Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Ambition to bike Chile from top to bottom on: May 24, 2022, 05:42:05 PM
Sjoerd

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2022, 05:42:05 PM »

Hello there,

I'm a 22 year old student from the Netherlands who wants to bike from the top to the bottom of Chile. I have cycled from the most Northern point of Norway to Spain when I was 18. This year I will cycle the rest of Spain so I will have done North to South Europe.

In 2020 a friend of mine died due to a sudden epilepsy attack. Ever since, I've been wanting to do a special cycling trip to raise money for epilepsy. My goal is to cycle Chile from top to bottom within a month. However, I've been having a difficult time finding proper routes. I would like to know if it's possible and somewhat safe. I ride with a Cannondale gravelbike and only take what is absolutely necessary so I can do around 200km a day. If people would be willing to help me figure out routes and help me towards accomplishing this, I would very much appreciate it.

Thank you and kind regards,

Sjoerd Overstegen

Topic Name: Ambition to bike Chile from top to bottom Reply #1 on: May 25, 2022, 02:44:39 PM
RonK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2022, 02:44:39 PM »

I did some research on this a few years ago but never made the trip.

The main route south (through Patagonia) from Santiago is the Carretera Austral. I'm not sure about the route north as it's not visited by many cyclists, but it's a narrow coastal strip and there is probably only one route.

There are some journals on crazyguyonabike.com covering Patagonia.

https://www.outdoorroamers.com/cycle-the-carretera-austral/

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Topic Name: Ambition to bike Chile from top to bottom Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 05:05:23 AM
Two Tired

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 05:05:23 AM »

Hello Sjoerd,

Here are some more suggestions.
Lucy and Alberto's journal chronicling their route through South America:

https://machacasonwheels.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html

Shinpei Sakiyama also has shared information about his adventure in South America:

http://sakiyanma.blog.fc2.com/blog-category-29-1.html

Topic Name: Ambition to bike Chile from top to bottom Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 05:15:13 AM
Sjoerd

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 05:15:13 AM »

Hey,

Thank you for the links.
I've just been puzzling routes from different sources together to get a full path from the far north to far south.
Machacasonwheels is new to me and helpful.
My problem is that I can't see what type of roads they are when looking at most routes.
I believe they have a highway with a cycling path next to it.
Whether it's safe I'm not sure.
I just want to do the fastest route because I'll only have a month to do it.
If anyone comes across a useful article or route on the less known parts (far-north and far-south), please let me know.

Thank you!
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: