Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: the Vermont Super 8 route + grand depart Sep 27, 2019 on: July 29, 2019, 12:38:15 PM
bonkism

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2019, 12:38:15 PM »

The VT Super 8 is a 640-mile gravel bikepacking route in the shape of an 8 that covers the Green Mountain State. Check it out at vermontbikepackers.org/routes.

In 2016, @groundshine reached out to me and to another friend in southern VT in an effort to scout loop options for the infamous XVT Bikepack Route. Point-to-point rides are great, but the logistics are always an extra barrier, so why not loop? The initial plan was to connect as much singletrack as possible, but as the initiative grew -- and as gravel and monstercross bikes continued their foray into bikepacking -- it became apparent that connecting singletrack networks wasn't the best future for this route. Singletrack in VT is usually really twisty and hard to navigate on your GPS device, especially at night, and especially when trails are constantly getting maintained and re-routed by trail organizations (which is a great thing!). So we abandoned that idea and just focused on charting a huge, amazing route that takes you to some of the weirdest corners of Vermont using some of the most remote roads as practically possible. VT's "Class 4" roads are ancient town highways that are required to be cleared of deadfall by towns, but are not required to have their surfaces maintained... read: sweet, chunky miles. They don't close when it rains, although they are often torn up by ATV traffic. We continue to use the state's public road database to ensure the route is legal, which is no small feat considering the number of populated square miles per total state land area. We also capitalize on Vermont's unique human geography (small towns in every direction) so that resupply points are spaced strategically along the route, making this ideal for a light touring setup.

So the Super 8 is like the gravel cousin of the XVT. It's like the Green Mountain Gravel Growler, except it's bigger, hillier (fewer flat sections per mile), and it gets you away from the touristy bits.

We intend this route to serve as a basis for custom bikepacking trips. You can access the Super 8 from Amtrak train stations in Montpelier or Brattleboro (near Mass). Or you can travel to Burlington and take the Cross Vermont Trail or the Green Mountain Gravel Growler until it meets up with the Super 8. (Pretty soon you will be able to access it from the Eastern Divide ... who has tabs on that??). It has been written that "you can't really pick a bad road in Vermont," ... I would agree! But why not let us pick the best ones?  Wink

This year's Super 8 Grand Depart on Friday, Sep 27 in Montpelier, VT will be hosted on trackleaders! If I remember I'll post the link here. We have approx. 20 people signed up at this point (and at least one ITT). Because the route is in the shape of an 8, riders have 3 mileage options to loop back to Montpelier: 260 (north lobe), 380 (south lobe), or 640 (full 8!). I know it's late, but if you're interested in joining, send a letter of intent to dan@vermontbikepackers.org.

Current FKT of any revision of the Super 8: Payton Macdonald in June 2018: 7 days, 3 hrs, 40 mins. Rumor is he is heading to the GD again this year.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 01:10:29 PM by bonkism » Logged
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: