Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Wasatch Mountains on: May 17, 2012, 02:10:07 PM
GrizzlyAdam

View Profile WWW
« on: May 17, 2012, 02:10:07 PM »

I've poked around quite a bit in the past with a multi-day route in teh Wasatch/Uinta ranges. I settled on a 90 mile one-day course, and ran it as an underground event called the Wasatch Classic for a few years. But this area needs a solid multi-day route, and so I've recently gone back to the maps. Tons of options. Endless options. Lots of dirt roads, lots of singletrack. Loops, point to points, out and backs, it's all here. We are entering prime-riding season for the mountains, so I might have to do some scouting soon.

Anyone else been tinkering with a Wasatch area route?

Topic Name: Wasatch Mountains Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 03:04:21 PM
mikedeber

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 03:04:21 PM »

A few years ago I did Mantua to SLC staying in the mountains as much as possible.  There's some great stuff to be ridden on that route, the Skyline trails up north are some of the best singletracks around.  Heading south off Skyline Dr. has a more "adventure" (read: overgrown) feel to it. 

I've also done some really long rides starting in SLC and climbing up and over into PC, linking up all the regular stuff out that way and finishing with a big Crest descent into Mill Creek.  Pretty much unlimited potential there for mega-tours and plenty of options for mid-ride pizza etc.

Last summer I combined a sort-of Ride around Timp with a Ride around Cascade and back up into BCC.  A bit too much hiking/bushwacking on that one though. I put a couple of those rides in the Trip Report section on this site.

I think there are so many opportunities for linking up trails in our area that it would be hard to settle on a perfect route, but who knows, maybe there is a magic combo?.  Linking something back in the Diamond Fork/Strawberry Ridge area up to SLC/PC would be pretty cool.  Let me know if you're looking to get out and scout some rides, most of my riding friends aren't really into the multi-day thing

Topic Name: Wasatch Mountains Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 10:46:22 AM
GrizzlyAdam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 10:46:22 AM »

The trail between Timp and Baldy could be amazing, with a little TLC. Same with parts of the singletrack that parallels Timpooneke road.

Based on the map, I think it would be possible to ride from Bountiful, via Skyline, etc, to Evanston, WY, through the Uinta's, to Strawberry Res., and on into Provo Canyon, finishing in Orem, or other points north. That route would be 99% dirt road, and really long.

I think it'd be possible to do a Payson to Layton tour.

Take a look at www.skidmap.com, brilliant resource!

Topic Name: Wasatch Mountains Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 01:43:12 PM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 01:43:12 PM »

Would love to tour something like these routes out west. Been awhile since I've been to SLC and PC but I do love it. Was spending nearly a week every other month out there in 2005-2006 for work. Always wish I had a bike - but at that time it would have been road and canyon / pass riding. Now it would be dirt / jeep / single track if it is bikepackable.

Some pretty country from PC down to Provo.

Topic Name: Wasatch Mountains Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 03:11:34 PM
rfutah

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 03:11:34 PM »

Take a look at www.skidmap.com, brilliant resource!

Local and love it.  Already coming up with some day trips.  Thanks for posting.

Which way to Evanston?  Lost Creek Reservoir area?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 03:43:36 PM by rfutah » Logged

Topic Name: Wasatch Mountains Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 11:42:46 AM
KeneticSam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 11:42:46 AM »

Last fall I rode Bountiful B/Skyline to Big Mountain.  There was a bit of hike-a-bike up towards Grandview, but not too bad.  The trail from Grandview to Big Mountain was generally atrocious; with a bit of trail maintenance it would be an awesome ride.  It's a beautiful area. 
I've looked at maps a lot over the last few years, looking for good dirt tours in the Wasatch; I need to get out and ride/explore more.  Hooking up to Wasatch Plateau Skyline from SLC looks very do-able.

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: