Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Total Length I-35 Route on: September 15, 2008, 07:46:57 AM
craig

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2008, 07:46:57 AM »

One of the first really long distance bikepack tours I took. The side roads along I-35.
From Duluth MN to Laredo TX. With few exceptions most were county/state routes. As I use a mountain bike for all my touring, I even used gravel roads. In Oklahoma and Texas you can use the shoulders of the Interstates except in city limits of large cities. Usually there are nearby lower traffic roads if high speed traffic is unnerving.
I used this route as almost every 10 miles has a gas station with a cafe or groceries.
I was better able to figure mileage between towns etc. As I stealth camp 90% of my
tours this also provides many bridges and overpasses for cooking and camping when there are heavy rains.

Pedal plenty
Craig

Topic Name: Total Length I-35 Route Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 04:28:03 PM
REV

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 04:28:03 PM »

nice,

I am sure that was quiet the adventure, and I would enjoy reading the tale.

I am in DTX and have choose to head north, mostly exploring the gravel roads in north Texas and southern Oklahoma.

Topic Name: Total Length I-35 Route Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 11:04:46 AM
8bit

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 11:04:46 AM »

I'm impressed - I've always tried to think of a way to quickly ride between my parents' house near Plano, TX and my real hometown of Austin when I go back to visit TX. I seriously never thought of riding the access roads! What did you do about the parts in the boondocks where there's a creek and the access road just does a U-turn under the highway? Did you wade through or try to find a side route?
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: