Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: How to contribute (new products to review, trip reports, personal setups) on: September 17, 2008, 05:59:43 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« on: September 17, 2008, 05:59:43 PM »

I just added some instructions on how to add content to the main site.  They are on the main menu of the site, but here's a direct link:

http://www.bikepacking.net/how-to-contribute-to-bikepackingnet

It does require setting up an account that is separate from the forum account.  I looked at some options to have the forums integrated with the content management system, but didn't like anything I could find.  Hopefully it's not too much of an issue (I imagine some users will only participate in the forum anyway).

For those that already signed up for a wordpress account, you were defaulted to subscriber status, but I have upgraded everyone to contributor status.

That means you can add new gear products, trip reports and personal setups.

Anything you care to add would be most appreciated.  There's too much stuff from me already.   Roll Eyes

If anything about the process is unclear or doesn't work, leave a comment on the instructions page, or post here.

Thanks.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: How to contribute (new products to review, trip reports, personal setups) Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 08:21:50 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 08:21:50 AM »

It was pointed out that contributors couldn't upload/add images.

Now they can!

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: How to contribute (new products to review, trip reports, personal setups) Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 03:20:19 PM
Pivvay

Riding and exploring

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 03:20:19 PM »

Thanks scott. I signed up yesterday but could not figure out how to add content. I will start (slowly).

-Chris Plesko

Topic Name: How to contribute (new products to review, trip reports, personal setups) Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 11:00:16 AM
Goatrak

Slo bikepacker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 11:00:16 AM »

Just want to say thanks for getting this site going, I'll definitely contribute what I can, and hopefully learn alot.

However, I can't seem to figure out how to add a photo to a reply in the forum, say for instance this reply. I've done the wordpress account, but don't understand how that helps. Sorry for being a dumbass, but so far it's beyond me.

Topic Name: How to contribute (new products to review, trip reports, personal setups) Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 11:21:41 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 11:21:41 AM »

Hi,

Sorry for the confusion.

A WordPress account is only needed to add Trip Reports, Products and Personal Bikepacking Setups to the main site.

A forum account is all you need, and you should be able to add images using the "additional options" header below the post area.  If you click there an "Attach" option shows up that allows you to choose images from your computer to upload.  Right now the max attachment size is 500k, so keep images under that.  5 images can be posted per post.

The other way (and how some others have done it so far) is to host images on another site (like Picasa, or Flicker) and use html < img > tags to post html code pointing to them.  This gains the advantage that you can put them inline in a story, instead of at the end.  You can also have as many pictures as you want.

But either way works.

Don't hesitate to ask again if something isn't clear.

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: