Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: The Sheltowee Trace NRT on: January 31, 2017, 11:31:59 AM
JimL

View Profile WWW
« on: January 31, 2017, 11:31:59 AM »

Cross posting for those looking to ride in TN/KY.

http://zipspot.blogspot.com/2017/01/the-sheltowee-trace-nrt.html

Topic Name: The Sheltowee Trace NRT Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 07:57:34 AM
munky

What the hell is going on out there?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 07:57:34 AM »

Looks interesting. I've routed a route from Big South Fork, TN to I-64 in KY, about 40 miles north of the Red River Gorge. The route uses some of the "choice" sections of the Sheltowee Trace that are highlighted on Mtb project and the rest uses jeep trails, forest service roads, a few other pieces of singletrack, and a very little bit of pavement. I'm not sure what I'm getting into but I'm pretty excited about checking it out. All in all, its about ~230 miles one way.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Roll the Earth

Topic Name: The Sheltowee Trace NRT Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 09:50:27 AM
honkonbobo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 09:50:27 AM »

Looks interesting. I've routed a route from Big South Fork, TN to I-64 in KY, about 40 miles north of the Red River Gorge. The route uses some of the "choice" sections of the Sheltowee Trace that are highlighted on Mtb project and the rest uses jeep trails, forest service roads, a few other pieces of singletrack, and a very little bit of pavement. I'm not sure what I'm getting into but I'm pretty excited about checking it out. All in all, its about ~230 miles one way.

I'll let you know how it goes.

i did the thru ride with the OP and fwiw if i was going to do another ride of "choice" sections of the sheltowee i wouldn't ride anything south of hwy 27 between Flat Rock and Whitley City.  sure, there are a few sections that are decent before that but the net-net of it isn't unless you want to do ALOT of hiking and dragging your bike over boulders.  if you are looking to do ~230 miles Jim and I would both strongly suggest you do the 230 miles ending (or starting) at the northern terminus and cutting off the southern most stuff.  ymmv if you have the route worked out to avoid the worst sections but if thats the case there won't be much trail riding left. 

as a general statement its vastly more rideable and enjoyable when you get near and cross over I75 heading north and even then some sections are iffy.  no matter what section(s) you ride...  to enjoy the sheltowee, you need to go in with the mentality is that its all an adventure and hiking/carrying your bike is part of it.       

Topic Name: The Sheltowee Trace NRT Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 10:46:59 AM
munky

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 10:46:59 AM »

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'm not picking up the Sheltowee until mile 70 (starting from Big South Fork) around Cumberland Falls State Park and then I"m using it for the entire time until I hit Arvel, about 30 miles south of the RRG. From there I'll be using a combination of singletrack, doubletrack, dirt roads, and pavement until I reach Cave Run Lake, just shy of I-64. I was mistaken (I wasn't looking at my gpx file and just went on memory) the entire route is actually 273 miles.

I've done a fair amount of bikepacking, including a route around WV last summer that was nearly 800 miles long and more than half off-road, but getting first-hand knowledge and advice is always nice. What kind of mph can I expect on that stretch from Cumberland Falls State Park to Arvel  using the Sheltowee (about 50 miles of that is below 75 where you warned of heinous hike a bike hell)? I pack pretty light and I'll be riding a rigid El Mariachi with Minions. In addition, I'd say that I'm a pretty confident trail rider and I've ridden many times over 100 miles in a day on a tour (albeit, not all 100 trail miles though). Maybe that will give a little more insight into a reasonable expectation for mph for me on that stretch.  Also, how's resupply look like along that stretch? I read your trip report that you posted on the blog above but I thought you might be able to add a little more insight. These will be the closest, or on route, "towns" that might offer resupply while on the Sheltowee- Cumberland Falls State Resort, New Zion, Hisle, Symbol, and Holly Boy Campground.

Thanks for any help in advance

Munky

Roll the Earth

Topic Name: The Sheltowee Trace NRT Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 06:34:25 AM
JimL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 06:34:25 AM »

Hey munky,

What kind of mph can I expect on that stretch from Cumberland Falls State Park to Arvel

We averaged 3.9 mph on that stretch.  I had 43.69 miles and 11:13 H:M of moving time to go from the Cumberland Lodge to our second resupply in Bernstadt, KY.  In Bernstadt, we had a pizza dinner from the gas station / gun shop, bivvy’d on the grass lawn between a chapel and a cemetery, and refueled / breakfast at the same station before going two days / 120 miles to the next resupply just before the Red River Gorge.  The Mountain Parkway exit you ride by has good services.

I pack pretty light and I'll be riding a rigid El Mariachi with Minions.

Hmm…  I don’t know if I’d want to go out there fully rigid.  And the concept of a ‘light kit’ on this course may consist of a Borat suit in a toothpaste tube cap.  Depends on how much weight you can lift above your head.

Also, how's resupply look like along that stretch?

Water: non-potable aplenty.  Food/Services/Etc.: Zero.  I’m unsure what may be off-course.

As with anything, YMMV.  You’ll definitely become perceptive to your position on our comments once on the trail.  Smiley

Does this help?

Jim
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 06:39:20 AM by JimL » Logged

Topic Name: The Sheltowee Trace NRT Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 07:00:12 AM
munky

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 07:00:12 AM »

Yes this helps. Thank you. Looks like I'll be carrying more food than I usually like but it'll be worth it and I'll be moving slower than I'm used to. Might need to readjust my time frame a bit to finish this tour.

Roll the Earth

Topic Name: The Sheltowee Trace NRT Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 07:16:21 AM
shane.rrr

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 07:16:21 AM »

I am interested in riding the Sheltowee, I actually met the guy that years ago attempted the first through bike and posted it online but I lost his phone number. I'm not sure if I have the time to do the whole thing so may try and piece it together through weekend trips this summer. 
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: