Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: bikepacking up PCH on: February 13, 2013, 04:14:12 PM
ahlee15

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2013, 04:14:12 PM »

I have never done bike packing before and I really would like to try it.  I want to start with something easy and just straightforward.  Would bikepacking up PCH from Huntington Beach to Santa Barbara be a good beginners route?  Plus do you have any tips for a newbie, like what to bring and where to go for some gear and expert advice? How should I spread out my trip? What can I expect and what to be prepared for? Any feedback would be great, actually. I also would definitely not object to anyone who would like to join me.  I'm thinking about doing this Mid May as soon as school gets out.

Topic Name: bikepacking up PCH Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 04:42:51 PM
ascar_larkinyar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 04:42:51 PM »

from the parts of riding on PCH most of the concern was traffic.  if there's a bike lane, your as safe as anywhere else in so. cali(not really...lol), but there are parts that your just on the shoulder and cars are buzzing really close at high speeds while they are texting and checking their rear mirror and the kids in the back are yelling and day dreaming and asleep at the wheel.

please be careful

use a flashy rear light and bright clothes.

Topic Name: bikepacking up PCH Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 05:01:11 PM
EricB

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 05:01:11 PM »

Huntington to Santa Monica there are a decent amount of bike lanes. North of that is less fun, especially the stretch between Santa Monica and Malibu.

Something to consider: if you're headed south to north along PCH you're most likely going to have a decent headwind to contend with, especially in the afternoon. You may either want to switch directions and start in Santa Barbara, that way you'll have a tail wind for most of it.

But, yeah, it's all road riding with LOTS of cars flying by.

Topic Name: bikepacking up PCH Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 09:15:11 AM
Luc

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 09:15:11 AM »

I am pretty sure you know about this one but just in case. I rode for fun the bike path/trail along the PCH from Temescal cyn ( malibu) to Manhattan beach, busy on week-end with runners and cyclists, but all are well behaved. I was told the path goes even further down south. I would leave early in AM, beat the crowd. After Malibu until Point Mugu, road is wide and bike lane has plenty space. Have fun and ride safe Smiley

Topic Name: bikepacking up PCH Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 09:50:35 PM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 09:50:35 PM »

Add in a sidetrack through Malibu Creek state park via the old M.A.S.H. site, some great trails through there. I'm sure you could even piece together something through Santa Monica mtns to link up with the south end.

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: bikepacking up PCH Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 04:44:49 PM
JRA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 04:44:49 PM »

Check the California State Parks website for Hiker/Biker camping info.  Hiker/Biker campsites are very affordable, $7.00/night if I remember correctly.  Plus, many of the Ca. State Park campgrounds have hot showers - always a bonus!

I don't know what the question is - but the answer is: Lubrication!
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: