Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Where are the bikepackers hanging out? on: March 06, 2017, 04:10:10 PM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« on: March 06, 2017, 04:10:10 PM »

Hello everyone.  As a long-time member of the community here I've got a question for all.

I have been pretty absent around here as of late, so I am not casting stones.  BUT - coming back to the forum, I can't help but notice the lack of activity and chatter.  Based on my business and on the internet at large, it appears that bikepacking certainly hasn't decreased in popularity over the last couple years.  Sooo... where's everyone hanging out?  I'm not aware of any forum that is providing the same sort of broad public community support that this site does.  I am aware that there are WAY more bikepacking-centric sites out there than even a year or two ago (some of them excellent) - but none that I know of have a forum, a place for community Q-and-A, opinions, real-world experiences, etc.

What gives?  There are forums for everything, and I can't imagine that there just aren't enough bikepackers in the world to support a thriving online community.  I know, I know, "go outside, get off the internet", but that's not a helpful answer.  There's no shortage of Instagram posts tagged #bikepacking, so it ain't that bikepackers are just too crunchy to spend time online.

Scott, have you wondered about this?

BEDROCK BAGS - Hand crafted, rock solid, made in the USA.  Established 2012.
www.bedrockbags.com

Ever since I began riding singlespeed my life has been on a path of self-destruction.

Topic Name: Where are the bikepackers hanging out? Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 06:12:42 AM
Vonpotter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 06:12:42 AM »

I think forums in general are down. I run a couple of cruiser forums elsewhere on the internet, and I have seen a steady decline in participation. I think the biggest problem there is the fact that most forums aren't optimized for mobile, and posting pictures tends to be a big PITA, causing people to favor more user-friendly mediums like Facebook, Instagram and the like.

I wonder if the forum hosting sites will take notice to this in the next few years.

Topic Name: Where are the bikepackers hanging out? Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 07:10:03 AM
Iowagriz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 07:10:03 AM »

Facebook seems to have taken a lot of the traffic.  There is a page for the 2017 Tour Divide and another called "Endurance Rides and Bikepacking".

I think it is unfortunate, I like the format of forums.  People don't seem to research for old threads on Facebook, thus a lot of redundant questions and topics.

Topic Name: Where are the bikepackers hanging out? Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 04:13:22 PM
Alpinist112

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 04:13:22 PM »

I am also old fashioned. :-)
I would like to see more trips here ... Bikepacking setups discussions. More about beer and pedaling or fly fishing and food joints. I like this forum and don't really want to spend more time on Facebook.

I am also member:
http://forums.mtbr.com/bikepacking-bike-expedition/

Zoran

Advocate Cycles Hyduke

Topic Name: Where are the bikepackers hanging out? Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 04:28:16 PM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 04:28:16 PM »

Thanks for the replies.  I'm not old-fashioned!  Wink  Okay, maybe a little.  Forum posts make more sense to me than hashtags and emoji conversations.

I'll stick with this site, I've never been into Facebook.  Maybe as summer comes on things will get a little busier.

Plus, there are people on here I've known for years, but only through this site!

BEDROCK BAGS - Hand crafted, rock solid, made in the USA.  Established 2012.
www.bedrockbags.com

Ever since I began riding singlespeed my life has been on a path of self-destruction.

Topic Name: Where are the bikepackers hanging out? Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 04:33:08 PM
Alpinist112

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 04:33:08 PM »

Periodically I spent time on Ride With GPS searching for ideas. I wish we have depository of ideas in gpx form with interesting stops, wild camps or good brewery etc.

Zoran

Advocate Cycles Hyduke

Topic Name: Where are the bikepackers hanging out? Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 10:24:09 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 10:24:09 PM »

Welcome back Joey, hope things are going well buddy!

My two cents..

I think bikepacking has been around long enough now and there's enough information out there on so many topics it really depends on what people are looking for.

*If it's noobs looking for gear setups... there is plenty of that on the google. Specific questions have been asked to death and a simple search will find answers with pics, blogs, etc.
*People looking for trip ideas... plenty of good sites as you mention. Many have GPS and point to point info re: resupply, accommodations, POI's etc..
*People staying in touch... Facebook, insta, etc..
*Racing... many of the bigger races have spawned sub communities of their own with FB groups; TD, CTR.

And when it comes down to forums, this it IT. The mtbr one which I check in on every once in a while seems a lot more noobcentric, which is fine. I still come here probably more than I should because it's always been a very positive, respectful and informative place to write things down, share ideas and stoke and interact.

Plus, we're in the off season right now! The CTR stoke you posted is a great way to get people fired up for summer.
The first of the three 'classics' fires off in a month from now, that'll get things going on here!

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: Where are the bikepackers hanging out? Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 05:41:01 PM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 05:41:01 PM »

I am one of the admins for the Facebook groups mentioned above.  I think there has been so much information and educating in regards to  bikepacking, races, gear etc that we have seen a notable lull in information exchange.  As new gear and innovative  technology continues, activity  levels will rise and fall respectively.

I love my groups and the people they are comprised of, along with the international information sharing. I also love this site as I easily tire of the distractions on Facebook, to include politics, ads, photos etc. I come here often to scan the posts and read up.

It's great to be a part of so many wonderful groups.

No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another. ― Charles Dickens

Topic Name: Where are the bikepackers hanging out? Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 06:45:19 AM
cpblue

Cut it with a multi tool

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 06:45:19 AM »

Hate to resurrect an old thread, but I'd like to see a "trip" thread as well.  Lots of good folks here with great things to share.  Facebook can be too busy to navigate through and other sites seem to get off the rails more often than not.  There might not be as much traffic here, but there's always something interesting to read about.  I'd just like to see more of it.  Thanks.

Topic Name: Where are the bikepackers hanging out? Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 12:55:12 PM
chrisx

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 12:55:12 PM »

bikepacking.net no longer pops up on the first page when you use google.
Could this have something to do with ?
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: