Pages: 1 [2]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Two big New Mexico Bikepacking Routes - wanna help me chart and ride them? Reply #20 on: October 23, 2015, 03:00:51 PM
wahday

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2015, 03:00:51 PM »

Wahday [name?],
How ironic that I just decided to bail on the Coco 250 and was perusing the bikepacking forums, out of remorse, and found this thread. Sorry for not having noticed it earlier. Especially since I live in Albuquerque and have ridden [and will ride] NMES/AZT/CTR type events. I plan on campaigning AZT/CTR next year and this would fit right into my training next spring... and perhaps even this Fall/Winter.
Until I get a chance to peruse the entire thread, I'll comment that I have ridden from Albuquerque to Cabezon two times, during what I call the Washboard 100. a.k.a. the San Ysidro Dirty 100 NMES race. In the past this course used the pipeline road which essentially goes form ABQ to Bloomfield. And almost every foot of it is covered in E150 washboards. Distilled, you would never want to intentionally ride this pipeline road. However, would be really cool if your route could include White Mesa...
BTW, I have an eTrex 30 and full version of TopoFusion. Send me a PM for rides. As a matter of fact, doing South Boundary this upcoming Oct. 10th Saturday.
More later,
Barry Ritchey

Hey Yogi,

Sorry I did not notice this post earlier. That's good feedback on the Pipeline Road conditions. I am stumped as to how else to get up there from Albuquerque and still avoid pavement though. You can get to Bernalillo mostly within the bosque but it is still a haul from there to White Mesa though. Still might be better than Pipeline though from the sound of it. I agree adding WM to the route would be great.

Geekonabike has been helping out with the section between Pie Town and Magdalena. He made a first go of it and got hung up at some private land so we have been looking at work arounds. He is hoping to head out again soon - tenacious!

I live in ABQ and have corresponded with a few area bikepackers. PM if you want to talk further.

Topic Name: Two big New Mexico Bikepacking Routes - wanna help me chart and ride them? Reply #21 on: March 11, 2017, 10:43:34 PM
highdesertocean

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2017, 10:43:34 PM »

I'm in Santa Fe, me and a few friends would like in on this work in progress...

Mat

Topic Name: Two big New Mexico Bikepacking Routes - wanna help me chart and ride them? Reply #22 on: May 02, 2017, 11:50:31 AM
Inertiaman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2017, 11:50:31 AM »

I'm in Santa Fe, me and a few friends would like in on this work in progress...

You may not have noticed you are replying to a 2 year old thread. 

However, if you want some good routes near Albuquerque, there are several new routes in the area posted on bikepacking.com recently.

Topic Name: Two big New Mexico Bikepacking Routes - wanna help me chart and ride them? Reply #23 on: December 17, 2017, 09:26:53 AM
wahday

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2017, 09:26:53 AM »

Bumping this thread. I have been fiddling with variations on this ride for some time now, but finally sat down and created a complete, 750 mile route that begins and ends in Albuquerque. The route follows a verified alignment based on posted tracks by other riders. I have attached it as a .gpx and .kmz file.

I cobbled this mainly from:
Continental Divide Trail (Scott Morris and Eszter Horanyi's 2014 through ride)
Grand Enchantment Trail (Scott Morris and Lee Blackwell’s through ride)
Valles Caldera Supervolcano Explorer (ride contributed to bikepacking.com by Cass Gilbert)

The ride traverses a range of volcanic landscapes: through the Valles Caldera super volcano, over Mount Taylor, alongside El Malpais lava flows and across the vast Mogollon-Datil volcanic field. In Socorro, the route crosses east of the Rio Grande and wends its way back to Albuquerque via the fault-block range of the Sandia-Manzano mountains. That’s if you run it counter clockwise.

The ride (again, running it counter clockwise) begins by taking the Railrunner train north from Albuquerque to the Kewa Station at Santo Domingo Pueblo. It concludes by riding back into the Sandia foothills through Tijeras pass east of Albuquerque.

Sources and links:
Scott Morris CDT 2014 Journal: http://topofusion.com/diary/cdt-2014-diary/
Ezster Horanyi’s CDT New Mexico ride profiled by Salsa Cycles: http://salsacycles.com/culture/bikepacking_the_continental_divide_trail_new_mexico
Grand Enchantment Trail: http://www.bikepacking.net/routes/grand-enchantment-trail/
Valles Caldera Explorer: http://www.bikepacking.com/routes/valles-caldera-explorer/

* ring-of-fire-nm750.gpx (422.27 KB - downloaded 132 times.)
* Ring of Fire NM750.kmz (66.83 KB - downloaded 138 times.)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 10:12:36 AM by wahday » Logged
  Pages: 1 [2]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: