Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: White Rim Trail (Moab) on: August 25, 2012, 08:43:53 AM
seanstokley

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2012, 08:43:53 AM »

Going to be traveling through Utah in October and was thinking taking a day to bang out a one-day ride around White Rim Trail in Moab. What's the best way to tackle the route clockwise or counter clockwise? Thanks in advance....

sean

Topic Name: White Rim Trail (Moab) Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 09:04:27 AM
danimal

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 09:04:27 AM »

I have ridden the White Rim twice, both times clockwise.  One was a three day, self-supported and the other a five day.  I like to go slow.  It is well worth riding.  I really can't think of any particular reason why one way or another would be better.  Except maybe this:  I think the Colorado River side is a little more spectacular visually.  So maybe having that later in the loop (going CCW) would be a nice booster for the one-day rider.  Either way, you have a healthy climb to finish with.  People often seem to do this loop by leaving a car at the JCT of Rt 313 and the Mineral Bottom Road/Horsethief Trail.  A modest variation that I have used is to camp and park at a small 6 or 8 site campground a couple of miles south of there on the west side of 313,  it's really easy to miss.  A double track goes right out of the campground west to a point a few miles down the MBR/HtT.  Saves a little pavement and a little of the MBR, which is kind of busy with trucks going fast and boats and other dust and noise makers.  Worked for me anyway.  Have a great ride, it's a wonderful place.  ABSOLUTELY do not miss the spur out to White Crack.  Lousy sandy climb, but not to be missed.

Topic Name: White Rim Trail (Moab) Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 03:08:15 PM
seanstokley

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 03:08:15 PM »

Thanks so much for the info. Did you haul your own water these whole trips or are there areas along this route where you can scramble down off the bike & trail and pump/treat water out of the rivers? Information I've read to date is no potable water along the route but wondering the feasibility of sourcing water out of the rivers. You have me thinking about doing this over a couple of days now... Take care

sean

Topic Name: White Rim Trail (Moab) Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 04:13:59 PM
Shirey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 04:13:59 PM »

I've ridden it twice in 1-day efforts, and have done it exactly the same both times cause it just seems the best way to me.

Park at the bottom of Mineral Bottoms Road by the boat ramp and ride clockwise.

Major benefit is that you get the biggest climb done immediately, plus knocking out the relatively boring road to paved park road section first. Plus, right when you need it, about mile 68 on the top of Murphy's Hogback, you will get a 21-mile downhill all the way to the Hardscrabble climb.

I would plan on taking all water with you. You could feasibly get down to the river in places but it wouldn't be super easy. I guess if you started in a different spot then you could easily get to the river when you got to the Mineral Bottoms area, but that's not how we've done it.

First time we had a buddy ride his motorcycle in the opposite direction and he dropped a cache and carried more until he met us. Last April in cooler temps we carried everything. I had 160 liters in bladders and about 50 ounces of gatorade and made it fine. Our pacts were extremely heavy to start, but obviously it eased up as we drank it up.

Have fun!

Topic Name: White Rim Trail (Moab) Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 11:16:06 AM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 11:16:06 AM »

Hi Ski_Loveland: what time of year did you do your White Rim rides?

Topic Name: White Rim Trail (Moab) Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 10:25:42 AM
Shirey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 10:25:42 AM »

Hi Woodland,

Once was right about this tijme... first week of September... hot!, we had a motorcycle support for water drops.

Last time was early last April... much cooler and we carried everythng.

Topic Name: White Rim Trail (Moab) Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 03:30:48 PM
woody

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 03:30:48 PM »

I have done it twice in a day and once was counter-clockwise and the second time was clockwise. I'd say counter-clockwise. We parked at the top of Schafer Trail parking lot. We got the road miles to Mineral Bottom Rd. out of the way very early morning since this section is paved and we call it "free miles". The morning we set out we were riding on 313 in the dark and a meteor popped through the atmosphere and lite the whole plateau up like the sun was out for about 5-10 seconds streaking across the sky - It was AWESOME!!! This way once you climb out of Schafer Trail you car/truck is there and you're done.
We drove out the day before and stashed a gallon of water for each rider about 25-30 miles from the finish, which was nice.
We did it in May both times, but October should be nice although you will have shorter daylight.
Enjoy it,
Woody

Edited: Man I'm getting confused which way was clockwise and counter-clockwise up on top of Schafer trail. BangHead
I know it shouldn't be that difficult...
Woody
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 04:53:33 AM by woody » Logged

Topic Name: White Rim Trail (Moab) Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 03:46:04 PM
moabjason

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 03:46:04 PM »

I like clockwise, seems like there are more sandy downhills that way that utherwise you would have to climb.

Topic Name: White Rim Trail (Moab) Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 11:20:40 AM
hmaddox

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 11:20:40 AM »

I have a tentative plan to do White Rim Road in late April, then head back to Moab and take the Kokopelli all the way to Fruita. My rig right now is a Karate Monkey set up SS and rigid. I'm not an experienced bikepacker. Will I want a suspension fork and gears? I don't mind walking the hills but I don't want a hand injury. White Rim Road looks smooth enough but I'm not sure about the Kokopelli. I have Ergon grips. I'd appreciate a testimonial from anyone who's done one or both with a rigid fork and/or single speed. Thanks!

Topic Name: White Rim Trail (Moab) Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 04:04:51 PM
moabjason

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 04:04:51 PM »

Have done white rim in a day on a rigid single speed oger and kokpelli in a day rigid geared 1st gen fargo.  White rim is definatly easier mostly dirt road with a few mild tech spots mabey 7-8k of climbing. kokpelli has some long rocky two track roads coming down into fisher valley and cottonwood cayon, and the end at troy built it's pretty tech. What I have learned about riding rigid is you just get use to it on long rides and your riding style adapts. The big issue for both trails if your doing multi day rides is water.

Topic Name: White Rim Trail (Moab) Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 07:51:13 PM
DaveC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 07:51:13 PM »

I've done WRIAD numerous times in both directions (several times rigid and once on a cross bike with a 35c tire in the rear), and Koko in a day once each way (E-W was rigid SS). 

Koko is much harder and more punishing.  After that rigid ride my pinkie fingers were numb for several days (and I bought a suspension fork).  Rigid on the White Rim is not a big deal if you're properly conditioned.  The cross bike sucked because of all the sand.

Easiest way to do White Rim is CW from the bottom of Mineral.  Climbing Mineral is much easier than climbing Schafer.  Hardscrabble is easier CW, Murphys is easier CCW. 

Don't overthink it though, the biggest difference by far will be how much headwind you get.  The time I rode it with the best fitness and the most effort was the slowest because I had a headwind from Hardscrabble all the way (CCW) back to the truck at the Mineral turnoff.

Topic Name: White Rim Trail (Moab) Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 08:45:58 PM
hmaddox

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 08:45:58 PM »

Thanks for the input. I guess the only thing I'm worried about is water. I plan to do White Rim in two days and I'm sure I could carry all the water I needed but I've read that support vehicles are "necessary" for Kokopelli's so I'm guessing a solo effort would be a bad idea? I don't live in the area so I really would be on my own and wouldn't have the time to leave caches along the route. How did you manage water?

Topic Name: White Rim Trail (Moab) Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 02:53:10 PM
DaveC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 02:53:10 PM »

If going CW on White Rim you can access the Green River late in the loop.  Silty, but quite drinkable.  Water on Koko isn't a big deal (by desert standards).  The various creeks in the Moab-Dewey section are good, and the longer section from the last CO river access to Westwater is fastish.  Salt Creek is drinkable, but tastes pretty bad (been there).

Topic Name: White Rim Trail (Moab) Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 10:20:49 AM
jakomait

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 10:20:49 AM »

Got a few basic questions since it looks like I might give this a whirl Thanksgiving weekend and I've done zero research so far.
-is it 100 miles for the loop?  I just had two different people tell me it was 80miles then 130 miles?!
-is there anyway to cut into the loop from the east without needing cams and a rope?  I may have to ride it from town and getting up 313 is going to add another 50 miles there and back.
-any idea what the sand is like right now?

It is better to regret the things you've done than the things you haven't.

Topic Name: White Rim Trail (Moab) Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 08:46:53 AM
JCarr13

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 08:46:53 AM »

Yo Jesse. Did you end up hitting up the White Rim? Have some beta for you if you are still planning on it. Although your post said you would do it on Thanksgiving. Let me know!

Topic Name: White Rim Trail (Moab) Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 09:20:47 AM
jakomait

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 09:20:47 AM »

Hey Jordan, thanks for the offer for info.  I did do it on Black Friday and had a great time.
http://app.strava.com/activities/29627717
conditions were peachy and logistics turned out to be a snap!

It is better to regret the things you've done than the things you haven't.

Topic Name: White Rim Trail (Moab) Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 09:27:46 AM
hmaddox

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 09:27:46 AM »

Because I live car-free here in Arkansas, I'd have to rent a car to get out there (cheaper than flying, more convenient than bus service). I know there are a few car rental operations in Green River, UT. I found a bike route from Green River to Canyonlands on "Dubinky Well Road" -- anyone familiar with that? Alternatively, I found a route from Moab to Canyonlands that utilizes UT-279 S, Potash Road and Co Rd 142 that looks like it actually connects with Schafer Trail and White Rim Road from the northeast.

My plan is to drop the rental car off at a place near the park and pedal my way in and back out (so I don't pay for two extra days of a car rental I won't be using). What are my options? Would a shuttle be a better idea? Can anyone in Moab confirm the presence of a rental car company in town? Thanks!

Topic Name: White Rim Trail (Moab) Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 05:26:56 PM
windowace

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 05:26:56 PM »

I did a little exploring when driving out of Moab about a year ago, and I believe I was on Dubinky Well rd., Dumas Pt. rd, Blue Hills and some others in that area. What I was on was pretty sandy in several areas.  It would be a real grunt to ride (if even possible).  But if you don't mind a walk on the 'beach' with your bike it will get you to 313.

Topic Name: White Rim Trail (Moab) Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 03:52:39 PM
frejwilk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 03:52:39 PM »

hmaddox,

There is an Enterprise car rental in Moab. They are located at the airport (15miles north of town). I believe they also have a location at the Moab Valley Inn in Moab, but you'd want to confirm that.

I'm not aware of car rentals in Green River. Which one(s) did you find? I'd definitely confirm that one and what they had available before making plans.

I didn't initially realize you might be planning a one-way rental car to Green River / Moab, and then another for the return trip. I've used one-way rental cars to return from several trips. It's usually a lot more expensive than daily rates (returned to the same location). Your research will determine if one-way rentals are reasonable.

As stated above, you'll find some sandy roads between Green River and hwy 313 towards Canyonlands. Taking Blue Hills rd to Dubinky Well rd would be the most rideable option. You had mentioned riding a self-supported two day White Rim. You'd be adding an extra unsupported day by starting from Green River as there are no services or water sources (at least not on an easily rideable route) on the way to Canyonlands. The Park foes not have water available outside of a vending machine for 20oz bottles at the visitor center.

Higher parts of the Kokopelli trail may not be rideable, even in late April. You'll probably be able to get through. Just be aware that conditions may not allow it. Hwy 128 to Dewey Bridge would bypass the high stuff if needed.

The easiest logistics for your trip might be to travel to Grand Junction, CO. Then use one of the commercial shuttle services out of Moab for a Moab-GJ shuttle at the beginning or end of your trip. Hwy 279 / Potash rd and the 'old hwy rec path' / Gemini Bridges rd are good ways to access the White Rim trail from Moab without driving to the park.

Eugenemtbing has another thread asking about self supported White Rim trips. More days makes self supporting exponentially tougher in my opinion. 2-3 days is doable, but needs some planning / experience. The Green river is accessible from the camp at Potato Bottom (and also many places between there and Mineral Bottom). I'd personally bring a large container to let it settle overnight and then filter from that. Not necessary of course - just nice. In theory, you can access the Colorado river via the Lathrop trail, but I wouldn't recommend making that effort especially on a first day.

Good luck with your trips,

FW
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 08:42:35 PM by frejwilk » Logged
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: