things from being terribly easy. I was planning on riding the route September 22 - 23 or September 29 - 30. As of now, I'm leaning towards the earlier dates. Anyone care to join?

Mark

Topic Name: Bradshaw Mtns Bikepacking Interest? Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 09:44:39 PM
markphx

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 09:44:39 PM »

After some research, I discovered that a portion of Senator Highway (between Forest Rd 362 and Tuscumbia Trail) is closed due to washed out portions of the road from heavy rain. The closure is in effect until September 30 or sooner. I guess this route is going to have to go back in the pocket and saved for a future date. Maybe late October?

Topic Name: Bradshaw Mtns Bikepacking Interest? Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 04:49:38 PM
cheeseunit

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 04:49:38 PM »

I'd be interested in riding this section in late October . Should be cooler anyway icon_biggrin

I wish I could ride a bike...well.

Topic Name: Bradshaw Mtns Bikepacking Interest? Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 05:17:59 PM
markphx

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 05:17:59 PM »

I'd be interested in riding this section in late October . Should be cooler anyway icon_biggrin
The only weekend I can go in October is October 20 & 21. Let me know if that works for you. I think that Senator Hwy should be open, since the forest order expired yesterday.

Mark

Topic Name: Bradshaw Mtns Bikepacking Interest? Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 03:38:42 PM
Chad B

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 03:38:42 PM »

How did it go?

Topic Name: Bradshaw Mtns Bikepacking Interest? Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 04:21:20 PM
markphx

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 04:21:20 PM »

How did it go?
Ended up riding the Wonderschlautt Epic instead. I'm still wanting to do a weekend trip up there before the end of the year, but I know it's gonna get cold. From some information I found on advrider.com, it seems the Prescott National Forest Service closed a few trails up there due to the Gladiator Fire; Arrastra Creek Trail being one of them (was planning on using Arrastra Creek as a connector to Yankee Doodle). Who knows, I think it's still worth checking out. While researching the Bradshaws, I ended up stumbling across a recon trek you did up there a couple of years back. You ever end up going back for further exploration?
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: