Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Virginia Mountain Bike Trail on: September 09, 2012, 05:07:19 AM
sluttyduck

View Profile WWW
« on: September 09, 2012, 05:07:19 AM »

http://www.vabike.org/the-virginia-mountain-bike-trail/
I just read about that in the Blue Ridge magazine.
Does anyone have any info?
I've only found 100 miles of the trail on gpx, but that's it.

Topic Name: Virginia Mountain Bike Trail Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 06:07:42 AM
jhl99

USA-PA-SW

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 06:07:42 AM »

See reply #4 of this thread:

http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,2596.0.html

Topic Name: Virginia Mountain Bike Trail Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 07:02:59 AM
LiiT

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 07:02:59 AM »

If you look around, the trailhead listing and connections are around the interweb.  I've got it somewheres and will look for it as I'm considering that Allegheny 400 in a few weeks.  Just got the Advcycle maps yesterday for that route.  And i'll say The google route posted in the other thread looks pretty close. 

It's not that hard to figure out if you buy some of the NAT Geo maps or the natgeo TOPO for the area.  Probably about 4 or 5 total for that route ($12-$15ea).  The Nat geo grayson highlands map front and back covers the lower 25% of the route.  You need the Shenandoah and a couple others i can't member off the top of my head. 

Some friends and I ran the lower section from Pulaski to Damascus in May 2012.  It was a solid 3-4 day ride/approx 140 miles.  We did some alternates off the Va. HIghlands horse trail.  Some total bushwhacking.  Some ridiculous terrain that would be horrible for hiking without a bicycle.  Some of it was rippin smooth and fun though.   We didn't use shuttles, but it was a rough trip at several junctions due to terrain, route-finding, and weather.  Normal for any trip, but I'd say a good portion of the trail is not maintained or is just plain rough due to horses.  An adventure nonetheless...

I don't think the route is any big secret.  Send an email to one of the guys.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: