Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 10 Week Tour of Japan 2017 on: August 19, 2016, 09:49:31 PM
Allan_333

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2016, 09:49:31 PM »

I know its planning a bit far ahead, but that's my style. I am planning an end to end tour of Japan (Cape Sata to Cape Soya) over 10 weeks (26th Aug 17 – 4th Nov 17). These dates are so that the weather won’t be too hot in the south or too cold in the north and it won’t be in the high rain fall months either.

About me:
I'm 26, Australian (don't hold that against me). Speak/Read enough Japanese to get by and have a pretty decent conversation.

I have been to Japan a number of times, and ridden in Japan before from Cape Soya in Hokkaido to Nagano just NW of Tokyo. I pack fairly lightly, and although speed isn’t really a factor, I intend to average 15km/h (10mph) when on the bike. I’m also pretty good amateur bicycle mechanic, I can fix just about any problem.

I should also say, that during the tour I plan to camp and stay in hotels/guesthouses, since food is so cheap in Japan, I don’t plan on cooking any meals.

For the trip I will be taking a new touring bike build, built with a 2017 Kona Sutra frameset, SON28 Dynamo hub, 700c wheel build and, Shimano XT T8000 groupset.

If you’re interested let me know and we can chat a bit more.

Topic Name: 10 Week Tour of Japan 2017 Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 07:21:57 PM
KittyOnMyFoot

Forest Dweller

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 07:21:57 PM »

A friend and I will be bicycle touring in Japan for the month of October (fly into Tokyo, probably ride over to Fuji and back? He's making it up as he goes).

Do you know what their, eh, policy is about using hammocks? I'd much rather use my hammock tent if it won't be an issue.
Also, do you know of any rules or regulations that are unique to Japan? The word on the street is that bicycle bells are required.

Topic Name: 10 Week Tour of Japan 2017 Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 04:57:44 AM
Allan_333

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 04:57:44 AM »

A friend and I will be bicycle touring in Japan for the month of October (fly into Tokyo, probably ride over to Fuji and back? He's making it up as he goes).

Do you know what their, eh, policy is about using hammocks? I'd much rather use my hammock tent if it won't be an issue.
Also, do you know of any rules or regulations that are unique to Japan? The word on the street is that bicycle bells are required.

I have toured in Japan a few times now, and spent in total about 2 years in Japan, so I know all about the rules/laws.

Camping anywhere in Japan except for designated camping sites that you normal need to pay for is illegal in Japan. However, if you camp somewhere that won’t annoy anybody nobody will care, not even the police. River banks and local parks (after the kids have gone to bed) are good places. You might be able to use a hammock, but it will severely restrict the places where you can set up camp.

Laws in Japan that are enforced:
You don’t need a helmet unless you’re under 12 years’ old.
You can’t ride drunk.
At night you must have a front light and a rear reflector.

Laws in Japan that are not enforced:
You must have a bell.
You are not allowed to ride on the sidewalk, unless there is a sign saying you can but they are rare.
Your bicycle must be register with your local prefecture.

Also if you are going to take the train, they are very stricked about your bike being packed “Rinko”

Hope this all helps, have fun, and try Katsudon.

Topic Name: 10 Week Tour of Japan 2017 Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 07:49:50 PM
KittyOnMyFoot

Forest Dweller

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 07:49:50 PM »

Rinko? We don't have any plans for train travel, but still.

Topic Name: 10 Week Tour of Japan 2017 Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 04:49:09 AM
Allan_333

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 04:49:09 AM »

Rinko? We don't have any plans for train travel, but still.

If you're not going on a train, then I would worry about Rinko, its just a special way of packing bicycles in Japan, involving removing both wheels, pedals, turn handlebars, and fixing them all together. Its not worth the hasle.

Topic Name: 10 Week Tour of Japan 2017 Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 09:48:27 PM
KittyOnMyFoot

Forest Dweller

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 09:48:27 PM »

...kind of like how we'll be packing them for the flight over?

Topic Name: 10 Week Tour of Japan 2017 Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 11:23:08 AM
Sparkyga

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 11:23:08 AM »

Pretty much as long as nobody thinks your a threat in Japan, nobody will care. I got to a point in Japan where I just slept in public spaces like park shelters and in bus stations/public bathrooms if the weather was terrible (often). It's so easy to find free shelter that I didn't carry any tent/bivy even when bad weather was coming.

Enjoy the tour. I loved living in Japan and road touring there is top notch!
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: